Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

REFLEX

PS3 Crackling audio?

Ok. Its not my receiver, and its not my speakers. I have tested them both with various other materials and sources, and its not them.

Its the PS3 I think, and its weird. For instance, last night I was playing a downloaded file off of a torrent, it was a TV show. Sometimes through the show when someone would talk there would be a bit of a crackle noise with it, noting major, but you notice it, and its annoying.. and bad.

OK, so watch another episode, doesn't happen. Ok..... I assume at that point that its the show I downloaded. But it wasn't, it happened on a track I ripped from a CD, but then not again after...... even the same material!

Then I was in the HOME BETA (just got in) and I was in the theater area and it was crackling again, and then again outside by the music area. Crackling at some parts of the song.

Then I go play Socom and other games, no crackle..... same music that crackled before.. no crackle now.

WTF!? It sounds terrible when it happens. I really don't like that, and would like it fixed somehow. Before I call Sony or test the HDMI cable, anyone else experience this at all??

Apprentice

I get the same thing when I'm playing games. If there's an explosion or something loud in the game it comes out crackling but it's only when I use the hdmi connection to my tv. It sounds fine when I use the av connection to my receiver.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by buffalothc View Post
    I get the same thing when I'm playing games. If there's an explosion or something loud in the game it comes out crackling but it's only when I use the hdmi connection to my tv. It sounds fine when I use the av connection to my receiver.
    I solved that problem a long time ago by going into my XMB HDMI audio options and unchecking one of the HDMI audio options that was enabled when I had chosen automatic (trying to remember which one I unchecked).

The Hero From Vault 101
    i have this happen to me sometimes but i don't know what the source is. i'm thinking its the HDMI cable though.
    PS3: Uncharted 2 /// 360: Modern Warfare 2

REFLEX
    You guys haven't tried a new cable?

It just started happening like a week or two ago. And I know its not my speakers or receiver..... so its the PS3 and/or the HDMI connection. It really sucks, its pissing me off quite a lot, as it sounds terrible.

Elite Guru
    This has been happening to me recently to. I posted in the help section. It doesn't always happen though. Never happens on the XMB, but when i launch into games the audio will crackle. The first time i (temporarily) fixed it by changing the place where the power cord was plugged into, but it eventually came back. Anytime it does it now i just quickly unplug the HDMI cable from the back of the PS3 and then back in. The crackling goes away. Not to sure what the problem is though :/

Oh yea, and i don't have this problem with music or videos, just sometimes when i launch games.

Athlon 64 X2 6000+ | PI-AM2RS780G Mobo | 2x2GB DDR2 800 | HD 4830 @ 655/1025, Rosewill 550W PSU | Samsung 500GB 7200RPM
    | Windows 7 x64 | Onkyo HT-S3100 5.1

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by hatrix View Post
    This has been happening to me recently to. I posted in the help section. It doesn't always happen though. Never happens on the XMB, but when i launch into games the audio will crackle. The first time i (temporarily) fixed it by changing the place where the power cord was plugged into, but it eventually came back. Anytime it does it now i just quickly unplug the HDMI cable from the back of the PS3 and then back in. The crackling goes away. Not to sure what the problem is though :/

Oh yea, and i don't have this problem with music or videos, just sometimes when i launch games.
    Yeah I get the same thing, every time I start a game or film, I get this loud crackle noise and I don't know what causes it but I must admit that it doesn't really bother me but it would be nice to not have it at all haha.

Ancient
    I've had this problem since launch( I made a thread if you remember REFLEX )
    Blu-ray & DVD's are ok, same with CD's or files off the HDD, but some games crackle & sometimes they crackle a lot
    especially with explosions, I've tried it on another (cheaper) AV & theres no problem & I tried it on my bro's Technics & had no problem
    so I'll have to say it's the AV, it's not that there is something wrong with your AV
    theres just a problem with your AV & Playstation 3 working together
    on another note, it maybe down to the actual PS3, I don't think anythingon the PS3 has a set standardised output frequency
    perhaps Sony set a standard/limit on the output in a firmware update, cuz regardless if you paid £99 or £2,000 for your AV it's gonna sound awful if the sound input frequency is all over the place

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

REFLEX
    Do any of you have the 2.43 update that was not mandatory?

I do, but also I got to try a different cable I know isn't messed up.. then I can tell its the PS3 and not the cable. This sucks. I really don't like that noise coming out of my nice speakers.

the problem is the hdmi go to settings go to audio go to hdmi go to manual uncheck first box and that should fix problem hope it helps
    "A gamer is only as good as his weapons". -YOBOYROB-

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by yoboyrob9041226 View Post
    the problem is the hdmi go to settings go to audio go to hdmi go to manual uncheck first box and that should fix problem hope it helps
    That isn't checked for me and i still have the problem.

Athlon 64 X2 6000+ | PI-AM2RS780G Mobo | 2x2GB DDR2 800 | HD 4830 @ 655/1025, Rosewill 550W PSU | Samsung 500GB 7200RPM

REFLEX
    First box? I'll try it I guess, but I don't know..... I might have to call Sony.

I switched cables to one I know is not messed up and the "messed" up PS3 cable to the cable box, it worked fine. And the non messed up cable still had that audio on the PS3.

So it IS the PS3.... now what

Elite Guru
    We all seem to have variations of this. I DO NOT get this while listening to music or playing movies, but sometimes when I launch into games i will get crackling audio until I unplug and replug in the HDMI cable. Happens on all my games i play. GH3, warhawk, Gtaiv....... I do not have 5.1 checked, im using 2 channel linear PCM tv speakers lol. It has to be the ps3. I have a 60GB ntsc.

REFLEX
    But how come I never had a problem before? The only difference between when it DID NOT do this and when it DID is Socom BETA and Firmware 2.43

I can't stand this sound, and I know it isn't my speakers ruined, and I know it isn't the A/V its self.... but why all of a sudden does it do this?

How can I reach Sony and get an answer?

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by REFLEX View Post
    But how come I never had a problem before? The only difference between when it DID NOT do this and when it DID is Socom BETA and Firmware 2.43

I can't stand this sound, and I know it isn't my speakers ruined, and I know it isn't the A/V its self.... but why all of a sudden does it do this?

****, come to think of it, I believe i started having this problem after I installed 2.43, but I'm not for sure. If thats the case then that is probably the cause. I'm in the same boat as you, nothing has changed except my firmware.

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by hatrix View Post
    ****, come to think of it, I believe i started having this problem after I installed 2.43, but I'm not for sure. If thats the case then that is probably the cause. I'm in the same boat as you, nothing has changed except my firmware.
    Hmm, I hope its not like that on my PS3. Lately I've only been playing a few demos every know and then at night, and my receiver at 1 seems too loud for me to have sound on. I get paranoid that I'm going to wake up my parents haha. So I have been playing with sound off.
    \
    PS4|PS3|PS2|PS1|PSVITA|XBOX 360|XBOX|N64|3DS XL|DSi|Gameboy Advance|Gameboy Color|PC

Elite Guru
    I wouldn't want to send my 60GB in and get a replacement I just hope its an easy fix that we are all overlooking (lol, yea right)

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by REFLEX View Post

To be honest I haven't really notice it recently, so it maybe to do with the firmware, as for calling Sony well your customer service maybe different but the only thing I was offered in the UK was a replacement PS3

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Super Elite
    I would get this occasionally while playing Uncharted couple of weeks ago. and then it stopped.

But then recently yesterday while playing WipeOut, i'll get it non-stop!!! =/. and it does get annoying, would of thought its a small glitch, or my cable getting messed up. i've tried removing and inserting the hdmi cable back in, and it would work fine for couple of minutes as i had to go out, so i couldnt see if it works for a long time.

REFLEX
    Yeah, because I know that is all that has changed on my PS3.... firmware 2.43.

The first time I heard it was on Socom, I went into a game and my head set turned OFF for some reason ( maybe it died ) and then EVERY SOUND was crackly.... I was scared, I quit the game.... and it was fine again, started the game... and it was fine. Did not notice it after that either for a while, but just recently it started doing this.......

Elite Guru
    Mine will do it right when i launch into the game. Like in GTAIV while its loading i can hear the intro music crackling, and it will still do it once i get into game. Quitting the game doesn't always work for me (most of the time it doesn't) but unplugging HDMI does. I CAN NOT stand it. I would rather shoot myself than have to play games with sound like that.

Audio

The problem is the settings in the audio options. There is the options for ATRAC, MP3 and WMA, I noticed that whenever you play around with the settins by changing the bit rates it affects the output audio for games, movies and cd audio, I heard strong cracklin when ever I set these option low so I set them high, Example 356 kbps.,,,, Try playing with those options that is the problem trust me

REFLEX
    Mine does it at random, or what seems like random.

I was in the home beta, and I went into the games area, the background music had little crackles in it (not supposed to be!), then I left and went back in, and it was at different parts... random, or so it would seem. I watched the Motorstorm 2 preview thing, and during 1 particular WOOSH sound it made crackle sounds.... then I left for a while, came back and it did NOT do it again, or not as bad.

The same thing happens with some downloaded videos, and such. I cannot stand this, and would do anything to get rid of this crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Egyptology View Post
    The problem is the settings in the audio options. There is the options for ATRAC, MP3 and WMA, I noticed that whenever you play around with the settins by changing the bit rates it affects the output audio for games, movies and cd audio, I heard strong cracklin when ever I set these option low so I set them high, Example 356 kbps.,,,, Try playing with those options that is the problem trust me

I dunno..... you mean audio as in when you rip a CD? Mine is at AAC at 320kbps. Is that what you mean?

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    I've had the crackling problem ever since I switched to using a HDMI cable so I'll probably have a fiddle around with that tomorrow. I'm glad I'm not the only one that's having this problem though, but it would be nice if none of us were having it

Super Elite
    I've had the crackling problem ever since I switched to using a HDMI cable so I'll probably have a fiddle around with that tomorrow. I'm glad I'm not the only one that's having this problem though, but it would be nice if none of us were having it
    Seriously right, i thought i was going crazy . lol well i'll see what i can do to fix it.

Thread Information