Latest PSU headlines:

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 616 ... LastLast

thanks for that buddy, but it sounds a bit strange, OS reserved is set to 10% of the hdd's space regardless ...

Yip-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by plAythiNG View Post
    thanks for that buddy, but it sounds a bit strange, OS reserved is set to 10% of the hdd's space regardless ...

Think its the simplest way for an OS to do this, set a %, rather than if got 20 gig reserve 2 gig i got 60 gig resverve 5 gig etc.. which means the same OS formula can be used across the board....

Read before swapping hd if you have newer firmware!!!!!!!

Up until this eve i was all about sony and how great they are. I even ignored forum posts about people's systems getting bricked by bad updates. well i got screwed tonight! i went to put a new 250GB hd in the PS3 and when i started it up I was greeted with a screen telling me to connect a controller with the usb cable and hit the psone button. this did nothing. i then put my old hd back in and got the same thing!!!! called sony support, i gotta send my system back. i can almost guarantee this is due to something with the latest updates (i did 2.4.2. but not 2.4.1.) as i saw people stuck on the same screen after 2.4.1. in the forums. I am so pissed. if i would've jammed a screwdriver in there and scraped it around, etc, i would've understood it breaking but i did nothing and handled both hd's like live organs for transplant. it's sony's ****ty updates that did me. if you have newer firmware think 2x about updating the drive....

well i put a wd 320gb driv ein mine, n my firmware was 2.42 .... so dont be hesitant guys... it worked for me !!!

I see alot of people who get bricked by updates and have had other hardware probs in the short time this system has been out. How Sony gets a free pass on this stuff in the press while MS gets creamed for their red ring of death probs, etc, is beyond me. Don't get me wrong, i hate MS and would never buy an XBOX but I realize now that Sony has some very serious problems as well. I mean how much worse can it get then my system being bricked during a factory approved upgrade that is barely a technical procedure? I clearly didn't 'break' it, it just had a firmware meltdown. I know how you people feel right now who have never had a problem with your PS3; i was like you and thought the sun shone out of sony's backside but just you wait until a random bricking happens to your system. Nothing can prepare you for it and you will be as pissed as I am right now. Plus unfortunately it's traumatized me for trying this again as I'm the person who suffers having to pack it up, send it back, wait for return, etc. I'm just glad this didn't happen after I started filling it up with media to use it as a media server, which was my plan but now the 250GB is going in my laptop which i was using for media (out to my LCD tv). The PS3 is now just a game console in my mind. It'll take me a long time to get over this, Sony. Pretty sad.

tbh, the ps3 isnt living up to its name.. yet of course, but still in the back of my mind, i still want to buy a xbox 360, hack the firmware n play "backed up" games on it, as more are currently available !!!

Apprentice

What's the difference between ATA-100 and ATA-300 and would it matter with the PS3?

Master Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    If I were to get a 320GB HDD for my PS3, would it really eat up 30GB just for the OS? I am looking into upgrading, y'see, and 320GB would be perfect - but I don't fancy wasting 30GB on the OS alone.

Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul.

bildo17

Swapping HDs between 2 PS3s

My PS3 died, so I removed the hard drive and bought a used PS3, thinking I could put the hd from the old PS3 into the new and thus save all my settings, game info, etc. When I put the old hd in the new PS3, however, it said that the hard drive needed to be formatted, deleting all info on it; I chose "No", and the PS3 said it could not continue because it was the "wrong" hard drive. Any advice on how I can work around this problem? BTW, the old PS3 is totally dead, so I can't use it to save anything from the original hard drive. I also tried hooking the original hard drive to a pc, but it didn't recognize the info.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bill

Yip-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    If I were to get a 320GB HDD for my PS3, would it really eat up 30GB just for the OS? I am looking into upgrading, y'see, and 320GB would be perfect - but I don't fancy wasting 30GB on the OS alone.
    simple answer yep !

Quote Originally Posted by bildo17 View Post
    My PS3 died, so I removed the hard drive and bought a used PS3, thinking I could put the hd from the old PS3 into the new and thus save all my settings, game info, etc. When I put the old hd in the new PS3, however, it said that the hard drive needed to be formatted, deleting all info on it; I chose "No", and the PS3 said it could not continue because it was the "wrong" hard drive. Any advice on how I can work around this problem? BTW, the old PS3 is totally dead, so I can't use it to save anything from the original hard drive. I also tried hooking the original hard drive to a pc, but it didn't recognize the info.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bill

Only thing i could suggest is to buy a cheap non powered external case, for about 5 - 10. put the old ps3 drive in that it might recognise it, but i'm not 100% sure if it will or not ?

other than that no idea's

Hey All

I have a new ps3 that was given to me by my insurance company as the old one was stolen and recovered all scratched, so i am selling the scratched one to a friend but i want to keep all my saved game data for COD4 etc , looking at some of the posts above it seems i cannot just swap over the old hard drive to my new ps3 as it would wipe it when reformatting it, Could anyone offer any advice on how i can get my data from 1 ps3 to another ?. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Yip-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by leeroy123 View Post
    Hey All

I have a new ps3 that was given to me by my insurance company as the old one was stolen and recovered all scratched, so i am selling the scratched one to a friend but i want to keep all my saved game data for COD4 etc , looking at some of the posts above it seems i cannot just swap over the old hard drive to my new ps3 as it would wipe it when reformatting it, Could anyone offer any advice on how i can get my data from 1 ps3 to another ?. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

save your game saves on to a memory card or a USB flash drive...

Insert Flash / Memory Card

Go to Game saves then the game save you want.

press triangle, then copy it will then give you option to save the game save to Stick..

have to do all game saves one by one..

Cheers Yip-Man, Thought it might be as simple as that but wanted to check. Will this also save my online stats on COD4 , as i am on 55 prestige mode and dont want to start off again?

Yip-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by leeroy123 View Post
    Cheers Yip-Man, Thought it might be as simple as that but wanted to check. Will this also save my online stats on COD4 , as i am on 55 prestige mode and dont want to start off again?

Yep, they will everything will be cool, only thing is u'll have to re download any installs and updates for games !

hey guys i finnaly got around to upgrading my 60 gig ps3 hdd but then i ran into a problem..... i stripped those damn screws...lol anyway i solved tht using needle nose pliers and i had to make sure it was a small size or otherwise i wooldnt be able to turn the screw but i found the right one and got it out then i switched my 60 gig to a 320 gig wd 5400rpm whisper drive and it works like a charm and i just wanted to let u guys know if u need help just ask, and ill give you some advice, if u cant get it out at all even with pliers, go to circuit city or best buy and they will do it for u and i suggest ccity cuz they dont charge money.so now i have my 320 gig internal hdd and the old 60 gig as an external drive and an external drive i used to back up my data (250g) so now i have a total of 630g on my ps3 lol

PSN: Static219
    Xbox live: StaticX219

Yip-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Static219 View Post
    hey guys i finnaly got around to upgrading my 60 gig ps3 hdd but then i ran into a problem..... i stripped those damn screws...lol anyway i solved tht using needle nose pliers and i had to make sure it was a small size or otherwise i wooldnt be able to turn the screw but i found the right one and got it out then i switched my 60 gig to a 320 gig wd 5400rpm whisper drive and it works like a charm and i just wanted to let u guys know if u need help just ask, and ill give you some advice, if u cant get it out at all even with pliers, go to circuit city or best buy and they will do it for u and i suggest ccity cuz they dont charge money.so now i have my 320 gig internal hdd and the old 60 gig as an external drive and an external drive i used to back up my data (250g) so now i have a total of 630g on my ps3 lol

PSN: Static219
    Xbox live: StaticX219
    The screw problem is mainly on the wearly models, Sony on later models have improved the screws... If you are worried about stripping screws Call Sony before you swap the drive tell them you have stripped the screws and they send you out a new caddy with better secrews free of charge...

The screws are soft, but i found a penknife phillips head screw driver bit, works like a dream at getting these out. a tool for all jobs.

any glad you got it sorted.

Superior Member
    If i were to buy an external USB HDD would it be recognized by the PS3 to use it as the backup storage HDD for when i upgrade to a 320gb HDD? I want to back up everything on the external one and then transfer everything over to the new one once its installed.

Also, What brand / specs HDD should i buy for my PS3, i know it has to be a laptop 2.5" but, 5400 or 7400, 8mb or 16mb cache, etc etc?
    Jmarsh04 says:
    Am I the only one who thinks Peter Moore looks like the devil?
    Seriously, picture him in a red cape, with horns and a pitchfork.
    ***MGS4 OFFICIALLY CONFIRMED FOR 360***

Yip-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by MMDs View Post
    If i were to buy an external USB HDD would it be recognized by the PS3 to use it as the backup storage HDD for when i upgrade to a 320gb HDD? I want to back up everything on the external one and then transfer everything over to the new one once its installed.

Also, What brand / specs HDD should i buy for my PS3, i know it has to be a laptop 2.5" but, 5400 or 7400, 8mb or 16mb cache, etc etc?

I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge

yep you can use a external drive to back up ps3, has to be formatted to FAT 32......

you have two options here, either the whole drive has to be formatted using free progrma like swiss knife , as windows will only allow you to do 32 gig (without using dos)....

A quick way would be to create a 32 gig FAT32 partion on your ready formatted drive. as you only want to back up your data ( this should be enough for most back ups)... then whne you plug drive into ps3, you will be able to back up ... (might have to use trianle and view all).

this will give you the back up.

as for drive type. I'ld go with a 5400 and 8mb as these the same spec's as orginal drive. lots of tests have been done on the faster and larger cached drives and the performance increase was very minimal, plus the 7200rpm drive did create extra heat within the ps3. so if it were me, i just got a 250 gig 5400 8mb drive, cheapest option at the time. but if you can get a 320 go for that if the price increase over 250 not to large.

Also might be worth buying a cheap external case for old drive, got for for around 3 - 5 formatted drive to fat32 which in total gave me 287 formatted.

Also have to remember that a 250 gig will give you 205once formatted as the OS reserves around 10% for its self and the mis match between actual gig 1024 and 1000 the manafactures use.

hope this helps

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yip-Man View Post
    I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge

yep you can use a external drive to back up ps3, has to be formatted to FAT 32......

you have two options here, either the whole drive has to be formatted using free progrma like swiss knife , as windows will only allow you to do 32 gig (without using dos)....

A quick way would be to create a 32 gig FAT32 partion on your ready formatted drive. as you only want to back up your data ( this should be enough for most back ups)... then whne you plug drive into ps3, you will be able to back up ... (might have to use trianle and view all).

this will give you the back up.

as for drive type. I'ld go with a 5400 and 8mb as these the same spec's as orginal drive. lots of tests have been done on the faster and larger cached drives and the performance increase was very minimal, plus the 7200rpm drive did create extra heat within the ps3. so if it were me, i just got a 250 gig 5400 8mb drive, cheapest option at the time. but if you can get a 320 go for that if the price increase over 250 not to large.

Also might be worth buying a cheap external case for old drive, got for for around 3 - 5 formatted drive to fat32 which in total gave me 287 formatted.

Also have to remember that a 250 gig will give you 205once formatted as the OS reserves around 10% for its self and the mis match between actual gig 1024 and 1000 the manafactures use.

hope this helps

Cool, I'll get the 5400 8mb 320gigger then.

Doesn't the PS3 format drives? If i were to plug in a brand new external drive that has never been formatted would it see it because if it does then you should be able to format it through the PS3, unless it will only recognize a Fat 32 formatted drive from the start by what your saying. Also does the external drive size matter, like does it also have to be a 2.5" or can it be both 3.5" or 2.5" because it doesn't matter?
    if i buy an external case for my old 60gig drive i would have to reformat it and use it for back ups? or other stuff? How big are the back ups? I have almost my whole 60gb drive filled with 2-3 gigs remaining how big in size will the back up be because i thought it would be however big everything is originally, i didn't know it compressed my files?

Thanks for your help
    Jmarsh04 says:

Yip-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by MMDs View Post
    Cool, I'll get the 5400 8mb 320gigger then.

Doesn't the PS3 format drives? If i were to plug in a brand new external drive that has never been formatted would it see it because if it does then you should be able to format it through the PS3, unless it will only recognize a Fat 32 formatted drive from the start by what your saying. Also does the external drive size matter, like does it also have to be a 2.5" or can it be both 3.5" or 2.5" because it doesn't matter?
    if i buy an external case for my old 60gig drive i would have to reformat it and use it for back ups? or other stuff? How big are the back ups? I have almost my whole 60gb drive filled with 2-3 gigs remaining how big in size will the back up be because i thought it would be however big everything is originally, i didn't know it compressed my files?

Thanks for your help
    The PS3 will formatt a drive inserted into it... but not external drives, you have to have them fat 32 formatted. you can buy any time of external drive you like that uses USB interface...

you would have to reformatt the old 60giger to FAT32 for the ps3 to be able to read it.....

If your ps3 is totally full might take more than 32 gig to back up... so might have to create a larger partion on ur current external drive... if you go for 60gig for the back up ... people recomend swiss knife as its free.

If you format ur current drive with a 32 gig partion in FAT 32 and try a backup the ps3 will tell you if there is enough space on external drive to complete back up - i'ld try that first. the other way is to delete some of ur game install to reduce back up size .. as you can re do them once new drive in ps3 !!

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yip-Man View Post
    The PS3 will formatt a drive inserted into it... but not external drives, you have to have them fat 32 formatted. you can buy any time of external drive you like that uses USB interface...

you would have to reformatt the old 60giger to FAT32 for the ps3 to be able to read it.....

If your ps3 is totally full might take more than 32 gig to back up... so might have to create a larger partion on ur current external drive... if you go for 60gig for the back up ... people recomend swiss knife as its free.

If you format ur current drive with a 32 gig partion in FAT 32 and try a backup the ps3 will tell you if there is enough space on external drive to complete back up - i'ld try that first. the other way is to delete some of ur game install to reduce back up size .. as you can re do them once new drive in ps3 !!
    sweet, thanks for the info, it certainly helps to know. +rep to you
    Jmarsh04 says:

Apprentice
    can anyone give me the link for the best and cheapest SATA hard drive that i should be installing into my PS3??

i'm gonna buy one tomorrow and i really want the best possible purchase......been ripped off to many times

thanks guys
    P S N user name birdyboy . . . THE LAST OF US WOW! !!

Yip-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by THE FORS View Post
    can anyone give me the link for the best and cheapest SATA hard drive that i should be installing into my PS3??

i'm gonna buy one tomorrow and i really want the best possible purchase......been ripped off to many times

thanks guys

Try Amazon , Dabs.com and CPC.co.uk these are some of the cheapest i've found. another way to save a bit , is not go for the largest eg 320gig

If money a bit tight, you can pick up a 320gig sata 5400rpm 8mb for around

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Scorpio-Internal-OEM/dp/B001COAOU4/ref=pd_cp_ce_1?pf_rd_p=136153791&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000SIG5QW&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL 5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0KDNJMZW0JH5HGZJ1JM5"]Amazon.co.uk: Western Digital Scorpio Blue 320GB SATA 8MB Cache 2.5 inch Internal Hard Drive OEM: Electronics & Photo[/ame]

This 67 , but a bit more searching could be a bit cheaper !

Apprentice

upgrade hdd worked fine for me :)

Well I did the upgrade been meaning to for awhile. Glad I waited as drive prices have come down, I got the Western Digital 320GB drive for $119 (CDN). I had backed up my PS3 on an external drive that is already FAT32.

PS3 is on firmware 2.42. Original 60GB unit bought within a few weeks of launch.

I recently bought a 4 pack of Duracell AA batteries that came with a min philips screwdriver, handle looks like an AA Duracell that I intended to try. I first tried every other philips screwdriver I had but they all seemed not any good/going to strip, then tried the 'Duracell' screwdriver and thankfully (I was starting to get worried)it worked fine, just needed to use a little muscle.

*I also googled and found instructions from the Playstation FAQ with pictures that helped.*

Booted, the new drive was formatted to 263GB free (my guess is that the PS3 uses space for the OS/XMB and a Swap file. Probably algorithm to set the swap file is for 10% of HDD).

Slightly suprised to see that my existing accounts were still intact. Ran the Restore (which formats the drive again) and it took about 1HR and 20Mins to restore less than 40GB (about 35GB). Have since downloaded a couple of demo's new drive has 229GB free space which seems like a lot right now.

Anyway, just wanted to say this works (will give Rep to thread starter), screws are tight as warned, proper screwdriver seem to do it for me.

Make sure you read instructions ahead of time, follow them closely and it is not a tough upgrade to perform.

Apprentice
    Here's the link I used.

http://au.playstation.com/support/ps..._upgrade.jhtml

Also found YouTube vide where the drive is replaced in about 2 mins.

Thread Information