Superior Member

Will a US PS3 work in Dubai?

I have a friend that would like to buy his nephew a PS3 from the US and ship it to him in Dubai. He is concerned as to whether there will be any issues with the power supply and Blu-ray movies. Here are the questions:

1) I remember a switch on the back of the PS3 that can switch between 110/240V but am not 100% sure as I'm at work right now, but does the power supply work with 240V?

2) I remember reading that the games are not region coded, but can someone confirm this?

3) Also, how is the region-code set for blu-ray movies? Are they pre-set on the machine when you buy them or is it set after activating?

4) Are there any issues between NTSC and PAL when using HDMI?

Thanks for your help.

Sorry i cant answer the first question but i do know this:
    -All the games are region free.
    -For Blu-ray movies look for region code A(region 1).
    -For DVDs also look for region code 1.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    The supply will work 110/220v 60Hz/50Hz so yes it will work in Dubai.

The Blu Ray and DVD region codes are different and yes it's supported on the PS3
    Here's are details on the BR regions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Region_codes

And here it is on the DVD region http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd_region

TAZ427

Power Member
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    As said above, blu-rays are meant to be region locked, but you will find a good majority are actually region free despite what the labels say.

Use this website, it's awesome and covers every blu-ray and whether it is region locked or not.

http://bluray.liesinc.net/

whats the worst that can happen it doesnt then the guy gets a ps3 for himself. good deal.

Apprentice
    I did a bit of reading and it seems that all but the Japanese Ps3s are multi-voltage. However if you're in Dubai it might still be a better idea to buy an European PS3 as the € is relatively low right now and you will have the correct region code.

PS3/180'' screen (Mitsubishi HC4900)
    My Blog

Superior Member

Guys, thanks for all of your help. I will pass this onto my friend.

Edit: I had another question. Are there any issues between NTSC and PAL when using HDMI?

SnowHawk
    no there is no issues using a hdmi on either a Pal Ps3 or an NTSE Ps3.

Apprentice
    The only PAL/NTSC issues may arise when you try to play some NTSC/PAL content on a non-HD TV which only supports the other format. But since you can access the shops for any region from any PS3, why would you do that?

PS3/180'' screen (Mitsubishi HC4900)
    My Blog

Apprentice

1) US ps3 says 110 only but it works with 220v cuz i tried it
    2) all PS3 games (not ps2) are region free... you can play PAL, JAPAN games on the US system
    3) if you buy a US ps3, only region A movies will work
    4)ive not seen any problems in standard def, but for the safe side as long as you are running at resolution 720p+ you wont have any issues cuz its unified

Just wanted to make clear, BC isn't region free. If he cares about backwards compatibility, he'll only be able to play US games.

Superior Member

Great, thanks for all of the help guys!!!

You just need the power converter to work any playstation versions in UAE.
    US playstations are works in 220v. We have to convert it to 110v.
    Buy PlayStation 4 in Dubai

Dedicated Member
    I got a PS3 from the u.s. and am from asia , from another country which has similar voltage specs to uae (220v~), my console says 120v on the back and is not universal voltage, so i have to use a step down voltage converter (110/120-220) to make the console work. I got this ps3 slim in 2009, so unless sony has changed voltage specs on the u.s. ps3 since then, you'll need a voltage converter.

ps3 games though are region free so they'll all work without any issue. Blu-ray movies and dvd's are region locked, blu-ray region A , dvd region 1 (u.s.), so other region encoded movies won't work unless they are region free.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    I got a PS3 from the u.s. and am from asia , from another country which has similar voltage specs to uae (220v~), my console says 120v on the back and is not universal voltage, so i have to use a step down voltage converter (110/120-220) to make the console work. I got this ps3 slim in 2009, so unless sony has changed voltage specs on the u.s. ps3 since then, you'll need a voltage converter.
    Quote Originally Posted by priscirabzo View Post
    You just need the power converter to work any playstation versions in UAE.
    US playstations are works in 220v. We have to convert it to 110v.
    Buy PlayStation 4 in Dubai
    http://community.us.playstation.com/.../td-p/30448533

You don't need an adapter. The internal transformer is universal. Not sure why the slim lists it as 120 only, but it's universal (110-250v, 50-60hz)

Dedicated Member
    No^ that information does not seem to be officially verified (ie by sony). Electrical devices (including those that sony manufactures) that actually house a universal psu have no reason not to state 110-240v 50/60hz on the power labelling. My sony hd camcorder, also bought from the states, mentions the universal voltage specification because it is actually so (i learned that the ps4 also has a universal spec label). However ps3 doesn't, the american model states 120v 60 hz on the back so if you fry the psu sony can't be held liable. I'm stating this because it has happened with me before with a ps3, to the op, do not insert the u.s console directly into the power socket if you are from a 220v country and use a step down converter. If you were to do the opposite, as in plugging a 220v console directly in an american socket, you'd at least be on the safer side and won't fry the psu as all you'd be doing is feeding it lesser voltage. But an american/japanese/taiwanese voltage spec'd ps3 console plugged directly in a 220v socket will end up frying the psu because you'd be feeding it about double the voltage.
    Last edited by rene2kx; 12-22-2013 at 08:39.

Apprentice

IDK, it seems that some ps3 are multivoltage and some arenīt.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3326

I could have sworn that the phats were totally confirmed as mulivoltage yet I just checked my fat and the label says
    220-240v
    wierd

@OP, why take a chance. power converters ainīt that expensive and it might save you money and alot of stress in the long run.

Thread Information