Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

5 Reasons Why Achievements Are Better Than Trophies

NextGen Player Feature Article - Part 1 of 2
    By Paul Hunter

With the launch of PS3 firmware update 2.40 on July 2, Sony has officially launched their own gamer reward system to compete with Microsoft's well entrenched Achievement system. Microsoft was the first the out of the gate, and has had two and a half years to refine and improve their product. With this experience under their belt, is Microsoft's Achievement offering better than their rival's Trophy system? Or has the extra time allowed Sony to develop a superior reward system?

In part 1 of this feature article, NextGen Player will examine the reasons why Achievements are better to Trophies. Next week, in part 2 we will examine the reasons why Trophies are better than Achievements.

--
    Xbox Achievements - A Brief Description

Since the launch of Xbox 360, Microsoft has mandated that retail games offer 1,000 points spread over a variable number of Achievements, while each Xbox Live Arcade title contains 12 achievements totaling 200 points. Developers also now have the option of adding up to 250 points via downloadable content (for a total of 1,250 points), and Xbox Live Arcade titles may add up to 50 points via downloadable content (for a total of 250 points).
    --

Reason #1: Gamerscore Loyalty

Having been around for two and a half years now, Xbox 360 gamers have amassed a deep collection of Achievements - many of which have taken hours to acquire. A growing number of Xbox 360 players have surpassed the coveted 10,000+ Achievement mark, a feat that takes patience, perseverance and most importantly - commitment. With so many dedicated hours obtaining Achievements, do Xbox 360 owners really want to begin collecting Sony's Trophy offerings? Every hour spent collecting Trophies is one less spent collecting Achievements, and that means gamerscores will rise more slowly. To some, Achievements are a competition - and for those people, Trophies would be a distraction.

With such a well established reward system, Achievements are a major advantage for Microsoft. When deciding whether to buy an Xbox 360 or PS3 version of the same game, many gamers will agree that they select Xbox 360 for the Achievements. Until Trophies gain some traction and gamer loyalty, Achievements will be more desired.

Reason #2: Consumer Affinity

Being first on the market with a reward system has given Microsoft another significant advantage in the battle for consumer dollars. As many Xbox 360 owners can attest too, obtaining an Achievement is a very gratifying experience. For those used to collecting points, seeing the familiar "Achievement Unlocked" pop-up message and hearing the reward sound can be an exciting moment. Many Xbox 360 players view their gamerscore as part of their online identity, and Achievements create an instantly recognizable symbol of your commitment to hardcore gaming. There are entire communities formed based on the common interest of Achievements (e.g. Xbox360Achievements.org), and it's that strong personal affinity that will keep many gamers playing on Microsoft's platform.

Reason #3: Full Game Library Compatibility

Microsoft rolled-out their Achievement reward system for the Xbox 360 at launch, meaning all retail and downloadable games in the Xbox 360 library contain Achievements. The only exception to the rule is original Xbox titles purchased on the Live Marketplace, but that makes sense given these games never had Achievements when originally released. As an Xbox 360 owner, you are empowered with the knowledge that all games for your platform contain Achievements, no matter what the release date, distribution channel (retail vs. DLC), or publisher.

Conversely, things are much more complicated for the Playstation 3. Since firmware update 2.40 (which includes support for Trophies) was just released a few days ago, to date only Super Stardust HD has been patched for Trophies. Sony has announced a handful of other titles (see the list here) but the reality is that the vast majority of the Playstation library does not support Trophies. To further complicate the situation, a number of developers have stated that they will not be patching previously released titles. High profile games not receiving Trophy patches include: Call of Duty 4, Devil May Cry 4, GRID, Ratchet and Clank Future, Resistance, among others. While it's good to see some previously released PS3 games will receive Trophy patches, when compared to Xbox 360's full library compatibility, Trophies just don't stack up.

Reason #4: Better Online Integration

Another significant advantage Achievements have over Trophies is their online integration capabilities. Microsoft has leveraged their existing MSN Live ID infrastructure to allow gamers to login to their Xbox accounts with ease. When logged in, gamers have a full range of options available to them: including viewing their gamercard and comparing Achievements with friends. An additional edge Achievements have over Trophies is the ease in which gamers can display their gamercards online. Widget application provider My Gamer Card allows any Xbox 360 user the ability to display their gamercards on websites and in forum signatures effortlessly - with the gamercard will automatically updating your Achievement list in real-time.

Playstation Trophies, while still in their infancy, are still lacking in online integration. Sony has no comparable PSN login website where gamers can review and compare game performance with their friends. And while a company called Playfire has rushed to be the first to create Gamercard service for Trophies, their widget (still in beta) currently does not update Trophies in real-time. In order to display your Trophy list, users need to manually search and select which Trophies they have acquired. This is time consuming and as a gamer, we'd rather be playing then constantly updating some online form.

Reason #5: Manageability

Last, but certainly not least, the Xbox 360 interface is cleaner, faster to navigate, and more and intuitive. The easy-to-use dashboard allows gamers to access the information they need, such as browsing Achievements and comparing their performance with friends, in a shorter period of time. The Playstation 3 interface is improving, but is more cumbersome to navigate overall - and you still can't call up the XMB to review your Trophies during playback of PS2 games, Blu-Ray discs, and DVDs. Microsoft has built a more manageable reward system that allows gamers to spend less time flipping through menus and spend more time doing what they do best - game.
    Source
    Since most people here are multiplat console owners.... what do you prefer now that you have tried the trophy system on the PS3?

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.

Future_Trunks
    I agree somewhat with the list.
    Achievements are linked to your profile and score as well as all games have them which is a really good thing.

We'll just have to wait how things pan out with HOME this year.

Super Elite
    Meh they both aren't that great at the moment. Trophies have way more potential though, considering the level system and such. Having them be a physical entity in Home is quite cool too and if they become standard (which I hope Sony is pushing from now on) it will be awesome.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Not really an article which details the pro's and con's of each system. It's very pro-achievements. I think a more reasoned article that talks about the good and bad in both would be more useful. Then this could posted in the multi-platform forum.

From my perspective. I really like the levelling up feature in Trophies and I hope that MS can adopt that either in a fw update this gen, or at least in the next gen. By the same token there are many things I like about achievements over Trophies - the most obvious of which is that achievements is in every single 360 game.

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    As soon as some PS3 games start using them I'll let you know. I'll reserve my judgement until then.

Veteran
    From that list I think that:

#1 and #2 are basically the same thing but I see and agree with the point.

#3 and #4 I agree with.

#5 is completely down to opinion and I don't think that the PS3 Trophy interface is harder to navigate than the 360's Achievement one. The lists are basically identical in function with different aesthetics. I am a huge fan of the XMB overall, though - I think it's much nicer to use than the Dashboard.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    Not really an article which details the pro's and con's of each system. It's very pro-achievements. I think a more reasoned article that talks about the good and bad in both would be more useful. Then this could posted in the multi-platform forum.

From my perspective. I really like the levelling up feature in Trophies and I hope that MS can adopt that either in a fw update this gen, or at least in the next gen. By the same token there are many things I like about achievements over Trophies - the most obvious of which is that achievements is in every single 360 game.
    This is pro achievements because it is part 1.

"Next week, in part 2 we will examine the reasons why Trophies are better than Achievements."

Gamerscore loyalty a reason seriously ok whatever smh a lot of the other stuff Lempel said they are working on Sony will close that gap trust
    People talk so much stuff about games they forget to play em'

Remember Sony Loves You

Rareware
    I think for the same reason that the Wii-Mote does well on the Wii, but MS' and Sony's versions will be viewed as shoddy knock-off's. People see both as an attempt to duplicate the success of the first.

Personally, I don't like the leveling system. It says to me that a gamer isn't good enough to achieve to get 100 headshots, but will be satisfied with 25 just to get something.

I like the idea of difficult achievements that must be fully obtained. There should be no reward for 2nd best.

Elite Guru
    That is a very opinionated article. #1, is all fine a dandy but for anyone who hasn't started a gamerscore there's no loyalty. I don't think Sony is trying as much to take away from MS's fanbase as they are attracting the fanbase that hasn't bought into next gen yet. No difference.

Yes, there is a website. But as you can already see by our forum, the PS fanbase is very, very quickly jumping onto trophies and starting their own trophy hungry community. No difference.

Now that's just having to high an expectation. The thing came out last week. Most every game will have trophies from here on out. Sony is making it a requirement. You could give it to the 360, but that's a low blow.

#4 is fully in favor of MS, no doubts there. Much better online integration.

#5 is completely opinionated with very little fact behind it (only that you can't use in-game xmb during PS2, DVD and blu-ray usage). I find both are easy to navigate in their own rights. Neither is "cumbersome" to use, and you're not going to get lost or anything. People have dealt with Windows for years, clearly ease of use is not the highest ranking feature in OS GUI's among consumers.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Beamer1112 View Post
    People have dealt with Windows for years, clearly ease of use is not the highest ranking feature in OS GUI's among consumers.
    LOL

For that comment alone you get a big fat +rep from me D

*carries on browsing the forum with his Mac*

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    360's Achievements has been there quite a while now. Of course it's better in a lot of ways. The trophy system is still somewhat an infant. However, everything mentioned above can be improved overtime. This is the beauty of PSN. They still have a lot of areas they can improve upon. Unlike Live, there's nothing much more we can expect from it.

Dedicated Member

On the 360 I never became obsessed with getting all the points and achievements, because I don't really care how big my gamerscore was. I completed a game and that was that.

I suppose if and when Home is released and you can view all your trophies, that could be a really interesting feature.

Forum Sage
    To be quite honest, both systems don't have a good rewarding system. Achievements really are just a bunch of numbers at the moment and earning trophies is just getting a bunch of levels that don't really mean anything in the end.

It would have been great to see if we could actually get something out of it. For example, with gamer score on the 360, you could get earn Microsoft points depending on your gamer score....or unlock DLC for games you own etc. Microsoft could let you unlock themes since they charge for them if anything.

Same thing with trophies, it would be great if we could earn trophies and get points. Sony has a rewards site up where you get points for every purchase you make....with or without their credit card. One point is like .1 cent....and the more you get, the more stuff you can get free. Using the rewards system I have been able to get a movie and headphones free......so using the same system with trophies, where you get points that equal .1 cent or something like (since the PSN actually uses dollars) it would be great to unlock things from the PSN store. I know Sony is doing something like this with Home....but it would be great if they did it with trophies.

The Heisman
    imo- the only big difference... or the only differnce that matters to me...

is the lack of games that support it...

I mean real talk- the trophy system isn't really going to be fully implemented for another year.

1) devs will just begin to implement them now
    2) HOME won't be released until next spring/summer (at which time I expect to see the current @D system enhanced quite a bit)

Achievements definitely has the edge... and likely will for the large majority of this generation.

By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    I haven't had a chance to try the PS3 system yet, but i like the idea more then the current MS achievement system (which i'm used to).

Level system is more my style and hopefully it will have some use in home.

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.

Elite Sage
    Items User name style
    If Sony can do something more with the Trophies then I'll be happy. Collecting points, images for doing something special in a game isn't that exciting.

Now if my Trophy level gave me something more in real life, like reach level 5 get a free t-shirt then maybe it would be worth spending that extra time. Or get free special stuff inside Home for getting higher levels and so forth.
    Alive and well, running my own business and having fun. Visit it below;
    Letterpress Invitations and Stationary

babyface
    Sorry - I know that as a PS3 owner I'm bound to disagree - but that list really fails in several parts.

- No. 1. and 2 are basically saying the same, and they're not only subjective, but are just stating the obvious - the Microsoft system has been out longer, and has therefore a much larger cult of followers today. I fail to see how that makes a system better in quality (having been out longer and therefore being used by more people).
    - No. 3 and 4 are mostly correct and absolutely valid
    - No. 5 has nothing to do with Trophies, but is just a general rant about which console's GUI is better (which is, obviously, always also a question of personal taste, to some degree). Oh, you can't compare Tropies while watching a Blu-Ray? OK, if that is REALLY an issue for you, you might have some other issues as well. Just sayin'...

Apparently, it's not easy to come up with 5 really solid points to show why Gamerscore is better. Could it be that all of this is pretty subjective in the end anyway?

And just for the records, in my opinion, both systems are totally idiotic when they are used to compare peoples scores over different types of games. Someone summing up a Gamerscore of 20000 just by playing all racing games perfectly, and someone else getting 10000 just by being the king of all FPS games - now how does that compare? But that seems to be a religious debate too, and so I've long given up on it. Comparing $#@!s seems to be so important to many guys that they give up all common sense for it.

PSU Technical Advisor
    I think #5 is totally bogus on that list.... Nor is it directly related to the argument at hand.

Feels like a tack on.

Soldier 95B
    I can't wait to see part 2 and dissect that one as well.

Forum Guru
    Well, it's too early for me to say for SURE...but at this point I think I still prefer xbox achievements...I THINK. I like the "gamerscore" and the standardized system all across the board...every game = 1,000 points and all games have achievements.

BUT I see huge room for improvement from Trophies. IF the rumors about tying Trophies in to Home are true, then Trophies will easily take the lead.

For example, the gamers with the highest "Level" from Trophies will have the oceanfront apartments, larger apartments, better furniture, etc...gamers will be awarded for being "top-dog" gamers...that would be AWESOME. Then it becomes more than "points" or "levels" but has ACTUAL CONSEQUENCES AND RESULTS. That would take the cake. Hardcore, good gamers would be REWARDED.

Master Poster
    Very strong opinion...everyone has one .. this is one of many

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    As soon as some PS3 games start using them I'll let you know. I'll reserve my judgement until then.
    Gotta go with rad on this one. Right now....trophies are just an idea. Let's see them being used first. In the end, I imagine this will come down to yet another pissing contest between the 360 and the PS3. But....then again....pissing contests are what we live for. Right?
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Community Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFenwick View Post
    If Sony can do something more with the Trophies then I'll be happy. Collecting points, images for doing something special in a game isn't that exciting.

Now if my Trophy level gave me something more in real life, like reach level 5 get a free t-shirt then maybe it would be worth spending that extra time. Or get free special stuff inside Home for getting higher levels and so forth.
    Well, there are the 360Voice Old Spice challenges on the Xbox which I think are brilliant. Not too sure if they're still doing them, but they used to give out MS points, etc.

http://www.360voice.com/challenge-rules.asp

Having something like that always seemed a good idea to me.

The Hero From Vault 101
    wow...trophies haven't even been out a month and people are comparing them already..come on now..yes maybe its a knockoff of achievements but at least give it a little breathing room before you start comparing them against each other
    PS3: Uncharted 2 /// 360: Modern Warfare 2

Thread Information