Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Member

73% console developers are making titles for Xbox 360:

- Game Developer Research has conducted a survey with game developers in North America, and the latest results show that 73% console developers are making titles for Xbox 360:

All Developers:

70% - PC/Mac
    43% - Consoles
    28% - Web platforms
    16% - Handhelds
    Console Developers:

73% - Xbox 360
    58% - PlayStation 3
    42% - Wii
    15% - PlayStation 2
    Handheld Developers:

75% - Nintendo DS
    45% - PSP

Oh well..58% isn't all bad. 50% of that is probally all Sony . :/

Source

Superior Member
    Still it's annoying how dev's complain about the 'difficulties' of developing for the PS3 yet they're too busy with Xbox360. Ah well, at least we have 58%. I'd rather have 58% of very good games, than 73% medicore games and the odd great game.

Ancient
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Game Developer Research has conducted a survey with game developers in North America, and the latest results show that 73% console developers are making titles for Xbox 360:
    Lucky NA only account for about 25% of the games industry as far as devs go

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Veteran
    Well, my 2 cents:

- Very surprised that ps3 is actually higher than the wii
    - Don't forget that there are also crosses between categories, the 15% difference is a am sure just games that are being developped for the pc too. Those games are not targeted for the console market but they do a port nonetheless b/c the 360 is basically a computer.

gta0004
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulayman View Post
    Well, my 2 cents:

- Don't forget that there are also crosses between categories, the 15% difference is a am sure just games that are being developped for the pc too. Those games are not targeted for the console market but they do a port nonetheless b/c the 360 is basically a computer.
    Really? A system which doesn't have a we browser is a computer?

Dedicated Member
    I'm curious to know how many of those developers are making only Xbox Live games. I'm sure the number is high. Development costs are quite low for those games and the profit margins are probably much better than a major release. The risk vs. reward is attractive to smaller studios.

As PSN grows I'm sure we'll see more downloadable games released from virgin studios breaking into the PS3 arena.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by gta0004 View Post
    Really? A system which doesn't have a we browser is a computer?
    I was referring to how all those 3rd party developpers are saying how easy it is to develop on the 360 due to its similarity to computer code. As for web browser functionality, well quite frankly I didn't even know it wasn't supported on the xbox 360, kind of strange.

Sublimely Static
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Lucky NA only account for about 25% of the games industry as far as devs go
    Not only that but there is a simple reason for this. The build of the hardware of the original xbox and the 360 are so at ease to PC developers that many have donned the hat of console dev to varying degrees of success.

Case in point bioware. The makers of baldurs gate and neverwinter nights made the hop to console. Their claim to fame was kotor. Fun game but undeniably they type of western rpg you would have typically found on the PC. There used to be a defining line about what style of gaming you could find on the PC and what you can find on the console. That has erased and brought over many PC gamer fanatics with them. The large sales that the original xbox and the 360 has seen are primarily made up of former PC gamers without a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudie View Post
    Oh well..58% isn't all bad. 50% of that is probally all Sony . :/

Source
    Actually.... no. Ther is about 7 Sony studios in NA.

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    Where are the PS2 devs going after PS2 games stop being made.... I'm guessing PS3. 58%+15%= 73% Hmph... that matches the 360's %. This article means absolutely nothing. NULL.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unicron7 View Post
    Where are the PS2 devs going after PS2 games stop being made.... I'm guessing PS3. 58%+15%= 73% Hmph... that matches the 360's %. This article means absolutely nothing. NULL.
    Not really. The differance between developing for a PS2 and a PS3 is a big.
    *Basically lazy developers = xbox 360. Developers willing to get their arse into gear = PS3.

*My personal opinion, no need for anyone to cry about it

Forum Elder
    this was posted a week ago

http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=159381

and why is a thread titled "73% console developers are making titles for Xbox 360" in the PS3 section?

and lol at the spin on that unicorn

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Well, as games take awhile to make, those developers probably signed some type of paper, so these games will probably be either timed or 360 exclusive. Once that is done they may focus on PS3, the percentage seems pretty much right. Although the percentage of the crap games are more like 10% crapola, now you have.

63% xbox360
    58% PS3

but yea 73% xbox and 58 percent PS3 seems pretty damn close. expect that to change by next year though.

Typo, I meant to say, it seems pretty damn close.
    PSN ID: Intense_Peanut

yh but who's making more quality game's

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    Well, as games take awhile to make, those developers probably signed some type of paper, so these games will probably be either timed or 360 exclusive. Once that is done they may focus on PS3, the percentage seems pretty much right. Although the percentage of the crap games are more like 10% crapola, now you have.

63% xbox360
    58% PS3

but yea 73% xbox and 58 percent PS3 doesn't seem pretty damn close. expect that to change by next year though.
    LOL!

so wait, let me get this straight. of all the developers who make games on the 360, 14% (thats 10/73 for those counting) make crap games, but every single ps3 developer makes nothing but good games?

i feel like im just being a broken record and defending the 360 at every turn today, but damn people, show a little equality....

Bazookajoe_83
    Wierd since ps3 has most exclusive, atleast from what was said at e3..

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    nah didn't mean to make it sound like that, but I guess it did. no matter though, it's just my opinion on it, I only have a few games on the Xbox360 that I actually enjoy playing. But a lot of them I wont even bother. but in there sense on it, while looking at other gamers throughout the world, it seems pretty damn accurate for the percentages.
    PSN ID: Intense_Peanut

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulayman
    Yeah, that is a bit surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by webshark View Post
    Darn the magic box and their old news. >.<

Quote Originally Posted by webshark;3219789and why is a thread titled [SIZE=2
    "73% console developers are making titles for Xbox 360" in the PS3 section?
    Good question.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazookajoe_83 View Post
    Wierd since ps3 has most exclusive, atleast from what was said at e3..
    i think they were saying that they have the most upcoming exclusives.

there was a thread here about a week ago that had a story about how sony actually has the least amount of exclusives, had all sorts of pretty graphs and such.....but for whatever reason, the story has been edited out of the OP and there are no links anymore....
    http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread....ighlight=chart

anyways, the gist of it was that almost every game in the 360 for a full year was 'exclusive' as well as almost every title on XBLA, then you have the wii and all its SD games that devs arent going to release for the HD systems.

saying they have the 'most' is either PR spin, or a carefully chosen window of 'most upcoming'

Super Elite

The title is mis-leading, in my opinion. It should be '73% of North American developers are making titles for Xbox 360'..

Anyway, i'm not really surprised to be honest. But I'm pretty sure that most developers are European / Asian.
    PSN ID = samuraiUNITED and me if you want

TwentyThree
    im not surprised ... and i dont see the problem.
    PS3 has more tittles that people are looking forward to than any other console..

PS3
    LBP
    Socom:Confrontation
    Killzone2
    Resistance2
    MAG
    FFXIII
    Bioshock
    Farcry2

Fable2
    Gears2
    Left 4 dead
    FFXIII
    Farcry2

see there could be only 28% games being developed for the PS3 but they are quality games not just a third party developer trying to make a quick buck off a crappy game cough EA cough cough..

Forum Elder
    *sheds a tear for the Multiplat section*

i posted this exact story there a week ago, and no one posted in it....

Quote Originally Posted by NoStop View Post
    PS3 has more tittles that people are looking forward to than any other console..

PS3
    LBP
    Killzone2
    Resistance2
    MAG
    FFXIII
    Bioshock
    Farcry2

Fable2
    Gears2
    Left 4 dead
    FFXIII
    Farcry2

see there could be only 28% games being developed for the PS3 but they are quality games not just a third party developer trying to make a quick buck off a crappy game cough EA cough cough..
    first: yay list wars!

second: are you sure you have the credentials to make a claim like that in the bold? not only did you just generalize every single gamer in the world, but then you decided what they were interested in.

oh, and lol i just noticed you listed bioshock for the ps3 and not the 360....

Superior Member

second: are you sure you have the credentials to make a claim like that in the bold? not only did you just generalize every single gamer in the world, but then you decided what they were interested in.

It appears he was talking about upcoming games. BioShock is already out on 360. It's coming to PS3 with new content. And generalizations are fine for this type of discussion, as it is a known fact that some games are simply more popular/hyped than others, and therefore have a bigger impact on console sales than others.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Skinnyjr
    Wait till those 15% PS2 dev move to PS3!!!!

TwentyThree

yeah well the 360 already had Bioshock along time ago... c'mon who is looking forward to the 360 version right now???

i guess your right about the bold parts... i probably said it cause those are the games that "I" am looking forward to ... just thought that most people felt the same here in the forums.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStop View Post

PS3
    LBP
    Killzone2
    Resistance2
    MAG
    FFXIII
    Bioshock
    Farcry2

Fable2
    Gears2
    Left 4 dead
    FFXIII
    Farcry2

null list

-nobody knows anything for MAG except for 256 players, it probably wont even come out til early 2010
    - cant believe you listed Bioshock when the 360 got it a year ago, no more hype left for that
    -you dont even list all of the 360 titles but milk the ps3 list (you missed Halo Wars, Alan Wake, fallout for both consoles, and some others im pretty sure i missed)

lets try try not to make a war out of this though and stick to topic, you are right about one thing though, EA sucks major knickers

EDIT: anyone notice, none of the percentages equal to 100%?

so out of 131% of games, the xbox 360 is 73% and the ps3 is 58%?
    If It Ain't Broke, I'll Fix It Till It Is.

Thread Information