PSN ID
    markiemark901
    many thanks goodsir lol

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Anytime.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    A question: When can we expect the shop to work again?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    A question: When can we expect the shop to work again?
    It's currently being looked at, but there's no ETA.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    It's currently being looked at, but there's no ETA.
    well shucks. Im wanting to spend some sp since clearly nobody is interested in my sig and av request

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Quote Originally Posted by KnotGamer901 View Post
    well shucks. Im wanting to spend some sp since clearly nobody is interested in my sig and av request
    The shop was an ok plug in I found.. but the dev of it didn't tell us it would have issues being part of a site this large. It relied on other parts of the database, and some tables, that when disabled seemed to break the shop. Or it just broke on its own, but the timing certainly suggests disabling the other plug in features broke it.

I was in talks with Steven to replace the shop with another plug in. however, it is likley that no matter the shop, icons will disappear. at the time I found this shop plug in, it was the only one that could even be used for postbit display like that. There may be more out now, but I am betting they only work on vbulletin 5.0, and PSU is only using vbulletin 4.2.1

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    The shop was an ok plug in I found.. but the dev of it didn't tell us it would have issues being part of a site this large. It relied on other parts of the database, and some tables, that when disabled seemed to break the shop. Or it just broke on its own, but the timing certainly suggests disabling the other plug in features broke it.

I was in talks with Steven to replace the shop with another plug in. however, it is likley that no matter the shop, icons will disappear. at the time I found this shop plug in, it was the only one that could even be used for postbit display like that. There may be more out now, but I am betting they only work on vbulletin 5.0, and PSU is only using vbulletin 4.2.1
    We're actually still on 4.2.0 (patch level 3). >_> 4.2.1 has over a hundred bug fixes and is considered an upgrade and not a patch.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901

oh well that explains it thanks for the clarification dude

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    We're actually still on 4.2.0 (patch level 3). >_> 4.2.1 has over a hundred bug fixes and is considered an upgrade and not a patch.
    Eh, I though he was upgrading during the last couple of weeks. In any event, 4.2.1, 4.2, doesn't matter... it isn't VB5.0, which is currently more widely supported. Most of the vbulletin community believes vb4.2** is an abomination.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    just pm people in purple

Administrator
    Eh, I though he was upgrading during the last couple of weeks. In any event, 4.2.1, 4.2, doesn't matter... it isn't VB5.0, which is currently more widely supported. Most of the vbulletin community believes vb4.2** is an abomination.
    I personally think vBulletin itself is an abomination, but we'll see what we can do. :]

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    I personally think vBulletin itself is an abomination, but we'll see what we can do. :]

The last "good" version of vbulletin, and the one that PSU was on during the busy time in 2008-2009 was VB3.8.

When they went to VB4.0, (they as in vbulletin as a dev), they made it too complicated and guarded for the 3rd party devs to make plug ins / mods. The new code didn't support Vb3.8 mods either. So we lost it all when PSU upgraded in 2010. You can see on our traffic graphs as well, that was a dark, dark time for PSU. The entire SP table was lost, the shop was gone, we were hacked, etc... since then vbulletin has been a thorn in PSU's side.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by -Dj- View Post
    just pm people in purple
    why pm people in purple?

@CuGuy- exactly how expensive would an update to 5.0 be?

14. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Administrator
    We were originally on phpBB, but moved to vB because it had better forum/site integration (at the time). I kind of miss it. The transition to vB was a little weird, but it was a lot more stable than this vB 4.x we're currently using.

exactly how expensive would an update to 5.0 be?
    Each 1.0 upgrade is about $200 dollars.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    We were originally on phpBB, but moved to vB because it had better forum/site integration (at the time). I kind of miss it. The transition to vB was a little weird, but it was a lot more stable than this vB 4.x we're currently using.

so about 200 then. geez thats pretty expensive to me but idk much about vBulletin or that kinda stuff

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy

I suggested to Steven moving back to phpBB, as it has evolved quite far.

The cost is 200 for the vbulletin, but run vbsuite (supposed to have user blogs, but no one has paid to have the tech guys activate and test them yet) is a little more I think. Unless we just ditch the user blogs feature and go back to standard vbulletin. The only additional cost is paying the tech team to deploy it. That, and the site loses money for the amount of time it is down which shouldn't be that long/much.

Administrator
    Not only that, but it's free and updated frequently.

The cost is 200 for the vbulletin, but run vbsuite (supposed to have user blogs, but no one has paid to have the tech guys activate and test them yet) is a little more I think. Unless we just ditch the user blogs feature and go back to standard vbulletin. The only additional cost is paying the tech team to deploy it. That, and the site loses money for the amount of time it is down which shouldn't be that long/much.
    Yeah... all the back end costs factor in as well. >_>

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    could we not get the tech team we have here to do it for free?

Administrator
    could we not get the tech team we have here to do it for free?
    We're looking at all the available options.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    ah ok. I didn't know if they were able to or not but apparently they are then. Thanks

Administrator
    I didn't say that... we're just looking into it.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    oh well in that case hurry the heck up and look

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III

I didn't say that... we're just looking into it.
    Oh ffs lol. Instead of paying a CM for a month, buy the upgrade and give me access to "deploy" it. Jesus. It isn't rocket science, and it certainly doesn't require some outside "tech guys" that don't seem to do much for PSU in the first place.

The "we're just looking into it" has been a PSU slogan since, I dunno, as far back as I joined.

Administrator
    We're looking into various options, not just vB... is what I'm getting at. If it was just a matter of upgrading, it'd be done already.

And I agree, our current [paid] tech team leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm being vague and I apologize, but the matter is being dealt with.
    Last edited by Brandon; 07-25-2013 at 19:23.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    The "we're just looking into it" has been a PSU slogan since, I dunno, as far back as I joined.
    It's the line I had to put out every time someone asked for something that would cost money.

Thread Information