Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

What file system does the ps3 use? (Don't say FAT32)

I'm pretty sure its not FAT32 because most of the HD videos on the video store are well over 4GB. Maybe its some kind of proprietary file system?

edit:

Let me rephrase this.

It is impossible for the PS3 file system to be FAT32 because in FAT32, no single file can be more than 4GB. I just downloaded Harold and Kumar: Escape From Guantanamo Bay and it it 5910MB (5.9GB). So it can't be FAT32. Does anyone know what it is?

Master Guru
    Items User name style
    The PS3 uses FAT32, it doesn't use NTFS

Huge thanks to my awesome friend Finalreaper for the sig!!

Apprentice
    Yeah I'm pretty sure it's FAT32, or so I've heard.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by hypersphere View Post
    I'm pretty sure its not fat32 because most of the HD videos on the video store are well over 4GB. Maybe its some kind of proprietary file system?
    Its FAT32, what vidoes are you downloading that are over 4gb?

"Its better to keep your mouth shut and let everybody think you are an idiot. Than it is to open it and remove all doubt!!"

Elite Member
    I believe the FS is also keyed to a particular system, because you can't just throw one PS3 harddrive in another.

Apprentice

The resolution an HD video has to be at to be true hd is very high, comparable length videos online are usually much smaller which results in that size discrepancy.

File system wouldn't result in that big of a difference unless it was a totally inefficient file system.

It's a custom filesystem.

Not sure exactly what it's called, but it's either a modified fat32 or ext3.

Veteran
    You need to distinguish between internal and external. It only recognizes FAT32 through the USB ports. It recognizes Joliet and UDF through the Blu-ray drive. The internal filesystem is speculated to be some type of UDF although it may be customized but Sony is never going to tell you exactly what it is.

Push my Phantastic button
    PSN ID
    PHANTASMN707
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    You need to distinguish between internal and external. It only recognizes FAT32 through the USB ports. It recognizes Joliet and UDF through the Blu-ray drive. The internal filesystem is speculated to be some type of UDF although it may be customized but Sony is never going to tell you exactly what it is.
    Ding ding ding! We have a winner. Everyone saying FAT32 is only half correct. The external drives can only be recognized if they are formatted in FAT32, but no one knows for sure what the internal drives use.

That 4GB file size limit for movies on the external HDD comes from FAT32, in case anyone was wondering.

Master Poster
    Yeah, it can't be FAT32, because i couldn't mount it... (which results in losing my files D: )
    Must be some custom thing.

But it was recognized as a partition, so it must be similar to something else.

And it is also dynamically resized from what i can tell.
    I have no signature.
    No, really, i don't. You're just imagining this.

audioboxer217
    I believe the PS3's native file system is ExFAT (Extended File Allocation Table) which is a newer version of FAT32, but don't quote me on that. I'll have to dig around to verify that and get you guys some links.

Elite Guru
    Most everything Sony does has a proprietary slant to it, it could be based on Fat32 but altered for their own purposes or a completely different one and they use Fat32 for outward compatability with other devices...

But you know something? There has to be a concession somewhere otherwise how can we be using the back up utility that copies an image of a 60gb or 80gb drive to a fat32 harddrive in another to be reinstalled on an upgraded system?

audioboxer217
    Well after some quick digging around I found that it is not ExFAT since apparently only Windows support this right now. Sorry guys, guess we're back to "some Sony proprietary FS"

Master Poster
    I googled around there, and quite a few people are saying that it is just an encrypted FAT32.

Makes sense that it showed in the drive manager now.
    I have no signature.

PSN ID
    PHANTASMN707
    I have a question then, wouldn't you be able to find this out from the Linux side?

audioboxer217
    Sony says that it is FAT32. Call the Sony helpdesk, they will tell you. Now whether that is just encrypted or they made some changes to the FS, I don't know.

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmn View Post
    I have a question then, wouldn't you be able to find this out from the Linux side?

(from googling) People also said that the hypervisor will prevent reading the GameOS partition.

Not sure if it is true myself, but it would make sense since they encrypted it in the first place.
    I have no signature.

PSN ID
    PHANTASMN707
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunnter View Post
    (from googling) People also said that the hypervisor will prevent reading the GameOS partition.

Not sure if it is true myself, but it would make sense since they encrypted it in the first place.
    Oh yea, I forgot about not being able to read on the other side. I was thinking that, since it's making another partition when you re-format the disk, both partitions would be formatted the same. However, that's not necessarily true.

One thing is for sure though, it definitely isn't the standard, run of the mill, everyday FAT32. If it is, then they are doing some special file management to keep everything in chunks smaller than 4GBs (which I highly doubt).

EDIT: Wouldn't this info be in the manual? Since we can, you know, change our hard drives?

Apprentice
    It cant be fat32. Because you can copy mpeg4s that are larger than 4gb onto the ps3 by burning them to a dvd.

Master Guru
    Items User name style
    If you try to install another hard drive into the PS3, it needs to be formatted as FAT32 or it won't work

Connectivity

Further information: PlayStation 3 AV Cables The PS3 supports numerous SDTV and HDTV resolutions (from 480i / 576i up to 1080p) and connectivity options (such as HDMI 1.3a and component video).[3][4] In terms of audio, the PS3 supports a number of formats, including 7.1 digital audio, Dolby TrueHD, and others; audio output is possible over stereo RCA cables (analog), optical digital cables, or HDMI. For the optical disc drive, a wide variety of DVD and CD formats are supported, as well as Blu-ray Discs. A 20, 40, 60, or 80GB 2.5" SATA 150 hard disk is pre-installed. In the 60 GB and 80 GB configurations, flash memory can also be used either Memory Sticks, CompactFlash cards, or SD/MMC cards. All models support USB memory devices; flash drives and external hard drives are both automatically recognized. However, they must be formatted with the FAT32 file system the PS3 does not support the Microsoft-developed NTFS file system that is the standard in the Windows NT family.[5] For communication, the system sports four USB 2.0 ports at the front on the 20 & 60 GB models as well as the NTSC 80GB model, but the 40GB & 80GB PAL models only have 2 USB ports. One Gigabit Ethernet port, Bluetooth 2.0 support, and built-in Wi-Fi are available on the 40, 60 and 80 GB versions.
    Source

If you don't believe us call Sony on Tuesday

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Shin Asura View Post
    If you try to install another hard drive into the PS3, it needs to be formatted as FAT32 or it won't work

Source

If you don't believe us call Sony on Tuesday

were talking about the internal hard drive you numb nut. did you even read the thread? or the original post for that matter?

Master Guru
    Items User name style
    If you replace the original hard drive with another it's the same thing

Linux uses ext3 on the PS3

livecd / # mkfs.ext3 -j /dev/sda1

It must be the way the hard drive gets formatted, when I tried ext3 in windows it didn't work, i had to use FAT32 on an XP machine

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Shin Asura View Post
    If you replace the original hard drive with another it's the same thing

Linux uses ext3 on the PS3

livecd / # mkfs.ext3 -j /dev/sda1

It must be the way the hard drive gets formatted, when I tried ext3 in windows it didn't work, i had to use FAT32 on an XP machine
    if you replace the internal hard drive the new one doesnt need to even be formatted at all and it doesnt matter what its formatted. it gets reformatted to some unknown and encrypted file system when you first turn it on after the new drive is inserted/installed.

Veteran
    I don't know why this keeps coming up over and over and over. The external drives (hard disk or thumb drive) through the USB are only recognizable if they are FAT32 because that is what Sony wants. They don't want you using a NTFS or ext3 or some other filesystem for the external drive. They could easily update the firmware to allow for practically any filesystem on the USB would be recognized -- but they don't want you to do that.

Exactly what filesystem the internal drive isn't known right now -- because Sony does not want you to know what it is. If you know what filesystem it is, then that is the first step to cracking the PS3. But it isn't FAT32 or NTFS or ext3, if anything, it is a custom UDF. As for whatever filesystem it is, there does not seem to be any limit to the size of a single file that can be put on it. I have several 20GB and one 37GB on the internal drive, and those are single files.

Master Guru
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    I don't know why this keeps coming up over and over and over. The external drives (hard disk or thumb drive) through the USB are only recognizable if they are FAT32 because that is what Sony wants. They don't want you using a NTFS or ext3 or some other filesystem for the external drive. They could easily update the firmware to allow for practically any filesystem on the USB would be recognized -- but they don't want you to do that.

Exactly what filesystem the internal drive isn't known right now -- because Sony does not want you to know what it is. If you know what filesystem it is, then that is the first step to cracking the PS3. But it isn't FAT32 or NTFS or ext3, if anything, it is a custom UDF. As for whatever filesystem it is, there does not seem to be any limit to the size of a single file that can be put on it. I have several 20GB and one 37GB on the internal drive, and those are single files.
    I thought Universal Disc Format was just used for disc type media such as Blu-ray DVD and CDR

Thread Information