Apprentice

How can i play MKV files on the ps3?

Hey so for a few days i have been trying to play mkv files on the ps3 but i am having some trouble. The problem is that the subs will not show up while streaming with tversity, nor do they show up in windows media player, i dont think they are embeded or something. They show up fine is zoom player. I have tried various things. I tried converting with mkv2vob but it kills the quality of my HD mkvs, I tried ps3 video 9, keeps hte quality but no subs show up.

Does anyone hv a tutorial on how to play MKVs on the ps3 with/without tversity?

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisx View Post
    I tried converting with mkv2vob but it kills the quality of my HD mkvs,
    you're doing it wrong if that is the case....
    PSN: Metfanant
    XBL: Metfanant
    Twitter: @Metfanant

Apprentice
    i don't think the quality should change if you convert it to vob. That's typically the way you're suppose to do it.

Master Guru
    Hey so for a few days i have been trying to play mkv files on the ps3 but i am having some trouble. The problem is that the subs will not show up while streaming with tversity, nor do they show up in windows media player, i dont think they are embeded or something. They show up fine is zoom player. I have tried various things. I tried converting with mkv2vob but it kills the quality of my HD mkvs, I tried ps3 video 9, keeps hte quality but no subs show up.

first dont transcode on the fly. thats old school way

2nd use mkv to vob to extrace the vob from the mkv. also there is a option to hardcode the subs do this.
    then you will be able to stream it viz TVersity or just copy it over to the ps3 D

Also i have no idea what you doing to kill to quality but i ahve many and i mean many HD 1080p rips on my HDD all of them were MKV file all of them converted using Mvk2Vob and all of them retain the awesome HD quality.

EDIT: ok just read back over your post you have 2 files right, This.mkv and This.srt
    the srt file is the subtitles
    in widows media player you have to right click and enable the subtitles, but with mkv2vob you just hard code them

~would you still love me in the morning ?~

Apprentice
    Oh >_> right my bad.....I didnt set it to x264 thats probably why lol. I am running it through again so i will see if it really retains the quality, if so then this is great =D

Apprentice
    i just read this thread out of boredom but now i'm curious can you have your ps3 read subtitle files such .srt files cause if so i've been saving a copy of oldboy on my hard drive for the longest cause i've been trying to figure out how i also use tversity and my default windows media player can anyone assist me on this.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by saiyanknight87 View Post
    i just read this thread out of boredom but now i'm curious can you have your ps3 read subtitle files such .srt files cause if so i've been saving a copy of oldboy on my hard drive for the longest cause i've been trying to figure out how i also use tversity and my default windows media player can anyone assist me on this.
    no, well if you can i dont know how to do it and iv tried for days

but you can re-encode it and hard sub the movie
    it will work like that

Apprentice
    thanks but how can i do that re encode it how what would i need to make that happen.

Apprentice
    THanks alot man!

how do you get mkv files to play?

I keep getting a corruption error

Apprentice
    This will answer all of your questions...

http://www.nidzumi.com/onezeroone-ho...-playstation-3

Master Guru
    thanks but how can i do that re encode it how what would i need to make that happen.
    you need this:
    http://www.autogk.me.uk/

it pretty simple to use, load the avi in there some where will be an option to load srt subtitles and it will hard code them. make sure you encode using divx so the ps3 will play it

Quote Originally Posted by HowlBridges View Post
    THanks alot man!

how do you get mkv files to play?

I keep getting a corruption error
    you need this:
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools/mkv2vob
    really easy to use. add the mkv.
    play the vob

Apprentice
    ^^^^Thanks fam! I was curious to know how that's done much appreciated!

Master Guru
    ^^^^Thanks fam! I was curious to know how that's done much appreciated!
    welcome mate, glad i could help

Elite Member
    I used mkv2vob to change it to mpeg so i didn't have to bother with all that streaming hassle. Everyone plays off the external i have. File size went a bit bigger (1gb>1.2gb) but i haven't noticed any drop in quality so win-win.
    A man can dream though. A man can dream...

Apprentice
    ya mkv2vob is amazing now =D its a tad slow but its ok i guess, gets the job done and does it gooood. took me about 10 hours to convert 15 HD macross Frontier episodes so its ok i guess, it gives a good result in the end i the time isnt to big or an issue. :gta::gta:

Ugg....this probably shouldn't be my first post, but I can see a lot of individuals here who could use this information. So I registered and plan on sticking around to help. There are ZERO programs other than Tversity that play MKV files. Of course you could hack an AppleTV or utilize XBMC and do it that way, but that defeats the purpose.

http://blog.hillbillyhardware.net/?page_id=34

My recommendation would be try Twonkymedia if you are having subtitle issues. It worked perfectly for me when I was doing my initial reviews and testing. Also be sure to check out the MKV2VOB tutorial as you must make sure that you have the correct settings otherwise the subtitles will not be displayed.
    blog.hillbillyhardware.net

Apprentice
    Ya i figured it all out now =D only problem is that i have to switch my display to 1080p cause the 720p movies are a bit cropped on my 720p monitor. My monitor dosent support 1080P but setting the ps3 display settings to it gives me more space around the screen. I just hate the squishy feeling in the xmb and circular objects, so i am gonna see if i can get used to it or not.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by desolationw View Post
    I used mkv2vob to change it to mpeg so i didn't have to bother with all that streaming hassle. Everyone plays off the external i have. File size went a bit bigger (1gb>1.2gb) but i haven't noticed any drop in quality so win-win.
    ummmm you know the ps3 can play vob files right.
    so if you had the vob files on your external HDD the ps3 would play them, no problem.

ya mkv2vob is amazing now =D its a tad slow but its ok i guess, gets the job done and does it gooood. took me about 10 hours to convert 15 HD macross Frontier episodes so its ok i guess, it gives a good result in the end i the time isnt to big or an issue. :gta::gta:
    Ya i figured it all out now =D only problem is that i have to switch my display to 1080p cause the 720p movies are a bit cropped on my 720p monitor. My monitor dosent support 1080P but setting the ps3 display settings to it gives me more space around the screen. I just hate the squishy feeling in the xmb and circular objects, so i am gonna see if i can get used to it or not.
    see i told you Mkv2Vob is the way.
    the only way really for HD movies

Dedicated Member

What are you doing.

MKV to VOB takes seconds on my machine which by no means is that powerfil. I'm guessing your doing something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyo-Unit View Post
    ummmm you know the ps3 can play vob files right.
    so if you had the vob files on your external HDD the ps3 would play them, no problem.
    euhm...

PS3 doesn't play vob from ext. HDD, tried it many times. It only plays when it's burned on DVD.
    Thats why i stopped downloading the full dvd's, i don't want to buy a dvd for every movie i watch. And burning to RW DVD is also not an option, 8 of 10 times it doesn't play..

Quote Originally Posted by higrob24 View Post
    What are you doing.

MKV to VOB takes seconds on my machine which by no means is that powerfil. I'm guessing your doing something else.

It will take a lot longer if you add subtitles since it has to transcode the entire movie. I use this program quite a lot and think it's great!

Apprentice
    Umm how can it take seconds? I have HD episodes about 500 - 1GB in size and thoe take around 40 min each with subtitles. idk maybe its slow but works for me. And the ps3 does play vob from an external HDD, i do it like everyday lol.

Thread Information