Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Veteran

What does everyone think?

Info:

Sony has unveiled the PSX, a new machine which combines a TV tuner, DVD recorder and PS2 into a single box. The PSX will include a hard-disk drive and broadcast satellite tuner and is due for launch in Japan this year and in Europe and the United States early next year as an all-in-one entertainment device for games, music and moving pictures.

What does everyone think? Too expensive? (Currently $995 for top of the range import model)

Dedicated Member
    first of all THE PSX IS NOT A NEW GAMES MACHINE. i get so tired of ppl thinking it is, no offense but that is a real stupid thing to say. but i forgive u because while u only just posted this post i think its old because of the way you said in japan this year and in US and europe next year
    just so every1 is more clear on this the PSX is a multimedia device (which a might post a thread about its features) that in effect has a ps2 in it, this thing is not a new console, it has been done by sony corp and not SCE. just think of it this way, a DVD burner with a massive HDD (diffrent sizes for the 2 models but both a huge), plus loads of fuctinality plus the ability to play ps2 and ps1 games all for around $1000
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Veteran
    I know its not a new games machine but your reading into what im saying far too much. Its new - Its a machine - It plays PS2 games - hence me refering to it a new games machine. I'm aware that it is not a new PS2 PS3, PS4, Gamecube, Xbox or anything like that! It simply plays PS2 games and is a machine hence refreing to it as a new games machine.

Blake
    I agree with Morph, you read way to much into things. You seem to want to spur debate where it's not needed, I enjoy your intellegence in gaming related matter and I assure you the debates will come. But dont undermine someone, especially when what they said has no room for debate anyways. "new machine" I believe it's fairly obvious what he was saying here. In essence it is a new gaming machine.

Dedicated Member
    your right and im sorry, its just that from a year or 2 ago around 80% of my friends turned into xbox fanboys, and i mean real fanboys and u know what xbox fanboys are like, pretty soon after that we were no longer friends but beeing in the same classes at school it was enebitble what happend, more arguments increasing in scale, not because i started em its just becausse they loved to come out with their stupid incorrect comments and i just corrected em and gave em some basic info about computers of course beeing fanboys they wouldnt listen so i desided there was no other way apart from total war, safe to say the arguments stoped prety soon and imnow friends with half of em again, we jsut not talk about xbox and ps2 much and the games instead which i can do as i have both consoles. woops tht went on abit and i havent even got to the main bit. okay basicly when the first psx news came out they were all like ha sony is bringing out a new games console and they cant even make any better hardware then in the ps2, well something like tht
    i just read morphus post in the wrong way, and im sorry for that, il try to not do that again i just jumped to conclustions and went into argument mode sorry once again
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Blake
    X-box trolls... Everythings cool man, keep up the great posts.

Apprentice

ps2 kicks everything about x-box... the first ps kicks x-box... x-box only has halo and rainbox 6 and that's it!!! there's no final fantasy, not all of the tony hawk games, no zelda, no mario, not much good... basically, x-box is really only good for first person shooters...
    and, the psx looks awesome but i heard it's really expensive and i have to save up for so much already, like the ps3 when it comes out, a trip to mexico, a trip to greece (so excited about that), and a trip to see my boyfriend... unfortunately this year, psx is sorta my last resort... plus i already have all the things to make up for it... oh well...
    bye
    "Pitiful mortal. Your hope ends here."

Blake
    Cool didnt notice we had a girl on the forum. I dont have a problem with any of the consoles really. I believe they're all great..Im just not a big fan of M$, but I dont let that get in the way of playing the X-box because it is a good system.

Yes PSX retails at almost $1000 which is pricy indeed. Only the wealthy and desperate are going to throw out the cash for this beast. If Sonly releases two different kinds of PS3's though, I might be willing to fork out the money for the more expensive one.

Dedicated Member
    yea but its cheap if u consider what its got in it, i mean a lot of DVD recorders can cost say £500 so that would be about $750 by themselves and the psx has a dvd recorder, a massive hdd (the more expensive version has a 250GB hdd, thats the $1000 costing 1. there is a $700 costing 1 which will have a 150GB hdd instead). when the specs are fully restored if they arnt already its specs are
    huge (150 or 250 GB) HDD
    ps2
    ps2 network adapter
    DVD recorder (DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R and DVD+RW)
    CD-R
    TIFF files
    GIFF files
    MP3 support
    15 second fast-forward flash function
    Video title sorting
    USB keyboard support
    24x DVD reading speed
    4x DVD writing
    Cybershot camera animation support
    i may have missed some stuff out though and i may have made a few small mistakes somewhere though

Apprentice

i can see your point, it does seem cheap when you put it that way...
    but, i hope that x-box doesn't gain the lead of ps still!!! it's pretty unfair how they're not even a legendary gaming system and with one console they're apparently better than nintendo!!! nintendo and ps have the best games and stuff... hopefully it perks up and is right along the side of the ps... the psx and ps3 is going to keep it right up on top, exactly where it should be!!!
    anyways...
    i guess psx is cheap for all of the features!!! it would still take 1/4 of my years wages to get it though!!! (student with part-time job...)

bye

Master Poster
    The PSX is not for me. There is nothing in it that I would particulary want anyway that I dont have in some form, even if it was priced much cheaper.
    Co-Founder: PSU | Playfire

Blake
    Agreed, the PSX is more for those techno nerds that like that sorta thing. I have a PC with alot of the features the PSX has and I never use them. Im with you though Chels, I hope the PSX does well.

Re: What does everyone think?

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus
    Info:

Sony has unveiled the PSX, a new machine which combines a TV tuner, DVD recorder and PS2 into a single box. The PSX will include a hard-disk drive and broadcast satellite tuner and is due for launch in Japan this year and in Europe and the United States early next year as an all-in-one entertainment device for games, music and moving pictures.

What does everyone think? Too expensive? (Currently $995 for top of the range import model)
    It looks like a ****ty DvD player. Back to the garbage with that, id never buy it if you were thinking about it. Waste of money, $1000 pffffff.....I can get ATi Radeon 880 Pro 256mb with that money in a couple of days.

Blake
    Performance is all that matters, for get the desighn. $1000 is a very resonable price for that's all included with it, give or take a little. The Radeon statement is invalid as a graphics card and entertainment box cant be compared. Im with you though, Im much looking forward to getting a Radeon and the only reason I wont buy a PSX is simply because Im not that interested. I can do the same things with my computer.

Apprentice

i'm planning on buying a ps3, and wouldn't buy a psx, but i do also think it looks sorta bad, but at least ps3 is making stuff, while x-box and gamecube are sittin' on their butts doin' nothing. seriously, all gamecube has done in the past few years is make GBA into a cellphone device thing so that every little GBA guy can think he's a little bit cooler. And x-box hasn't really done anything.
    the ps is stayin' on top for a reason. they make new stuff like the psx and psp and stuff. and they have some of the best games. you can't really compare, so maybe we shouldn't totally knock the psx until we actually see it in person!

Blake
    Heh, remember Chels Gamecube, and Xbox's are just consoles...not companies. When making an argument remember to say "Sony is doing blah blah blah, while MS and Nintendo aren't".

GBA in to a cell-phone device? Im confused, anyone else here this. I figure your talking about the N-Gage out by Nokia...a cellualar phone company.

Well really every company brings out new things to keep it's console saling well. For instance, X-Box Live is MS's main thing right now. Nintendo has the GBA and they always release different color of consoles. The Nintendo DS will also be out soon. So Sony isn't the only company releasing new products to support thier main one, they're just better at it.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blake
    Heh, remember Chels Gamecube, and Xbox's are just consoles...not companies. When making an argument remember to say "Sony is doing blah blah blah, while MS and Nintendo aren't".

GBA in to a cell-phone device? Im confused, anyone else here this. I figure your talking about the N-Gage out by Nokia...a cellualar phone company.

Well really every company brings out new things to keep it's console saling well. For instance, X-Box Live is MS's main thing right now. Nintendo has the GBA and they always release different color of consoles. The Nintendo DS will also be out soon. So Sony isn't the only company releasing new products to support thier main one, they're just better at it.
    if i remember correctly Nintendo released a add on for the gba which aloud u to use it as a cell phone but it was sold and for Japan only
    and the point of the psx is for those people who have so much crap in their living roomís so they can do this that and everything else, the psx is to replace it as a singular device that does it all which makes life that much easier if that makes sense

$1000? Thatís crazy. Iíve already got a PS2 and I don't need a DVD Recorder so its useless to me.

Blake
    Well yea, you'll see that most dont need or want this device. It's only for the diehards or the freakishly rich. It's a pretty neat device but would be useless for me to get it.

It's a Sony!
    And I shall Buy one when it comes.....
    Better a Psx then a dvd player and ps2....
    I have a Ps2 but I think Psx is better when I waths movies!!!

Blake
    But a PS2 DVD player works just as well as a typicall DVD player, what would be the point in getting it just for the DVD player? Plus I wouldnt say anything is better unless you have tried it. You cant really say the PSX is better than the PS2 because essentially the PSX is a PS2 just with a whole lot of extras. Maybe you could say it's a better version of the PS2, but not greater than the PS2.

Ok...
    But I can Burn Tv programs and play game att same time.....(on the HDD).

I don't want 2 different machines.... One for game and one for recording TV and play DVD....

Quote Originally Posted by Nissan350z
    Ok...
    But I can Burn Tv programs and play game att same time.....(on the HDD).

I don't want 2 different machines.... One for game and one for recording TV and play DVD....
    http://liksang.com/news.php?artc=3244
    Liksang.com has A LOT of info on the PSX.

I don't care for the PSX so I'm not sure, but I think you can only do one or the other at the same time.

And for the different machines, look at the size diff. ( PSX is on the Left. )

I think two machines might just save you space.

I bought one when the day they came out here in Japan. Overall it's ok (but the price is high). You can record to HD and play games at the same time (although you can't pause a game and go into the sys menu). It plays music burnt to CD-R but dosn't support copying to the HD from cd-r. What I would love is a way to access the HD over the Lan. transfering photos from a camera via USB takes forever (8-10 secs). burn to DVD is average. Would luv to see an english manual for this.

And on a Swedish site ps2 site (playstation.com) , they wrote that it could...

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nissan350z
    I bought one when the day they came out here in Japan. Overall it's ok (but the price is high). You can record to HD and play games at the same time (although you can't pause a game and go into the sys menu). It plays music burnt to CD-R but dosn't support copying to the HD from cd-r. What I would love is a way to access the HD over the Lan. transfering photos from a camera via USB takes forever (8-10 secs). burn to DVD is average. Would luv to see an english manual for this.

And on a Swedish site ps2 site (playstation.com) , they wrote that it could...
    make sure u get all the upgrade cd's/patches

Thread Information