Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Superior Member
    mine only crackles while playing Battlefield BC online... Launch 60gig optical out 5.1

PSN ID MurphANDderl
    xboxlive: derlwaller

REFLEX
    It has to be the PS3 though.

Because I tried HDMI audio on both the receiver and the TV, and it crackles. I then tried Optical for audio off of the PS3 and it crackles as well. so its not JUST the HDMI for audio, it did it as well for the optical.

Apprentice

FW ? happened since a particular update?, i have no probs at all m8

Sandy Claws
    My audio only crackles sometimes while playing GTAIV.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    SomaXD
    Items PhotoShopPhotoshopAssassins Creed EzioKillzone 3Guerrilla GamesNaughty DogRaidenNoctisiPhone BlackVitaDeath NoteFinal Fantasy VII
    Quote Originally Posted by REFLEX View Post
    It has to be the PS3 though.

Because I tried HDMI audio on both the receiver and the TV, and it crackles. I then tried Optical for audio off of the PS3 and it crackles as well. so its not JUST the HDMI for audio, it did it as well for the optical.
    hmm i wonder if mine is just a completely different reason then for the crackling...
    Vanik Tetsu'ya
    PS4 500GB//PS3 MGS4 80GB//PS3 120GB Slim//360 250GB Slim//360 4GB Slim w/Kinect//Black Wii 4.3u softmod//PS Vita w/32gb card

Master Sage
    It happens to me too. I was listening to music and it had major fuzz to it after a while, i mean it wasnt doing it to begin with then it started doing it then it got worse later. I swear my speaker was blown out thats how bad it was, but i put the cd in my DVD player and it sounds fine. For some reason my ps3 was fine to begin with then it started going down hill haha.

I also notice it BIG time playing NHL 08 with major fuzz. You score a goal and the crowd and the entire game gets loud and its static like no other. GTA i have the problem with time and time again. Dont really notice it with COD4 though.

It also doesnt happen everyday either its wierd haha.

VOTE FOR JOHN McCAIN!
    The night was never so fearfull....

REFLEX
    I'm sure there are different issues that can cause this. And I'm sure not everyone in this topic has the exact same issue!

Its quite weird. I'm not sure if it started right after 2.43 firmware, but it was very recent. Like within the last week or two, tops.

I'm waiting to see what Sony says in their emails. I'm also going to be playing some games on it to see if it effects anything else. Maybe its just HOME, but that just doesn't sit right with me since it was doing it for other things, not just HOME.

I have been told in the HOME BETA forums that this is a problem for some people in HOME, but I have noticed it before I got home..... so.... .who the hell knows.

Apprentice

so it could just be a fw bug then...maybe

REFLEX
    This is very very true. And firmware 2.5 is coming out in October.... so..... perhaps it will be better by then. I'm not jumping to conclusions like "I'll buy a new PS3" or "I'll need it to be fixed ASAP", obviously SOMETHING is going on, and it could very well be a firmware thing.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    It's definitely the PS3 but whether or not it's fw or hw is a difficult call to make. I guess waiting for the next fw update is the best option. Before you spend any money it might be worth convincing a friend to bring their ps3 hdd round to your place for you to try (assuming they didn't update the fw or install Home beta). Might be a way of testing whether it's your actual PS3 hardware.

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

Superior Member
    I had this problem while playing the Orange box a few days ago, but i thought it was just the Orange box since it already has a few bugs on it.

I think Blank Beast is right about it being the new firmware 2.43 though, i never had this problem before

REFLEX
    Yeah, it IS the PS3, thats for sure. I'll get a friend to stop by with this maybe next week.. to check it out. Getting a PS3 fixed that is not under warranty is like 200 dollars. So..... I'd rather just buy a new one. Haha. Damn.

All I do is listen for this crackle now, I don't even hear anything else haha...

If I had a blown speaker (this is a debate between myself and a friend) then I'd hear crackly noises most (or all) of the time when loud things happened like explosions or loud music, not just little hints randomly.... right? I only ever had blown speakers in a old car, and I remember it being crackly.. but almost all the time in loud stuff.

Apprentice
    Weird..I also have this problem...When I play sid meier when a wonder is completed and it plays that little song it really crackles..only sometime tho..and the motorstorm PR demo when I drive the racing truck...Wish I knew the issue.

Red Herb Addict
    Im having the same problem but seems to be only with Wipeout HD so cant really say if it has anything to do with 2.43.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Ok. Its not my receiver, and its not my speakers. I have tested them both with various other materials and sources, and its not them.

Its the PS3 I think, and its weird. For instance, last night I was playing a downloaded file off of a torrent, it was a TV show. Sometimes through the show when someone would talk there would be a bit of a crackle noise with it, noting major, but you notice it, and its annoying.. and bad.

OK, so watch another episode, doesn't happen. Ok..... I assume at that point that its the show I downloaded. But it wasn't, it happened on a track I ripped from a CD, but then not again after...... even the same material!

Then I was in the HOME BETA (just got in) and I was in the theater area and it was crackling again, and then again outside by the music area. Crackling at some parts of the song.

Then I go play Socom and other games, no crackle..... same music that crackled before.. no crackle now.

WTF!? It sounds terrible when it happens. I really don't like that, and would like it fixed somehow. Before I call Sony or test the HDMI cable, anyone else experience this at all??

I have a Harmon Kardon reciever and I also get a crackle. Does yours crackle the whole time or just at the begining it will make a snaping noise? I have tried everything to make it stop but there is no way it's my reciever or speakers.

REFLEX
    Its only sometimes, and seems to be only with HOME, I have not heard it once since I made the topic, not outside of HOME anyway.

So I don't know. its not a sound any speaker would make on its own.... so...... its either the machine or HOME.

As for everyone elses reasons..... who knows, I guess it could be so many things, improper audio settings on the PS3, connection issues, speakers, cables... man....

Red Herb Addict
    Its only sometimes, and seems to be only with HOME, I have not heard it once since I made the topic, not outside of HOME anyway.

So I don't know. its not a sound any speaker would make on its own.... so...... its either the machine or HOME.

As for everyone elses reasons..... who knows, I guess it could be so many things, improper audio settings on the PS3, connection issues, speakers, cables... man....

Yeah bit of a strange one. Good to hear yours hasnt done it again. Mine does it almost everytime I play Wipeout. Its not anything in my sound system either. Defo has something to do with the PS3. I posted cause it sounded similar to your issue and clicked and thought yeah, maybe something to do with 2.43.

See what happens after the next update I guess. When ever that is.

I have been experiencing the same severe audio crackling glitch with my PS3, as reported by others in this thread.

I found this thread through Google.

There are several other threads around the internet describing and complaining about this PS3 sound crackling/popping problem, but this thread seems to be tackling the issue with the most seriousness. So I will add my voice to the chorus here confirming this is a problem.

fyi, I have my PS3 audio hooked up to a Sony brand Dolby Digital 5.1 & DTS 5.1 supporting AV system, using optical audio connection. (my video signal gets sent to a Samsung Series 6 HDTV via HDMI)

Hopefully one of us can accidentally find a fix, or convince Sony to fix the issue, and then the rest of us can all get the fix as well. Right now nobody on the internet seems to know what is causing this.

I'm falling into the majority of cases who experience the sound crackling/popping/static burst problem only when playing PS3 game discs, and I never have the problem during Blu-ray or DVD discs (BD and DVD audio is absolutely perfect).

Also, as a few people have mentioned I have noticed that if I uncheck the Dolby Digital 5.1 box in my PS3's optical output options menu, then that disables Dolby Digital 5.1 and only uses Stereo sound, and the severe audio crackling glitch completely dissapears while using Stereo sound only through optical.

More interestingly, I have also found that games which include support for DTS 5.1 (not to be confused with Dolby Digital 5.1) audio such as Dead Space, will work completely fine in DTS 5.1 surround without any crackling, if I uncheck the Dolby Digital 5.1 box in my PS3's optical output options menu. If I leave both DTS 5.1 and Dolby Digital 5.1 boxes checked though, then Dead Space crackles again, presumably since the Dolby Digital 5.1 overrides the DTS 5.1 in signal priority if both boxes are checked.

So if I had to guess, it looks like maybe this PS3 sound glitch might be within the PS3's Dolby Digital 5.1 decoding software during games. Not the hardware, since that couldn't explain why my PS3 Dolby Digital 5.1 works perfectly fine without any glitches for Blu-ray movies and DVD movies. It might be that the PS3 uses a different method for software Dolby Digital 5.1 decoding when playing games or movies, and the latter isn't affected by this software glitch (?)

I have tried all combinations of settings changes that I can think of, but can't seem to fix this severe PS3 audio glitch. The effects of the glitch are more obvious in some game scenes than others, sometimes it is subtle and rarely crackles, while in other game scenes it is so severe as to make the game unplayable in Dolby Digital 5.1.

I have a 60GB Australian PAL launch PS3.

Anyone else please post your experiences, experiments and progress on how to fix this please. I have been considering whether to just go out and buy a new PS3 or AV receiver, but the facts don't add up, I don't want to buy new hardware unnecessarily and have the problem remain...

If someone finds an earlier firmware PS3 that hasn't been updated, then maybe they can test if this glitch is firmware upgrade related, by testing the system before and after firmware upgrade. If this problem is firmware upgrade related, then somehow this problem needs to be communicated to Sony, so they can start work on including a fix in a future firmware. The fact that they haven't fixed it to date suggests Sony are not aware of this glitch.

ButtersEvilTwin
    Mine has a static sound sometimes, other times it is fine. The PS3 is only a month or two old, it is the new 80gb model with no backward compatibility. For certain downloads it does it sometimes, other downloads it never does it. It seems to do it with downloaded content only so far as I have played about 10 disc based games and had no issues. It is odd as in Puzzle Fighter HD it does it more with the sound effects even though the music has a little.

I have an old tv (1987-the audio works fine) and it has never made this sound with the same exact cord hooked up to the ps2 (same tv). To fix this I have tried a different output by going from RF to the brand new red-yellow-white connectors provided with the console, both still do it. I tried moving the PS3 a little farther away from the tv (interference maybe) but no change.

I then tried hooking it up to another tv and it seems fine. I only hooked it up once but it had no issues at all. I assumed it was some conflict between the old tv and my ps3. Now seeing that this is a bigger issue, I may have to test more to see if it was 100 percent fixed. I would be really pissed if my ps3 was defective as one of the biggest reasons why I got the ps3 vs 360 was reliability rates.

I just noticed this crackling once this past weekend while playing Burnout. It eventually went away.

I am using HDMI for video only to my TV and connecting sound to my Onkyo AV Receiver via optical. My PS3 is only a couple months old - 40gb model but that HDD was upgraded a few weeks ago.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Don't forget the Wizards. They're responsible for so many things that can't be explained.

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

REFLEX
    I have done many tests, many times. And I have not been able to re-create the crackle sound.

Who knows...... Although I'm sure that there are many different reasons why it can or could crackle for different people. For instance my case could be totally different than someone elses.

Im having the same problem. It happends more often with GH3. its the same deal it happens at random. it would start crackling and the only way to fix it is by restarting the game. its so annoying. :gta: PS3

I have my ps3 connected thru hdmi 1.3 to my tv i have reseted the ps3 to factory defaults and nothing, i know i have 5.1 off. i dont know what to do. im calling sony tomorrow. its pissing me off

Dedicated Member

I have done many tests, many times. And I have not been able to re-create the crackle sound.

Who knows...... Although I'm sure that there are many different reasons why it can or could crackle for different people. For instance my case could be totally different than someone elses.
    What have you heard from Sony? I am just curious, I don't have this issue.

AzureForge
    I started having this crackling issue since last week... right after I read this thread.

I got cursed ;/

Thread Information