Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 17 111 ... LastLast
    Yip-Man

Low on HDD Space & Changing Internal Drive

If you are starting to get low on HDD space, you basically have three options.

1. Delete some stuff!
    2. New Internal Hard Drive
    3. New External Hard Drive

Option 1.

Delete Stuff.

There are a number of things you can do here to free up some HHD space.

1. Have you any old Demo's or Trailers you don't need - If so these can easily stack up to a few gig.

2. Delete Game installs of games you no longer play.. These can take up a few gig each.. If you not playing it delete it.. You can always re install if you want to play the game again. I know it will waste time but if you need space and don't want to buy a new external or internal Drive.

3. If you already have a external dirve FAT32 formatted, transfer music, game installs, pictures and video's to this... Then if you need to use the installs again you can transfer them back to PS3 HHD.

Option 2.

New larger Internal Drive.

If you have the cash to buy one this is the best option, as you can reuse the old drive, and you get alot more space.

I would say go for either 250 or 320 gig as they not too expensive at present, but buy what you can afford.. check on the web for best prices in your region. At present the Largest 2.5inch SATA drive is 320gig.

Make sure you get a 2.5' SATA, as the Larger 3.5' SATA drive will not fit.. Basicly the PS3 uses any 2.5' SATA Laptop Drive...

Problems you may encounter

This has been well documented on this forum that the soft non magentic screws can be a little tricky to get in or out. My suggestion is get the right tool for the job then you get no problems.....

If you are looknig to get a new external case for your old Drive, look for a non powered one that comes with a screw driver and order that at same time, so you will have the correct tool for the job.. Then it'll only take a few minutes to complete.

The Benefit

This option then gives you the best of both worlds, a new large internal drive and a 40-60-80 gig drive to use as external for backing up music prictures etc, that will easily connet to PC via USB.

How To do this !

Here's a video of the Install process

[ame="http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1025107/how_to_change_a_ps3_hdd_hard_disk_drive/"]HDD swap[/ame]

Thanks to Metacafe.com (where the video is) and Notanovice for the URL

Here's a Video From youtube on the Slim drive swap ... looks ok, Credit to the creator !....

http://www.youtube.com/v/5sRkj89axOU..._embedded&fs=1

First and foremost you know if you have the correct screw driver head if you can undo this with not to much pressure and the driver head does not start to ride out of the screw, if it begins to ride out of screw head - STOP you are using the wrong screw driver..

The Screw head is a Philips head and not a prozi drive head these look very similar

Philips head - Has a cross pattern similar to This (+)

Prozi Drive Head - This is simlar to the Philips head except the are four more smaller cross heads in the driver or head. One small one between each large cross. ( hope that makes sense) if not google it !

Attachment 2006

If you have bought an external case that contains a screw driver this sohuld fit !!! - if not could try a cheap penknife (as found these work well too). Please please make sure it fits.. IF when you begin the turn the Screw Driver with reasonable pressure it begins to ride out check you have the correct driver and Size, if it is still a little stiff - an old Trick is to tighten it slightly first, this will usually make undoing easier, always remember righty tighty - lefty loosey !

Step One

Either back up ur PS3 from System options, This will require a FAT32 formatted external Hard Drive. If you have not i recomend you just use a Flash Drive to copy your game save too..

go to Game - Game Saves - on each game save press Triangle - then copy to Flash Drive... continue to all your game saves have been transferred. If you run out of space on the Flash drive - plug into PC, and copy to PC's hard drive in a location you will remember. thne continue copying across.. This will mean however, remembering your PSN Logon details and re downloading PSN titles (in the download tab), as have 5 downloads per purchase... And all game installs and updates will also have to be re done.

Step 2

Thanks to Cnet for pics..
    Open the HHD Flap on the Side of the PS3.. you will thne see a bright blue Screw, remove this carefully (remember the advice above). once this has been removed you can pull the lever and the Hard Drive Caddy will slide out of the PS3...

Thanks to Cnet for Pics..
    Remove the four screws from the side of the caddy (remembering the earlier tips). and pull out the old Drive, slot in the new one, as reverse Step 2.

step 3

Re logon onto PS3 - will prompt you to format say yes... this will then format your PS3 for a 250 gig you will have around 232 gig to play with once formatted.

Then re put in PSn logon details and Router info, Logon to PSn re-download any PSN titles you have bought. Copy Game saves back from Flash Drive - by plugging in Flash drive and going to Game Saves - then Flash Drive then Traingle to give you copy options.

Step 4.

Place your Old hard drive into the external casing as per the instructions - format using a PC to FAT 32 - most people like using Partion Magic as it lets you formatt a drive with larger partions that 32gig (standard Window Limit).

Here is a link to a free partition tool - I have Know idea how good it is, but its free to home users...

So might be worth downloading

http://www.partition-tool.com/

There you have it a new HHD and External Drive.

What if I strip my screws in my Caddy ?

If by chance you do strip your screws, use a pair of long nose pliers to remove the screws, this method in nearly all cases works, you may damage the screws but least got old drive out.

The next thing is to call Sony Customer services in your region. I have spoke to one or two people who have stripped their screws, and one quick call to Sony, and a new caddy was on the way free of charge. So if you do or have in the past stripped the screws give Sony a call, and get a brand new one form Sony for Free, they have even supplied the new caddy with tougher screws (yippee).

Option 3.

Buy an External Drive Plug into USB port.

This is mainly useful for extra storage of Music Picture and Backups, you can move game saves demo's and installs to this Drive.....

However you if you want to USE the Game save or Install for a game you need to movoe it back to the PS3's hard drive...

I hope this is of some help, i have not had a great deal of time to do this, when i get some more time at work, will add a few helpfull pics etc.

Oh on a side note, if anyone is going to be upgrading their HHD drive in PS3, and would not mind taking a few photo's of some of the steps, I'll Rep you and add you as part of content creators.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 11-16-2012 at 07:46.

2. Likes BishopHart likes this post
    Elite Member
    Are the HDD region locked?

Ultimate Veteran
    Very good thread there mate, well done.

Follow me on twitter @Carl1412

Yip-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
    Are the HDD region locked?

Nope - i have ansered your other question in the thread you orginally asked

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    Very good thread there mate, well done.
    Cheers, hopefully will get some pic's and stuff from people doing theirs, so can add a bit to it, but cheers !

Please don't double post ~Carl

Doh sorry, Cheers for doing that.

Comatosed
    Nice idea for a thread and well put together +rep to you.

Edit: Removed the video, no point it being here twice.

@Nightcrawler: Please tell me you're joking???

Edit: I'm all repped out, will rep you when it lets me

Yip-Man
    @Notanovice, would you be able to PM me the Video, so I can add it into the thread, will credit you for it as well .

Whats the largest hdd i could install to the 40gb PS3??

Comatosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoilt*Gp View Post
    Whats the largest hdd i could install to the 40gb PS3??
    Whatever the largest 2.5" SATA is that you can find, thats the only limit!!

Ultimate Veteran
    You can install any 2.5 inch SATA HDD - so whatever is the capacity you can find with those specifications. I believe it's 320GB at the momoment? Someone will clarify i'm sure

Comatosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    You can install any 2.5 inch SATA HDD - so whatever is the capacity you can find with those specifications. I believe it's 320GB at the momoment? Someone will clarify i'm sure
    A quick search on google and I can't find anything larger

Ultimate Veteran
    Heh why didn't I think of that? Cheers Coma, i thought it was

Elite Member
    Ok thanks, all i need now an external HD and a new HDD + The CA$H

Apprentice
    I'm upgrading my 20GB to a 250GB Western Digital. I was considering a WD 320GB, but I've lived with 20GB for a year and a half so I don't think I need to go all out.

Anyway, my question is about putting my 20GB drive into an enclosure. How do I go about formatting the old 20GB drive, just plug it into a computer and select format on a drop-down menu?

Comatosed
    Quote Originally Posted by ybbiv View Post
    I'm upgrading my 20GB to a 250GB Western Digital. I was considering a WD 320GB, but I've lived with 20GB for a year and a half so I don't think I need to go all out.

Anyway, my question is about putting my 20GB drive into an enclosure. How do I go about formatting the old 20GB drive, just plug it into a computer and select format on a drop-down menu?
    When you plug into your computer, just format it the same way you would any other drive, right click on it and format

Apprentice
    Awesome, that's what I was expecting. Good to know it'll be as easy as assumed.

What about the Backup Utility? I've heard some people say it restores their PS3 entirely PSN games/demos included, while others have said that it doesn't backup downloaded games (flOw for example). I'm expecting I'll have to download them again, but it'd be nice if I didn't have to.

Comatosed
    Awesome, that's what I was expecting. Good to know it'll be as easy as assumed.

What about the Backup Utility? I've heard some people say it restores their PS3 entirely PSN games/demos included, while others have said that it doesn't backup downloaded games (flOw for example). I'm expecting I'll have to download them again, but it'd be nice if I didn't have to.
    Honestly mate I don't know, just have to try it

Anybody else able to help with that one???

Superior Member

If you took the 20 gig HD out of the PS3 and put it in an enclosure, would it not already be in the proper format?

Also, great post OP, I'd rep you if it would let me.

I'm going to be undertaking the 20 gig to (probably) 230 gig upgrade sometime in the next month or 2, if I can get my hands on a digital camera (girlfriend broke mine) I'll gladly post some pics.
    R.I.P. Tom Clancy.

May you have many Commies to wage war upon in Valhalla.

Apprentice
    No, it'll have all of the PS3's files on it. It'll need to be formatted to be used as an external, luckily it's as easy as I assumed.

And notanovice, my hard drive is already in the mail so I probably should get around to backing up my PS3. Now seems like as good a time as ever.

Thanks for the help.

Comatosed
    No, it'll have all of the PS3's files on it. It'll need to be formatted to be used as an external, luckily it's as easy as I assumed.

And notanovice, my hard drive is already in the mail so I probably should get around to backing up my PS3. Now seems like as good a time as ever.

Thanks for the help.
    Your welcome mate, let me know how the back up goes please, for future refernce

BabeBro
    The screws on the HDD just got me so angry!!! I mean why the heck would Sony do this? These fragile freakin screws only impair people from swapping HDD's. I'm so annoyed.

Jack007
    Nice thread mate, Already know how to do some stuff on freeing some space up.

+rep

BabeBro
    Last night I upgraded to a 320GB HDD right on time for MGS4. To anyone reading this thread do not, I repeat, do not attempt to use a screw driver when removing the four screws attached to the HDD. Instead, buy a needle nose plier. That's the best way to remove them. I went through hell. Stripped the screws entirely and had to run to Wal-Mart and buy a needle nose plier for about 1.95. Now my HDD is ready to go. MGS4 here I come

Apprentice
    ^As long as you find a Phillip's head screwdriver that fits VERY snuggly, you'll be fine. I just replaced my stock 20GB with a 250GB today and the blue screw still looks mint.

However, I've also put my 20GB into a USB enclosure, but I'm having no luck with XP recognizing it. I can feel the drive spinning inside the enclosure so I'm pretty sure the enclosure isn't broken. I've even tried to find it under "my computer -> manage -> disk management" but it's not recognized there either. The driver disc that came with the enclosure has been zero help so far as well.

On the bright side my 250GB hard drive is working great. I've already restored my data and have even put another 5GB of videos on it and I still have 185Gb free. The backing up and restoring both took about 30 minutes each, but I was very happy to see that everything was intact including downloaded PSN games like flOw and Rampage .

Edit: Just tried a program called SwissKnife and it wouldn't recognize it either, poo.

Gotmilk
    try going to msconfig switch off the usb port then on again

Yip-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by BabeBro View Post
    Last night I upgraded to a 320GB HDD right on time for MGS4. To anyone reading this thread do not, I repeat, do not attempt to use a screw driver when removing the four screws attached to the HDD. Instead, buy a needle nose plier. That's the best way to remove them. I went through hell. Stripped the screws entirely and had to run to Wal-Mart and buy a needle nose plier for about 1.95. Now my HDD is ready to go. MGS4 here I come

Honestly mate, you just need one that fits, I have replaced six of my mates HHD's with a correctly fitting screw driver and they have all come out fine with no stripping on any of them. Screw driver heads come in many sizes, from 1 - 5 etc. it is very important to make sure you have the correct one. if when you turn the driver with a small amount of pressure and it begins to ride out of the screw head you have the wrong size or type of screw driver....

Sorry but the advice in this thread is not wrong .... Its worked lots of times with six different machines so far.

Thread Information