Latest PSU headlines:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 4
    Apprentice

What would you like to see added to the update, besides the obvious graphical upgrade? Me (all OPTIONAL, though):

-Voice acting, as long as it's good. They should also include the Japanese voices.

-More cinematic camera movement when you talk to people, so all the cutscenes aren't from 20 feet in the air.

-All party members should be displayed when you open up the menu. No more PHS bullflop.

-Be able to swap out part members a la FFX.

-Be able to permanently learn the abilities and stat changes from Materia, and then have the ability to enable or disable them as needed. Like halfway in between Ice and Ice2, you should permanently learn Ice.

-Fully orchestrated soundtrack.

-A little thing on screen during battles that shows the order of attacks, like FFX.

-Gaining AP points shouldn't take as long.

-More responsive, more fleshed-out versions of the Golden Saucer minigames.

Apprentice
    evanft, no offense or anything, but your stating the obvious. The reason why most of those things were the way it was, is because of the limited space that they had to work with then, while compared to now, they would have no excuse.

And gaining AP points wasnt that long, if it was any easier, then the game would be too easy....
    "A machine so sophisticated that it wont even work properly!"

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by evanft
    What would you like to see added to the update, besides the obvious graphical upgrade? Me (all OPTIONAL, though):

-Voice acting, as long as it's good. They should also include the Japanese voices.

-More cinematic camera movement when you talk to people, so all the cutscenes aren't from 20 feet in the air.

-All party members should be displayed when you open up the menu. No more PHS bullflop.

-Be able to swap out part members a la FFX.

-Be able to permanently learn the abilities and stat changes from Materia, and then have the ability to enable or disable them as needed. Like halfway in between Ice and Ice2, you should permanently learn Ice.

-Fully orchestrated soundtrack.

-A little thing on screen during battles that shows the order of attacks, like FFX.

-Gaining AP points shouldn't take as long.

-More responsive, more fleshed-out versions of the Golden Saucer minigames.
    okay lets see here.. gaining AP points is too easy if anything...I am not far into my current save at all and I have ice 2, fire 2, 3 allx2 and more than just those..

The order of attacks like FFX, why? you don't need it.. its pointless. Your character's turn bar goes up its his/her turn to attack.. you do what you want to and he does it usually right after that.

Being able to permantly learn the spells and stat changes from materia. No.. that would make the game even easier than it already is. Its better if you don't have it that way. What you said so far means you want to be able to easily gain AP points to learn the spell for good and knowing exactly when your going to be able to attack. Way to easy. lets continue.

To not have the PHS would change the storyline. They would have to change alot of the dialog in the game. Parts when Barret says "Its not good to travel as a group, lets split up." he says stuff like that alot throughout the game. Being able to swap your party members during battle also wouldn't make sense towards the storyline. Such as the Shinra building. The only parts in the game where you need access to your other character would be when you have more than one group of character that you can control.

If the character aren't with your other party members, why should you be able to take stuff off of them? It doesn't make sense. Maybe show all your character on the menu but not be able to take anything off of them unless they are in your current group.

They probably will put voice acting in it, if they even remake it. If they do remake the game, the camera views would have to change for most parts of the game. The tech demo didn't have the same camera views as the original. They were slightly different.

To sum up what your asking for pretty much means you want FFX with a better storyline. They should keep the battle system how it is, it makes more sense than being able to permantly learn the spells. If for some reason they decided to make it so you could permantly learn the spells they would make it harder than it currently is, not easier.

Apprentice

Allow me to quote myself:

Quote Originally Posted by evanft
    (all OPTIONAL, though)
    That answers every single one of your points. But I'll answer them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDon
    okay lets see here.. gaining AP points is too easy if anything...I am not far into my current save at all and I have ice 2, fire 2, 3 allx2 and more than just those..
    I'm like 13 hours in and I just have a few level 2 and a couple allx2. Some people don't like spending a lot of time leveling up, and would much rather progress through the main story.

The order of attacks like FFX, why? you don't need it.. its pointless. Your character's turn bar goes up its his/her turn to attack.. you do what you want to and he does it usually right after that.
    This helped out greatly when casting haste, slow, sleep, etc. spells. It allows you to know when the effect is going to wear off so you can plan your attacks accordingly. It's also helpful if you know a certain enemy likes to use a certain attack a lot, like one that does a lot of damage.

Being able to permantly learn the spells and stat changes from materia. No.. that would make the game even easier than it already is. Its better if you don't have it that way. What you said so far means you want to be able to easily gain AP points to learn the spell for good and knowing exactly when your going to be able to attack. Way to easy. lets continue.
    Having to give up abilties in order to start learning new ones is lame. Getting stuck without a certain type of spell against a boss and then having to reload the game is lame. Allowing for the abilities to be permanently learned fixes that.

To not have the PHS would change the storyline. They would have to change alot of the dialog in the game. Parts when Barret says "Its not good to travel as a group, lets split up." he says stuff like that alot throughout the game. Being able to swap your party members during battle also wouldn't make sense towards the storyline. Such as the Shinra building. The only parts in the game where you need access to your other character would be when you have more than one group of character that you can control.

If the character aren't with your other party members, why should you be able to take stuff off of them? It doesn't make sense. Maybe show all your character on the menu but not be able to take anything off of them unless they are in your current group.
    I should clarify: For parts where you HAVE to split into 2 parties, and the story flashes between them, of course you split them up. That's done in FFX. But when they're not really split up for story reasons, but just to have only 3 people at once in your party, you should be able to see everybody on the menu screen at once, and you should be able to switch people out with other party members. It was a great feature in FFX, and made many battles and leveling up a lot less tedious. (you could have everybody in your party gain exp/ap)

Basically, a lot of these changes are made to allow those who got into the series post-FF7 to be able to play with features they're used to.

Elite Guru
    I haven't spent anytime leveling up and I have lots of level 2 things. the parts where you HAVE to split up? yeah everytime you leave a town you split up. All of your party members, in FF7, are rarely together so it doesn't make sense for you to be able to change party members. The PHS you call your other members and they come to where you are and you change members then. Thats pretty much what happens. but being able to switch party members during battles is just dumb. I don't believe I ever used it during Final Fantasy X unless you had to. it was unneeded and FF10 seemed more like it was a beginners RPG it was one of the easiest games i've played because of these extra battle features. Leveling up in FF7 was never hard... its your fault if you don't use all your character and end making some of them at low levels when you need to use them. Ive never once had to reload my game because the magic I had equipped wouldn't work on a boss. or a certain enemy.

Yes now about knowing the order of attacks, I never pay attention to that bar. Now I know you are thinking well thats you other people do and it helped them. But what im saying is I never used it.. Infact I never really noticed it until about half way through the game. So you have tidus attacking and oh look the monster is next soo i guess ill heal with yuna and use power break with auron so he can't do much damage oh then after that ill take out tidus since hes after auron and put in rikku so I can "use" a al bhed potion (is that even what its called) be back later i have to go

Master Poster
    I would hate if that FFX action bar thing was included, it would ruin the whole point of the ATB system, plus it makes it more of a challenge, as someone said (too lazy to scroll up lol) FFX was more of a beginners RPG with that system.
    The ATB made it less predictive, and that makes things challenging and more realistic (in terms of battle)
    I dont want to play FF7 and complete it in like 12 hours!
    I want to play it all for along time, get lost in the story, feel like i was there, not play, complete and say "what just happened there, that was so fast i missed it all"

If they made AP easier to aquire, it would ruin the game big time, the games perfect the way it is now in terms of gaining AP and EXP, as well as Gil.

Im pretty sure they would put speach in the game, this would be great, and now i will know what their voices will be like and see if it is like it is in my head and what the voice artist that was chosen sounds like hehehe.

Learning spells for one would definetly ruin the game, that removes the whole point in master materia and takes out one of the mini quests from the traveller in Kalm.
    Also removes the point in mastering all the materia to get the master materia from the huge materia.
    Having it where you learn them permanently is more lame, that ruins the stragetic side of the game, choosing whats needed for battles at the right time is more fun than having learnt everything, it makes you want to think about what your doing.
    I dont want this game to be as simple to play for kids at 10-, that would ruin the name of FF7 all over.

Being able to swap players, it depends whats happening at the point in the game where you switch, if the teams are together, then yeh, allow that to happen, if they are split up, then nope, simple idea.

For the world map this time, i think they should have real day/night, even within the cities/towns/villages/prisons or whatever, i would love to see some of the places at different periods of the day.

I wonder if they will decide to add in 3D cameras anywhere where there wasnt one, such as in towns and that, since they will have this Blu-ray disc, they could add in alot more now, stick all this on a 50 GB disc and there you go.
    If voice acting takes a massive amount of space, just compress it, PS3 will be very capable of compression/decompression on the fly.

I do agree that all the members of your party should be shown on the menu screen, but if someone is far away (in the story) you CANT exchange with them, that is just wayyyy too easy.
    If anything i would want more of a challenge with FF7 so that it isnt really just remade for the sake of getting remade.
    Make some of the bosses harder, make some more hidden places etc.. even add in some more mini quests or secrets FMVs to reveal more of the story, like Vincents past (although Dirge Of Cerberus will do this)

Well thats all i can think of just now
    I have no signature.
    No, really, i don't. You're just imagining this.

Apprentice

I SAID EVERYTHING WOULD BE OPTIONAL!!!!

You don't have to play with any of those features if you don't want to. SOME people might want the option to play the game with a lot of the features that were introduced in FF8-10. If you want to play like FF7 w/o PHS, and easier AP, then you can. If you wanna play with harder bosses, then you can. If you just want to play the game like FF7 with fancy graphics, then you can.

I just don't see the point in remaking a game if they're not going to do more than update graphics/sound.

Master Poster
    Yeh i know where your going with this, its the same way im thinking, but it could be pretty hard to add in, plus it might be a little hard on the developer.
    I think they basically want to just do a graphics/sound update, everything else is perfect really hehe, they so have to have the orchestrated version of One Winged Angel though, that would make my day, my year (whatever year i bought it)

Also with these features, they might as well just re-release the others if they want that.
    FF8 doesnt need that much done anyway.
    FF9 might need some things changed at some points.
    I think with this they wanted an FF that was cartoonish like, but has actual depth to it, but sadly there was some jaggies, they fix that an its all good.
    FFX, i have only really noticed some tiny things in here, one major thing was collision detection though, that was poorly done in FFX, but the rest of it paid off really.

FF7 for me just needs a major graphics and sound change that it deserves, since this was the first 3D game they made, they never knew much about it, but sad thing is that they never expected it to be one of the favourites among alot of people.
    Sadly most people are put off by the graphics which is sad really because its the best game ive played, i honestly dont think anything will ever beat it except FF7 V.2 lol
    I have no signature.

Dedicated Member

I'm not sure if anyone posted this yet and i didn't see it on here but here is a Final Fantasy technical demo for the PS3 http://tinyurl.com/c9mtc

It looks pretty good graphics wise in my opinion even though it doesn't show much of the game.

Elite Member

I just read the rumor column inside the August issue of EGM. There it says in clear and bold words that FFVII is in the works. Don't just quote me yet, remember its just a rumor article but EGM is a very good magazine. Its the reason I got into anime when EGM editor "Shoe" mentioned his wish for all games to be Cowboy Bebop like.

The editor in Aug2005 EGM rumormill writes, " I've got it on a very, very good authority that the company is indeed bringing a visually updated version of FFVII to PS3. "

I know I'm late on the topic so don't accuse me. This is pretty good news. I hope they just keep everything intact about the franchise.

Cliff Bleszinski(Gears of War) on David Jaffe's God of War: I warn you, though, if you play God of War, other games aren't as good anymore. It's like eating a really good steak, and then going back to Sizzler.

Elite Guru
    Sadly most people are put off by the graphics which is sad really because its the best game ive played, i honestly dont think anything will ever beat it except FF7 V.2 lol
    the only things i can think of that could possibly be better is FF6 and maybe chrono trigger.. but thats it.. geez all this talk about these old rpgs is making me want to play them.. haha I seriously just went out and bought the following games.

FF8
    FF9
    Star Ocean the second story
    Xenogears

and im playing breath of fire 1 and 2 (roms) on my computer and also super mario rpg legend of the seven stars. wow.. bringing back old memories... haha..

Forum Elder
    Items User name style
    If I was remaking FF7 I'd consider a lot of basic changes...

- no more random attacks, ever, all monsters on the world screen all the time
    - more magical effects on the world screen, like being able to become invisible to monsters, or maybe some for of decoy to lure monsters off if you don't want to fight
    - voice acting
    - more flexibility in endings, events
    - better chocobo racing and breeding
    - Vincent's full story included
    - a more modern combat system, like FFXII or Grandia or Star Ocean 3
    - new characters
    - new events
    - new side quests
    - new mini games
    - more vehicles
    - a better ending movie

A remake should recapture most of the magic of the first game, but expand things and offer more.

Elite Guru
    *slaps hand on face in dissapointment* you should definatly be glad its 3 am otherwise i would definatly be complaining about what you just said.. haha.. keep random battles. there will be voice acting. a modern battle system? no such thing if you think about it.. star ocean 3 battle system is definatly not modern. its the same as the original star ocean and star ocean the second story. nothing modern about it. Grandia same thing. the playstation one had a grandia game same battle system as the new ones I think. We don't really know about the FFXII battle system all that well.. it would be sorta hard to fit vincent's full story in.. but It would be neat.

New characters - no
    new events - depends on what you mean
    new side quests - eh.. maybe
    new mini games - if you mean at the golden saucer possibly but remember most of those games are games you play while going through the storyline.
    More vehicles - pointless. you have a buggy, you have chocobos, you have an airship you can go everywhere. The ending movie.. with updated graphics they will change parts of it.. and probably make it longer. But its a good ending. it would still be great to see. There isn't really more materia they can make.

there are already the materia that gives you all summons or every magic spell. so not really needed. but maybe. what can you really change about the chocobo racing? if anything I would raise the difficulty to breed a gold chocobo it made getting knights of the round waaaay to easy considering how powerful it is.

I don't know if I already talked about it or not.. but.. random battles.. keep random battles.. it works.

Im sry but it seems like you want Final Fantasy to be grandia and star ocean 3 mixed since you did use them as examples for a combat system, and they both don't have random battles. This is final fantasy. not grandia or star ocean. I understand FFXII willl not have random battles. But I also thinking square enix sucks compated to plain squaresoft.

about the no new characters. Okay I strongly disagree adding new characters to the game. It would change the storyline a lot. It would have to be a secret character that you get the same way you get Yuffie. And one of those kinds of characters is enough.

Superior Member

maybe a remake will happen.look at this:

"- EGM's rumor corner reported that Square Enix is indeed working on a PS3 version of Final Fantasy VII, with graphic enhancements like in FFVII: Advent Children."

good new huh?

http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

Master Poster
    Vincent is a hidden character though, you dont really need to get him in the game, and plus, why ruin Dirge Of Cerberus, thats Vincents game, and it will tell you more about his story, his past etc

No way with new characters, that would mess all the story up, and plus i doubt S-E would even consider doing it, take too long, they just want to make an upgrade to current gen/next-gen graphics.

They will probably consider doing some changes in Gold Saucer for sure, like maybe make the basketball a little more fun, maybe make the VR battle arena better, maybe increase the length of the Mog game, i loved that
    I wish they would like add in more levels for it, maybe at least 5 levels .

As i said, new events could be good if it wont really interfere with the main story, same for new side-quests/mini-quests.

Im liking the idea of the Invisibility Materia, maybe they could add that in, make it have 3 levels.
    1st level will make you invisible for 5 shots, 2nd level for 10, 3rd level will be till the end of the battle, but i would make this a special materia that wont be able to make a new materia after level up, or make it really really really hard to level up, and not allow it to be in the master materia of the materia type.
    And theres already a materia that gets enemies to stay away if you dont want to fight too much.

The ending will almost definetly be better, i think they might even use the FMV section from FFVII:AC

They should add more enemies in to the story, that would be good, from what i know, Japan and USA never got Ruby and Emerald weapons, so i think they should be in the newer ones everywhere, plus some more things.

How about a flying chocobos? (nah probably too far)

They should make underwater more interesting, it seems slightly dead
    I think they should add enemies in there, or something like that.
    I have no signature.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by sparda
    maybe a remake will happen.look at this:

"- EGM's rumor corner reported that Square Enix is indeed working on a PS3 version of Final Fantasy VII, with graphic enhancements like in FFVII: Advent Children."

good new huh?

http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm
    That's only a rumor, which is why it's in EGM's "rumor" section.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Superior Member

"That's only a rumor, which is why it's in EGM's "rumor" section."

you're right but the rumours only happen when there are reasons to happen. e3 is far behind so, if there is to be a lie that would have happened back then and not now. also, magicbox is a good site where rumours turn out to be true. but its better to calm down and hope this happens. i never played final fantasy 7 and because everyone talks about it, i had the chance to play it before. but i refused because i don't want to spoil the 1st time with past generation graphics and sound. i have a feeling that they will do a remake for ps3

Elite Guru
    sparda.. just get 20 dollars and go buy it... the past graphics/sound cannot possibly ruin it....

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'm playing Final Fantasy VII right now and it's still a great game. I don't think you'll ruin the experience. Plus, the Advent Children movie release is right around the corner (September), and you'll be lost in the plot if you haven't played the game yet.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Superior Member

man..don't punish me any more. i'm resisting the temptation too long to loose it now. my thing is..if they release ff7 on ps3 with great graphics, great sound, it will be my first experience on that game. and first time is always the best. but when you say go play it...man..i must resist.

Master Poster
    noo play it, play it, you know you want to, you feel it, your minds telling you to go over to the computer, turn it on and stick in FFVII, gooo, get it, you know you want to.

Plus you dont want to watch FFVII:AC and then say after it "what the...i dont have a clue whats goin on"
    Plus the graphics arent that bad, its just the main character models that are slightly blocky, well apart from in battles, but thats it really, the graphics in the backgrounds are pictures really, its going the same way as Resident evil except RE had actual FMVs in the backgrounds (till later games that is)

The gameplays amazing and makes up for it, if people were to look past it and play the game, they would be really kicking themself for even thinking twice about it
    I have no signature.

Thread Information