Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Dedicated Member

Xbox360 and U.S. Recession

With the United States in a huge recession and at war, thanks to cough, cough, you know who. How will this effect the sales of the 200.00 Xbox360 and the 400.00 PS3 on the eve of the 2008 holiday season? Our economy is a prime example of where arrogance and assumption based on past achievements will get you.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    LadyDuoMaxwell
    Items Yuna3d dot game heroesFinal Fantasy Tactics
    I have to no clue to be honest.

If things start to get really bad, I would most likely to cancel my Gold Membership, but that is most likely it.

3DS: 1161-0781-8406
    STEAM: LadyDuoMaxwell

Apprentice
    im taking these times as a perfect time to learn how to budget myself.... everything i make at work i use for bills and things i need.... and anything extra i get from either tips or selling things... is for things i want but dont need... so i'll just have to save a little longer now instead of being able to just go and buy things whenever i want..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] THIS SEXY 335i BMW and PS3 60gb PSN ID: Nate0409
    Madden 08, NBA 2k7, nba 2k8, Genji, Tony Hawk,FNR3 ,NFS:C, VF5, R:FOM, Virtual Tennis 3, Spiderman CE, Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, RockBand,COD4,AC:::: BR: Apocolypto,Talladega Nights, Black Hawk Down, Saw III, X-men, 300, 28 weeks later,RE1-3

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nucleus View Post
    With the United States in a huge recession and at war, thanks to cough, cough, you know who. How will this effect the sales of the 200.00 Xbox360 and the 400.00 PS3 on the eve of the 2008 holiday season? Our economy is a prime example of where arrogance and assumption based on past achievements will get you.
    You're referring to the overzealous lenders who lent ridiculous amounts of money to people without checking them out closely, or are you talking about the other side, the genius citizens who borrowed for homes they couldn't afford because they assumed they would be able to sell them back later for profit and are now forced to default on their loans? Well either way, I guess you're right, they're both at fault.

I don't think there will be a very large impact on console sales.

Dedicated Member

Looking at the way things went down, It would seem that someone had a inside scoop on things to come, regarding the economy. First we have a significant price drop on all Xbox360 SKUs. Then what was it? A week and a half to two weeks later financial chaos? Coincidence or did someone see this coming. If I were a top exec in a company as big as Microsoft, someone would be fired if I was caught by surprise by something so negatively significant that effects so many people around the world.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    LadyDuoMaxwell
    Items Yuna3d dot game heroesFinal Fantasy Tactics
    Quote Originally Posted by Nucleus View Post
    Looking at the way things went down, It would seem that someone had a inside scoop on things to come, regarding the economy. First we have a significant price drop on all Xbox360 SKUs and what was it, a week and a half to two weeks later financial chaos? Coincidence or did someone see this coming. If I were a top exec in a company as big as Microsoft, someone would be fired if I was caught by surprise by something so negatively significant that effects so many people around the world.
    I thought the console price drops were made, so they can get rid of the old models and replace with newer ones?

3DS: 1161-0781-8406
    STEAM: LadyDuoMaxwell

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nate0409 View Post
    im taking these times as a perfect time to learn how to budget myself.... everything i make at work i use for bills and things i need.... and anything extra i get from either tips or selling things... is for things i want but dont need... so i'll just have to save a little longer now instead of being able to just go and buy things whenever i want..
    you should rent out that sexy BMW :O :O i would know a bunch of people would drool at that ^_^
    If It Ain't Broke, I'll Fix It Till It Is.

Dedicated Member
    It could have a positive effect on sales of the arcade unit, people want games, see $199 is the cheapest. Sold.

But "you know who" isn't to blame for this...Theres plenty of blame for him regardless though.

The Game. You lost it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SwitchBlade View Post
    It could have a positive effect on sales of the arcade unit, people want games, see $199 is the cheapest. Sold.

But "you know who" isn't to blame for this...Theres plenty of blame for him regardless though.
    He's a figurehead. He isn't to blame for all of this. He had a part in it, but he is far from the only one responsible.

The politicians are attacking Wall Street right now because the American population doesn't want to hear that it is their fault, they want the blame to be on the "big, bad, rich, and greedy" people on Wall Street.

Neither candidate will come out and say that people should have used common sense (i.e. don't borrow more than you can pay) because they are trying to sway the population to vote for them. Honestly, if I were 18, I wouldn't vote for either candidate. Both of them are so full of ****, it isn't even funny.

Both sides are to blame for the current economic crisis we are facing on Wall Street. Both the lenders and the people taking the loans are to blame. Ignorance is not an excuse.

My aunt actually was employed in the sub-prime mortgage industry, she lost her job when her company went under about six months ago. The crisis is just being seen in Wall Street and the media today; this wasn't something that happened overnight.

Dedicated Member
    i wouldnt be surprised if dec npd numbers were roughly the same as last years numbers despite both consoles now being cheaper than before.

The Hero From Vault 101
    i think that the $200 360 is looking alot better for most gamers...the ps3 might suffer some holiday sales this time around but we will have to wait and see
    PS3: Uncharted 2 /// 360: Modern Warfare 2

Forum Elder
    trending has shown that in many cases, low cost leisure spending actually tends to go UP in times of economic crises. people need something to dispel their stress on.

bigjonny
    hay guyz i h8 bush too am i kool now?

anyways...i dont think it will have much effect at all. if it was going to then it would of already happend.

Soldier 95B
    Well, the recession isn't EVERYWHERE in the U.S. My business for example is up almost a million dollars for the year, beating our budgets and forecasts each month. Overall, I would say the U.S. is in a down turn though.

Based on record sales of different software titles this year through the most recent Star Wars title, it leads me to believe we will still have a stellar holiday of gaming sales.

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Switch View Post
    Well, the recession isn't EVERYWHERE in the U.S. My business for example is up almost a million dollars for the year, beating our budgets and forecasts each month. Overall, I would say the U.S. is in a down turn though.

Based on record sales of different software titles this year through the most recent Star Wars title, it leads me to believe we will still have a stellar holiday of gaming sales.
    Do you work in Insolvency?!

I think the downturn will hit Sony the hardest because of the price point of the PS3 and particularly because of the effect it can only have on blu ray adoption, I mean how far along people's priority lines is replacing DVD gonna be?

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    even in a recession people will allways buy consoles. and not pay there rents and house bills
    thats the american way lol

Forum Sage
    The USA is one giant conspiracy. And the American people are either too stupid or too lazy to separate the bull **** from the truth, and the fact from the fiction.

Here's a tip, stop watching TV and start reading the Internet.
    "It's real hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace.

Of course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free, 'cause then they're gonna
    get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are." ~Easy Rider (1969)

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by webshark View Post
    trending has shown that in many cases, low cost leisure spending actually tends to go UP in times of economic crises. people need something to dispel their stress on.
    If this is true it could show positive results for the Xbox 360 and PS3. The Xbox360 arcade at 199.00 is definitely looking good to last-gen gamers and parents looking for a cheap entry level next-gen system. The PS3, though expensive, still may be able to lure moviegoers away from theaters to Blu-Ray sales and down loadable movies. Let's face, staying home and entertaining will save us all money.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Sin View Post
    The USA is one giant conspiracy. And the American people are either too stupid or too lazy to separate the bull **** from the truth, and the fact from the fiction.

Here's a tip, stop watching TV and start reading the Internet.
    QFT. The markets are being manipulated. What is going on right now is a huge transference of wealth. Money doesn't just disappear you know. It merely transfers. The deregulation of the loan industries combined with runaway deficits thanks to endless war is what led to the current crisis in the US economy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rareware
    Actually we're not in a recession as prices are increasing, not decreasing. There is also continued economic growth which confirms no recession.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gamecrazy View Post
    QFT. The markets are being manipulated. What is going on right now is a huge transference of wealth. Money doesn't just disappear you know. It merely transfers. The deregulation of the loan industries combined with runaway deficits thanks to endless war is what led to the current crisis in the US economy.
    You mean transfers to people like Warren Buffet? Or how about George Soros? Wonder who they're voting for....

Regardless, this imaginary recession hasn't had any impact on game sales so far. Last I checked, the industry was having another record year.
    Doing my part to stimulate the economy...

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Rareware View Post
    Actually we're not in a recession as prices are increasing, not decreasing. There is also continued economic growth which confirms no recession.
    im glad someone beat me to it. looks like a lot of people dont even know what a recession is.

-Live the life you love, love the life you live-

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by JoNJoN View Post
    You mean transfers to people like Warren Buffet? Or how about George Soros? Wonder who they're voting for....
    Yes exactly- this is more than a simple left vs. right thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by chartwel View Post
    im glad someone beat me to it. looks like a lot of people dont even know what a recession is.
    ok a recession is 2 financial quarters of negative GDP growth, it has nothing to do with the price of anything, inflation can and often does occur in a recession. ?????????????????????/

edit" two 'consecutive' quarters of negative growth.
    "The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time." - Mark Twain

Forum Elder
    umm....money isnt disappearing. people were spending more than they actually hadin the hopes that they would get a huge payoff in the future when prices continued to soar. when they didnt, they were up sh*t creek, and honestly, its kinda their fault....

Thread Information