Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Sage

Request Guide *READ BEFORE POSTING!*

I've been accepting signature requests with others for a long time. Most people know how to ask while others don't. I made this thread to try and improve the quality of requests to maximise interest.

Be descriptive
    You need to provide enough information so that a complete stranger will understand your request. Read through your post and ask yourself if you were some random guy on the internet, would you understand what to do?

Don't Write
    i wod like a sig of a game. plz.
    Do Write
    I was wondering if someone would be able to make me a signature with the Helghast from Killzone 2. I would like the signature to be 400x120 and will offer 1000 SP as a reward.

Here are the images/themes that I would like used:
    ----

I don't mind about how you set it out. Be imaginative!
    A reward
    Many members of this forum won't want a reward all the time. However, it is a nice thing to have to make the time spent on the signature more worth while. You don't need to offer tons of SP but at least give all entrants a rep!

Don't overcomplicate things
    All people that take on requests are usually very happy to do so. However, if you ask for too much, you may not even get one reply. This is rare but can happen.

Don't Write
    I would like a 400x120 sized Killzone 2 signature. I would like you to use these images: image1.jpg, image2.png, image3.png, image4.jpg and image5.png.

You need to use EVERY image. Put the first one on the left, the second part of the second one on the right, the last bit of the third one in the middle and the top part of the fourth one at the top. Put image 5 over everything.
    Be nice
    Most people are nice on these forums. Occasionally you will get the 'cool' rebel who will have an attitude problem. Be nice and people will try and help. If no one takes up a request within a day, keep waiting. Don't double post and swear. People are doing this especially for you. Give them credit.

Give feedback
    If someone has taken the time to make you a signature, the least you can do is explain to them why you haven't chosen theirs. Also, reply to each entrant telling them what you think of the signature and how they can improve. However bad the signature may be, you should give them some feedback.

Thread title
    Use an appropriate thread title that you think people will look at. Put in the theme of the wanted signature if possible and maybe put the reward.

Don't Write
    me want a sigz nao!
    Do Write
    I would like a Killzone 2 signature please - 1,000 SP Reward
    Stick to your deadline
    Set a deadline for all entries to be in and stick to it. If you know you're going to be away, tell people. This will limit the number of posts made by the same person asking when you will be back. Be sure to try and keep up with entries and reply to each entrant.

Know the rules
    It's no point asking for something that isn't allowed. The maximum signature size for normal members, mods and SMC members is 500x120 (pixels). For members of the DS, its 520x140 and for subscribers, its 550x160. An avatar can be up to 120x120. This is most important for the entrants but if you're requesting something, don't ask for things that can't be done. Be sure to read the rules.

Changing signatures
    If someone has spent a lot of time making you a signature, the least you can do is use it for a while. I know some people who change their signatures very often. This isn't very fair to those who worked on the signatures. Have some respect. A new signature request every month is a good time scale.

That's it for now. I'll add more things later when I get back home. Happy requesting.

gruddy gruddy gruddy gruddy

The Godless Heathen
    i agree ,better the way of requesting - better the sig

& also if your not happy with a guys sig & not getting what you want from any of the guys trying to make you a sig please explain to him what he has done wrong or what you would like done insted before you start ranting that your not getting what you want altho you are paying a massive amount of sp ...

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    ...And sometimes if there are certain things that you really want in a signature and are worried people might miss little details when you post your request, you can put the most important parts in bold so people can instantly notice it. It sounds pretty basic but it does help!

Master Sage
    I always find it helpful when people put what kind of signature they want in the topic title, and what they're offering. It's not because I'm a greedy *******, honestly.

Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul.

Community Manager
    I like this and I've moved it to the sig request forum and stickied it.

I thought there was a similar thread on this before though?

Elite Sage
    I'm not sure about similar threads.

If there were any, it doesn't look like they have worked very well. Thanks for the sticky. The only reason I posted this in the main section was because it wasn't a request and more people would have seen it.

Community Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by gruddy View Post
    I'm not sure about similar threads.

If there were any, it doesn't look like they have worked very well. Thanks for the sticky. The only reason I posted this in the main section was because it wasn't a request and more people would have seen it.
    Yeah, but I thought it might be better here where people actually request it.

Although, I suppose unless it's flashing and labelled 'read before posting' I don't think many people will read it either way..

Apprentice
    I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this, but I didn't want to start a new thread.

Is it ok if I make my own sig?

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Quote Originally Posted by okapiuk View Post
    I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this, but I didn't want to start a new thread.

Is it ok if I make my own sig?
    Yeah thats fine Just have to make sure they fit the size limits, so because your a regular member the size limits are 500x120 pixels for a signature and the size limits for an avatar are 120x120 pixels.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Yeah thats fine Just have to make sure they fit the size limits, so because your a regular member the size limits are 500x120 pixels for a signature and the size limits for an avatar are 120x120 pixels.
    Thank you Sylar.
    But it says 100x100 pixels for avatar (which is what I used) and 480x100 pixels for signature in my User cp. Maybe it's because I'm new..?

Community Manager
    Probably just hasn't been updated, the avatars were changed a few months ago. Just go by the rules which state 500x120 as well.

http://ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=337

Apprentice
    Ok, I will do that, thank you.

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Quote Originally Posted by okapiuk View Post
    Thank you Sylar.
    But it says 100x100 pixels for avatar (which is what I used) and 480x100 pixels for signature in my User cp. Maybe it's because I'm new..?
    Edit: looks like carocat beat me to it haha

A little tip in photoshop for reducing the KB of your signature/avatar but still keeping the quality is once you've finished making it, save the .psd and then go to Save As and save it as a JPEG file at maximum quality. When it's saved, open the JPEG image then click File > Save for Web & Devices. You can change the quality down from Maximum to Very High, High, Medium and Low to make the image under 35KB. This doesnt actually lower the quality of the image, just the size. Sounds weird but it works haha

Apprentice
    That sounds like a useful tip - I didn't know about that. Going to try it later.
    Thanks again!

I'm A Monster!
    Items User name style
    thanks for this thread makes it easier to know what the design squad is looking for in requests plus it makes everyones job easier and will improve quality because sig makers will know what the person would like

Sig By FinalReaper.
    Socom/Trophy Card.

Lunar_Chaos
    Great thread. Good for people who are new to forums.

I have seen a few threads that don't really justify what kind of sig that they want, When people try there best to do it. They moan. Phffffff.

Community Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by FT9 View Post
    I have seen a few threads that don't really justify what kind of sig that they want, When people try there best to do it. They moan. Phffffff.
    It's called being picky, perhaps?

Flamer
    Oh, I only just saw this thread. Yeah, thanks for doing this. This should improve how requests are made, now.

Forum Elder
    Noted!

with that I'm off to make my thread...

wow u made a thread about this(in a nice way) thats cool

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ^Add me id:davidj97^ Donate skill points please
    Games: Killzone2, GTA:IV, Madden 09, Army of Two, Need For Speed:Pro Street

Apprentice

Good guide/help aided me

Super Elite
    It's a good guide to see an approchable way and how to encourage people for thier work if you are new to this. From the request point of view.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    I have a question:

Say you're looking through some old requests from a matter of months ago, and you see an avatar that was made for and never used by the requester. Are you aloud to use this avatar as your own? Or must other precautions be taken beforehand?

Thanks for anyone who can answer this for me.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by SchaffinOSX View Post
    I have a question:

Say you're looking through some old requests from a matter of months ago, and you see an avatar that was made for and never used by the requester. Are you aloud to use this avatar as your own? Or must other precautions be taken beforehand?

Thanks for anyone who can answer this for me.
    Well there isn't really a rule for this but I would re-use it.

Thread Information