Veteran
    PSN ID
    SomaXD
    Items PhotoShopPhotoshopAssassins Creed EzioKillzone 3Guerrilla GamesNaughty DogRaidenNoctisiPhone BlackVitaDeath NoteFinal Fantasy VII

Gurren-lagann quote translation HELP!

ok im trying to make sure that the following quote it the absolute literal translation and everything is correct. im putting this in under my GL chestpiece tattoo and need to make sure 100% without doubt that it means what its supposed to...

Iika, Simon. Wasuren na. Omae wo shinjiro. Ore ga shinjiru omae demo nai. Omae ga shinjiru ore demo nai. Omae ga shinjiru... OMAE WO SHINJIRO!

"Listen up, Simon. Don't forget. Believe in yourself. Not in you who believe in me. Not in me who believe in you. You should believe... you should believe in yourself!"

i perfer the actual japanese quote, but would rather have Romaji over Kana

anyways.. thanks in advance! ^_^
    Vanik Tetsu'ya
    PS4 500GB//PS3 MGS4 80GB//PS3 120GB Slim//360 250GB Slim//360 4GB Slim w/Kinect//Black Wii 4.3u softmod//PS Vita w/32gb card

Elite Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The end sounds new to me. I have always heard it as:
    Believe in you, who believes in yourself.
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

Veteran
    PSN ID
    SomaXD
    Items PhotoShopPhotoshopAssassins Creed EzioKillzone 3Guerrilla GamesNaughty DogRaidenNoctisiPhone BlackVitaDeath NoteFinal Fantasy VII
    yeah thats what i originally thought it was... then read a transcript on an anime forum... but im not 100% sure... ill watch it later tonight and figure out the last part.

ok just watched it and his last sentance is in fact:

"Omae ga shinjiru... OMAE WO SHINJIRO!"

now the literal translation for that is... im not sure... is the last word SHINJIRO... or SHINJIRU? as far as grammar is concerned?
    Vanik Tetsu'ya
    PS4 500GB//PS3 MGS4 80GB//PS3 120GB Slim//360 250GB Slim//360 4GB Slim w/Kinect//Black Wii 4.3u softmod//PS Vita w/32gb card

Veteran
    Well I would have translated that the same way as you but tbf
    1/ my japanese is rusty
    2/ I remember the final sentence the same way Mael Duin does

Veteran
    PSN ID
    SomaXD
    yeah i thought the last sentence was that too.. but after watching it... he does in fact say (just listening to the japanese audio)
    Omae ga shinjiru... OMAE WO SHINJIRO!

though im unsure what that translates to properly. im unclear the difference between "ga" and "wo"
    Vanik Tetsu'ya

Quote Originally Posted by SomaXD View Post
    yeah i thought the last sentence was that too.. but after watching it... he does in fact say (just listening to the japanese audio)
    Omae ga shinjiru... OMAE WO SHINJIRO!

though i'm unsure what that translates to properly. im unclear the difference between "ga" and "wo"
    How did your Tattoo work out? It Awesome?

I know this is 5 years too late but yea I felt like quickly making an account and answering that question cause I happen to know.
    That last sentence "Omae ga shinjiru omae o shinjiro" is correct. Tho I'm not sure what that triple dot should indicate, it's one sentence. "Omae" = "You" and "Shinjiru" = to believe (dictionary form). "Omae ga shinjiru" is basically one.. object sorta, meaning believing in yourself. While "omae wo shinjiro" is the casual command form (the casual "te" form if you will) which literally means "Believe in yourself!". So together it means "Believe in yourself believing in yourself".

It takes some practice to really understand the particles. "ga" and "o" can both mark objects but when "ga" is used it conveys that the information is more significant somehow. And sometimes it can even replace "wa" which is the topic marker. But in this case the Topic is actually not enunciated. The full sentence would technically be "Omae wa omae ga shinjiru omae o shinjiro" xD But in casual Japanese, the pronouns are usually dropped and you are left with "Omae ga shinjiru omae o shinjiro" since it's obvious what is meant.

This whole phrase was quite a mind $#@! for me when I first heard it in the show. I thought about it a whole lot and it finally made sense to me eventually xD

Thread Information