Master Poster

In-game ads: the way of the future?

http://general.gamerfeed.com/gf/pr/6086

Well it looks like this is the future of things to come. Personally, I dont have a problem with it as long as the ads are unobtrusive and fit into the games (and hopefully bring the price down a bit!); but when they start to become in-your-face and there are tons of them then I aint gonna be too happy.

What do you think?
    Co-Founder: PSU | Playfire

Veteran
    Well if they do put adds in games then that would really put me off. I've all ready noticed a few leaking onto the latest games. It seems unlikely to me that adverts would bring down the price of games; more likely just help the publishers make more money. The game industry is very lucrative and I think advertisers would be willing to pay a fine sum to display their ads in certain video games. Hopefully this doesn’t happen, but It probably will eventually .

Dedicated Member
    then again adds in say GTA would make it more relistic, instead of always hearing about pogo the monkey on the radio we might get add's for other rockstar games and latest cars and well u get what im saying
    i dont think having ad's in games is a bad thing unless they go over the top and really shve them in your face, if they do that then i wont buy the game

Blake
    Hmm the trend of having ads in games started in the late years of the original Playstation. All the sports games began to have them around that time...but what ya seem to be saying is...well I dont know what ya are saying.

Master Poster
    What they are talking about is trailors like what you get when you rent a film, and big massive bilboards for Pepsi when you're running around killing ogres. That sort of stuff.

They have had ads around the size of stadiums in sports games for ages, but they are there to also create realism (they wouldnt have been there if there wasnt actually ads around the sides in real life - you know?)

Blake
    Ok, I understand now. If they are to have ingame adds I'd prefer it be feasible for the game. Something like having Billboards in GTA or GranTurismo. It would be stupid to see a friggin add show up in the enviroment in say a Final Fantasy game or Jax and Dexter. I guess these are the type of games they could use trailors on.

Dedicated Member
    yea and what i was saying with GTA is instead of having made up ads on the radio they could have real 1's

Blake
    Yea I got that, they'd problly be a bit intrusive though...but cool.

Master Poster

Call of Duty & Spider-Man for PS3

Updated job listings are, once again, giving indications of new developments for Sony's PlayStation 3.

The job positions of Programmer, Tools Programmer and Graphics Programmer are for Treyarch Development Studio, and are needed for two Activision-published games, specifically Spider-Man and Call of Duty.

Although it is well known that Activision is involved with these two popular franchises, the job listings state that the recruitment is for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

It is believed that with the next Spider-Man movie due out in 2007, the game that will appear on PlayStation 3 will coincide with the movie release. Unfortunely, no other information has been revealed. Call of Duty is an even more mysterious title, as the PS3 iteration could follow a port of Call of Duty 3 from PC, or may go in the direction of the Treyarch-produced "Big Red One".

We'll keep you up to date on any developments.

By Bhavin Shah

Ready for Submission

Master Poster
    Good work! Live!

Thread Information