Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Why do you want trophies so much?

Just wondering, why do people want trophies so badly?

The reason I ask is because I see people getting annoyed about lack of trophies in titles like R&C: ToD, Uncharted, Pain and Resistance: FoM, I have to wonder why the hell do you want them? Each of these games has an extremely well rounded 'trophy' like system built in.

So, if like me, you want Trophies to add re playability, don't get annoyed about lack of trophies in Pain because they're already there. But, if you want Trophies to enlarge your e-peen then I pity you :P.

Dedicated Member
    i want them to add replay value, and with Resistance, Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank i either have all or am very close to getting all of the games unlockables. So it will mean that i will want to play through them again.
    Why can't we treat our fellow men, With more respect and a shake of their hands?

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Slacker View Post

The reason I ask is because I see people getting annoyed about lack of trophies in titles like R&C: ToD, Uncharted, Pain and Resistance: FoM, I have to wonder why the hell do you want them? Each of these games has an extremely well rounded 'trophy' like system built in.

So, if like me, you want Trophies to add re playability, don't get annoyed about lack of trophies in Pain because they're already there. But, if you want Trophies to enlarge your e-peen then I pity you :P.
    For replayability and so that you can compare with friends and stuff. its also so that we get "rewarded" for hard challenges

Thanks to ScorpionT16 for the Sig!!!

Superior Member
    Yea, its cool to know that you beat something on super hard mode, but its even cooler when you have proof to show your friends, and get a reward, even if its just a virtual trophy, and also you can call bs to those people we know, we all know one, that are like yea, i beat cod on super vertern mode, yea i unlocked darth vader.... We just ask him where is trophy is now. It adds some replay value as well, gives us just another reason to play our favorite games

Superior Member
    to have a trophy for being the best in the game. So people can see what you have accomplished.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Apprentice

its just to show off... it gives us another reason to play the game again... not that i need another reason to play MGS4... but well anything that you can show to your friends to tell them, look am better :P lol JK

Veteran
    As people said, it's to show off to people who don't have that game and to add up to a total score... It's just a cool feature, and knowing it's universal rather than just a game at a time is more enticing.

It's the thing that kept the arcade alive in the 70s and 80s: The fact you could have your name up on the top scorers list.

Superior Member
    its another form of getting one up on your mates :P nothing to do with my e-manhood i play games against my mates now aswell as playing multiplayer you can compete playing the game normaly.. and see who can get the most trophies..

Apprentice

srry guys im not with this trophy thing im a little what they call OLD SCHOOL lolplease sumbody help me out here i play games beat them, and nothing WTF??? i mean i could give a rats whether i get bling or i dont but does it only work on some games??? i have bought new releases beat them and nothing is different, can you play peoplefor trophies like you can in Madden 08 ??? anyway get back to me Peace OUT!

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver2008 View Post
    srry guys im not with this trophy thing im a little what they call OLD SCHOOL lolplease sumbody help me out here i play games beat them, and nothing WTF??? i mean i could give a rats whether i get bling or i dont but does it only work on some games??? i have bought new releases beat them and nothing is different, can you play peoplefor trophies like you can in Madden 08 ??? anyway get back to me Peace OUT!
    Well they put it there for the option for people to use it if they want. And no not all games have it, and if i understand your second question right then no its not like you play against someone and whoever wins gets something, its if you manage to do something hard or good, you get a trophy

Superior Member
    The thing I like about trophies is they give you a reason to re-play an older game that you haven't played in awhile to earn them. For instance I haven't touched Uncharted in a long-*** time, but when the trophy patch comes I'll go through it again and re-experience its utter greatness. Same with SS:HD, played the hell outta it and didn't touch it for awhile then the patch dropped and I picked it back up.

I couldn't care less about showing them off or comparing them with others, but earning the tough trophies by completing difficult challenges is a good time (Shock and Awe, lol) on games you enjoy and adds extra incentive to re-play them over and over again.

So I guess I like trophies because they give you a reason to re-experience a game fully, from beginning to end, in a way even more comprehensive then your first play through as your trying to meet specific objectives and really paying attention/modifying strategies to complete objectives in a different manner then you probably did the first time through. On that note, I truly believe that games should not be released with trophies, I think the game should drop then trophies should come a month or so later. It would kind of give the game a 'second breath of life' I think, and 'trophy *****s' could just wait to get the game till the patch is released.
    R.I.P. Tom Clancy.

May you have many Commies to wage war upon in Valhalla.

Elite Member

Theres also the fact that there has been a similar feature on the xbox 360 for a very long time. Sony is keeping up with the compatition! Though I am glad they are doing it with this feature. If they also start introducing wii, mii style avatars like MS are planning to do, to the PS3 then I wont be amused.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by babybell View Post
    Theres also the fact that there has been a similar feature on the xbox 360 for a very long time. Sony is keeping up with the compatition! Though I am glad they are doing it with this feature. If they also start introducing wii, mii style avatars like MS are planning to do, to the PS3 then I wont be amused.
    Ever heard of Home?

I'm sure the 'compatition' aspect of trophies to Achievements has merit but there's a lot more to it then that, an achievement-based system makes much sense this gen for far more reasons then just to 'keep up with the compatition' (lol).

In fact, I can guarantee you that regardless of what Microsoft did/has done we'd still be seeing trophies for the PSN. Trophies/achievements are a brilliant 'gimmick' to add to the immersion-experience of next-gen gaming as well as drive interest in older games. From a marketing/promotions standpoint, its the best possible move they could have made at present.

Check out the sales figures for SS:HD sometime and see the HUGE spike in downloads after 2.40 and the trophy patch, it speaks volumes to what Sony is aiming at, which is a hell of a lot more then 'keeping up with the compatition'.
    R.I.P. Tom Clancy.

May you have many Commies to wage war upon in Valhalla.

Super Elite
    I have always wanted some sort of achievement type, it makes it more fun and gives me a sense of goal that I would have to accomplish..

I might sound like im being thick but are the trophies on all games already

Apprentice
    for a sense of accomplishment. Its like working but you get no money. These devs need to stop being so damn lazy and patch the more popular games

Currently the trophy feature is worthless. (psn games dont count)

Because simply its just cool when you unlock one even though its only for one game its still good

That Band Is Awful
    PSN ID
    pasta_fire
    Just like everyone else I want trophies so I can go back to some old games that I havent played for awhile, start a new game, and acquire trophies. It's not fun realizing that you spent $60 on a game that just sits on your shelf and collects dust. Trophies are a great way to re-invent old games that you just dont play anymore.

Master Sage

I want trophies because they add tremendous replay value on games. Also, e-peen.

Cochran88
    Obviously Top Slacker doesnt have a 360, Trophy's(achievements) are addictive and add replay value.

Supreme Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by kalishnikov View Post
    In fact, I can guarantee you that regardless of what Microsoft did/has done we'd still be seeing trophies for the PSN.
    So what? You're saying without Microsoft introducing achievements onto the 360, Sony would have had the idea to bring in trophies anyway? That's a pretty big assumption.

Imo, Trophies were introduced to help balance the multiplatform software sales, if you have a PS3 and a 360 and want to get a game that is on both consoles, unless the 360 version was horrendiously flawed you would probably buy the 360 version for the achievements. Trophies on there own won't balance multiplatform sales though, there are more 360's sold than PS3's after all

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Slacker View Post

Yeah, it's for the go stroking (in this case it's the online ego that gets stroked.) You need to be able to showcase it to the world, not just the slobs you have over at your pad/hood/slab/flat/...

Why the hell do you think Trophies started in the first place?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver2008 View Post
    Only 2 games out now have the unified trophies, and no, you can't get them from beating your friends, because these are trophies overall. It's much like the top score on an old Arcade game, only it's like your added scores for EVERY game there... Sorta like that. Or, that's what it will be soon (and already is on the 360)

Forum Elder
    Its a reward for the effort you put in, and a show of skill. If not for bragging rights for self accomplishment.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowHawk View Post
    go back to youtube, we don't like your kind here.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Strudel View Post
    Its a reward for the effort you put in, and a show of skill. If not for bragging rights for self accomplishment.
    Exactly what he said

"Its better to keep your mouth shut and let everybody think you are an idiot. Than it is to open it and remove all doubt!!"

Thread Information