Latest PSU headlines:

PS3 won't recognize MP4

Ok, so I downloaded some MP4 movies and also converted a few with PS3 Video 9 and my PS3 will not recognize any of them. Please help!!!!

Apprentice
    Be a bit more specific. An URL and a description of the problem would be nice. Generally, the PS3 accepts MP4s with AAC and h.264 at profile up to 4.1

PS3/180'' screen (Mitsubishi HC4900)
    My Blog

OK, I downloaded a torrent of Hellboy II that was mp4 format and the ps3 will not recognize it. I also downloaded the naruto shippuuden movie from dattebayo.com that was in mkv then used ps3 video 9 to convert it to mp4, aac and my ps3 won't recognize that either, don't know what else you want to know, I thought me saying it won't work and giving you the format would be enough, and I don't know about giving a URL as its my ps3 we're talking about so thanks in advace for any help.

Forum Sage
    Just convert is to DivX (.avi) if you still cant get it to work on .mp4
    tfw you want to use signatures you made that are saved in DA but this place still have a signature size limitations after all these years
    lol

Apprentice
    lilzuki: the next time somebody asks you that question you might want to answer "I got the trailer from XY". Anyway, do NOT convert it to DivX. Quality will suck if you do.

As the file your trying isn't publicly available, I can just guess what the probem is (I could guess better if you told me the error message or what happens). Assuming it is a codec problem: Try TsMuxerGUI ( http://www.videohelp.com/tools/tsMuxeR ). Add your original Matroska file and look at the description for the individual streams. If the video stream is anything but h.264 we'll have to take a different route, but it probably is. What does it say about the stream? Level 4.1? Something higher? If it's higher, force it to 4.1 (this doesn't always work, but right now we're still guessing). Select M2TS as output format and if you want to put it onto an external HD, set splitting to 4GB. The conversion should be relatively fast and should at least produce a readable file, although it could be that the video is really a higher profile than 4.1, in which case you will have to reencode the video (usually takes about a day or two).

PS3/180'' screen (Mitsubishi HC4900)
    My Blog

leo5111
    if they are mkv you are trying to convert screw video 9 use gotsent problem solved

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by lilzuki View Post
    OK, I downloaded a torrent of Hellboy II that was mp4 format and the ps3 will not recognize it. I also downloaded the naruto shippuuden movie from dattebayo.com that was in mkv then used ps3 video 9 to convert it to mp4, aac and my ps3 won't recognize that either, don't know what else you want to know, I thought me saying it won't work and giving you the format would be enough, and I don't know about giving a URL as its my ps3 we're talking about so thanks in advace for any help.
    There's more to the format then just the file extension name.

That said, just to make sure, are you seeing the file, but it won't try to play it, or are you not seeing the file and believe that the PS3 will not recongnize it?

I the PS3 doesn't see it, and you have it on a flash drive, make sure you're using the correct directory structure name PS3\VIDEO\*****.mp4 or use the Triangle option and search for the file.

TAZ427

Apprentice
    I had the same problem i'm just going to convert this vid to an .avi file though.

I have copied a couple of movies and all i did was register the ps3 to have the divx vod( Your going to need a blank dvdr disk to copy the app. that the divx vod requires so you can play divx movies). I installed the divx player to my pc which should have a converter with the package. Then took the movie .avi files and dragged them to the divx player and burned them to a dvdr disk(since i dont have a memory stick). After that all I had to do is copy the disk onto the PS3 hard drive and I have a divx movie that is playable. I usually download the movies from the torrent site (thepiratebay.org) Just make sure you have a bit torrent to open and download the files.

Apprentice
    Here is my FFMPEG and VLC conversion scripts, any video file to h264/aac videos. MP4 must match to a given profile level to work in PS3, not all profiles are supported.
    http://koti.mbnet.fi/akini/ps3/convertFFMPEG.zip

Thread Information