Veteran

Forum Back up! 25/03/04

Hello everybody! I'm pleased to announce that PS3Forums is back online! I must first start by apologising for the recent down time of the forum which has was roughly one long month. We had hosting issues which didn't get resolved...

However we've remade the Forum all over again and we hope we can re-establish the forums regular community. I'd like to point out that it is going to take a little while for the forum to get back to how it was what with all the 'mod-coding' that has to be redone

But we appreciate your patience and we hope you guys will continue to post here and enjoy the PS3Forums community. Thank you,

Master Guru

--Advertising--

Not only do we want to report PS3 news and make this website the best, but we want the site to make as much money as possible. I was thinking that this would be a good topic to discuss ideas on how we can optimize the website to where we dont push people away but we have as many ads as we can get and charge the most for them.

1. I think having .gif animation ads would be nice so that we can display multiple ads within on box. I realize that if the ad only flashes every 2 secs that companies wont pay as much but if we have multiple flashes of different ads that way we get more companies and we save more space on the page.

2. I think the idea about a PS3land.com radio is a great way to make money. Its free for us to post up a radio station and at the same time we can profit from the advertisments that we can play once every hour. I also think that if we had multiple radio stations....like one for each staff member (but we only have 3-5 going at once) then we can also bring in more money.

3. Charge people to post their gaming website link on our site.

4. Maybe have some kinda of subscription that allows certain members to certain exclusive interviews and other goodies.

These are just a few ideas I had earlier today. I thought we could all brain storm on the best ways to optimize the website for space but fit as many ads, adn other ways of making money on to the site without pushing viewers away.

I love the idea of the internet radio station.. very easy to set up and think about it if ever games started using internet radio stations in the game this would be brilliant for advertizing options. Think about driving a car in GTA and hearing PS3Land radio streaming over the airways. This idea could take some looking into as far as a site based radio staion.. You could broadcast over Winamp, iTunes, and WMP. good stuff

Wyatt

Master Poster

Animated ads are extremely annoying, and if anything they will push people away.

Radio station is a good idea, but is it actually common for advertisers to pay for ads on online-based radio stations?

The subscription service is a good idea, but only if we produce our own brilliant content - for example, i believe video reviews take a lot of effort, and so they should be premium content. but whether we can actually produce enough content regularly is the question.

Master Poster
    1. I've got loads of ideas and experience for how to optimise adverts to make the most from banners, so no worries here about that. After launch I'll be talking to publishers about game-specific adverts like you see on Gamespot/IGN - they look great and pay well, so that should be good.

2. PS3Land radio is an interesting idea. Would it be music? Talking about gaming issues? Who would run it and DJ for it? What type of music would be play? Would people really want to listen to it?

3. I don't think theres that much money to be made from this. You couldnt charge too much as not many people would pay it, and it would take up space on the site we could use for other ads.

4. Kinda like IGN/Gamespot do? Possibly, but not until we have a lot of people writing a lot of amazing content. As bhav said, video reviews would be cool - though I'm tempted by the idea of making them free as it would bring a lot of traffic.

Good suggestions overall and I like the idea of brainstorming ways of making more revenue. The site is making enough to cover hosting, staff and reinvestment expenses, so theres no worry aboout financial problems though.
    Co-Founder: PSU | Playfire

Master Poster

Yes although video reviews could be premium content, I think it'd be in PS3Land's best interests to have a completely open site, with freely available resources - in the long term, we could end up with so many visitors that ad revenue will pay off all costs, and then some.

I've never liked the idea of parts of sites being subscriber-only, because as soon as webmasters realise that people are willing to pay, they just make more and more stuff pay-only. I'm not saying this is PS3Land's intention, but just that being on the receiving end of this is not nice.

It's good to know the very few, well-placed, ads PS3Land currently has is paying off main costs.

For the radio station...

Even if its main intent is not to produce revenue.. it may be a fun idea to implement for our subscribers. As far as music goes.. it could be anything.. maybe scheduled times for different types.. or a automated playlist where our viewers request a song via the site and it autoplays.. every 30 mins or so a cut PS3land intro would play.. on the top of the hour we could have a news broadcast for 1 min highlighting the main news .. we could then eventually do live broadcasts.. like a PS3land exclusive PS3 release day broadcast full of fun contests for our listeners and events. ect ect.

Ive seen this idea work quite well before... as far as DJ's is concerned.. Im sure someone out there has internet radio broadcast experience and would be willing to have fun with it. I will keep my ear to the ground for that!

Regards,
    Wyatt

Quote Originally Posted by WyattB
    For the radio station...

Even if its main intent is not to produce revenue.. it may be a fun idea to implement for our subscribers. As far as music goes.. it could be anything.. maybe scheduled times for different types.. or a automated playlist where our viewers request a song via the site and it autoplays.. every 30 mins or so a cut PS3land intro would play.. on the top of the hour we could have a news broadcast for 1 min highlighting the main news .. we could then eventually do live broadcasts.. like a PS3land exclusive PS3 release day broadcast full of fun contests for our listeners and events. ect ect.

Ive seen this idea work quite well before... as far as DJ's is concerned.. Im sure someone out there has internet radio broadcast experience and would be willing to have fun with it. I will keep my ear to the ground for that!

Regards,
    Wyatt
    Hell, I have about 10GBs of songs on my computer, I wouldn't mind contributing.

Master Poster

I think a radio station is a good idea, but I do believe podcasts would be more feasible, and easier to do regularly. we could have music in the podcasts, and discuss PS3 and whatever else between tracks.

As I've mentioned somewhere before, podcasts should be easy to do, because a few of us just need to get into a skype convo, and record everything. (obviously skype doesnt have to be used - i'm sure there's better stuff out there for what we want)

Master Guru

I agree with everyone so far...

Rebon, you got ads taken care of adn we should have videos be free as well as maybe have links to other peoples sites as long as its mutual.

As for the PS3land radio...Here is my idea....

1. Have the staff members take turns linking their itunes up for people to connect to.

2. Have a list of advertisments of sponsered companies that we can either talk about on the radio or just play their ads for a few minuets every few hours.

3. Its free for us to post a PS3land radio and we can make money of of playing a few ads.

4. Whoever is running the PS3radio that day or hour (depending on how we decide to run it) can play anything from top hits of today to video game music from Final Fantasy VII....which I have...lol

5. Maybe we could have a link to each of our own radio stations where we play our favorite music all day and fans of us can listen in while surfing our website.

6. I think we should capitalize on as many ads as we can post or play without taking up space oin the website or scaring people away.

Master Guru

Also...just a thought...how does it work to get ads from companies adn how do they pay you? Maybe we could all brainstorm ideas on marketing ploys to get more businesses to pay more and put ads on our site. Also maybe actually go out adn find big spenders that would pay tons of money to advertse on our site as well.

Master Poster
    I think the radio idea is a good one, but it's probably not worth focusing on for a little while yet. Soemtime after launch. Do you think thats about right?

Also, for the ads, it takes contacts in the ad industry/game publishing industry which I've been building up over the last few years. I don't think we need to worry about this as Ive got it under control.
    Co-Founder: PSU | Playfire

Master Guru

I can't wait for the new site to go up....ITS GOING TO BE PIMP!!!

Thread Information