Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcav View Post
    The wii is the iphone of the console industry. It's as simple as that. It's not great, it's not even really inovative, it's not even cheap!

But as a fashion accessory, it's the must have item.

"Cool you have a Wii - they are awesome at parties!!"

I've considered a Wii time and time again, only for logic to change my mind. Unless I'm having a party, it will sit doing absolutely nothing (not gathering dust, I keep my house clean). But nevertheless, There are NO killer aps coming out at all that are only for Wii. I mean nothing that can compare to the likes of Gears of War, or Uncharted. There are games like mario galaxy which looks very good indeed, but the rest are straight up short lifespan party games.

And it's not like I can't get party games on the PS3. LBP, singstar and Buzz is more than enough for a full on party.

Back on topic.

When this whole console generation is done, we will all be talking about why Sony did the right thing. Some people can't see any further than their noses. Sony is currently selling at as good, or better rate than they did with the PS2. In 2 years they sold 17 million consoles. That's more than 23200 per day!

What makes people think that this is a bad thing is because it's behind it's competition. What people refuse to see or are unable to see is that the competition will be onto another console within 2 years. The PS3 will continue to sell ad be developed for. It's called a 10 year plan for a reason. The PS3 will be supported and available for 10 years.

That doesn't mean that the next playstation console won't be out for 10 years, my guess is that we will see the next playstation console for sale in Japan 7 years and 7 months after the Japanese launch of the PS3. (I think the PS3 was launched November 2006, so I'm expecting the next Playstation to be out on May 2014, regardless of what the competition do)
    You seem like the type who just hates popular things becasue they are popular. 1st off, the Iphone is actually incredible. It does soooo many things and does all of them well. It's actually even a good gaming system.

2nd, the Wii is very innovative. It completely changed how people play games. Happen to notice how Wii Fit is doing? Don't try telling me that's not innovative.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Endgame77 View Post
    You seem like the type who just hates popular things becasue they are popular. 1st off, the Iphone is actually incredible. It does soooo many things and does all of them well. It's actually even a good gaming system.
    Doesn't the iPhone have like a 2MP camera and can't to MMS?

silentmemory
    Quote Originally Posted by sergeriver View Post
    They managed to end 2008 even in sales with the X360 which costs half the price.
    That has yet to be determined, certainly in the ball park though. But I'm not convinced keeping pace with a console with a terrible reputation for reliability, all the while losing money and market share is a particularly good thing, especially considering Sony's massive advantage in brand loyalty/awareness. And breathe

They reach a point where they aren't losing money because of the lower production cost.
    Not yet they haven't, and possibly not for some time to come.

So, now, with the incredible PS3 exclusives for this year they can produce some major impact on the market.
    No, not now, those exclusives are still up to a year away from making any impact.

Let's suppose they drop the PS3 price to $299 the very same week KZ2 is out, with a KZ2 bundle being released. That would translate in an incredible sales boost, leaving MS without response, even if they cut the price again.
    If MGS4 didn't give an 'incredible' sales boost, I'm not sure KZ2 will. Assuming it is a system seller, they'd do better waiting until after the game's sales have started trailing off before cutting the console price.

The PS3 already showed it sells no matter how expensive it is
    In which case, perhaps Sony should be increasing the price?

At $299 the PS3 should be able to take the lead of this gen.
    Nope, no way, no how. Never gonna happen.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor1981 View Post
    Doesn't the iPhone have like a 2MP camera and can't to MMS?
    It does MMS now via a free 3rd party app readily available on the Apps store. Yes, it has a 2MP camera, it's a phone, not a high end camera.

Seriously, until you've played with one you have no idea how amazing it is. I wouldn't have thought so before getting it, but the insane amount of apps, the accellerometer, touch screen, etc make it incredible.

I can sit at home and control my pc from it, I can remote to my pc anywhere with it and see my desktop. Not to mention the very intuitive ipod component which puts all past ipods to shame, excluding the touch obviously which is essentially the Iphone minus a couple features.

To bring this back to gaming, check the IGN section for Iphone game reviews, notice the amount of games which score 8.0+. I've actually stopped using my DS since I got it. Can NOT wait for Metal Gear on it. Kojima will use all it's features to their fullest, I have no doubt of that.

Forum Guru
    I don't get the iPhone & Wii comparison. The analogy is flawed especially when the iPhone is an expensive product and not even a product for the family.

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    sergeriver, i love and applaud for you optimism regarding the PS3. But Sony have still gotta lot of work to do to overtake the 360, overtake the wii, not gonna happen sadly (the wii, as much as i loathe it, is unstoppable!)

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Superior Member
    It does MMS now via a free 3rd party app readily available on the Apps store. Yes, it has a 2MP camera, it's a phone, not a high end camera.
    I would really like one to be honest. But I use my phone to take lots of photos, so I'll keep my fingers crossed and money saved that the next one will have a better camera. To keep on topic, I'll also wait till the Wii 2 goes HD!

Edit: What am I saying...I would never get a Wii unless I had kids. Just being honest.

Master Poster

you just have to accept the fact that nothing is going to come close to the juggernaut that is Wii...so lets forget about them...for now lol

people still forget that the PS3 does MORE things than both the Wii and the 360:

Plays games(duh)
    its a blu-ray player(theyre $250 alone)
    streaming media
    bluetooth
    internet browsing(Wii has this also)
    FREE PSN(they have to pay for upkeep somehow)

so yea the $400 price point is justified...

thats the way I look at it

PSN ID/Live GT: Evoking1230

Elite Guru

2nd, the Wii is very innovative. It completely changed how people play games. Happen to notice how Wii Fit is doing? Don't try telling me that's not innovative.
    Iphone is good?

You mean the web browser that doesn't have full Java support? Or maybe you mean the lack of MMS support, or perhaps you mean the 2 megapixel camera with no flash and no video. Perhaps you are talking about being forced into using itunes for your music needs, or maybe an organiser that doesn't work properly with windows. Maybe you're talking about the fact that it is 3G where every other top line handset is 3.5G. You could of course be referring to it's non fully compliant wi-fi... I don't know, there are so many features of the iphone.

Seriously, until you've played with one you have no idea how amazing it is. I wouldn't have thought so before getting it, but the insane amount of apps, the accellerometer, touch screen, etc make it incredible.

I can sit at home and control my pc from it, I can remote to my pc anywhere with it and see my desktop. Not to mention the very intuitive ipod component which puts all past ipods to shame, excluding the touch obviously which is essentially the Iphone minus a couple features.
    Wow - a 3rd party piece of software now allows MMS, why can't apple do that out the box?

And it's not a high end camera? It's just a phone right? So why is it that every other phone is cheaper and has a MUCH better camera?

I've played with both generations of the Iphone and once you get past the Oooh touch screen, you realise how absolutely GARBAGE it is. The samsung Omnia urinates all over it, not to mention the top of the line Nokia handsets. Then you have the Blackberry Storm which makes the iphone look like a babies toy!

I can control my PC AND PS3 using my N96, as well as use the phone as a full media server as well as browse all files on my network. I have even more apps for my N96 via Nokia downloads and Mosh, a built in accelerometer is nothing new on phones and then all you have left is the touchscreen and a bloody large footprint.

As for the Wii being inovative, Standing on a balance board and believing it is getting you fit is NOT my idea of fun. Also it is in no way a replacement for REAL excercise or a healthy diet.

But then you may be thinking that motion sensitive controls are the innovation here. There was me thinking that my gestures and motions were controling eye toy play in the PS2 years ago. Not to mention swinging my sixaxis to bowl, keep balance and also hitting things. I'm not saying that Nintendo did not implement it well, all I'm saying is that it's nothing new.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor1981 View Post
    I would really like one to be honest. But I use my phone to take lots of photos, so I'll keep my fingers crossed and money saved that the next one will have a better camera. To keep on topic, I'll also wait till the Wii 2 goes HD!

Edit: What am I saying...I would never get a Wii unless I get kids. Just being honest.
    To each his own

Dedicated Member

Iphone is good?

You mean the web browser that doesn't have full Java support? Or maybe you mean the lack of MMS support, or perhaps you mean the 2 megapixel camera with no flash and no video. Perhaps you are talking about being forced into using itunes for your music needs, or maybe an organiser that doesn't work properly with windows. Maybe you're talking about the fact that it is 3G where every other top line handset is 3.5G. You could of course be referring to it's non fully compliant wi-fi... I don't know, there are so many features of the iphone.

Wow - a 3rd party piece of software now allows MMS, why can't apple do that out the box?

And it's not a high end camera? It's just a phone right? So why is it that every other phone is cheaper and has a MUCH better camera?

I've played with both generations of the Iphone and once you get past the Oooh touch screen, you realise how absolutely GARBAGE it is. The samsung Omnia urinates all over it, not to mention the top of the line Nokia handsets. Then you have the Blackberry Storm which makes the iphone look like a babies toy!

I can control my PC AND PS3 using my N96, as well as use the phone as a full media server as well as browse all files on my network. I have even more apps for my N96 via Nokia downloads and Mosh, a built in accelerometer is nothing new on phones and then all you have left is the touchscreen and a bloody large footprint.

As for the Wii being inovative, Standing on a balance board and believing it is getting you fit is NOT my idea of fun. Also it is in no way a replacement for REAL excercise or a healthy diet.

But then you may be thinking that motion sensitive controls are the innovation here. There was me thinking that my gestures and motions were controling eye toy play in the PS2 years ago. Not to mention swinging my sixaxis to bowl, keep balance and also hitting things. I'm not saying that Nintendo did not implement it well, all I'm saying is that it's nothing new.
    Look, you can try and convince yourself all you want ithe Iphone is not terribly good, but most people would disagree. You'll notice pretty much every review of it gives it nothing but glowing reviews. Seriously, if you think the Blackberry Storm is better than an Iphone I don't even know what to say. I guess you didn't hear the Storm was Blackberry's biggest failure to date and it has been pretty much dead on arrival.

As for apps, yeah a lot of stuff was added to the Iphone via free apps. Actually, the app store is one of the best features of the Iphone. Thousands upon thousands of apps to do countless things.

Also, if you can't see how the Wii is innovative than you don't understand what innovative is.

Btw, enjoy Metal Gear on your N96, oh wait......

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Sorry, but Sony did not end this year even with the 360 based on initial reports out there, they fell even further behind. The latest estimate is they're roughly 8 million consoles behind now.

Also, they are still losing roughly 30$ per console at 400$.

Lastly, why do some of you seem to think people only bought the 360 because it's cheaper? I know this might be hard to believe, but a lot of people think it's the better console. Outsell the Wii? Sorry, not going to hapen. That'd be like saying a Gamecube price cut last gen would have propelled it past the PS2.
    Pretty simple. When the PS3 received a price cut, it started outselling the 360. When the 360 received a price cut, it started outselling the PS3. Sure, many just wanted the 360 more than the PS3 and vice versa. But shifts in sales following price adjustments aren't just coincidence. The 360 is outselling the PS3 right now because of its price.

Iphone is good?

Sure, iPhone isn't going to be everything to everybody. For me, it is simply the best handheld device I have ever owned. The phone, the touch screen, the iPod, the App Store......it is simply a great phone. In light of all that, am I missing MMS? Nope. A better camera? Nope. There are so many features of the iPhone that you are dismissing offhand. If it isn't for you....fine, but obviously it is doing just fine in the market

BTW, iPhone is 3.5G, but what do you mean it is not fully compliant wi-fi?
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Super Elite
    The wii is the iphone of the console industry. It's as simple as that. It's not great, it's not even really inovative, it's not even cheap!

But as a fashion accessory, it's the must have item.

"Cool you have a Wii - they are awesome at parties!!"

I've considered a Wii time and time again, only for logic to change my mind. Unless I'm having a party, it will sit doing absolutely nothing (not gathering dust, I keep my house clean). But nevertheless, There are NO killer aps coming out at all that are only for Wii. I mean nothing that can compare to the likes of Gears of War, or Uncharted. There are games like mario galaxy which looks very good indeed, but the rest are straight up short lifespan party games.

And it's not like I can't get party games on the PS3. LBP, singstar and Buzz is more than enough for a full on party.

Back on topic.

When this whole console generation is done, we will all be talking about why Sony did the right thing. Some people can't see any further than their noses. Sony is currently selling at as good, or better rate than they did with the PS2. In 2 years they sold 17 million consoles. That's more than 23200 per day!

What makes people think that this is a bad thing is because it's behind it's competition. What people refuse to see or are unable to see is that the competition will be onto another console within 2 years. The PS3 will continue to sell ad be developed for. It's called a 10 year plan for a reason. The PS3 will be supported and available for 10 years.

That doesn't mean that the next playstation console won't be out for 10 years, my guess is that we will see the next playstation console for sale in Japan 7 years and 7 months after the Japanese launch of the PS3. (I think the PS3 was launched November 2006, so I'm expecting the next Playstation to be out on May 2014, regardless of what the competition do)

And as for family games on PS3.

LBP, Buzz, Singstar are 3 I've mentioned already. Everybody's golf is another game which is easy for the whole family and fun to watch. You want family fun games with the same depth and ease of play that the Wii has? Visit the PSN for games like Elefunk, Snakeball, Calling all cars and so on. I don't have my PS3 on or I could go into list mode, but the point here being is that these games have all the depth of a full price "party" game on the Wii, they have the same ease of access, but cost about 5!
    The PS2 sold close to 100 million units in the first 5 years it was out, the PS3 has about 20 million units out the door after 2 years and a few months, to keep up with that pace the PS3 needs to start selling 25 million units every 12 months for the next 3 years.
    I think Jessica Alba showing up at my front door wearing nothing but a wet t-shirt is more likley to happen.

Real sad to see an optimistic thread get shot down.

Maybe it was better not to make this thread. The PS3 is doomed to stay in third place and noooooooooothing will evvvvvvvvvvvvar change that.

Personally, I think you have a few points in your thread. Maybe it was a right move for Sony not to drop the price but then again it's risky. I would have to agree that parents/people who don't do research ONLY care about cheap alternatives during a time like this. And I'm sorry Endgame but I don't believe the reason why the 360/Wii are selling is because they're better.

It's the price.

A $400.00 console is scary for people during this economic climate.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by minddaze View Post
    Real sad to see an optimistic thread get shot down.

Maybe it was better not to make this thread. The PS3 is doomed to stay in third place and noooooooooothing will evvvvvvvvvvvvar change that.

Personally, I think you have a few points in your thread. Maybe it was a right move for Sony not to drop the price but then again it's risky. I would have to agree that parents/people who don't do research ONLY care about cheap alternatives during a time like this. And I'm sorry Endgame but I don't believe the reason why the 360/Wii are selling is because they're better.

It's the price.

A $400.00 console is scary for people during this economic climate.
    Nowhere did I say they're selling more because they are better. I asked why some people here seem to think the only reason people by 360s/Wiis is because they are cheaper.

Most people here seems to think those people who are on the fence would buy a PS3 following a price cut. Well, who's to say just as many people were waiting for a 360 price cut and when the price was cut they picked one up. It works both ways....

I have no doubt if the PS3 was 100$ less than the 360 that the PS3 would be in the lead slightly, people would still by 360s though.

Nowhere did I say they're selling more because they are better. I asked why some people here seem to think the only reason people by 360s/Wiis is because they are cheaper.

Most people here seems to think those people who are on the fence would buy a PS3 following a price cut. Well, who's to say just as many people were waiting for a 360 price cut and when the price was cut they picked one up. It works both ways....

I have no doubt if the PS3 was 100$ less than the 360 that the PS3 would be in the lead slightly, people would still by 360s though.
    Then I misinterpreted you and I'm sorry.

To me, I think people are going for the Wii and the 360 because once again they're cheaper. You may disagree with me but if the PS3 was priced different (cheaper), I'm pretty sure it would be selling more. Or maybe the two systems have games people want and the PS3 has games people don't want.

If the PS3 sold 17+ million in the space of two years with that kind of price...don't you think they could sell even more if they do a pricecut? Selling 17+ million is nothing short of amazing...if I'm not mistaken. Sony may be in third place but I find that to be ridiculously insane.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple

Who is saying price is the "only" reason? I don't think anyone is suggesting that no one buys a 360 for any other reason than price. Price is a major factor however in console sales, obviously. Heck, when the PS3 was $50 MORE than the 360 it outsold it. So obviously a lot of people were seeing a better value in the PS3 at that price point. Right now, obviously most are seeing better value in the 360.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Forum Sage
    LBP isn't a familly game. A familly game is something everyone can play, you take turns it's just fun for everyone, including those watching. Wii Sports is the ultimate familly game, but it also can be a gamers game as the controls are actually very good.

LBP is more of an "art" game in my book. It's like those great movies that come out in the fall that get nominated for all the awards, yet next to no one goes to see. Mind you, I love what LBP stands for, I consider it, Ico, SOTC, etc, in the same vein. Games that push teh artisitic bounds of gaming. Not really a familly game though.
    People don't run their lives by your book so you can't correct him on something you believe as art. That is how YOU are choosing to look at it, that doesn't translate into the game not being a "family" game.

It can be and it is. Your opinion isn't the end all be all. My friend whose family aren't gamers love LBP. I've had people over who don't play games that loved playing LBP. It is easy to pick up for them. These are just some examples.

Veteran
    Many of you may think Sony is wrong for not cutting the price. When MS cut the price everyone went like "OMG what are you doing Sony". But let's give them some credit. They managed to end 2008 even in sales with the X360 which costs half the price. They reach a point where they aren't losing money because of the lower production cost.
    Yes, that is what will certainly happen. There are certain armchair amateurs that are always trying to impose their inexperienced, ignorant and childishly opinionated sense of agenda on what Sony should be and shouldn't be doing with their console videogame market. This isn't new, they were doing it when Sony came out with the original Playstation and when they came out with the Playstation 2 and now with the Playstation 3. So far, these witless amateurs have been wrong 2 out of the 3, and the 3rd is only in progress.

This is the back stretch of the race track and I have yet to see a horse race or car race or motorcycle race or foot race where some moron that is ahead of one contender by a slight amount, suddenly stops and starts jumping up and down about how they have won even though there is another contender far in advance of both. But this does seem to be happening in this 3 contender race.

This one contender has already used their nitro to pull slightly ahead but they are spent. Sony has some huge nitro tanks and they haven't even kicked them in yet.

Still NOT Better Than Cuguy
    Items Bruce WillisBrad PittChristian BaleInfinity WardGoogle ChromeModern Warfare 3AppleFacebook LogoUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'm sure if Sony could then they would lower the price. The only reason they aren't is because the PS3 costs quite a bit to produce and even though the costs are coming down, Sony still need to make a profit. Once the production costs have come down, so will the retail price.

Add me on Steam: VintageElise

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    People don't run their lives by your book so you can't correct him on something you believe as art. That is how YOU are choosing to look at it, that doesn't translate into the game not being a "family" game.

It can be and it is. Your opinion isn't the end all be all. My friend whose family aren't gamers love LBP. I've had people over who don't play games that loved playing LBP. It is easy to pick up for them. These are just some examples.
    Sorry but peopel aren't going to gather around the tv as a familly and play LBP in general. The Wii on the other hand built it's whole business around this. Pretty much every commercial even shows famillies playing it together

Btw, I can state my opinion, just like you can. I seriosuly don't think many people picked up LBP as a familly game. Actually, like Ico and SOTC, I'd venture it's mostly the diehard gamers who accounted for the majority of LBP copies sold.

Dedicated Member
    You show no facts.
    1. 360 may have sold more in '08
    2. Sony wont price cut when the Ps3 is about to break even.
    3. Even if there was a price cut, it will never match Wii's sale since 360 cant come close to the WII when its cheaper.
    4. Sony's advertising in the US is overshadowed by 360/Wii

LBP.
    LBP isnt as good as rockband/GH/Wii sports when it comes to interactivity. Thats why the wii is still the best selling console and will dominate this generation. Ps3 and 360 will compete for second.

-removed the insult to Sergeriver. Do not insult other members, that sort of behavior is not tolerated on PS3Forums. - CUGUY (SMC)
    PSN ID: Pasawarrior
    Games: GoW Collections---Warhawk---COD:MW2---MGS4---PJ Eden---PJ Mosnters---Locoroco Cocoreccho---Mortal Combat 2---UT3---Killzone 2---Uncharted 2

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by silentmemory View Post
    If MGS4 didn't give an 'incredible' sales boost, I'm not sure KZ2 will. Assuming it is a system seller, they'd do better waiting until after the game's sales have started trailing off before cutting the console price.
    MGS4 didn't give incredible' sales boost ?

you are kidding us.. right? right?

MGS4 boost the sales of PS3 in U.S from 209K in may 008 to 406k in jun 008 .. if that wasn't incredible' sales boost then i don't know what it is.

And at that point I'm pretty confident that the PS3 will even outsell the Wii.
    Maybe a week, I'll even give you 2. The world (not me) loves the Wii. Have you been paying attention?

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by XD View Post
    You are just w/o facts.
    1. 360 sold more in '08
    2. Sony wont price cut when the Ps3 is about to break even.
    3. Even if there was a price cut, it will never match Wii's sale since 360 cant come close to the WII when its cheaper.
    4. Sony's advertising in the US is overshadowed by 360/Wii

LBP isnt as good as rockband/GH/Wii sports when it comes to interactivity. Thats why the wii is still the best selling console and will dominate this generation. Ps3 and 360 will compete for second.
    I presented facts, I'm a gamer since I was a kid and I own an MBA. I didn't come up with some crazy idea that Sony will cut the price out of my ***. Even MS knows they are about to cut the price. Do your research. Please, don't call other people fanboy when you don't know **** about them, thx.
    PLAYING: DRIVER SAN FRANCISCO, TEAM ICO HD COLLECTION, BF3 BETA.
    GETTING: UNCHARTED 3, BATTLEFIELD 3, TWISTED METAL, LAST GUARDIAN (RELASE DATE?)

Thread Information