Veteran

Apple wants to play

Apple Wants to Play

Another thing that will get in the way of the iPhone whacking Nintendo (OTC BB: NTDOY.PK) is the lack of buttons necessary to play most conventional games. The iPhone touch screen can only get you so far. The tilt-sensitive features are great for physics-based games, but that is just a small niche in gaming circles.
    The first wave of games for the iPhone generally consists of either physics-based arcade games or table games like poker and mah-jongg. That sure beats the old snake games in the early-generation Nokia (NYSE: NOK) handsets, but it’s not going to replace an industry.
    Nintendo and PSP-pimping Sony (NYSE: SNE) can rest easy, for now. We’re still far removed from the day when the iconic iPhone’s screen will be smeared by greasy, pudgy, pre-teen fingers pounding their way through a game.
    Source
    For me the biggest thing that is standing in the way of the iPhone becoming a player in the handheld market is Apple itself. If they want it to compete with Nintendo and Sony they need to market it as a gaming machine first and a phone second.They are just doing fine. Just look at their library. The games are not fully matured yet but they have one year to prove themself.

"Marvel Universe" in 2012 after The FirstAvenger Movie
    (THQ)!

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Harrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sventax View Post
    For me the biggest thing that is standing in the way of the iPhone becoming a player in the handheld market is Apple itself. If they want it to compete with Nintendo and Sony they need to market it as a gaming machine first and a phone second.They are just doing fine. Just look at their library. The games are not fully matured yet but they have one year to prove themself.
    I agree. They are lacking a crucial component which is adequate controls for a broad amount of genres. I would say control is what holds most phone games back, so as long as they are phones first they will never contend.

I am curious to know what would happen if they gave it a serious shot by making a true handheld game system.

The Game. You lost it.
    I have had a jailbroken touch for about seven months now, and I have to say that games aren't very fun on the iPhone or touch. With no solid button pressing, feedback isn't there.

Thread Information