Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Apprentice

How do I get AVI files to play on the PS3

Another member said he uses AVI format to play videos on his PS3, how do I do this? I have converted my .vob dvd file over to AVI Divx Codec, but it says unsupported data.

I know I could convert it to MP4, Mpeg, etc but I need something with great picture quality and not take up a lot of space.

Gaming Guru
    Theres more to it then just AVI. You have your video codecs and audio codecs. They may not be supported by the PS3. I use AVI files but that is how I get them and they all work fine for me. I don't know how to fix what you are doing though. Not that tech savvy.

Go to the Video settings and make sure you have enabled the Divx Codec.

Master Poster
    All my movies on my PS3 are AVI and i didn't have to do anything to make them work.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Items LBP ColeLBP SephirothLBP KratosLBP HelgastLBP EzioLBP Cloud
    I just use the Divx player to burn my AVI files onto a dvd...

"When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."

i just use a program called Dr.Divx (its free and easy to use with great quality) and never have had a problem.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Apprentice
    Go to the Video settings and make sure you have enabled the Divx Codec.
    I don't see this anywhere could you be more specific as to where it's at.

i just use a program called Dr.Divx (its free and easy to use with great quality) and never have had a problem.
    Is the file already in .AVI before you use Dr. Divx? Does that program just put the codec into the file? I can't find it anywhere for free, they're all free to try.

you can get it here http://labs.divx.com/DrDivX
    it converts from most formats to divx which the ps3 can play pretty well. try it and c how it goes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dedicated Member
    i have TONS of movies in AVI format. 99% work but theres been some odd ones lately. any new movie that comes out (say Step Brothers) it says unsupported or Wall-E will say the same thing. Its a Divx/AVI just like the rest but for some reason it says unsupported.
    120gb Slim - 46" Sony Bravia - 70 Blu's - 7 games
    Denon 1610 - JBL SCenter - JBL S38s - Polk PSW110 - Polk Ti50's
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Join the Gun Owners Club

Make sure your up to date on the latest PS3 firmware. Go to settings>Video> then there should be something saying DivX codec. Enable it thats what I did and then everything works.

Dedicated Member
    is the DivX thing on PS3 where you have to register some code? is it something that should be done to stream movies or what?
    120gb Slim - 46" Sony Bravia - 70 Blu's - 7 games
    Denon 1610 - JBL SCenter - JBL S38s - Polk PSW110 - Polk Ti50's
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Join the Gun Owners Club

Well it seems that I'm having a similar problem - I was able to play one movie on the PS3 (Transporter 3) and everything else just says unsupported data. Can anyone be more specific on what was stated above about "going to video settings and enabling the Divx Codec"? I don't see it. Any other ideas would be great as well.

Apprentice
    You need to download a program called "Gspot" it tells you what kind of codec the movie will need. Next download Quick Media Converter and hit expert mode and select .AVI then select the codec that Gspot tells you to use and everything will work.

BUT

It takes up more space, but Mpeg2 is a lot better quality than AVI, say an AVI file takes 1gb, a Mpeg 2 will take up around 4gb. I'm currently trying to find out how to transfer a .VOB file (actual DVD format) to my PS3. I got the video to transfer fine, but no audio so I'm still working on it.

Thanks Tucks! I'll try that and see how it comes out

Apprentice
    np, but I've about got it to where I can back up a dvd and put it straight on my PS3 w/o any loss in quality.

You need to download Nero MediaHome 4. I'm using it to stream files to my PS3 and it's SUPER easy. The only problem I'm having now is getting the .VOB files to play the audio on the PS3, they'll do it on my laptop, but not on there.

I have all the codec that I need on my laptop but how to get them to the PS3? I use Gordian Knot codec Pack on all my computers. Did you add codec to the PS3 or just change around some settings?

Apprentice
    Well at the time what I was doing was taking the file and running gspot to find out what codec I needed. Then I'd open up Quick Media Converter, open the file up in it, go to expert mode, and select the codec that gspot told me it needed. Then it played fine, just didn't have that good of a picture quality.

Hrmm ... If I could figure out how to get the PS3 to read my external then I would be just fine. I dunno what the deal is - it was fine to read the first movie I put on it and after that it has been the biggest pain

Apprentice
    I know what you need.... an 80GB hard drive. I'll sell ya one that's 2 months old!

lol! 80?? That's it ... you should have bought bigger I actually just about another hard drive because I'm going to Afghanistan for year and would like to bring as many movies as I can. I wont be doing anything but work and going to the gym, so movies is what I'll be doing in my down time. I just need to figure this **** out. Isn't there a PS3 Help line to call or something??

Just got it working - I downloaded Divx Installer 6.8 converter & Divx 2.0.1 Beta7. Once you download both it'll put Dr. Divx on the Desktop. Open that up and then put your video in there under "Input Files" -- Select "Batch" from the menu above -- next select "configure" & that's it. It'll automatically convert audio & video to Divx format and place it in its own folder on your computer. When you get done just upload it to your PS3 (or you can use USB) and it'll play with no problems. That's how I did it - hope that helps

Apprentice
    Check this out, I found out how to do it w/o any loss in A/V quality:
    http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread....92#post3676692

What codecs am I looking for?
    I have a few divx movies/shows that play fine on the PC, but not on the PS3.

Quote Originally Posted by tucks20s View Post
    Another member said he uses AVI format to play videos on his PS3, how do I do this? I have converted my .vob dvd file over to AVI Divx Codec, but it says unsupported data.

I know I could convert it to MP4, Mpeg, etc but I need something with great picture quality and not take up a lot of space.
    Have you got windows movie maker? if so run the file through it and it will change it to an acceptable format without changing the quality.

I use nidesoft video converter. Convert video formats .

Thread Information