Ps2: 128 bit
    X-box: Enhanced 128 bit

X-box 360: ?
    Ps3: ?
    Revolution: ?

adamba4e
    Based on the math from generation to generation I say it will be 256 bits

Elite Member
    We probably won't know it until E3...or maybe even later...all depends on when Sony,MS, and Nin want to release there specs.

Actully you would think that the bit would move to 256, but with current advancements in technology im going to say its going to be higher...though I can't say how much higher.

Though through my specualtions its going to be a "nice bit era"
    Called Out of Retirement: SMC Member
    Senior Animator - Sony Computer Entertainment America

Veteran
    The sad thing, in so many ways bits don't matter...

But everyone will continue to compare them...

Tell me, are any of the consoles going to have more than 4gb of Ram in them?
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This is a personal communication and in no way represents the official or unofficial views or opinions of my employer.

Anthony Hanses - Owner - Colloquy LLC

adamba4e
    I've been hearing about bits my whole life. But I won't go into that. What are bits?

Superior Member

Siren, is pretty much correct saying bits don't matter.

Also, if I recall correctly...

Does anyone know how many bits PS3 is?

NES: 8 bit
    SNES: 16 bit
    Sega: 16 bit
    Ps1: 32 bit
    N64: 64 bit
    Dreamcast: Claimed 128 but was only around 90 bits
    Ps2: 128 bit --------------------------------------------- actually, dual 64bits processors
    X-box: Enhanced 128 bit ----------------------------- actually, 32 bit processor

X-box 360: ? ------------------------------------------- prolly 64bit proc, 128bit FPs
    Ps3: ? ------------------------------------------- prolly 64bit proc, 128bit FPs
    Revolution: ? ------------------------------------------- prolly 64bit proc, 128bit FPs

Bitness is a weird thing... most processors actually use mutliple bit lengths in certain areas... for instance some of the Intel and AMD chips though 32bit have 64bit FPs

Bits don't really all that much, if anything it's more about PR... really does the average user need over 4GB or RAM??

Superior Member
    what are FPs? i know what the CPU bits are, just not FPs
    Jump into the ****pit of your WarHawk

Veteran
    Edited some

Quote Originally Posted by muchuukuri
    Siren, is pretty much correct saying bits don't matter.

Also, if I recall correctly...

Does anyone know how many bits PS3 is?

NES: 8 bit
    SNES: 16 bit
    Sega: 16 bit
    Ps1: 32 bit
    N64: 64 bit
    Dreamcast: Claimed 128 but was only around 90 bits
    Ps2: 128 bit --------------------------------------------- actually, dual 64bits processors
    X-box: 256bit GPU (sorta dual 128bit) ----------------------------- actually, 32 bit processor w/ 64bit Floating Point extensions

X-box 360: ? ------------------------------------------- prolly 64bit proc, 128bit FPs
    Ps3: ? ------------------------------------------- prolly 64bit proc, 128bit FPs
    Revolution: ? ------------------------------------------- prolly 64bit proc, 128bit FPs

Bitness is a weird thing... most processors actually use mutliple bit lengths in certain areas... for instance some of the Intel and AMD chips though 32bit have 64bit FPs

Bits don't really all that much, if anything it's more about PR... really does the average user need over 4GB or RAM??
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This is a personal communication and in no way represents the official or unofficial views or opinions of my employer.

Anthony Hanses - Owner - Colloquy LLC

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by james3579
    what are FPs? i know what the CPU bits are, just not FPs
    He should have said "FPU's". FPU stands for Floating Point Unit, it is the part of the cpu that performs floating point operations.

Superior Member
    oh, FPUs, i know what that is, he just said it different than i knew
    Jump into the ****pit of your WarHawk

Quote Originally Posted by siren
    The sad thing, in so many ways bits don't matter...
    I would disagree. Bits do matter becuase it means that a processor can handle more data per clock cycle than a processor with a lesser number of bits. That's not to say a 128-bit is in any twice as fast as a 64 bit, but in reality there are speed gains.

Dedicated Member

Bits will be important next-gen as I think games will tend to stream smaller textures rather than load big textures into memory
    [Currently looking for an applicable banner]
    [Currently looking for an applicable signature, I really need to learn the rules in this place]

Forum Sage
    Bits are like how big the pipeline of data you can get though a CPU, so i would think they are just an important factor of CPU's

Superior Member

Ah, sorry about that... I was in a bit of a rush when I wrote that... my apologies. Yes, I did mean FPUs, sorry. In many case, processors are often made up of many different bit mode, for instance there are 32bit Processors that have 64bit FPUs (like the X2 CPU), even the EE does this... while actually 2 64bit processors connected together to function as a 128bit processor the FPUs we really 128bit.

And yes bits DO matter, but they matter in the same manner as 1 inch destop mointor and a 17 inch destop monitor... no one in their right mind would try to sell a 1 inch desktop monitor. The reallity is once you get to 64bit, even 32bit to some extent, the benefits you can maximize aren't so obvious... there are trade offs... you have to pass around larger strings of data, but can you fully utilize this space?? 128bits IS useful for FPUs since it fits in nicely with vecotr math and geoemtery, but that's about it really... it's really not worth it to go higher and higher... bits aren't crucial as they would seem... so don't worry.

EDIT:: Sorry, vector processing.

dumbxbox2

Cells

If each cell is 64bit and there is nine of them, does make it add up to 576bit total

Forum Sage
    No you got the wrong consept of cell, if all of it (not flameing friend, where all here to learn) The cell is 64bit with 9 attached processors that do other jobs, the PPC (or the core if you will) is 64-bit and nothing else (unless im mistaken) and its one core with nine attached processors (with no bits, again if im mistaken) thats what makes up 1 cell, so you got a little confused and think the attached processors are 'cells' that run at 64-bit.

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Playstation4life
    The cell is 64bit with 9 attached processors that do other jobs, the PPC (or the core if you will) is 64-bit and nothing else (unless im mistaken) and its one core with nine attached processors (with no bits, again if im mistaken) thats what makes up 1 cell, so you got a little confused and think the attached processors are 'cells' that run at 64-bit.
    You are correct about the PPE (PowerPC Processing Element) being 64-bit, but the SPE's are not quite that simple. On one hand they use a 32-bit instruction set, on the other hand they contain 128 128-bit registers. I believe that you classify the SPE's as 32-bit, but I am not 100% sure about that, maybe someone with more technical knowledge of cpu's could answer that.

Forum Sage
    I didnt know about the bit's in SPE's (or APU's, they are the same thing) so i was typing cautiousely waiting for some one to share some knowlage

Dedicated Member

[LIVE]Silent Hill movie sequel coming

Cristophe Gans, director of Silent Hill movie, recently confirmed in an interview with French magazine DVDrama that a sequel is currently in production that will spark Silent Hill 2.

The first film had itís problems and Gans is trying to make sure those are absent in the next one to insure its a great movie although he wonít be able to revisit his past role as the director since heís currently working on another videogame movie adaptation for Onimusha.

It's great to see confirmation of Silent Hill 2, I just recently watched the first one and to a shocking surprise, I rather enjoy it.

Master Poster

Edits in the first and last para.

Live!

Thread Information