Veteran

PSX finally gets confirmed for UK

The PSX has finally been confirmed for the UK. It's been released in Japan already (where sales have been described as steady to disappointing) but a UK release was never certain until now. The machine Basically combines a DVD-R recorder, a PS2, a Network Adaptor (For online games), a CD player, TV tuner and a Hard Drive Recorder. Sony expect a slow, steady pick up for a premium product like this one in the UK. Hopefully however, Sony will fix some of the shortcomings of the Japanese version for the UK release.

Dedicated Member
    yea, the Japanese one has some functions taken out so it could be out for a Christmas release but there putting them back in in the form of downloadable patches and free cd's
    by the time it gets here it should have its full functionality, and thatís a lot trust me if you havenít seen a long long list of all the functions it has
    2 questions though
    1 does it have a DVD-R, a DVD+R, a DVD+RW or a DVD-RW
    and 2 will both versions of it be released in the uk, for those who donít know there are 2 version of it, the only difference being one has a 250GB HDD and the other has a smaller but still huge HDD

Blake
    Cool, although I dont live in Europe. If one of your little rich friends buy one, be sure to take it and knock them upside the head.

Before I post, Hi, nice to meet you all I am new to the forums b/c I am trying to get away from the children in the PS Forums.

I am willing to buy the PSX when/if it is released in the U.S.A. if and only if it is compatible with the PS3 as described in an article via the PS3 Portal below;

"There is also the indication that the PSX will be intrinsically linked with PS3 meaning that existing owners of PSX will not be left out. This could possibly mean that the base version of the PS3 would connect to the PSX to form the ďhome serverĒ version of the PS3"[/i]

Veteran
    Yup thats my article and welcome to the Boards. That was basically leaked information by David Reeves the Sony Europe COO. Unfortunately it doesn't make it set in stone. It is definitely possible though so I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Oh noticed you play Socom. You can post your handle here if you want the PS3forums guys to give you a play:

http://ps3forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=201

Blake
    Well if it and the PS3 do go hand and hand then I might look back into purchasing the PSX.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blake
    Well if it and the PS3 do go hand and hand then I might look back into purchasing the PSX.
    then again there is still the possiblility that there will be 2 ps3's 1 basic and 1 packed full of stuff and will become the sucessor to the psx meaning it will be pointless getting a psx

Blake
    Doh!! You are correct, I forgot this was being considered.

Master Poster

Mixed opinions from devs on Cell programming

Different developers are expressing opposing opinions on developing for the Cell processor.

Punch Jump is reporting that several developers believe it will be "three to four generations of games before the processor can be taken advantage of."

Microsoft's Xbox 360 launched in October 2005, and so developers will have had much more time to adjust to the new hardware. Sony could face problems trying to catch up if developers are struggling to utilise the Cell processor effectively.

"Instead of one potential problem, now you have seven," said Andy Sites, Sony Online Entertainment producer.

However, Seb Downie, Lead Tester for Guerrilla Games, has said quite the opposite. After many people asked about the differences in developing for PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 3, Downie referred to a fellow developer:

"I was chatting to Michiel and he was telling me how crazy-easy it was compared to the PS2 and how much quicker things have been going for them."

In addition, Sony have put a lot of effort into providing middleware tools to make development easier. It's believed this is part of the reason Sony included the NVIDIA "RSX" graphics card. The Cell is said to be capable of handling graphics as well, but a GPU would be a lot more familiar to developers.

The Cell chip is a state-of-the-art processor built from ground-up by Sony, IBM and Toshiba. It features one main PowerPC core, and eight Synergistic Processing Elements, or mini-cores. The chip will form a major part of the PlayStation 3 hardware, but only seven SPEs will be active, in order to improve chip yield.

By Bhavin Shah

Ready for Submission

Master Poster
    Nice piece! Great length, clarity and pace. Live!
    Co-Founder: PSU | Playfire

Thread Information