Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2

Thanks dude.

Again I want to spend big once. Funny some people hate the backlit experience which is why they say wait till the UN55c8000 is released. I'm holding off on playing my copy of GOW3 till I get one. Which is why I'm stressing on the research...got the cash. (thank god)

If anyone else can chime in I would appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Ed.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by QQimo View Post
    Can someone enlighten me on why LEDs are better than LCDs, besides the bigger price tag and contrast ? I really can't see any REAL reason to buy an LED instead of LCD...unless you're a TV snob or filthy rich.
    Hint: LED tvs ARE LCDs. They just use LEDs for backlighting instead of CCFL.

To the guy above: if you're wanting an LED LCD I'd spend more and get the local-dimming backlit model, as opposed to the edgelit models. They're said to be quite a bit better.

And to the OP, I wouldn't say that LCDs have the same viewing angles as plasma. I have two LCDs and a LED DLP. My DLP's viewing angles are just as good (or poor, however you see it) as the LCDs. Plasma is better than both.

Apprentice

Hey everyone. I didn't want to start a new thread in regards to my question so I thought this might be the best place to post it. I am out to buy a 32 inch television for gaming [I'll obviously use it from time to time for regular viewing, but its primary purpose is for my PS3].

I know the first post disregards all the negative rumors about plasmas, but I'm still leaning towards an LCD [unless one of you has had such an excellent experience with a plasma that you'd recommend the crap out of it]. My main questions are:

1) Does it really matter whether I get 720p or 1080p on the TV? Considering its only going to be 32 inches, I personally don't think its going to make a difference. I've also seen people saying on forums that the difference is only recognizable past the 40 inch mark [and even then its still hard to spot].

2) Does it matter whether I have 60 HZ or 120 HZ or is that not a big deal?

If there are any other tips you'd like to throw in/specs I should keep an eye on when shopping for the ideal television please let me know. Heck, if there are any 32 inch television models that you would recommend, please do not hesitate to post a link to them here.

Thank you in advance to whoever helps out.

Awesome info! I'll share this my moron friends to show them all the wrong info they have been feeding people!

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yokokorama View Post
    Hey everyone. I didn't want to start a new thread in regards to my question so I thought this might be the best place to post it. I am out to buy a 32 inch television for gaming [I'll obviously use it from time to time for regular viewing, but its primary purpose is for my PS3].

I know the first post disregards all the negative rumors about plasmas, but I'm still leaning towards an LCD [unless one of you has had such an excellent experience with a plasma that you'd recommend the crap out of it]. My main questions are:

1) Does it really matter whether I get 720p or 1080p on the TV? Considering its only going to be 32 inches, I personally don't think its going to make a difference. I've also seen people saying on forums that the difference is only recognizable past the 40 inch mark [and even then its still hard to spot].

2) Does it matter whether I have 60 HZ or 120 HZ or is that not a big deal?

If there are any other tips you'd like to throw in/specs I should keep an eye on when shopping for the ideal television please let me know. Heck, if there are any 32 inch television models that you would recommend, please do not hesitate to post a link to them here.

Thank you in advance to whoever helps out.
    I got a 32" Vizio 1080p from Wal-Mart for $399 and i couldn't be happier with the t.v. or the price. Shop around and you might be surprised. A 720p won't look bad but i can tell the difference. As far as the 60 vs 120hz question, i prefer the 60. With the motion plus on i get a bit of that drunk driver effect but alot of people like the 120hz better. If you have satellite or cable in your house then try to find something with at least 100,000 to 1 contrast ratio. Any lower and you may get that blotchy effect on the screen where there are darker colors like black. Also, i've noticed that the more features a t.v. has, the more controller lag i get while playing certain games. I imagine the more expensive models don't have this problem, but if your bargain hunting then these things come into play. I am completely satisfied with my Vizio.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by PS Gamer View Post
    MOST RUMORS ABOUT PLASMA TVs ARE FALSE

They do not die in 4 years, there lifespan is just as good as a LCD television (60,000 Hours, equivalent to about 20 years). The gas that is used in plasma TVs never has to be recharged, and it is not harmful. Now about them breaking easier next we'll compare both LCD and Plasma and you decide which is easier to put your foot through.

Comparison - LCD vs. Plasma vs. DLP/SXRD/RearProjo

This is always debated in a fierce argument where you have one person saying "OH WELL MY FRIEND TOLD ME THIS" or "MY FRIEND TOLD ME THAT". Well throw-out what your friend has told you because there probably morons who don't know anything about TVs.

Advantages:

LCD - Better for rooms that have A LOT of light flowing in them, due to there plastic matte screen (Unless its a samsung [the higher series]). LCDs are generally going to have a brighter picture then most TVs because its constant light source in the TV called the back light.

Plasmas - Better for darker rooms due to that glass screen and having to deal with reflections off of it. Plasmas are generally going to have a better color range than any TV out on the market, along with a better picture a plasma TV has a indefinite motion rate. Plasmas will produce the best black colors because there is no constant light source in the TV. A plasma picture is made up of gas that is electrified. The glass screen can also be an advantage due to it being able to take more of an impact hit if something is to strike it.

DLP/SXRD/RearProjos - Big screen size for the cheap price.

Disadvantages

LCD - Motion on any LCD TV is garbage. It doesn't matter 60Hz, or 120Hz it will never compete with a plasma. Black colors on an LCD are also very atrocious due to the back light always on in the TV (Making blacks look like Blues, Reds more like pinks, etc. etc.). Finally, pixel burn out can happen on LCD tv which is pretty much un-repairable.

Plasmas - The screen is glass (or a hard plastic) which you will get reflections off the screen. Plasma TV heat up more than an LCD TV and will get hotter, here in will cost slight bit more on your electric bill. Plasma do have a problem like the LCDs called burn in, however un-like LCD it is NOT permanent.
    THAAAANK YOU!! I'm glad someone finally understands these things! I've always been so annoyed bcuz people always trash or bag on Plasma bcuz it's "older technology."
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Thread Information