Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 ... LastLast
    Elite Sage
    Items Metal Gear Solid
    I didn't mind the subforums. In fact, I welcome the subforums back.
    You cannot mess with the greatness that is Lupe Fiasco
    PSN ID - WrathofAres
    Send me a friend request
    Now.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items New User Title
    no one really been decapitated all that needs to be done is add back the subsection to make it tidier, i dont see how people really need to even think about leaving

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    Coke isn't really that hardcore a drug.

Dedicated Member
    If those subforums, or forums don't return, my normal posting days here are history.
    www.freerice.com - 20 grains of rice donated per answer

Ultimate Veteran
    Items New User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaor View Post
    If those subforums, or forums don't return, my normal posting days here are history.
    i'll cry for you if it doesn't happen, promised

Veteran
    THis is what I said in another threadhttp://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=156626&page=2

It's not falling apart. The focus is now on the PS3.
    As I can remember there were more heated debates when the Xbox360 section had more focus groups.
    1stly It feels more boring now, because of the penalties like "gray areas as flame baits etc.etc."
    2ndly WHINERS, WHINERS, who think everything should go by the rules
    3thly people need to learn how to chill out, this is a forum not your mother or friend.

To much sudden changes and to often.
    Identity crisis!

"Marvel Universe" in 2012 after The FirstAvenger Movie
    (THQ)!

Dedicated Member
    *Dashes back*... Glad i got my name in the thread and it got noticed...

I'm going to do a start to finish post (and it could quite possibly sound very up itself, like it is now), and we'll see what, if any, respsonse i get. Please correct me if i completely misinterpret peoples opinions. For the convenience AJe and the forum staff, i'll do it in the format provided:

• What's good about them?

The changes that have been occuring recently have all happened at once, in a very short time scale, which has come as a shock to the PS3F community as a whole. You could liken it to moving house, everything has been building for the last couple of months like the sale of a house, and then the move happens in the space of a day. You generally know that the new house is a good change, but it takes time to warm to the change; and more so, houses are never perfect, you always have to correct some things yourself. This is similar to what has happened here, and i am personally glad AJe has given us a place to voice concerns. This is good.

The fact things are happening is good. There was a point about 6 months back where NOTHING was happening, the forum was gradually decaying, descending into an unorganized, uncontrolled, bloated, and restless community. This was no one's fault, but thankfully Seb realized his role could not be stretched and AJe was appointed forum admin. This is a good thing. The clearing up of the staff was a good thing (especially noted was the cleansing of all the old DS members).

Another good thing was the introduction of clear sub-forums (like in the general section). Working in a similar fashion as the familiar file and folder system, it was simple, easy, and kept everything still accessible. What was most important about this change was that it kept all the same content, even adding to it, in a constructive way.

• What's bad about them?

At this point i would like to follow my train of thought from the last positive point to a negative one; which will possibly bundle a whole load of issues together:

I guess the major subject point we have come across in this thread is erradication of the Xbox 360 section, and more broadly, the sub forums of the other, for all intensive purposes, competing consoles. The merger of 4 entirely different sub forums is a destructive and chaotic thing to do. Solely from an organizational stand point it is (for the lack of a better word) stupid, people cannot find what they are looking for; and more so, they cannot organize the place themselves because they are tossed in with everything else. If you expect people to tag a thread properly (look at the ban thread...) you are giving them negative conditions to do it under, let alone the fact that by destroying the sub forums, you are destroying the communities that would be commited enough to tag the threads in the first place.

As i have made briefly clear before, i regret and despair at the descision to combine the 360, Wii, PC and handhelds (excluding PSP). One of the things that made the PS3F community so unique was the shear diversity of opinion, and the way in which topics could be debated in multiple manners from multiple points of view. It does not take much to realise that was down the gradual migration of smaller communities into other communites, you began to see typical PS3 posters in the 360 section a little more, and vice versa. The Wii section was more important because, as well as being the average second console, it is the fastest growing platform, and that would eventually facilitate more and more people. Like wise, the PC sub forum had a core of active users, and that was useful, because lets face it, we are all using PC's, and to some extent game on them or through them.

These small communities made up PS3Forums. I understand that this is a predominantly Playstation orientated forum, and no one had a problem with that. Yes, there was some moaning about fanboys, and some extreme but limited cases of banning, but surely by essentially getting rid of all those small communities, we are becoming extreme fanboys ourselves? And is that not what we all want to stop? This overtly war like attitude towards one specific company. Playstation is a brand, PS3Forums is a name, but we are all gamers, we should be able to all co-exist to certain degrees, regardless of forum name. Besides, as Uncool said, this is what creates debate, and that's what will make a forum thrive.

This leads me onto my next point. There was no debate about these changes (forgive me if there was, i've been away working this last 3/4 weeks), they just kind of happened. This is bad. It makes the community feel as if it has no control over its own progression, more so, it feels like the people making the changes are above us. This has happened alot recently, the staff and the community do not mix so much. Back 2.5 years ago, people like The_One, Peanutbuttermunky, Morph and even recently like Uncool, mixed with the community. This was good because the community were intouch with the people in charge, and vice versa, the people in charge had some idea of what the community wanted/needed. I understand that with such a growing and large community, this is just not a possible as it once was, but that does not mean you do the hardline thing of action now, ask questions later. I personally do not think it is ok to destroy a small loyal community, and then ask "Oh, was that alright?" like in this thread.

Similarly, the power given to the mods and SMC is not clear. As it stands, there are no longer any clear rule sets, if anything, good 'ol british bureaucracy has lumbered in and complicated the rules to the nth degree, placing rules here, there and everywhere, but making none of them clear, and even more difficult to find now the sub forum has gone all minmalist.

I'll stop my argument now, and see if anyone agree's...

• What changes you would like made?
    • What improvements could be made?
    • What needs to be fixed?
    • What should be added?
    • What should be removed?

This is essentially all one question. Working up, nothing more should be removed. You have managed to reduce the Forum down to its skeleton.

In terms of addition, official community features should be added. This involves not only the introduction of a general clan gathering subforum, but also a big visible place for members to voice their opinions, and similarly, a single place for staff to interact in an unbiased and democratic environment about issues concerning the forum. I understand that currently this is the feedback sub forum, but this is not good enough, staff do not start threads, there is not easily identifiable way of getting a major issue (generally indicated by number of replies) out to the front of the forum. According to Dave, everything he does is by PM, and that is how everything seems to be done, yet this is limited and not open to the general community.

What needs to be fixed. The Multi-platform descussion.

Also, minor fixes include the quick edit function... Low battery, posting now...

... Sorry about that, the joys of running a 17" laptop on a battery. Where was i? Oh yes, other minor fixes besides the massive push to reinstate the multi-platform sub forums (to emphasise my point there) include fixing the quick edit button, and applying rep not to the person but the post, this would make it easier to understand rep, and would also help with quality posting and POTM.

Improvements and changes include making the rules clear, the powers of the user groups clear, and sticking to those rules with as few exceptions as possible. I suggest that any action taken against a member should be talked through with that member first, and that member can accept or state his/her case to the mod; this mod then presents it to staff present at the time. Going through an Admin takes time, and also relegates the power a mod should have to enforce.

In terms of actual rule changes, i initially suggest you group every rule together under one thread, and then discuss it, as to be honest, i don't really understand what is and isn't a rule anymore.

Other improvements include different visual skins for the forum, the different skins on playfire are creative and appreciated to no end, the variation adds character and flexibility.

• What could we do to help newer members?

Newer members, eh? That's a tough one, i suggest focus on your current community (and its declining loyalty is Rik is anything to go by) and then let the community be the focus of the forum. This should drive demmand. I guess what also would appeal is a visually enticing forum, increased sig sizes etc etc.

I think i shall end it there. All comments welcome, i don't mind defending myself .

P.S. On a side not AJe, can you put "?" at the end of each bullet point in your OP? Please.
    See top class photography from PS3F Members HERE!
    New signature hopefully coming soon so you don't have to look at decreasing text sizes...

Elite Sage

Put the subforums back for other types of games. Without them, this is just another fanboy cesspit.

The King Of Kings
    Quote Originally Posted by seebs View Post
    Put the subforums back for other types of games. Without them, this is just another fanboy cesspit.
    I disagree, I think it should be as is.

Super Elite

I didn't post there much but I really enjoyed reading the XBOX 360 and Wii forums. Sad to see them gone - it's not really the same with just the "other platforms" forum.
    PlayStation 3 60 GB owner

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    DynamicSun
    I think the Wii/Xbox 360/Retro etc. sections should return as they were for a couple of hours, and thanks for returning the post count, rep power, stars etc., but I hope to see the sub-sections return, so we won't lose more people as they're not satisfied with what it looks like right now, even if they still can discuss what they want!

Dedicated Member
    Glad to see post count back, i deleted my point from my looooong post, .
    New signature hopefully coming soon so you don't have to look at decreasing text sizes...

Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by IWAO View Post
    I think the Wii/Xbox 360/Retro etc. sections should return as they were for a couple of hours, and thanks for returning the post count, rep power, stars etc., but I hope to see the sub-sections return, so we won't lose more people as they're not satisfied with what it looks like right now, even if they still can discuss what they want!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegamingdwarf View Post
    Glad to see post count back, i deleted my point from my looooong post, .
    Yeah... I forgot to mention that I'm glad rep power and post count have been added back.

The King Of Kings
    Okay, post count and rep power is back. Where is quick edit?!

Dedicated Member
    I'm wondering why the Rules and Annoucements section was removed, it would be helpful to see what changes are being made and when, especially during this time where a lot of new things are happening.
    |42" HD Plasma 1080P|5.1 Surround Sound|60 GB PS3|
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

KILLZONED!!

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    DynamicSun
    Quote Originally Posted by TH3 GAM3 View Post
    Yeah and we subscribers wants our ability to delete, copy, open, lock and move our threads back again!

Ultimate Veteran
    Items New User Title
    yeah thats been gone for so long hombre, some have never heard of it

Super Elite

I second that... I miss the days when quick edit actually worked.

The King Of Kings
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousMali View Post
    yeah thats been gone for so long hombre, some have never heard of it
    Well, I want it back or I'm going to .

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Light View Post
    I'm wondering why the Rules and Annoucements section was removed, it would be helpful to see what changes are being made and when, especially during this time where a lot of new things are happening.
    Glad someone agree's with me ...

Quick edit will take longer to implement. Its a larger add-on and may require down time (i'm just guessing here).

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    DynamicSun
    Yeah Quick edit should also return plus also the "Quick Links" here, so I hope, that AJe/Seb will bring them back again!

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by seebs View Post
    I agree with you 100% That is definitley the direction that this forum is heading. I think the subforums should return as well.

The King Of Kings
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    I agree with you 100% That is definitley the direction that this forum is heading. I think the subforums should return as well.
    To me if you really want to talk about 360 or Wii. Go to Team Xbox or some Wii forum.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    To me if you really want to talk about 360 or Wii. Go to Team Xbox or some Wii forum.
    Yeah we already heard you state your opinion so I'm just stating mine. That type of hostile attitude is whats wrong with this forum. Maybe I like having a one stop site as a PS3/360/PSP owner instead of having to go all over the net to get everything due to being chased out because of intolerant people.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Seraphus-Y
    I'd really like it when things would get announced and stick to some changes for a longer period of time.

All of a sudden post-count and rep power are visible again, trophies is back in the PSN section instead of the games section....

Seriously, if you want to make the boards any better, please make announcements so people know things are going to change. The way things are changing now is hard to understand and actually starts to look messy imho.

Please plan a course of direction and stick to it... which is a suggestion, not a command.

Elite Sage
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2
    I have to agree with some of the others, if your going to have any type of multiplatform forum you may as well give the platforms subforums, just for general tidyness.

The Rules and Announcements section has to come back to keep us informed, I looked and I couldn't find anything from an admin stating the new changes and why they've been changed.

Could do with the gamesharing section being put back to 500 posts limit, I've just seen this, 3 posts total, (All 3 the same post) but asking to gameshare.

One more thing, I think we need to find suitable changes and stick to them ASAP, constant change is just going to further ruin the community and make more people leave.

Thread Information