Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 55 111 ... LastLast
    Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Official Diablo 3 Thread - Its Finally Here!

Diablo III picks up the story twenty years after the events of Diablo II. Mephisto, Diablo, and Baal have been defeated, but the Worldstone, which once shielded the inhabitants of the world of Sanctuary from the forces of both Heaven and Hell, has been destroyed, and evil once again stirs in Tristram. Playing as a hero from one of five distinct character classes, players will acquire powerful items, spells, and abilities as they explore new and familiar areas of Sanctuary and battle hordes of demons to safeguard the world from the horrors that have arisen.

Genre: Third-Person Action RPG
    Publisher: Blizzard Entertainment
    Developer: Blizzard Entertainment
    Release Date: May 15th 2012

The Classes:

The Barbarian
    Barbarians are savage wanderers who never flinch from close-quarters combat. Mighty ground stomps, leaping attacks and dual-wielded slashes leave a barbarian’s enemies dead in their boots and send any survivors fleeing for cover.

Thanks to their size and strength, barbarians can dominate a melee with nearly any combination of weapon and approach, though they tend towards massive and imposing weaponry. Barbarians are no strangers to the pains of battle, and often fare better in the midst of several opponents, taking and giving cuts, than when attempting to chase down single targets.

Barbarians’ attacks are primarily melee focused. Their quick weapon swings whittle down the number of weaker foes in seconds, while their slower, ground-shaking slams and stomps can send approaching hordes reeling and crack the armor of mightier foes.

The Monk
    Monks are sacred warriors who channel divine power through sheer force of will. Healing waves, mantras of protection and attacks empowered with holy might are all within their purview.

Skilled monks deliver rapid-fire attacks unarmed or with a variety of well-balanced weapons. In combat, they emphasize high maneuverability over staying power, darting in and out of melees and avoiding protracted slugfests.

Monks’ attacks are primarily melee-focused. They can eliminate single foes with extreme damage, or deliver short-range area-of-effect assaults with waves of elemental power that emanate from palm strikes or crescent kicks.

The Demon Hunter
    Demon hunters are relentless vigilantes who execute their infernal targets with an arsenal of ranged weapons. They crouch and take aim far from danger, relying on bows, deadly traps, and projectiles to swiftly bring an end to the creatures that haunt their world.

With sweeping blasts of shot, wide salvos of arrows and timed explosives at their disposal, demon hunters excel at devastating groups of foes who cluster together. Hunters’ pinpoint accuracy also allows them to deal with stronger monsters at a distance: they can snipe at key targets or fall back while snapping off kill shots at advancing foes.

However, demon hunters’ focus on ranged combat and limited melee-weapons training leave them in danger when they’re cornered or surrounded. Evasive skills like defensive rolls and jumps, as well as targeted attacks that hamstring and slow enemies, are as crucial to survival as any arrow in a hunter’s quiver.

The Witch Doctor
    Witch doctors are spiritual warriors who summon dead souls and crawling creatures to do their bidding. By surrounding themselves with conjured zombies and vermin, witch doctors are free to assault their enemies with exploding skulls, acrid poison clouds, and wasting curses.

The ability to infect, slow and terrify their enemies gives witch doctors unprecedented control over a battlefield. They can manipulate opposing attacks and movements with debuffs and crowd control spells, rendering enemies easy prey for hungry pets. Witch doctors can also lay down fields of fire and venom that slowly leech life from advancing foes.

Although some witch doctors avoid melee combat in favor of augmenting their pets and crippling their enemies from afar, they are also more than capable of slaying weakened foes with their own hands.

The Wizard
    Wizards are renegade spellcasters who use their bodies as vessels for arcane energy, forsaking the more careful path favored by other magic users. They manipulate all manner of forces to disintegrate, burn, and freeze their foes, and they can control time and light to teleport, create powerful illusions, and deflect oncoming attacks.

Wizards grip wands and staves to focus their less potent magics, blasting at their enemies while gathering the energy or time necessary to destroy them in a dazzling hail of arcane might.

With few exceptions, wizard attacks are conducted at a distance, away from danger. As living artillery, wizards are well suited to relying on long-range destructive power.

Last edited by Nuvian; 05-12-2012 at 03:43.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I am amazed !! This game has obviously been in development for quite some time. Those game videos look AMAZING !!! I can't wait for more footage and info.

Superior Member
    Brb, downloading Diablo 2.

GuitarrassDeAmor
    There is already an official Diablo 3 thread here.
    http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=148509

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Quote Originally Posted by DrFeelgreat View Post
    Hehe, i'm tempted to do the same atm

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    I hated Diablo 2 because of the running and the crappy dungeon design and because of that i really couldnt finish the game.
    Looks like Diablo 3 is back to Diablo 1s fast walking and the dungeon design looks fantastic so i will get this.
    *Looks for copy of Diablo 1*

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by DrFeelgreat View Post
    BLASPHEMY!!!! You should really buy Diablo 2 and LOD. They're worth it 101%.

And as for Diablo 3....
    OH YEAH!!!

Yeah, Diablo 3 seems to be doing it again. The Diabloish gameplay was still there and the gameplay looked absolutely gorgeous. Hopefully the character classes also include Paladin/Warrior, Necromancer, Sorcerer ; the basic Diablo-guys.

Absolutely hyped for this one!
    "The death of one man is a tragedy. The death of millions is a statistic."

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarasDeAmor View Post
    There is already an official Diablo 3 thread here.
    http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=148509
    The thread stays mate, i understand why you guys reported it, but just because he made a thread 3 days ago and called it official doesn't make it the only thread, and aslong as i keep updating this one there is nothing wrong with it.

Once more into the fray.

GuitarrassDeAmor
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuvian View Post
    The thread stays mate, i understand why you guys reported it, but just because he made a thread 3 days ago and called it official doesn't make it the only thread, and aslong as i keep updating this one there is nothing wrong with it.
    We need to have it consolidated in one thread, and Appolyons made that one for it, so all the information needs to go there. Edit the first post, do what you must, but the information needs to be consolidated there.

Master Sage
    Added a new interview to the main post.
    Interview: Blizzard's Rob Pardo on Diablo III

On PC exclusivity, design philosophy, and more.

by Charles Onyett

We caught up with Rob Pardo, Blizzard's executive vice president of game design following the Diablo III announcement at their Worldwide Invitational 2008 event in Paris, France. During the course of the interview he expanded on some of Blizzard's design philosophy as it relates to Diablo III, its development process, some of the game's features, and managed to eat about one half of a slice of pepperoni pizza.

Development on Diablo III began way back when Blizzard North was still around and currently the team working on it consists of around 50 people. Initially the game's visual design was closer to the older games than what we saw in the gameplay demonstration. "We probably did three rev[ision]s on the visual direction until we got to this and now we're really happy with it," said Pardo.

The gameplay was also given several overhauls. "We were pretty heavily influenced by some of the games that were coming out like God of War, a very visceral game," said Pardo. "A totally different genre but you kind of saw games like that and we thought we really needed to update this game's gameplay…it has to be much more of an action game."

With many before the reveal buzzing about a potential Diablo MMO announcement, we had to ask: was there ever any thought to moving Diablo away from its overhead action-RPG roots? "It totally crossed our mind but this is the game we ultimately wanted to make. Obviously I love MMOs, I think it's a great genre, but that doesn't mean that other genres aren't great too. I actually see a huge opportunity in the action-RPG genre because nobody's really doing a lot of games in that genres and I don't understand why, personally."

Though there have been quite a few action-RPG releases since Diablo II, perhaps there weren't as many as there should have been, or perhaps action-RPGs get labeled incorrectly. "What I think often happens with the genre, with the games that I've seen, is that they kind of get confused as to whether it's an RPG that just happens to be real-time or is it just an action game," said Pardo. "I feel like that's oftentimes you get these games that are not quite doing both. I feel like that's the big opportunity for us. If you look at Diablo and Diablo II, they're really action games. The story was light, the RPG were very light and I think one of the things we looked at with Diablo III was that doesn't have to be the case."

Pardo cited what Blizzard did with real-time strategy design from StarCraft to Warcraft 3. "A lot of people in that time period were doing RTS missions where you just build up your base, slug it out against another base, do that 30 times and you're done with the campaign. With War 3 we tried to come up with interesting scenarios and I think that's the same thing with Diablo III. You guys may have been used to Diablo and Diablo II being really just kind of a point and click game…fun but not really immersive."

Incorporating more involved questing and role-playing elements is something Blizzard is focusing on with Diablo III, but also make the gameplay more dynamic. "We had bosses in Diablo II but, again, they weren't really involved. We really want to try to implement bosses that are much more epic, there's much more gameplay to actually defeating them. We're taking cues from games like Zelda, God of War, games like that, bring that to the action-RPG genre. We want to have side quests and scenarios that are much more involved…like defend the town from attack or something like that."

Diablo III will be similar to Diablo II in terms of its overall structure. There'll still be acts. There'll be above and underground sections of maps, though the outdoor environment won't be as randomized, as Blizzard wants to build more distinct personality into some of the game's sections. There still will be plenty of randomization though when it comes to items, monsters, and dungeons.

While roaming around the game's areas, you'll have a selection of classes to pick from. At this point Blizzard is saying it'll be similar to what was originally available in Diablo II before Lord of Destruction. Their official FAQ sheet says there'll be five classes exactly. So far we know of the barbarian and all-new witch doctor, a spell-focused class that can summon minions, fear enemies, and summon walls of zombies.

Pardo had quite a bit to say about how Blizzard is going about the tweaks made to returning class skills and the new ones being brought in. "With any sort of sequel, and I'm going to go ahead and use Sid Meier's rule because we use something similar…The way he approaches sequels is one-third proven, one-third improved, and one-third new. That's pretty much how we approached StarCraft 2…some of the old units came in, some of the old units got improvements, we brought in some new units, and we also got rid of some units. I think you'll see something similar [in Diablo III]. The barbarian as you saw has a ton of abilities that are totally new but we had to bring over things like whirlwind."

So why announce Diablo now? We still don't have release dates for StarCraft II or World of Warcraft's Wrath of the Lich King expansion, which many were speculating would be announced at WWI, so why bring another high profile product into the pubic with yet another nebulous release date? "The announcement of our projects is usually when it's time for that game to be announced," said Pardo. "This project has been going for a while and it finally got to the point where it felt like it's time to announce the game. We kind of have this rule of, ideally, we announce a game a year to a year and a half before the game comes out. That's our theory, and then three years later [trails off]. We're getting to be a bigger and bigger studio so we can't just keep one game announced and everything else hidden. We have several games in development now."

Finally, when might we hear something about another MMO from Blizzard? "I think it'll be a while before we announce our next game."
    Source

Once more into the fray.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    all I can say is, I AM PUMPED !! That game play video is awesome !!

Master Sage
    Added a HD version of the 20 min video to the main post, and a voice journal.
    Diablo III Twenty-Minute HD Gameplay Movie
    Deckard Cain's journal (narrated by the man himself).

I just finished downloading the xvid HD version from the above link, AWSOME quality, i got 1450 KB/s from that site, so there isn't alot of traffic there yet, DL while you can.

Once more into the fray.

games gonna be sick. cant wait.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    I wonder what the next 3 classes are.
    Most likely some kind of caster like mage.
    Most likely a Paladin type class.
    Hmmm i hope the 3rd one is something new.

Master Sage
    i'm guessing the witch doctor will replace the necro, so i don't think we will see that in the full game since they are quite similar.

Added this video to the main post
    VE3D Video for Diablo III (PC) - Jessica Chobot Reports

Once more into the fray.

Forum Sage
    Nuvian, if you ask me, this post should be the "Official Diablo 3 thread."

Unlike Appolyon's thread, you offer multiple links, text, media pertaining to Diablo 3, while he has one link and a title.
    "It's real hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace.

Of course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free, 'cause then they're gonna
    get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are." ~Easy Rider (1969)

Master Sage
    I agree, i don't really think a thread should be named official just because it was made first.

Once more into the fray.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Looks amazing so far, but I still want to see more stuff though. I remember back in the days of Diablo II... such memories. I want to see all the character classes. I can't wait.

GuitarrassDeAmor
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Sin View Post
    Nuvian, if you ask me, this post should be the "Official Diablo 3 thread."

Unlike Appolyon's thread, you offer multiple links, text, media pertaining to Diablo 3, while he has one link and a title.
    That is because there was nothing out when App posted the thread, it was still a speculation about the game, but he made that to talk about it, and all information should be posted in there instead of having multiple threads about it.

Master Sage
    I'm about to start installing diablo 1 and the expansion, havent played that since release.

Added these 2 to the main post:
    GameSpot: Diablo III Video Interview (added 29/06/2008 )
    GameSpot: Diablo III First Look (added 29/06/2008 )

Once more into the fray.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    i bet it's a ranger/amazon.
    game is looking fantastic already, very polished and still 1-1,5 years away. huh, as a former diablo2 player this is a mustbuy for me. i hope they get the balance right this time and don't nerf those skills to death. whirlwind comes to my mind. btw they could also call the game diablo 3d , seems like this is the same engine they use for starcraft2 as well. all i wonder is what kind of impact will it have that the former diablo devs left blizzard and already came up with their own games: guildwars/hellgate london.
    When it comes to porting Final Fantasy XIII to Xbox 360, Square's of the opinion that it's not the size of the disc that matters; it's how you use it.

Master Sage
    added these 2 to the main post.
    Joystiq chats with Jay Wilson on Diablo 3
    GameSpy Preview: Diablo III
    Added some audio impressions to the main post
    Diablo 3: First Audio Impressions (added 29/06/2008 )

i love the diablo 2 soundtrack,specialy the one made for tristram and first act.

Once more into the fray.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    This thread needs a banner.
    Nuvian ask someone at design squad to make you one.

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    Sorcerer
    Paladin
    Amazon

Thats my guess, did they say 5 classes in total, was hoping for more but guess they will keep some back for the expansion.

Master Sage
    We might get suprized by what kind of classes they add, maybe they aim for 2 old classes (barb,sorc) and 3 new?
    could be quite awsome.

Once more into the fray.

Thread Information