Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    AkumaMax

PS3 wifi limited MBPS??

I was just wondering if Sony had put a limit on the wifi on the PS3? The reason I ask is that I have about a 6mbps cable modem with Linksys Wireless N router and when I got to download a game at the PS store it only gets 1mbps. Has anyone else seen something similar. Maybe I need to configure my router to send out more or something.

Dedicated Member
    the ps3 doesnt have any wifi limit other than its hardware limit. the ps3 only has B/G wifi hardware, it wont take advantage of your wireless-N speeds (though 6 mbps does determine its average speed)
    If It Ain't Broke, I'll Fix It Till It Is.

Elite Guru
    Wireless N only improves the speed of your local area network (and range). I.E The speed data travels around the devices attached to the router in your home. For example, my PS3 is hooked up to my router via LAN cable and is connected at 100 megabits per second. My desktop PC is connected via a wireless N adapter and is connected at an average of 65 megabits per second. The playstation 3 has wireless G wifi which can operate at up to 56 megabits per second, but in reality is usually less, but is still going to be faster than your internet connection.

My actual internet connection is a decent 8 megabits per second. My Playstation store downloads regularly max this out by downloading almost 1 megabyte per second.

I'm hoping you understand this part, but for clarity here it is anyway.

1 byte = 8 bits
    1 megabyte = 8 megabits

AzureForge
    I have a 120mbps connection which pretty much outperforms my NIC but still I get crappy speeds.

Damn the routing from my isp to PSN!

Apprentice
    to capitalise on what mcav said for the original poster

ps3 wifi is b/g, g=56mb/s which is 7MB/s,

are you getting 1MB or 1mb

MB = megabytes
    mb = megabits (1MB=8mb),

you probably dont buy MB from your isp

i have something similar to your setup AkumaMax, i have a cable modem which supports 20mb and an apple wirless n router,

how are you measuring the speed from the psn?

, sorry if i seem a little confused, its just your title has MBPS and the post say mbps

So i says "Supercollider?....I just met her!"

Quote Originally Posted by AzureForge View Post
    I have a 120mbps connection which pretty much outperforms my NIC but still I get crappy speeds.

Damn the routing from my isp to PSN!
    Azure your internet connection is not faster than you NIC.... you NIC is WAY FASTER than your internet connection... if what you wrote is correct.

120 mbps = 15 MB/s (ie. 120/8 = 15)

Your Nic is 100 MB/s... about 6 to 7 times faster than your internet conneti

Sincerely,
    Kelemit

Elite Member
    I have had wirless N for over a year now. The router and laptop both use it so that;s fine. But annoyingly, if you connect PS3(G) at the same time as my laptop(N), then the whole router will work at G.

This only just reaches my PS3 with a decent speed. So when i use my psp(B) to do remote play, then the router runs at B, unable to connect to my PS3 from that distance.

Any suggestions other than using my old N router just for the psp

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by nickjd331 View Post
    I have had wirless N for over a year now. The router and laptop both use it so that;s fine. But annoyingly, if you connect PS3(G) at the same time as my laptop(N), then the whole router will work at G.

This only just reaches my PS3 with a decent speed. So when i use my psp(B) to do remote play, then the router runs at B, unable to connect to my PS3 from that distance.

Any suggestions other than using my old N router just for the psp
    hey, only things i can think of quickly are wire the ps3 or get another router and create another network, im sure a b router would be pretty cheap now

So i says "Supercollider?....I just met her!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kelemit View Post
    Azure your internet connection is not faster than you NIC.... you NIC is WAY FASTER than your internet connection... if what you wrote is correct.

Actually most desktop NICs are 10/100mbps (megabits/s). some newer pc's are coming with 1000/100/10mbps (or gig-e or gigabit)
    I ride submarines...

Veteran
    Wifi connections can vary a lot, often more than the variability of the platform hardware. It depends on how far the radio signal has to travel (it is actually microwave frequency and less penetrating than RF band), how many solid objects it has to go through, whether it is line of sight, if there are other interfering sources, the router.I had a Belkin g router and found the Internet speed was cut in half over the wireless versus one of the wired ports through a lot of experimenting. I got a Linksys later that proved it was the Belkin router doing that but I have dumped Wifi completely since then. Also, the PS3 wifi isn't the greatest. Look at your router and there is one or two antennas. They don't look big but if you calculate the lambda of the frequency, it is a multiple of the wavelength. Now, look at the PS3, no antenna. There is an internal one but it is probably almost a sure thing it is a coil type which have a lot less gain than a dipole. You want to try to get the PS3, or the router, one or the other, in a virtually straight line with each other, imagine a virtual line of sight path. Look at how many walls the signal is going through. Lead pipe, mirrors and house wiring act as Faraday cages.

The other thing is run the speed test at this site on your PC and PS3, trying to use the same destination for repeatability of testing.

http://www.speedtest.net

The PC result is your baseline. The PS3 will have a lower speed. Then try moving things. The easiest is if you can stretch your router a little closer to the PS3, just a few feet will help, and see if that increases the speed. The easier thing to do is forget the Wifi and go with powerline networking for a wired connection.

Dedicated Member
    Can you buy a stronger router to get a stronger signal for faster Downloads wirelessly? i mean my PS3 has never given me troubles, i get a little lag in COD4 sometimes but then again WHO DOESN'T!? the pc i'm building soon will be in the room with my Belkin G router but will be wired not wireless. so DLing stuff won't be an issue anymore but i'm curious if there are a difference in DL speeds with different wireless routers.

i seen Bligmerk say the Linksys was better than the Belkin G router and the Belkin was hindering performance. care to elaborate?
    120gb Slim - 46" Sony Bravia - 70 Blu's - 7 games
    Denon 1610 - JBL SCenter - JBL S38s - Polk PSW110 - Polk Ti50's
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Join the Gun Owners Club

Apprentice

If they are new(ish) routers, the model/brand should not matter very much. Most cases, the speeds that the router can accomplish are much faster then your ISP speeds.

Dedicated Member
    my ISP is Brighthouse it is 15mb/s atleast thats what i'm paying for haha. and DL speeds seem damn slow to me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Join the Gun Owners Club

I have a 12mb connection but download at about 1.5mb, I think you will find that you're connection that your ISP provider states you will get is entirely different... Go on www.speedtest.com on you're PC and see you're actual download and upload speed...

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by P3nn View Post
    I have a 12mb connection but download at about 1.5mb, I think you will find that you're connection that your ISP provider states you will get is entirely different... Go on www.speedtest.com on you're PC and see you're actual download and upload speed...
    You are confusing MegaBITS and megaBYTES.
    Your ISP advertises 12 megaBITS.
    You are downloading at 1.5MegaBYTES

That is exactly what they advertised.

Superior Member
    As people have said your wireless bandwidth is almost always a lot more than your internet bandwidth. PS3's max is 56 mb/s which is plenty more than your 6mbps internet connection.

The reason why why don't achieve these speeds is because PSN's bandwidth is limited by their servers and their internet connections. In order for you to do better Sony would have to upgrade their own servers and internet connections. Of course this is probably impossible. Think of it this way...say there are 100,000 people trying to dl something at 6 mpbs. That means Sony basically has to have an upload of 600,000 mpbs! That's way more than any internet connection I've heard of. This is why you shouldn't expect to see those numbers any time soon. If anything your download bandwidth will go down as more people buy ps3s.

Apprentice

I find the speeds perfectly acceptable personally. Its not crawling, its steady, just not maxing the connection.
    Impatient people...

Elite Guru
    I just want to say again that I regularly get a download rate of very close to 1 megabyte per second from PSN using my DSL MAX 8 megabit per second connection. The absolute top speed of my connection is 8 megabits per second. I live very close to the exchange and I get as fast as you can get without living on the exchange. The maximum in megabytes per second my internet connection will give me is 1 megabyte per second which is in fact 8 megabits per second.

My PS3 almost always maxes out my internet connection at very very close to 1 megabyte per second.

Also

his of it this way...say there are 100,000 people trying to dl something at 6 mpbs. That means Sony basically has to have an upload of 600,000 mpbs! That's way more than any internet connection I've heard of.
    Let me assure you that the bandwidth on the PSN will be many, many, many gigabits per second, if not terrabits per second. It won't use just one connection, but many, many commercial optical fiber network connections.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by mcav View Post
    I just want to say again that I regularly get a download rate of very close to 1 megabyte per second from PSN using my DSL MAX 8 megabit per second connection. The absolute top speed of my connection is 8 megabits per second. I live very close to the exchange and I get as fast as you can get without living on the exchange. The maximum in megabytes per second my internet connection will give me is 1 megabyte per second which is in fact 8 megabits per second.

My PS3 almost always maxes out my internet connection at very very close to 1 megabyte per second.

Also

Let me assure you that the bandwidth on the PSN will be many, many, many gigabits per second, if not terrabits per second. It won't use just one connection, but many, many commercial optical fiber network connections.
    I think it has been said before that poor routing to PSN is to blame, not sony, for slower speeds then expected during non-peak hours. Best option is to call your ISP if your having incredibly slow speeds, they can check the routes and submit a request to have it checked.

Apprentice
    Now we need more discussions like this on the forum. Like it use to be man.

Dedicated Member
    i wasn't referring to my PS3's DL speed. its fine. i don't expect that to be fast. i know its on sony's end. i mean just to my laptop from the wireless router it just seems slow. Friends are DLing movies in an hr where its taking me 5
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Join the Gun Owners Club

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelemit View Post

Sincerely,
    Kelemit
    And moreover, the PS3 has a gigabit LAN port. So it's even father off .
    60GB PS3 on 11/17/06
    40GB PS3 on 11/17/07
    120GB PS3 Slim 10/1/09

Elite Guru
    I usually download from PSN at about 1.5MB-2MB per second. I get things pretty fast.

Athlon 64 X2 6000+ | PI-AM2RS780G Mobo | 2x2GB DDR2 800 | HD 4830 @ 655/1025, Rosewill 550W PSU | Samsung 500GB 7200RPM
    | Windows 7 x64 | Onkyo HT-S3100 5.1

I'm a hater, a traito.
    so what is the speed difference for wired and wirelss?
    assuming they use the same type of router
    they have the same d/l speeds
    and the wirless has perfect connection.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by irish-sid View Post
    so what is the speed difference for wired and wirelss?
    assuming they use the same type of router
    they have the same d/l speeds
    and the wirless has perfect connection.
    So we're assuming that wireless has a PERFECT connection? Well then I guess it's just a few things:

1) Security

Sure it's unlikely that someone will try and crack your WPA (or whatever your using. Well, WEP is easy to crack, but unlikely that anyone would try I guess.)

No one can steal a hard line .
    2. Maximum Potential Speed

With wireless, the maximum speed that the PS3 can receive is wireless G (54 Mbps = 6.75MBps).

Now if you go wired, you can take advantage of the PS3's gigabit LAN port (Gigabit = 1000 Mbit = 125MBps).

So, you can see that wired 125MBps is much greater than wireless 6.75MBps.

However, you have to consider what kind of service you are getting from your ISP. Most likely, it is not a 6.75MBps connection. In the US, the best service you can probably get is 50Mbps (6.25MBps) from FiOS which is still less than the 6.75MBps that wireless G can handle. So, I don't think you would notice a difference on a 100% perfect wireless connection.
    60GB PS3 on 11/17/06
    40GB PS3 on 11/17/07
    120GB PS3 Slim 10/1/09

Thread Information