Elite Member
    Items BowserDoom

t-mobile hot-spots and PS3 ?

Hi everyone, I'm really not familiar with how the T-Mobile hotspot service works and I was wondering if it could be used with the PS3.

From what I read in the T-Mobile website you could use your phone to connect your laptop and other wifi enabled devices to the internet but they don't really give you much details... you know how these phone companies like to leave everything ambiguous so that you cannot complain about the service later on.

I heard form a friend that he could use his cell-phone as a router for his laptop and connect the to the internet from anywhere, is this the same as the t-mobile hotspot service or is that some other service?

thanks a lot.
    Thou shall not question my lame sig
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Still NOT Better Than Cuguy
    Items Bruce WillisBrad PittChristian BaleInfinity WardGoogle ChromeModern Warfare 3AppleFacebook LogoUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    That costs quite a bit I think. Espesh using you'r phone as a router. That costs a bomb.

Add me on Steam: VintageElise

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeghtmare View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm really not familiar with how the T-Mobile hotspot service works and I was wondering if it could be used with the PS3.

From what I read in the T-Mobile website you could use your phone to connect your laptop and other wifi enabled devices to the internet but they don't really give you much details... you know how these phone companies like to leave everything ambiguous so that you cannot complain about the service later on.

I heard form a friend that he could use his cell-phone as a router for his laptop and connect the to the internet from anywhere, is this the same as the t-mobile hotspot service or is that some other service?

thanks a lot.
    I work for t-mobile UK so im your guy for this kinda info, what your friend is using is mobile broadband / Web n Walk as it used to be called. where your phone is used to connect to the internet using HSDPA / 3G (better off using HSDPA) it has recently been brought to our attention that mobile broadband has gained so much popularity we are looking into ways of supporting PSN and XBL on the Mobile broadband service, as there has been an increase in demand for this kind of service to be used with consoles.

Now T-mobile hotspots is your Wifi G access from Starbucks and Airports, hotels ect. It isnt the same as mobile broadband because of that. You can get hotspot access on its own compleatly unlimited as well for 20 a month, but you would be much better off getting one of our mobile broadband packages with the USB stick because it costs less (15 Per month) you get to use it ANYWHERE. And thirdly you get unlimited Wifi access through T-mobile hotspots included for free.

In regards to using Hotspots with your PS3 / 360 i do belive you have to put in your name and password to gain access so it maybe difficult for your PS3 to access it using its wifi as you dont have the Facility (apart from web browser) to access it, however you maybe able to get away with sharing the connection on your laptop instead.

We are looking at releasing a Web n Walk router Later this year that may allow you ps3 to use the mobile broadband service.

Hope this helps.

Steffanj: It dosnt cost as much as T-mobile was the first to charge subscription rates instead of run on rates so you can connect to the internet from your phone its self for a little as 7.50 a month with unlimited useage.

Elite Member
    Items BowserDoom
    Quote Originally Posted by Playstation4life View Post
    I work for t-mobile UK so im your guy for this kinda info, what your friend is using is mobile broadband / Web n Walk as it used to be called. where your phone is used to connect to the internet using HSDPA / 3G (better off using HSDPA) it has recently been brought to our attention that mobile broadband has gained so much popularity we are looking into ways of supporting PSN and XBL on the Mobile broadband service, as there has been an increase in demand for this kind of service to be used with consoles.

Now T-mobile hotspots is your Wifi G access from Starbucks and Airports, hotels ect. It isnt the same as mobile broadband because of that. You can get hotspot access on its own compleatly unlimited as well for 20 a month, but you would be much better off getting one of our mobile broadband packages with the USB stick because it costs less (15 Per month) you get to use it ANYWHERE. And thirdly you get unlimited Wifi access through T-mobile hotspots included for free.

In regards to using Hotspots with your PS3 / 360 i do belive you have to put in your name and password to gain access so it maybe difficult for your PS3 to access it using its wifi as you dont have the Facility (apart from web browser) to access it, however you maybe able to get away with sharing the connection on your laptop instead.

We are looking at releasing a Web n Walk router Later this year that may allow you ps3 to use the mobile broadband service.

Hope this helps.

Steffanj: It dosnt cost as much as T-mobile was the first to charge subscription rates instead of run on rates so you can connect to the internet from your phone its self for a little as 7.50 a month with unlimited useage.
    Thanks a lot for the info, really useful.
    So, if I understand correctly, the best thing to go with would be Mobile Broadband but at the moment it wouldn't support the PS3 or XBL. And I'm assuming I would need one of the newer phones in order to do this.

Do you know the speed you can get with one of those?

You should make a thread when the service you mentioned becomes available; I'm sure a lot of people would be interested.

+rep for you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Forum Sage
    Thanks a lot for the info, really useful.
    So, if I understand correctly, the best thing to go with would be Mobile Broadband but at the moment it wouldn't support the PS3 or XBL. And I'm assuming I would need one of the newer phones in order to do this.

Do you know the speed you can get with one of those?

You should make a thread when the service you mentioned becomes available; I'm sure a lot of people would be interested.

+rep for you.
    If your looking to get a contract for a newer phone, and you are intrested in using mobile broadband with it look for a phone that uses HSDPA, also if you get a contract on Any of our Flext or combi price plans or pretty much any price plan you can add mobile broadband plus (Or web n walk Plus) for just 12.50 on top of which ever price plan you decide on.

We currently have speeds of 1.8MBPS across the uk, london maybe getting 3.6MBPS. this will be improved as the end of the year comes closer as the end of 2007 T-mobile UK and 3 (three) signed a network consolidation agreement for the next ten years to join both 3G networks togeather and use them still under the T-mobile and 3 brands, this will improve network capacity and speeds so hopefully there will be a major boost in speed to 7.2MBPS. Theres been an estimated saving of 10 million in totall for this agreement for both T-mobile and 3.

You can go with a mobile phone but the probablity with a mobile phone is you'll need to connect to your laptop first and then use internet connection sharing when you connect your laptop and then to connect your PS3 to the laptop.

As far as im aware (you'll have to wait till i go back to work on the 30th) the Web n Walk Router will be able to connect multiple PC's and Laptops however citation is needed weather this will have connectivity for the ps3 or 360.

karbineftw
    Wow, These forums are ace, they have everything
    +REP for helping someone out !

Veteran
    PSN ID
    gizzoidafcb
    Quote Originally Posted by Karbineftw View Post
    Wow, These forums are ace, they have everything
    +REP for helping someone out !
    They certainly do. Everybody tries to help out each other and got a speciality of knowledge in different things etc etc so your more than likely to always find a answer for what you need.

I might have to chat up Mr T mobile man and get me a good deal on a contract phone

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneyPS3 View Post
    They certainly do. Everybody tries to help out each other and got a speciality of knowledge in different things etc etc so your more than likely to always find a answer for what you need.

I might have to chat up Mr T mobile man and get me a good deal on a contract phone
    Funny you should say that they took away our benefit of beeing able to give 5 people a year half price line rental, its currently suspended but if you ask nicley i'll see what i can do later

Also a quick insight into the fututre, Japan are already trialing 4G Mainly video calling quality will be improved and speeds for data upto 100MBPS

Elite Member
    Items BowserDoom
    Quote Originally Posted by Playstation4life View Post
    If your looking to get a contract for a newer phone, and you are intrested in using mobile broadband with it look for a phone that uses HSDPA, also if you get a contract on Any of our Flext or combi price plans or pretty much any price plan you can add mobile broadband plus (Or web n walk Plus) for just 12.50 on top of which ever price plan you decide on.

We currently have speeds of 1.8MBPS across the uk, london maybe getting 3.6MBPS. this will be improved as the end of the year comes closer as the end of 2007 T-mobile UK and 3 (three) signed a network consolidation agreement for the next ten years to join both 3G networks togeather and use them still under the T-mobile and 3 brands, this will improve network capacity and speeds so hopefully there will be a major boost in speed to 7.2MBPS. Theres been an estimated saving of 10 million in totall for this agreement for both T-mobile and 3.

You can go with a mobile phone but the probablity with a mobile phone is you'll need to connect to your laptop first and then use internet connection sharing when you connect your laptop and then to connect your PS3 to the laptop.

As far as im aware (you'll have to wait till i go back to work on the 30th) the Web n Walk Router will be able to connect multiple PC's and Laptops however citation is needed weather this will have connectivity for the ps3 or 360.
    Cool, thanks again. I live in the states so I'm sure things are a bit different as far as plans go, but at least now I know what I should ask for when I go to a T-Mobile store. I hate going to buy something without at least having an idea of what I want and what I can get.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Forum Sage
    Cool, thanks again. I live in the states so I'm sure things are a bit different as far as plans go, but at least now I know what I should ask for when I go to a T-Mobile store. I hate going to buy something without at least having an idea of what I want and what I can get.
    Argh then some of my info is valid but not all of it.

I hotspots for T-mobile USA may work differently, and as far as mobile broadband goes i dont even know if T-mobile USA has that kinda service. Id poke around.

Mr. Ten-A-Key!
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Aren't these "hotspots" for like certain malls (cerritos mall in Southern Cali) and coffee shops? Anyway, they have verizon or i guess T-Mobile internet cards that you pay a monthly fee for and you plug the card into the USB port and you can get internet access anywhere theres a hotspot. I dont really know how that would work with the PS3 though same goes for connecting your phone....

Dedicated Member
    Oh god. Why would people even think this is possible. There is no way enough data can be transmitted via GPRS to play online. If you're talking about wifi, I still highly doubt it would be possible.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoMantis View Post
    Aren't these "hotspots" for like certain malls (cerritos mall in Southern Cali) and coffee shops? Anyway, they have verizon or i guess T-Mobile internet cards that you pay a monthly fee for and you plug the card into the USB port and you can get internet access anywhere theres a hotspot. I dont really know how that would work with the PS3 though same goes for connecting your phone....
    You havent been reading my posts really have you

T-mobile hotspots are like BT openzones (if your in the UK) T-mobile hotspots are Wirless G spots at commerical areas like Starbucks coffee houses, Airports, Hotels ECT.

When you talk about plugging in a device to your laptop your talking about Web N Walk / Mobile Broadband, wich is compleatly wirless where ever you get 3G Coverage in the UK you automatically get HSDPA wich means you can get speeds upto 1.8Mbps.

Any to the guy above, im using HSDPA just now with Counterstrike: Source and just now on Warhawk using Internet connection sharing on my PC. Because speeds are just like Broadband speeds there is ABSOLUTLY no difference. But if as you said used GPRS wich gives you dial up speeds, you are right theres no way you can achive such a smooth service.

Superior Member
    Sprint in the U.S is putting alot of money into "WiMAX" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WiMAX

Which sounds like what the t-mobile guy is talking about..but I think its still in testing for Sprint.

Or there's "femtocell" But this is mostly used for better coverage in your home with your broadband connection on your cell phone. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Femtocell Which is also still in testing.

Thread Information