Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    bruiser07

PS3 won't play .mp4 videos?

hello,

i bought quicktime pro to convert .mov files into .mp4 because i couldn't get any other program to work correctly on my PC. i followed the instructions on this website http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=4866 saying step by step what to do, and i ended up converting the dark knight trailer off of apple.com into an .mp4 format file that will play on my pc. i transferred that file to my ps3 using an external hard drive and the ps3 won't play the file saying "the data is corrupted". it'll play completely fine off my external drive when connected to my PC, but it won't play on the PS3. i tested this about 3 times back and forth, so i'm completely positive there is nothing corrupted about the file. the ps3 even recognizes the video and audio codecs in the information tab.

anyone else having problems playing .mp4 files since 2.40?

bruiser07
    alright i don't know what the problem is, but i used a program called yamb and it worked perfectly. so i basically wasted $30 because yamb is free and quicktime pro did not produce a .mp4 that was playable. this is why i hate apple.

Superior Member
    You could have tried this one too http://www.redkawa.com/videoconverters/ps3video9/ it is free and it is a great transcoder.

• [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Producer, cameraman and Video/Audio Editor of Black Hawk Down Socom3 style.
    Voted Best Socom video on (the now closed) socomvideos.com.
    Ah, good times.

Superior Member
    Quicktime is the devil. I try and stay far far away from that program

bruiser07
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodia View Post
    You could have tried this one too http://www.redkawa.com/videoconverters/ps3video9/ it is free and it is a great transcoder.
    i did try this one. it worked, but didn't do a very good job, the video was of poor quality with a lot of mirrored images

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    Quote Originally Posted by bruiser07 View Post
    alright i don't know what the problem is, but i used a program called yamb and it worked perfectly. so i basically wasted $30 because yamb is free and quicktime pro did not produce a .mp4 that was playable. this is why i hate apple.
    yes, blame it on apple
    PSN: Metfanant
    XBL: Metfanant
    Twitter: @Metfanant

Elite Guru
    Meh this is why I pirated QT pro, seriously if you programs arnt going to work how do you expect people to want to pay for them.

8. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    bruiser07
    Quote Originally Posted by Metfanant View Post
    yes, blame it on apple
    i hate apple because they forced me to pay $30 for something that wouldn't work for me for whatever reason. the .mp4 plays on my computer, not on the ps3. that's probably really sony's problem, but still why can't i trial quicktime pro and then buy it if it actually is useful?

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    i hate apple because they forced me to pay $30 for something that wouldn't work for me for whatever reason. the .mp4 plays on my computer, not on the ps3. that's probably really sony's problem, but still why can't i trial quicktime pro and then buy it if it actually is useful?
    they didn't FORCE you to buy anything...
    PSN: Metfanant
    XBL: Metfanant
    Twitter: @Metfanant

babyface
    i hate apple because they forced me to pay $30
    Really?? They forced you? At gunpoint? Were they threatening you?? Or just swearing at you?

C'mon, it just happens that we buy a ****ty product. That's life...

amc
    Ever since I upgraded to the 3.0 PS3 firmware, and iTunes 9.0, my PS3 will not import MP4 videos from my thumb drive or via Tversity; e.g., TED (videos) download from iTunes, used to work beautifully on my TV, but now the PS3 says something like "no video found", or "no valid video files found".

Paddy McCourt
    PSN ID
    thekhanster4444
    you cant blame apple if you chose to pay for the software. infact you could have even have got it free, not legal of course, but my point is how is apple to blame? If you know anything about video converting, it is that video editing software is a big hit-and-miss, and some converters convert video just fine, other times they dont and the video doesnt work, then you have to find a new one.

I never pay for video editing software, because there's always going to be some problem with it.

Veteran
    @gster. You're replying to someone from a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by amc View Post
    Ever since I upgraded to the 3.0 PS3 firmware, and iTunes 9.0, my PS3 will not import MP4 videos from my thumb drive or via Tversity; e.g., TED (videos) download from iTunes, used to work beautifully on my TV, but now the PS3 says something like "no video found", or "no valid video files found".
    Isn't itunes stuff protected with DRM?
    My game scores, based on how much I enjoyed playing 'em: Resistance: 93% Motorstorm/PR: 90%/90% RB6V: 45% NGS: 30% Oblivion: 30% COD3: 55% SC Double agent: 25% Full Auto: 0% Ridge Racer 7: 10%. Darkness: 88% FEAR: 70% Fight Night R3: 30% GRAW2: 78% Heavenly Sword: 84% Warhawk: 85% COD4: 92% Uncharted: 103% Everbody's Golf: 93% Haze 66% MGS4 72% GT5p+G25=100% Fallout 3 92% Infamous 100% U2AT: 115%

ambasw
    Hi,

I also have problems when playing high frame rate clips on PS3 FWv3.01. But the clip can be played well on FWv2.76. Where can I get more help on this?

The clips is here:
    http://www.freedrive.com/file/1006393,432_240_240p.mp4

Thanks for your help.

Master Poster
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Google ChromeDiceGoogle ChromeBattlefield 3Christian Bale
    Quote Originally Posted by Metfanant View Post
    they didn't FORCE you to buy anything...
    I wouldn't say they forced him but mislead him thinking that the converter would be decent. This is Apple for god sakes these guys are ment to be all about quality, BS.

BRUTALNICK
    mine was able to stream an .mp4 video from the net...

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by ambasw View Post
    Hi,

I also have problems when playing high frame rate clips on PS3 FWv3.01. But the clip can be played well on FWv2.76. Where can I get more help on this?

The clips is here:
    http://www.freedrive.com/file/1006393,432_240_240p.mp4

Thanks for your help.
    I tried downloading it on my PS3, but it said an error occured during the downloading process .

Sorry bud, can't help you out if the dl doesn't even work.
    I am a moron. Do not argue with me because I will drag you down to my level and win with experience .

My Imba 'net speed (no joke):

Quote Originally Posted by The_One View Post
    I tried downloading it on my PS3, but it said an error occured during the downloading process .

Sorry bud, can't help you out if the dl doesn't even work.
    PS3 cannot play any knids of MP4 files. PS3 can play MP4 video files with extension of .mp4 with video codec of MPEG-4 AVC H.264 /Xvid/DivX and audio codec of AAC. There are still some other MP4 video files are unsupported like MPEG-4 ASP.

As MPEG-4 AVC H.264 codec, support is limited to the following specifications:

AVC Profile: Baseline, Main or High Profiles
    Maximum bitrate: None specified. However, if bitrate is above 20Mbps, stuttering will occur when playback
    AVC Level: 4.2
    No B-Pyramid and P4x4 support
    4GB limit for streaming H.264 files

To successful play MP4 files that PS3 failed to see/recognize, transfer, playback or not normally playback, a better solution is to convert MP4 to PS3 supported MPEG-4 AVC codec or MPEG-2 video

Here is the detailed guide on how to successfully play various kinds of MP4 on PS3:
    http://videoconverter-software.blogs...p4-to-ps3.html

20. Likes D3seeker likes this post

Just google search Step by Step Guide to Play MP4 on PS3 (PlayStation 3)
    you will find a simple soluton

22. Likes Lefein likes this post
    Apprentice
    Excuse me!!!!

You hate apple you should have read more on Quicktime Quicktime converts Mpeg4 for iPhone iPad and ipod video and ipod touch don't blame apple for your problems because you didn't read up

Quote Originally Posted by johnodd4 View Post
    Excuse me!!!!

You hate apple you should have read more on Quicktime Quicktime converts Mpeg4 for iPhone iPad and ipod video and ipod touch don't blame apple for your problems because you didn't read up
    in fact my ps3 can play mp4 very well

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    jhuff
    Wow, that's weird. I use handbrake to make "Apple TV" files and they work just fine on my PS3. I have downloaded some mp4's that wouldn't work on the PS3, but all the mp4 and m4v files I have for the Apple TV, etc., works just fine on the PS3. So whatever program you're using must be including some different mp4 feature that doesn't work for whatever reason. Most of the mp4's I've seen that didn't work were converted from divx, so I wonder if that's got something to do with it. Seriously though, just use some free program like handbrake or video converter. If you follow the ipad or Apple TV compatible profiles with most of those apps it will work just fine. Like I said, I haven't seen any problems with that.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time give to you....
    http://www.woodchuckproductions.net

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Beyond strange. MOVs can use mp4 and H.264 codec butt not the other way around. Sounds like and odd firmware issue with the PS3. AVC/H.263/H.264/Mp4/M4v should all work no problem regardless. They do for me anyways

Handbrake that sucker, as a regular H.264 file and no worries.

Master Guru
    Sounds kinda random. I never had that problem.

Elite Guru
    ...This thread is almost 4 years old, it's possible the codecs that the PS3 had back in 2009 are not the same ones it supports today.

Thread Information