Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 4
    Forum Overseer

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by REFLEX View Post
    Ok. Its not my receiver, and its not my speakers. I have tested them both with various other materials and sources, and its not them.

Its the PS3 I think, and its weird. For instance, last night I was playing a downloaded file off of a torrent, it was a TV show. Sometimes through the show when someone would talk there would be a bit of a crackle noise with it, noting major, but you notice it, and its annoying.. and bad.

OK, so watch another episode, doesn't happen. Ok..... I assume at that point that its the show I downloaded. But it wasn't, it happened on a track I ripped from a CD, but then not again after...... even the same material!

Then I was in the HOME BETA (just got in) and I was in the theater area and it was crackling again, and then again outside by the music area. Crackling at some parts of the song.

Then I go play Socom and other games, no crackle..... same music that crackled before.. no crackle now.

WTF!? It sounds terrible when it happens. I really don't like that, and would like it fixed somehow. Before I call Sony or test the HDMI cable, anyone else experience this at all??
    That happened to me while playing COD. This usually happens when you use an HDMI cable. Sometimes it gets bent or something. I tried making it straight and it stopped happening but then it came back again a few months later...

But I know it's your HDMI cable.

AzureForge
    Hi,

I was having a terrible time with the crackling noise and one day when it happened, it kept doing it for more than 30 seconds.

So I got up, went to the back, adjusted the HDMI's cable head to the tv and voila. The crackling noise stopped and hasn't happened again.

Hope this helps someone

Master Poster
    I've had a bit of lousy audio quality on some audio files, kind of like crackling, but also the sound was distorted or something at the same time... since launch on my Bro's PS3... I'm not sure but I thought it just depended on which song I was playing so I would switch songs...
    I also just assumed it was because my bro has a cheap AV system... Sucks to have something expensive crackle! I would be afraid to turn it on, got a short circuit or something? lol scary.

Edit:
    Has anyone compared an expensive HDMI cable to a cheap one? maybe the cheapest ones are "really really cheaply built" beyond the minimum standard, like above, if the pins are lose that's no good...

I know some USB cables the pins stick out and then you cannot connect them until you push them back down to being flat (when you can), and then usually they are ok, but those pins are rigid.
    Nos Locos kick your ***, Nos Locos kick your face, Nos Locos kick your balls into outer space!

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by REFLEX View Post
    I have done many tests, many times. And I have not been able to re-create the crackle sound.

Who knows...... Although I'm sure that there are many different reasons why it can or could crackle for different people. For instance my case could be totally different than someone elses.
    Your case can indeed be different, i also encounterd this in 2 games already!

1: Battlefield bad company has random distortions when shooting or standing next to a tank that shoots

2: Fallout 3 has a place where i can recreate the event. there is a aleyway with lots of explosive material! When it detonates i get the crackeling sound! Could the explosion be to loud so the game messes it up?

Either way i think its something with the software or the ps3 systeem itself! Never had it on music or movies. I got a Sony HT-SS1100 connected true optical cable and both Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 marked
    _-~[ Death has a thousand faces, Evil has only one ]~-_

Well. i just sent my ps3 for repair. I spoke with sony and after numerous attempts to determine the problem (lol i knew it was ps3 itself). sony agreed to take a look at my ps3. I didn't know why it was doing it but its probably something with the system itself, mainly because the only way to fix my problem was to restart the game (no need to restart the console). I am 100% sure is not my tv. 1 i put my volume way low because i live in an appartment and 2 i could litteraly pause the game go to any other source , come back mins later and cracklin would continue. so as far i know its not my hdmi cable cuz hdmi cables are either good or not, on or off, 1 or 0. yet sony suggested it was my cable. crap the should really look into hdmi specifications. any way i hope they fix the problem soon so i can go back to playing my fav games. if you are having the same problem give sony a call.

AzureForge
    Quote Originally Posted by uketommyv View Post
    Well. i just sent my ps3 for repair. I spoke with sony and after numerous attempts to determine the problem (lol i knew it was ps3 itself). sony agreed to take a look at my ps3. I didn't know why it was doing it but its probably something with the system itself, mainly because the only way to fix my problem was to restart the game (no need to restart the console). I am 100% sure is not my tv. 1 i put my volume way low because i live in an appartment and 2 i could litteraly pause the game go to any other source , come back mins later and cracklin would continue. so as far i know its not my hdmi cable cuz hdmi cables are either good or not, on or off, 1 or 0. yet sony suggested it was my cable. crap the should really look into hdmi specifications. any way i hope they fix the problem soon so i can go back to playing my fav games. if you are having the same problem give sony a call.
    You are oversimplying what HDMI cables do.

And also you're not seeing the fact that while HDMI cables transmit digitally, they STILL rely on physical connections.

For me, my crackling issue was the hdmi cable's head connection to my tv. It kept wobbling.

It can be highly possible that it was your cable.

Dedicated Member

weird must be something wrong with the ps3 or cables

Elite Guru
    My crackling is my cables, i know it for sure. I just got my PS3 replaced, and every once in a while games while crackle upon start-up. All i have to do is pull the HDMI out of the back of the PS3 and then plug it back in. It goes away.

Athlon 64 X2 6000+ | PI-AM2RS780G Mobo | 2x2GB DDR2 800 | HD 4830 @ 655/1025, Rosewill 550W PSU | Samsung 500GB 7200RPM
    | Windows 7 x64 | Onkyo HT-S3100 5.1

Elite Member

I had this sort of problem awhile back, and while some people like REFLEX really know and understand all the different settings with their setup, I dont know nearly as much. I actually thought the crackling was my TV speakers, because I would notice it on the high notes and sometimes here and there for no reason. What turned out to fix my crackling problem was in the PS3 Sound Settings under Audio Output Settings you can select the output format. I just looked at it now, and for me some of the output format options are a white font while others are a light gray. Gives me the impression that the white font options are what will work and the light grays are what wont work. Im sure REFLEX could help anyone when it comes to figuring out all the frequency stuff, because I have no clue Hope this helps anyone out there.

I have crackling sounds also and it's for sure the ps3.It only does it when I'm playing the orange box. I have the 40 gb using optical for sound.

I also forgot to mention it started doing it the exact day I got firmware 2.43 I think.

Well? Did anyone fix this yet? Don't leave me hangin'!

I'm having the same problem. I'm on the latest firmware, 2.53 (I think that's the number. It's the latest one.) I have random crackling (it will appear in a scene while watching a movie one time, and then not be there the next time I watch the same scene) and also crackling for specific sounds. (The Maruader's fireballs in Resistance 2 crackle every time.)

I'm connected to the TV by HDMI, all sound options are unchecked (no Dolby, no DTS, etc) except for the two regular stereo options that you can't uncheck.

I got a high quality Monster surge protector that's supposed to remove grounding interference and other things that cause audio problems. The crackle is still there.

What can I do to fix the crackling? I was thinking of buying a sound system, but I don't want to drop a ton of money is the problem is going to persist.

b3no
    Has anyone found a solution to this problem, its driving me insane!

I have searched all over the web and this forum seems to target the problem seriously.

REFLEX you seemed to be on the ball any luck??

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY, GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Quote Originally Posted by b3no View Post
    Has anyone found a solution to this problem, its driving me insane!

I have searched all over the web and this forum seems to target the problem seriously.

REFLEX you seemed to be on the ball any luck??

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY, GREATLY APPRECIATED!
    Check my post out: http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...55#post1232455

If you haven't checked it out already...
    Hope it helps!

TV:50" Samsung Plasma 1080p HDTV Receiver:7.1 Surround Sound Onkyo HT-S6100 Games:Fight Night Round 3 (challenge me thru challenge arena!!!!) Initial D Extreme Stage; Metal Gear Solid 4;Burnout: Paradise;NFS:ProStreet;Rub a Dub;GOW 1&2;Tokyo Extreme Zero;

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by buffalothc View Post
    I get the same thing when I'm playing games. If there's an explosion or something loud in the game it comes out crackling but it's only when I use the hdmi connection to my tv. It sounds fine when I use the av connection to my receiver.
    I solved that problem a long time ago by going into my XMB HDMI audio options and unchecking one of the HDMI audio options that was enabled when I had chosen automatic (trying to remember which one I unchecked).

b3no
    MATE!

You are an absolute legend, thanks so much, it was so annoying i was ready to throw my PS3 out the window.

That was a great find, thanks so much again, i really appreciate it.

Elite Member
    There is another possible reason, when playing music or movies make sure the volume control is at 0, if its at +1 or +2 audio often crackles

I had the crackling sound after 2.4 or 2.43 update. I only got crackling sound when loading a game or movie. I never got it during playing music, playing a game or wathcing a movie.

My PS3 is hooked up with optical to a receiver and with HDMI to TV. First I thought that the crackling sound came from my speakers, but it came from the TV speakers even with the volume turned off.

The problem went away when I got a new TV. So I really don't know what the problem was exactly. Maybe the HDMI port was too loose, so the physical connection wasn't good. Maybe it was loose on the PS3's end and I just happened to plug it in better when I hookep up the new TV. Weird. Hopefully the crackling sound will not come back. I've had the new TV for 2 months and it hasn't happened since. So it looks good.

Happends to me with Battlefield: BC

This happens to me when I run HDMI video and use optical out for audio. I have to mute my television before the game in order to prevent the crackling. When I use component, I have no problems (except for my DVDs looking like donkey crap).

when i had this problem it occurred to me that maybe it has a hard time displaying both the graphics AND the audio, so for me i changed my TV AUDIO to GAME MODE (or browse your tv menu for anything saying "GAME MODE"), and that fixed everything. i hope this helps.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    I had a crackling/staticy audio issue with my PS3 when I first got it (and a few times afterward if it ever got reset) For me it was the audio settings. I let the PS3 auto select the sound settings, went to play a game and was met with fuzz and static anytime things got loud. I immediately went to the audio setting and as I suspected it had chosen 5.1 surround which I knew my crappy value TV wasnt able to handel properly. So I selected the 2 channel options and went about my merry way.

Edit: This is through HDMI by the way
    Last edited by D3seeker; 07-31-2014 at 11:36.

Thread Information