Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Superior Member
    I agree that Blu-ray will be around for a long time. Hell, I personally don't believe that all media would be reduced to digital download at any point in time, yet alone anytime soon.

i have to agree with the majority of comments above and say that i do always prefer to have a tangible "real" copy just personal preference, i like something i can grasp for my money

Superior Member
    Id agree w/this article of we had the same infrastructure as Japan but since we dont, Bluray should be around for a while. Japan can DL an entire movie in less than 4min!!! The same movie in the US would take a couple hours.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    I hate these analists so much! Which console is the only one on the market to have a HDD in every unit!? The freakin PS3! It's not ironic if DD does take over the need for BD, but the fact of the matter is either way SONY has all there future proofing needs covered!

These losers are just trying to paint mr. doom and miss gloom all over the PS3 and they fail on the highest level.
    Good point. Microsoft has been so much talk about DD, but Sony is actually taking the steps to bring it in to reality. The video service is up as well as full downloadable PSP games. Soon, I hear Burnout Paradise will be available for full download as well.

Unfortunately, these journalists are trying to make themselves sound pro-MS and anti-Sony while they are supporting a concept that Sony has been supporting for a while.

Power Member
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The only real consumers you see spouting for digital downloads are the HD-DVD fanboys still pi55ed the choose the wrong format. Point of the matter is that A LOT of people wont buy digital if they can have the product in hand.

I Think it will take much longer than that, because EVERYONE needs to be able to download the movies in order for it to work. there are still lots of people who do not have high speed internet, they all go to the video store and pick up the movies they want. i dont think that will change a hell of a lot in 5 years. and by then there will be ps4, or whatever. its not going to effect the ps3 anyway.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by eppo View Post
    I Think it will take much longer than that, because EVERYONE needs to be able to download the movies in order for it to work. there are still lots of people who do not have high speed internet, they all go to the video store and pick up the movies they want. i dont think that will change a hell of a lot in 5 years. and by then there will be ps4, or whatever. its not going to effect the ps3 anyway.
    But the thing is.. If you have high speed internet why would you suddenly start paying for something your probably already getting for free.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by anubis View Post
    Blu-Ray is here to stay. I don't think that downloads will replace disc media for a while. Too many things can go wrong (i.e. Hard drive break all data lost).
    The same words were spoken about VHS
    Then again for Laser disc
    I imagine even though DVD is still going strong (in it's death throws) it was touted as the format to end all format's

Sorry, what were you saying again?

Master Guru
    Of course Blu-ray won't last forever.... geez. That's like saying DVD will be around for another 30 years or something. Anyways, digital downloads won't be the norm for sometime because of a few reasons:

1. Internet Service providers are starting to cap the bandwidth for the user.
    2. Internet speeds are nowhere nears as fast as they need to be for digital downloads.
    3. If your hard drive fails you either have to have a back up of everything or spend the time re-downloading everything.

I see Blu-ray lasting for a while, probably the same time as DVD. However, digital downloads won't be the norm for sometime.
    Mac Mini 2.3GHz i5, 500GB HD, 8GB Ram; 16GB iPhone 5; 16GB iPad mini

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcloud View Post
    Blu-Rays will stay.

I'm sure I've said this in over threads liek these.

Physical media will always be the primary distribution method. If you're gonna buy a movie, most people would want that in their hands.

Digital downloads as an alternative? YES.
    Digital downloads as an standard? Not gonna fly.
    I would tend to agree. Digital downloads are and will be much more suited to the rental market than the ownership market for movies. Obviously, for a more niche market like games, digital downlaods are better suited for the ownership market than they are for movies. Most people have many more movies than they do video games, so hard drive space would be less of an issue with games. But even in that market, copyright protection will continue to be a concern for game developers.

All in all, let's wait until digital downloads at least dominate the rental market before we start talking about them replacing optical discs. But of course, Blu-ray won't last forever -- just like no storage medium lasts forever.

The King Of Kings
    After see how all these internet providers are putting a cap on bandwidth. This comment is really funny. Make it even worst, Time Warner says their putting a cap on people's bandwidth because too many people are playing games online.

Elite Member
    High speed is still too expensive and isnt available everywhere. BD is here to stay for pretty long time. Most DSL still tops out at 3MB, maybe 6. That isnt even close to enough speed for what they are talking about. As it is the 720P content you can download from the PSN takes an hour. The movie studios will lose a ton of money from people that cant afford high speed or dont even have access to it. I think the TV manufacturers will have there TVs ready for digital distribution in the next five years, but BD will still be here.

Apprentice
    Im tired of hearing about digital downloads. Digital downloads suck right now and unless they make some serious progress with download speeds, 1080p downloads and downloadable special features really soon, blu is going to be here for a while.
    http://forums.finalfantasyvii.info/index.php
    Click the link above and sign up for the new FF7 forums run by our very own AaronSOLDIER.

The King Of Kings
    I wouldn't like to keep a HDD and make sure nothing happens to it or I'll lose everything. I prefer the disc.

Forum Sage
    digital download will take on as fast as blu ray takes on. If you ask me! people are already downloading allot of hd media. so give it 4 years for allot of people to have blu ray, and in that 4 years allot of people will be downloading their media!

thats the stance im takin
    WII FRIEND CODE = 5509 0447 7406 7959

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasimpse View Post
    digital download will take on as fast as blu ray takes on. If you ask me! people are already downloading allot of hd media. so give it 4 years for allot of people to have blu ray, and in that 4 years allot of people will be downloading their media!

thats the stance im takin
    It might be the stance you are taking - but for every HD download I can guarantee there are at least 100 BD discs purchased. That will be a conservative number.

Blu ray is about 7% of the film buying market. Digital downloads is less than 1% of the high definition market, and does not register on film buying as a whole.

NO, seriously.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mcav View Post
    It might be the stance you are taking - but for every HD download I can guarantee there are at least 100 BD discs purchased. That will be a conservative number.

Blu ray is about 7% of the film buying market. Digital downloads is less than 1% of the high definition market, and does not register on film buying as a whole.

NO, seriously.
    DOn't blame him the guy possibly live in US.
    Where they don't need to access any server outside of their country.

Panasonic TH-42PY800AZ, Onkyo TX-SR606 (black) , Polk RTi6
    PS3 60GB (JP) , 360 Pre 20GB (JP)

Elite Guru
    Yeah he might, but even in the US there is not the demand, bandwidth or capacity to provide everyone with high definition on demand or downloads in a reasonable time.

The US are at the very back end of the queue when it comes to embracing new technology (Yes people on this forum, a TINY minority are not... I know). Regardless of what may be available, people are simply not open to the idea of owning a licence for a product instead of a disc. It is just natural human behaviour.

DLC

By the time DLC becomes widely available, Blu-Ray should be in more of a position to be price competitive with the DLC. I remember when DVD was first released and you were paying 30.00 for a film, you can now pick up the latest DVD movies for 5.00 or less.

It seems inevitable that Blu-Ray will go the same way, the other issue that you may come across with DLC is DRM (Digital Rights Management), this is something that you dont get with Blu-Ray unless you are trying to copy the disc. DLC without DRM is obviously open to much abuse and therefore difficult to implement.

I conclude that Blu-Ray is highly unlikely to be short lived, particularly at the expense of DLC. I predict the only product that could knock Blu-Ray off its current perch, would be a larger disc, which I might add would have to be significantly larger to justify a mass change over.

:2gun:
    [SIGPIC]
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    [/SIGPIC]

Soldier 95B
    Actually, the ISPs in my area have been removing caps, and offering higher speeds as well. I suspect the future will be DLC, and not this physical media.

Elite Guru
    Yes in around 10 years, High Definition Digital Download might be realistic.

But this will not guarantee it's success, seeing as MOST PEOPLE (Please not, most people, so don't count yourself as being "most people") are not remotely interested in giving up their physical collection for owning media on a hard drive or worse still, owning the right to stream it off a remote server.

Master Poster

it will definitely replace DVD, and as far as digital downloads, I wont be participating in it

I hate waiting for it to download, and a file that is 1-3gigs+ takes a bit

people are going to go to the store to purchase it on a media format

PSN ID/Live GT: Evoking1230

Thread Information