Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

The new updated guide to install halo 2 on window XP [Enhanced]

Introduction:
    Hey guys, as you all may know i'm not the biggest fan of Vista, or Microsoft for that matter. But I do know when to tip my hat to a gaming franchise, and that game is Halo.

Halo 2 for the PC was released, by MS, for their latest OS Windows Vista. However, MS decided not to support WinXP. This was a ploy to get people to buy Vista so that they may sell more Vista units and capitalize off of certain people's infatuation with the Halo franchise.

And the new updated guide should solve some problem you guy told me about.

Do take note that not all XP can Successfully install halo 2

So if you don't feel like buying Vista, you want to play Halo 2 for the PC, and just want to play the single-player storyline (at least for now), then follow these directions below:

Requirements:
    :arrowA PC (Preferably one with Windows XP installed but those with XP x64 are unable to install halo 2 and if your computer suffer an virus attack,there is a chance of halo 2 not working in your computer.)
    :arrowTorrent Client (Bittorent, Azureus, uTorrent, etc)
    :arrowDAEMON Tools 4.10
    :arrowArchiving program: WinRAR (Only for those who download the game)
    :arrowPassed the system requirement test(click here to test)(please ignore the Operating System.)
    :arrowInstalled Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 or higher.(click Here to install net Framework 2.0)
    :arrowCcleaner(used this only if you screw up halo 2!)

**Warning**
    The following directions are designed with the impression in mind that the people following them have purchased a legal copy of Halo 2 for Vista.
    The user simply wishes to play the game on Win XP. Downloading .torrents is an act of piracy (stealing), unless the user has an authorized copy of the game.
    If caught downloading .torrents, PSU, is not in any way responsible for your actions.
    Please do the following at your own risk.

Directions
    1a) Download the Halo 2 Repack-Razor1911 torrent, using your Torrent Client. .torrent is found HERE
    ___Other links___(Incase the link on top is broken or etc)

-Link 1

-Link 2

-Link 3

b)If you have the real disc,don't follow 1a).Jump to 2)

2) Download RoboMASTER's Halo2Helper v1.2.1B, found HERE
    a) The link brings you to filefactory.com (Don't worry it's legit!)
    b) Click the "Free Download" button
    c) Type in the code
    d) Click the "Begin Download" button
    e) If you get an error message that says something like: "Sorry, there are currently no free download slots available on this server." Just wait and try again...eventually a slot will open up.
    Simply go back and try downloading it again until it works.
    Or
    f) if you want the older version then click Here.

3) When the two downloads are finished, close your torrent client and find the folder where you downloaded the Halo 2 Repack-Razor1911 torrent. Use WinRAR to extract the Razor1911 Halo 2 .iso image or if you have the disc then place it in and skip to Step 8.

a) Beginner Help: If you're confused because you don't know what a .001, .002, .003 etc. file extension is... all you have to know is that it's a WinRAR part file.
    Just double-click any of them and unpack the file to wherever you want, so long as you remember where it is. I unpacked mine on the desktop(recommended).

5) Use WinRAR to extract RoboMASTER's Halo2Helper v1.2.1B .zip file. I unpacked mine to the Desktop for easy access (recommended).

6) Use DEAMON Tools to mount the .iso file (recommended).
    To mount the .iso image using DAEMON Tools:
    a) Install DEAMON Tools. After the installation, start up DEAMON Tools and right-click on the icon in your system tray.
    b) Scroll to the top and hover over the "Virtual CD/DVD-ROM" function.
    c) Select the Device to mount your image (My virtual drive was drive [E:])
    d) Select the "Mount Image" option
    e) Find the directory where you unpacked the .iso image and select it. The image is titled "rzr-ho2r"
    f)If you bought the real halo 2 disc then place in your disc tray and load it.

7) DAEMON Tools usually auto-runs the disk after you mount the image. An error message may pop up saying something like:

Don't worry! Windows XP is trying to run an executable programmed to be open in Vista, hence why it doesn't open.(same thing happens if you use the real disc.)

Press OK.

8 ) Now open the folder labeled Halo2Helper-v1.2.1B. Inside you'll see a bunch of files:

Loader.exe
    dwmapi.dll
    README.txt
    loaderplus
    WowMon.dll
    mf.dll
    MFPlat.dll
    Wow.dll
    XTaskDlg.dll
    Setup.bat

Double click the "Setup.bat" file. If you did everything correctly, you should see the Install screen now.
    Explanation: All the setup.bat file does is check your disk drives (Both physical and virtual) for the "setup.exe" file located on the Halo disk image.
    It then executes the loader.exe file which allows the setup.exe file to run with Windows XP programing.

9) The Halo 2 interface will be blue with Master Chief pointing his gun at you. At this time you want to choose the "Customize Game Install" option.

10) Next, choose the "Full Install, Do Not Start" option. Use the default directory if available (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo 2)

11) A couple messages may pop up saying something like your graphic driver is out of date(sometimes the message could be wrong), or your should optimize Halo 2's performance in the Control Panel. However It is likely that your video card is not suited to play halo 2.(which is a problem)
    Just click the "Run" button. Hopefully, if you have followed these directions closely, Halo 2 Vista will start to install on your WinXP PC.

12)while the game is being install,go to the install location like:C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo 2
    And open maps.Make sure all maps under halo 2 are converted from ***.tempntmap to ***.maps

*** - means the name of the maps.

13) Once the game has finished installing, exit out of the setup and go into My Computer. Right click on the Halo 2 disk image and select the "Explore" option.(Same way for the real disc.)
    Find the folder labeled "redists" and install the XLiveRedist1.0.6027.msi and vcredist.msi files.
    Note: For XLiveRedist, I had to chose the "repair" option. But you may get the "install" option. If that's the case, chose that option, otherwise just select "repair."
    Note: vcredist.msi may not seem like it installed after you double-clicked it. However, it really did install. So please don't click the file 1,000 times.

14) Next, download RoboMASTER's Halo 2 XP Updater v1.2 found HERE.

15) Double-click the Halo2xpUpdater-v1.2.exe file. Follow the setup directions and click "Install."
    Note: Please make sure that the updater is installing the files to your Halo 2 directory. If you installed Halo 2 to it's default directory, press "Browse" and search for the Microsoft Games folder, then select the Halo 2 folder. Else, the installer will put the files in your "Program Files" folder.

16) Double-click on the shortcut and start playing Halo 2 for Windows XP!

Troubleshooting:

Here's a section that combines a list of problems people are facing when installing Halo 2 on XP.

Q1] Why does Halo 2 ask me to insert the disk on the Gravemind level or any other level?

While I don't know exactly why it happens, there are two instances when it can occur.

If you didn't do the "Custom Game Install" option and then the "Full Install, Do not Start" option on set-up, and chose the "Play" option instead, you may have created temporary map files, rather then the full map files. Causing Halo 2 to ask for the disk on all levels.

Or you might have done everything right, but the game still asks for the disk on the Gravemind level.
    1) Download and install Process Monitor (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...ssmonitor.mspx)

2) Use WinRAR to extract the files

3) Play Halo 2 until you get to the Gravemind level, as the level tries to load you will get the message "Sorry, insert you original Halo 2 disk"
    (inserting either the original or any other disk does nothing since the drive is never accessed).

4) Close and restart the game and let it get to the main menu screen.

5) Hit the windows key on the keyboard to minimize the game.

6) Open process monitor, let it run and monitor processes (the list wil fill rapidly).

7) Click on the Halo 2 icon in the taskbar to re-maximize the game.

8 ) Click on "Campaign" --> Select Level --> Gravemind and select your difficulty

9) Let it load (It will take a while because process monitor is slowing it down). Don't worry about missing the intro Video, once the level loads, it can be restarted from within the level.

10) Once it loads and starts, (wait for the intro to finish) minimize with the windows key again and close the Process monitor.

11) Re-maximize the level, hit the escape key and select restart the level (if you want to see the intro again).

Note: The level can be reloaded from checkpoints as long as you are within the level, if you quit the level for any reason, you will have to run the Process Monitor again while the level loads.
    You can load a saved checkpoint in this manner, so you don't have to complete the level at one sitting.

Q2] Halo 2 starts, the Halo 2 Logo appears, loads left to right, and then crashes to the Desktop. Or Halo 2 crashes randomly while in-game. What happened?

It is mostly like that halo 2 updater fail to update halo 2.Download halo 2 error fixer and then it should solve that problem.

Q3] I followed your outdated guide and have a multitude of issues. Or, I screwed up my Halo 2 installation and now it won't let me uninstall the game, or I receive an error when I chose the "Custom Game Install" option. How do I fix this?

In order to fix this,uninstall halo 2 using robomaster's uninstaller, simply download RoboMASTER's Halo 2 Uninstaller found HERE

Q4] When installing the game, an error message pops up saying that the "vcredists.msi" file is not working properly. What do I do?

If you receive this message before you can complete the Halo 2 installation, just follow the directions given for step 12.
    Then restart your Halo 2 installation.

Q5]when or during installing halo,a message appear saying'halo 2 has encounter an error and need to be close'

It mean that Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 is corrupted or not installed.Click here to download it.

Q6]when starting up halo 2,a command prompt appears then disappear and halo did not start up.

For those with this problem then am sorry to say your video card is out-of-date.But you must pass a test first.click here to test. Just to make sure it is the video card. (please ignore the Operating System.)

Q7]I can't collect achievement in Halo 2.

You need to create a profile but it needs an internet connection and product key.[Those who are using this guide to install halo,You can't create a profile.]

Q8]The game seem to hang or stop loading at some level.(excluing the game asking for the disc.)

It seem the the games maybe corrupted,reinstalling is needed.But to play safe,check if any of the map is in .map format.If not reinstalling is needed.

Q9]I can't install LIVE Redistributable v1.0.

Some times the LIVE Redistributable v1.0 is corrupted or fail to install correctly. Click here the link for another one.

Thanks to
    Perfect sin for making the guide or we have to play halo 2 on vista.
    Robomaster for the program he create that made life easy for us.
    Razor1911 for the repack of halo 2 disc image.
    20.z1ggy from the TorrentSpy comment section for the
    troubleshooting tips.
    And the member of this site that report of some the common problem in halo 2.

Please report here if you encounter a problem not found in this guide.

Please vote so that i would know if the guide is useful or not.[Well it over...]

Please don't sue me just this is a copy of pefect sin guide,i ask his for COPYRIGHTS and was allow to change and this guide included new problem-solving answer so other can have an easy time installing halo 2.I am here not for the credits.
    We are the G Police. In joining us you are now part of a task force assigned to restore peace amongst the people of Callisto and banish the terrorists and unscrupulous corporations from the planet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

need a little help!

i've gotten all of halo 2 xp installed and even gotten the LIVE update installed and the game has loaded completely, my only problem is when i get to the title screen the network and live buttons are not selectable and also when i do single player it says i cannot get achievements because my live save does not match the current checkpoint?? any ideas on why i cant select live and get achievements even though i'm signed into live????

GuitarrassDeAmor

Quote Originally Posted by supream222 View Post
    i've gotten all of halo 2 xp installed and even gotten the LIVE update installed and the game has loaded completely, my only problem is when i get to the title screen the network and live buttons are not selectable and also when i do single player it says i cannot get achievements because my live save does not match the current checkpoint?? any ideas on why i cant select live and get achievements even though i'm signed into live????
    Sorry but the you cant get achievements because halo 2 cant connect to the internet. Most halo game that are copy from disc cant play online or get any achievements.

I hope you can understand this.

And by the way GuitarrassDeAmor,i know that perfect sin created the guide first but there are some problem not included so i asked and was allow to uses some of his thread to create a better guide.
    We are the G Police. In joining us you are now part of a task force assigned to restore peace amongst the people of Callisto and banish the terrorists and unscrupulous corporations from the planet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

im using the real disc and my problem is that iv followed everything needed to do it but when i click the desktop icon or the run halo 2 icon all that shows up is a black screen saying "loading wowmon.dill" then it says "loaded wowmon.dill" some random numbers and then it just turns off. whats wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by SOLDIER2 View Post
    im using the real disc and my problem is that iv followed everything needed to do it but when i click the desktop icon or the run halo 2 icon all that shows up is a black screen saying "loading wowmon.dill" then it says "loaded wowmon.dill" some random numbers and then it just turns off. whats wrong?

Check troubleshooting, Q6
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Elite Sage

As already stated, you're a bit late: http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=81123

Elite Sage

Re-opened at Perfect Sin's request.

No i recently bought that game for xbox rrrrrrr ****

Need help here : When I try to repair XLiveRedist i get an error saying for me to Insert Disk. Any help on getting that work? Everything else i did is fine except that part

Quote Originally Posted by usednapkin View Post
    Need help here : When I try to repair XLiveRedist i get an error saying for me to Insert Disk. Any help on getting that work? Everything else i did is fine except that part
    Here a link to LIVE Redistributable v1.2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

New problem: the live thing worked but...now when I try to play it says that theres insufficent data or something like that.

when i try to install the game i get the error:

ONE OF THE INSTALLATION STEPS FAILED DO YOU WANT TO redists\H2V-licr.msi

when i try to install it directly from the folder i get the error:

there is a problem with this windows installer package.a rogram run as part of the setup did not finish as expected

could someone please help

Quote Originally Posted by YULRIC View Post
    when i try to install the game i get the error:

ONE OF THE INSTALLATION STEPS FAILED DO YOU WANT TO redistsH2V-licr.msi

when i try to install it directly from the folder i get the error:

there is a problem with this windows installer package.a rogram run as part of the setup did not finish as expected

could someone please help
    Uninstall the game and the resdists then start all over again.
    Download ccleaner as it is able to remove some leftover fragment of the game.

Check the 1st post for the download.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've tried this every way I can think of and I always get the error below:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>"G:\CRACK\XP PATCH\Loader.exe" G:\Startup.exe
    The system cannot execute the specified program.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

Any ideas?

has anyone ever tried installing and trying to play halo 2 online on windows 7 beta? ima gonna try to get windows 7 asa my internet is no longer being capped, i just wanna confirm it.

okay i installed halo 2 on xp with all the latest cracks and everything i even paid for a working key so i could go online and when i select a game it loads then give me this error

it is mounted to a virtual drive if anyone has had this error and fixed it please help me i really want to play this game
    and it wont let me play campain when i try and play it it loads then loads a white screen and thats it

Sorry you cant play online.

Please ignore the guide to play online...I can't edit it...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by g police 2 View Post
    Thanks to
    Razor1911 for the repack of halo 2 disc image.
    I knew that guy.
    Feed the troll

i have a problem!
    When I go to new game and select difficult level, I get "insert your original halo 2 game disc". What to do? Help

Quote Originally Posted by VMaka View Post
    i have a problem!
    When I go to new game and select difficult level, I get "insert your original halo 2 game disc". What to do? Help
    Which level??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yay, more problems.
    I've done the process before on my rather old xp and it worked fine, until i realized my graphics card would never support it. (never did well with runscape anyways)
    so i did it on this sexxcii laptop but i made a mistake during installation.-UPDATE- i forgot the mention that i used the uninstaller that could be found under the startup icon in the StartMenu which removed the c:\programfiles\microsoftgames\halo2 folder and the icons. but the setup said i should try reinstalling the program whenever i clicked custom install-- then i downloaded robomaster's uninstaller but it never worked, so i've tried other methods confirmed to work by other users, and there's no trace of halo 2 on my laptop. So i mounted the iso once again and went for the halo2helper batch setup thingy and i get this " Files are missing or damaged in the installation directory. Some important files required to run this game are missing in the installation directory."
    so me and my noob mind are clueless now. Any ideas or way to fix these files, i'd try to but idk what the 'installation directory' would be.
    Btw, the links to filefactory might have expired.
    Tyvm
    -Lien

Quote Originally Posted by X Lien X View Post
    Yay, more problems.
    I've done the process before on my rather old xp and it worked fine, until i realized my graphics card would never support it. (never did well with runscape anyways)
    so i did it on this sexxcii laptop but i made a mistake during installation.-UPDATE- i forgot the mention that i used the uninstaller that could be found under the startup icon in the StartMenu which removed the c:programfilesmicrosoftgameshalo2 folder and the icons. but the setup said i should try reinstalling the program whenever i clicked custom install-- then i downloaded robomaster's uninstaller but it never worked, so i've tried other methods confirmed to work by other users, and there's no trace of halo 2 on my laptop. So i mounted the iso once again and went for the halo2helper batch setup thingy and i get this " Files are missing or damaged in the installation directory. Some important files required to run this game are missing in the installation directory."
    so me and my noob mind are clueless now. Any ideas or way to fix these files, i'd try to but idk what the 'installation directory' would be.
    Btw, the links to filefactory might have expired.
    Tyvm
    -Lien
    Give me some time to search the right file to delete first.

And sorry for the late reply,oh and try C cleaner and open the registry tab.Scan and select all the registry key.[Make sure you back up your registry first]And click fix,hope this helps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by g police 2 View Post
    Give me some time to search the right file to delete first.

And sorry for the late reply,oh and try C cleaner and open the registry tab.Scan and select all the registry key.[Make sure you back up your registry first]And click fix,hope this helps.
    No dice.
    same error, i even tried deleting my current iso and unpacking it again. Nothing changed. This means that i either deleted a file or corrupted a file i needed that i have no clue about. Ty for any help, and idc about late responses, I have hmwk too ya know. And thanks alot for telling me about C cleaner, pretty useful thing.
    -Lien

InfiniteRetro
    ive had this since it got released and it worked. are ppl still having problems?

Thread Information