Latest PSU headlines:

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 ... LastLast
    Yip-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuspete View Post
    Well I did the upgrade been meaning to for awhile. Glad I waited as drive prices have come down, I got the Western Digital 320GB drive for $119 (CDN). I had backed up my PS3 on an external drive that is already FAT32.

PS3 is on firmware 2.42. Original 60GB unit bought within a few weeks of launch.

I recently bought a 4 pack of Duracell AA batteries that came with a min philips screwdriver, handle looks like an AA Duracell that I intended to try. I first tried every other philips screwdriver I had but they all seemed not any good/going to strip, then tried the 'Duracell' screwdriver and thankfully (I was starting to get worried)it worked fine, just needed to use a little muscle.

*I also googled and found instructions from the Playstation FAQ with pictures that helped.*

Booted, the new drive was formatted to 263GB free (my guess is that the PS3 uses space for the OS/XMB and a Swap file. Probably algorithm to set the swap file is for 10% of HDD).

Slightly suprised to see that my existing accounts were still intact. Ran the Restore (which formats the drive again) and it took about 1HR and 20Mins to restore less than 40GB (about 35GB). Have since downloaded a couple of demo's new drive has 229GB free space which seems like a lot right now.

Anyway, just wanted to say this works (will give Rep to thread starter), screws are tight as warned, proper screwdriver seem to do it for me.

Make sure you read instructions ahead of time, follow them closely and it is not a tough upgrade to perform.

cheers for the rep, yes, i have found it really is down to the proper screw driver, was changing out a HDD in PC last week ran into exactly the same problem.. so went back to the trusty penknife - with a phillips head... I know not even a really good one, but works like a dream.. the swiss know best when it comes to screw drivers - must be due to all those watches they make

size drive

Can I change to a 1TB drive? whats the best one?

Yip-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by RICCOJ View Post
    Can I change to a 1TB drive? whats the best one?

there are currently no 1TB laptop drives for internal installation within the PS3. most largest are around 320gig...

the only way you can get 1TB is through an external drive, which does not give u all the features as one installed internally.

however, there is a way round this, you can get on the market connection wires and products which attach to the ps3's caddy, so you can attach a larger external drive through the internal port. a bit messy with wires coming out of PS3 to external drive.

I personally would stick to a 320 gig internal laptop drive.

Lunar_Chaos
    Quote Originally Posted by Yip-Man View Post
    there are currently no 1TB laptop drives for internal installation within the PS3. most largest are around 320gig...

the only way you can get 1TB is through an external drive, which does not give u all the features as one installed internally.

however, there is a way round this, you can get on the market connection wires and products which attach to the ps3's caddy, so you can attach a larger external drive through the internal port. a bit messy with wires coming out of PS3 to external drive.

I personally would stick to a 320 gig internal laptop drive.
    I don't even see how someone can use 1TB on a PS3.

Over Kill much? I think so...

Yip-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Luner_Chaos View Post
    I don't even see how someone can use 1TB on a PS3.

Over Kill much? I think so...

It is overkill, unless the rip HD movies !, very easy to use up 1tb in HD moves.

think of 25 gig of HD film * 40 = 1tb. so can be used. also installing it 1 tb internally would stop the need for splitting into 4gig sections. - prob, but guessing

Apprentice
    Just upgraded my 40gb to 250gb and it was a snap cept the last little screw wasn't too friendly D Now I have plenty of space for movies/demos/music or a OS if I really wanted one. Crappy part about all of this is since I didn't have a external disk drive bigger then 2gb I couldn't backup a few game saves like Rock Band. Now I have to play it all over again nuuuu!

Yip-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Michio View Post
    Just upgraded my 40gb to 250gb and it was a snap cept the last little screw wasn't too friendly D Now I have plenty of space for movies/demos/music or a OS if I really wanted one. Crappy part about all of this is since I didn't have a external disk drive bigger then 2gb I couldn't backup a few game saves like Rock Band. Now I have to play it all over again nuuuu!

was the simgle game save over 2gig - or was it all of them, cos once you have filled up the stick you could have just saved in on a PC etc, emptied the stick then re put saves on... however, if single save over 2 gig - this would have been no help at all.

cool in getting into the large HHD club !

Apprentice
    nah the game save was less then 13mb and I had well over 1.5gb left to spare. I tried backing up the game saves and what not from the backup utility feature on the ps3 but it wouldn't let me since I didn't have a external drive with more then 14gb of space to use and wouldn't let me select what I wanted to backup either. So i just went to where the game saves were located and one by one copied them but rockband wouldn't let me. DRM Issues I think.

Yip-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Michio View Post
    nah the game save was less then 13mb and I had well over 1.5gb left to spare. I tried backing up the game saves and what not from the backup utility feature on the ps3 but it wouldn't let me since I didn't have a external drive with more then 14gb of space to use and wouldn't let me select what I wanted to backup either. So i just went to where the game saves were located and one by one copied them but rockband wouldn't let me. DRM Issues I think.

Just so you know, if you had gone ot each game save, and pressed triangle it gives you the option to copy (if got stick in ps3 can copy to that) , have to do it one at a time, but can fill up stick that way with only game gaves, once stick is full put on to pc wipe stick and start again !

Apprentice
    lol that's exactly what I did. Took me like 7mins or so since I had so many game saves... I did copy them onto computer and even formatted the usb drive to make sure after but problem still exist. I was unable to copy the RockBand game save. Would not allow me to copy it directly to usb and I wasnt able to select one by one on the built in backup feature on the ps3 either so yea.. No real biggie though I just have to unlock all the songs again..

just so I don't assume incorrectly, but I just got my ps3, and plan to upgrade my hdd soon. I only have one game save on the drive, so the drive is pretty much virginal. Would I need to back up to keep my psn account?

Yip-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Jor-El View Post
    just so I don't assume incorrectly, but I just got my ps3, and plan to upgrade my hdd soon. I only have one game save on the drive, so the drive is pretty much virginal. Would I need to back up to keep my psn account?
    from what i remember no, i don't think so, the only thing you may have to do is re type in your login details, but as far as i remember it knew that after HHD swap, but just write it down in case, but if only got one save don't worry about back up, unless you got externall then might as well.

not really much help there really

Superior Member
    Hi guys,

Ganna upgrade the system to 320gb this weekend, I'm backing up as I type this (1 hour!)

My question is, Do I have to put in all my friends names again or is this included in the backup?

thanks in advance.
    60gb PS3 Upgraded to 320gb, 46" 1080p 100hz LCD, 2.1 Surround sound

Yip-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by sharmps3 View Post
    Hi guys,

Ganna upgrade the system to 320gb this weekend, I'm backing up as I type this (1 hour!)

My question is, Do I have to put in all my friends names again or is this included in the backup?

thanks in advance.

erm all your friends stay, as the all to do with online.... also make sure all your trophies stuff has been synconised as well or will lose them, the bit where you go into the trophy icon on the xmb.

u wont regret the upgrade...

Apprentice
    You won't lose your friend list. It's connected to your psn account, so aslong as you remember it you won't have to worry about it.

Superior Member
    I currently have a 60G and I've used up about 32G out of 55G. I'm thinking of upgrading to the samsung 320G 5400rpm on newegg. I'd like to know of some peoples experiences with this HDD. I know a bunch of people on here have it because it was on sale awhile ago. And has anyone had any problems whatsoever with it? I read a few peoples reviews (they installed this into their laptop) and they mentioned about a "clicking" or something. Anyone have this or any other issues with it? Or anyone have any good/bad experience with a smaller HDD (but bigger than my 60)? Thanks
    40" Samsung HDTV | 5.1 Surround Sound | 60G PS3 | 32+ PS3 games | 42 PS2 games |
    12 classic PS games.

"They say fortune favors the bold... lucky me"
    "My vengence is everything"

Yip-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by La_Resistance View Post
    I currently have a 60G and I've used up about 32G out of 55G. I'm thinking of upgrading to the samsung 320G 5400rpm on newegg. I'd like to know of some peoples experiences with this HDD. I know a bunch of people on here have it because it was on sale awhile ago. And has anyone had any problems whatsoever with it? I read a few peoples reviews (they installed this into their laptop) and they mentioned about a "clicking" or something. Anyone have this or any other issues with it? Or anyone have any good/bad experience with a smaller HDD (but bigger than my 60)? Thanks

I got a 250WD - no probs drive is a bit noiser but thats it....

A lot of people on here have got 320 drives, no one i know has any probs...

Superior Member
    Yea I haven't heard anyone who installed the 320 in a PS3 having any problems. I just wanted to make sure and hear some peoples experiences/feelings on it. My 60G hasn't skipped a beat and I've had it since the US launch. And one more question, If the HDD goes down, will that ruin my whole system or would I just be able to put my old one back in and it'll be fine again?
    40" Samsung HDTV | 5.1 Surround Sound | 60G PS3 | 32+ PS3 games | 42 PS2 games |
    12 classic PS games.

"They say fortune favors the bold... lucky me"
    "My vengence is everything"

Elite Sage
    Just went from 60GB to 160GB.

Everything was smooth and easy. I backed up all my files which took one and a half hours. I then replaced the old HDD with the new one and had no problem with the screws. After that I formatted the new HDD which took around 30 seconds. I then restored my old files (1 hour 30 minutes) and now everything is back as it is. I didn't have to reinstall anything and all my files are as I left them. From my theme to my PSN games. The process was easy and I'm sure anyone can do it.

gruddy gruddy gruddy gruddy

Yip-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by La_Resistance View Post
    Yea I haven't heard anyone who installed the 320 in a PS3 having any problems. I just wanted to make sure and hear some peoples experiences/feelings on it. My 60G hasn't skipped a beat and I've had it since the US launch. And one more question, If the HDD goes down, will that ruin my whole system or would I just be able to put my old one back in and it'll be fine again?
    Erm not sure i think the ps3 would re format the old hhd whne you put it backin , so back up data once get new drive !

Quote Originally Posted by gruddy View Post
    Just went from 60GB to 160GB.

Everything was smooth and easy. I backed up all my files which took one and a half hours. I then replaced the old HDD with the new one and had no problem with the screws. After that I formatted the new HDD which took around 30 seconds. I then restored my old files (1 hour 30 minutes) and now everything is back as it is. I didn't have to reinstall anything and all my files are as I left them. From my theme to my PSN games. The process was easy and I'm sure anyone can do it.
    good to here mate,

Super Elite
    So is the XMB operating system stored in another internal memory and you will just have to reformat the new drive and it loads back on to the new drive.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Apprentice

I have finally got the balls to upgrade my harddrive . Just ordered a WD Scorpio 320GB from play.com.

Thanks to this topic I have the balls so +rep to the thread starter .
    Original 60gb PS3 [Now 320gb]
    Game Count: 58 (not including PSN Games)

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by macp View Post
    So is the XMB operating system stored in another internal memory and you will just have to reformat the new drive and it loads back on to the new drive.
    The XMB and the PS3 operating system is stored internally so if you install a new hdd it wont be affected. However in my case the hdd might not be reconized and format automatically so your going to have to have a usb with the 2.42 or 2.43 firmware installation on it.

Super Elite
    So on the usb drive if if it doesn't recognize the drive for instance do you have to have the firmware downloaded from the playstation site or do you need an actual backup of the firmware that you have installed on the PS3.

Yip-Man
    @Macp

Sometimes when you have 2.42 or higher firmware and you install a new HHD, it requires you to have the firmware on a USB stick to be able to formatt the HHD and install the firmware.... us what you have to do , is use a PC so to playstation.com for your region, and downlaod the latest version of the firmware onto a stick following the directions layed out in the website... once this is done , to format and install a new HHD, put in the new HHD and insert usb stick into machine turn on, and the PSŁ will successfully update everything and formatt the HHD and make sure latest firmware is up to date etc.

Thread Information