arozer

The difference between DS2 and DS3?

The difference between Dualshock 3 and the SIXAXIS is that the SIXAXIS doesn't have the rumble pack in it, right? Well, what's the difference between DS2 and DS3?

The reason I ask it because I don't want to pay 50+ bucks for a DS3, when I already have a DS2 controller and I can just use the 'PS2 to PS3 controller" converter to use my DS2 on my PS3.

Is there something the DS2 is missing? I'm pretty sure it has that motion sensitivity.

Please help. ;]

Apprentice
    Short and sweet version:

DS2 does not have SIXAXIS motion detector.
    DS2 is not wireless.

DUalshock 3 is meant to have more 'shock settings' allowing games to rumble more or less depending on what is happening.
    250GB PS3, 250GB Xbox Super-Elite
    Currently Playing: PS3: FFXIII - X-Box: Fable 2
    Preordered - Move / Natal (when somewhere lists them)

Apprentice
    Not to mention the DS3's buttery smooth joysticks.

I 'm pretty sure neither the SIXAXIS nor the DS2 has joysticks as nice.

Superior Member
    Well, the DS2 doesn't have Motion Controll and the DS3 does, and the DS3 has an upgraded version of the Rumble used in the DS2. DS3 is better built, its a lot lighter.
    A good friend once said to me...
    "Give a man a copy of the sims and within a few minutes he's trying to make two girls kiss. Give a man an online shooter and before u know it there is more tea bagging than actual shooting..."

plus arent those ps2->usb adapters laggy?

Dedicated Member
    Whats the difference between a PS2 & a PS3? Its and upgrade to go along with your upgraded console so go for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Wireless
    Better Rumble
    Better Joysticks
    Has Sixaxis in it
    PS button
    No analog button
    L2 and R2 are triggers
    I hear people say it has a better D-pad too but i honestly cant tell the difference.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by arozer View Post
    The difference between Dualshock 3 and the SIXAXIS is that the SIXAXIS doesn't have the rumble pack in it, right? Well, what's the difference between DS2 and DS3?

The reason I ask it because I don't want to pay 50+ bucks for a DS3, when I already have a DS2 controller and I can just use the 'PS2 to PS3 controller" converter to use my DS2 on my PS3.

Is there something the DS2 is missing? I'm pretty sure it has that motion sensitivity.

Please help. ;]
    DS2 doesnt have motion sensitivity, DS3 does

and as other have said, wireless, better joysticks, and im surprise nobody else mentioned the L2 and R2 buttons. they are alot better on the new controllers over the old DS2
    Consoles: PS3, Xbox 360 Elite (RROD victim)
    IDs: Flowgo, Twitcorn
    Equipment: Sony Bravia 32S3000, Sony HT-IS100

Forum Elder

Quote Originally Posted by therealdb View Post
    and im surprise nobody else mentioned the L2 and R2 buttons. they are alot better on the new controllers over the old DS2
    was jus about to mention that, thats the biggest difference for me

Apprentice
    DualShock 2 = PS2 Controller. Of course, there is no sixaxis motion sensing. Motion sensing was introduced after the PS3 was introduced. Also, when has a PS2 game used motion sensing?

DualShock 3 = PS3 Controller. The differences are it's wireless, it has sixaxis motion controls, and the L2 and R2 buttons are triggers instead of buttons. They're pretty good triggers, too. Nice and squishy
    BALTIMORE RAVENS - Death on Wings
    "Do not limit yourself when you create things because it's just not good for you, you know."
    --Richard Kruspe (Rammstein founder & guitarist)

Apprentice
    i surprised no one has mentioned the PS button. which very important for couch potatoes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Superior Member

Invest the 50 bucks. DS3 is better then both DS2 and Sixaxis. If you don't care about rumble you can stick with Sixaxis but don't go backwards.

arozer
    Quote Originally Posted by Labiiiil View Post
    Whats the difference between a PS2 & a PS3? Its and upgrade to go along with your upgraded console so go for it.
    Wow.. you ain't have to be a **** about it, dude.
    Don't answer if you think my question is stupid.

Anyway, oh.. so the DS2 doesn't have motion sensitivity? I thought it did. In MGS3, if you held the movement button down slighty, it worked (ie walking slow/fast, between AIMing and shooting.) Then, what exactly is Motion sensitivity?

I don't really care about the Rumble either. It usually annoys me.

It's not anything about money, hell I have two 80GB PS3's, I just don't want to spend 50+$ on something I won't need at all.

charliebronson: nah.. I don't experience any lag.

4wdWRX

Anyway, oh.. so the DS2 doesn't have motion sensitivity? I thought it did. In MGS3, if you held the movement button down slighty, it worked (ie walking slow/fast, between AIMing and shooting.) Then, what exactly is Motion sensitivity?

It's not anything about money, hell I have two 80GB PS3's, I just don't want to spend 50+$ on something I won't need at all.

Motion sense = Six Axis which the DS2 don't have.

your thinking of analog buttons.

DS3 is the way to go. wireless, improved rumble, improved joy stick, sixaxis, shoulder triggers.

Apprentice

motion sensing is the ps3 ebing able to tell when you moving the controller about, like motorstorm lets u use it like a steering wheel, tolt it to the left and your buggy moves to the left. resistance: fall of man uses it to get an enemy off whn they jump at you, you just shake the controller.

basically, its like the the wii controller, its just not widly used, they tried it in bowling, and it worked pretty well imo, but i cant think of many games that do use it other than that and lair.

to sum up: its the ps3 sensing the contoller moving in 3d, not the movement of the joystick
    Consoles: PS3, Xbox 360 Elite (RROD victim)
    IDs: Flowgo, Twitcorn
    Equipment: Sony Bravia 32S3000, Sony HT-IS100

amp3dxpinoy
    i thought the ds2 rumble didnt work with some ps3 games? or now it does? and you can buy the add on for the DS2 to have motion sensitivity, its like $20.

and dude seriously....you paid close to $1000 for 2 systems, but u cant afford $50 for a controller which you DO need.

like everyone said, the R2 and L2 are actually triggers which are pressure sensitive, and have movement, not just a button click, it has the SIXXAXIS motion sensing which detects movement of the actual controller, ie tilt.
    have you played nba 2k8? theres a big difference playing with motion sensing for free throws, than just joystick. it IS worth it. hold back on a game you may or may not like, and that pays for a very useful controller.

arozer
    Hah. Thanks all. I got a much better clue now. I'll pick it up.

amped: like I said brotha, it's not that I can't pay for it, I just didn't want to if I didn't need it. ;]

I just picked up my MGS4 about an hour ago (check the sig).. so now I'm actually thinking about getting it. ;] Thanks all for the help thou.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller

Please help. ;]
    I think you mean " The difference between SIXAXIS and DS3".

The SIXAXIS is light, feels brittle and does not have rumble.
    The DS3 is a SIXAXIS with rumble, is heavier and feels a lot sturdier.

Other than those 3 things they're pretty much the same thing.

Master Poster
    No, he means the difference between the old PS2 controllers and the current DS3 (PS3 controller).

Personally, i don't think that there is a LOT of difference. Although since i only own a Sixaxis, i wouldn't mind picking up a DS3 because the difference between those is phenomenal. DS3 FTW!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    40GB PS3 Owner - 32" Hisense LCD 1080P - 1 DS3 - 2 Sixaxis
    Games Owned: Fifa 08, Uncharted, GTA:IV, COD 4, PGA Tour 2008, Haze, Battlefield: Bad Company, COD:W@W, Far Cry 2, Resistance 2

Thread Information