Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Power Member
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Port Forwarding, Whose Done It?

Just curious as to who has used this to get a faster PSN connection? I just did it now and after a few nervous moments it works a charm when downloading demos. Getting over 1MB per sec easy.

Red Herb Addict
    I just go the DMZ option. Much easier and then when different games need different ports it doesnt matter.

Easily max out my connection aswell on PSN. More often than not anyway.

Power Member
    DMZ option? Haven't heard of it.

Red Herb Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by kopkiwi View Post
    DMZ option? Haven't heard of it.

Wiki it but basically it just opens all your ports. Wouldnt do it with a pc but for consoles its fine.

Most routers if not all nowadays will have the DMZ option. Just setup a static IP on your ps3 (which you have most likely done seeing your port forwarding) and enter that in your DMZ section in your router.

Power Member
    Yup, done the static IP address stuff. Will look into more. Cheers Axel.

Red Herb Addict
    Yup, done the static IP address stuff. Will look into more. Cheers Axel.

No worries mate. Its pretty easy to setup so you should have no issues.

Christmas Thief
    DMZ is way easier to set up than port forwarding, so if you've already done that then you'll have no problems.

And I'd suggest doing that over port forwarding for a console any day.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    dannycorker
    DMZ is easier, but I find port forwarding to work a lot better. Makes no sense I know, but it feels faster for me with port forwarding

Elite Member
    yea i find port forwarding will result in faster speeds since your channeling correct ip traffic ... whereas dmz will be listening for ip traffic on all ports ... just my 2 cents!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by XxwastedxX View Post
    ... Just setup a static IP on your ps3 (which you have most likely done seeing your port forwarding) and enter that in your DMZ section in your router.
    Basic question: how do I set up a static IP for the PS3?

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonReborn View Post
    when doing your network settings ... just choose the manual option ... and you'll be able to type it in there ... make sure you know the correct addresses beforehand!

Platinum # 5 - AC2 !

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by TTPS3 View Post
    when doing your network settings ... just choose the manual option ... and you'll be able to type it in there ... make sure you know the correct addresses beforehand!
    "When doing [my] network settings," you are referring to my router configuration, correct?

Would this address for the PS3 ever change? Because I think my ISP gives me a dynamic IP address??? (As Michael Scott would say, "Explain this to me like I was 5" ... because I know zip about networking.)

Red Herb Addict
    "When doing [my] network settings," you are referring to my router configuration, correct?

Would this address for the PS3 ever change? Because I think my ISP gives me a dynamic IP address??? (As Michael Scott would say, "Explain this to me like I was 5" ... because I know zip about networking.)
    No not the router config, the ps3's network settings. The only thing you will do in your router is port forward or DMZ once you have the static IP setup

The IP address your ISP assigns you may well change but thats your WAN IP anyway. You need to setup the ps3 with a manual IP.

There are some tutorials around on how to do it. I will try and find one. Much easier than trying to explain it.

Power Member

Check out this guide, it's brilliant, has pictures and is very descriptive. Just chose your windows version and you're away laughing.

http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

Red Herb Addict

This should help you out.

PS3 static IP
    Step one: Let the auto configurer configure your network, from there, you can check the "Settings and Connection Status List"
    Note the following: Subnet Mask, Default Router, Primary DNS, Secondary DNS
    Step two: Select the "Internet Connection Settings" option
    Step three: Choose which connection type you are using (wired/wireless)
    Step four: If wireless scan, choose network, encryption method and password.
    Step five: Under "Address Settings" choose "Custom"
    Step six: Under "IP Address Setting" choose "Manual"
    Step seven: Enter All of the information from Step one, and for your IP Address, set it all the same as your Default Router except the last term, set it to something high, like 125.
    Step eight: Fill in the remaining settings as they apply to you (probably best to go Automatic - Do Not Use - (which ever applies) (disabled by default though I recommend enabling through your router)

Elite Guru
    I tried port fowarding/DMZ'ing my router once and I think I accidently killed it, LoL.

I had NAT Type 3 and was having problems connecting to games of CC and MC:LA. I tried to DMZ my router and it died. I brought a new router and it auto gave me NAT Type 2. My downloads are very slow from the PSN but online gaming and downloading things on the PC work fine. I'm not gonna mess with it, incase I stuff it up again.

Motorstorm | F1: CE | GTA IV | Uncharted | SvR 08 | GH III | GT: P | Burnout Paradise | LBP | Midnight Club: LA | GHWT | Resistance 2 | Mirrors Edge | Skate 2 | Crash Commando | RDKF: FoP| HP and the HBP | Fat Princess | Shatter | Burn Zombie Burn | Flower | NFS: Shift | FIFA 10 | U2

Red Herb Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMare View Post
    I tried port fowarding/DMZ'ing my router once and I think I accidently killed it, LoL.

I had NAT Type 3 and was having problems connecting to games of CC and MC:LA. I tried to DMZ my router and it died. I brought a new router and it auto gave me NAT Type 2. My downloads are very slow from the PSN but online gaming and downloading things on the PC work fine. I'm not gonna mess with it, incase I stuff it up again.
    Didnt you end up messing with firmware updates or something and that killed it?

Near impossible to kill your router by putting an IP in the DMZ section or forwarding ports I would have thought.

Good to hear its all still working ok now tho

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMare View Post

My scenario was the same as what you are at now. Fast laptop downloads and fine game connection but really terrible PSN D/L, after port forwarding, EVERYTHING downloads in a hurry. KZ2 was well under 30 minutes.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by XxwastedxX View Post
    Didnt you end up messing with firmware updates or something and that killed it?

Near impossible to kill your router by putting an IP in the DMZ section or forwarding ports I would have thought.

Good to hear its all still working ok now tho
    I read that updating to the latest firmware may solve my NAT Type problems, so I did that and it worked successfully for about a day (no NAT Type change though) and then it stopped sending out a wireless signal.

My scenario was the same as what you are at now. Fast laptop downloads and fine game connection but really terrible PSN D/L, after port forwarding, EVERYTHING downloads in a hurry. KZ2 was well under 30 minutes.
    Currently my KZ 2 demo is at 70% (I decided to give my PS3 a rest; it's been on for over 6 hours). Sooooo slow!

Motorstorm | F1: CE | GTA IV | Uncharted | SvR 08 | GH III | GT: P | Burnout Paradise | LBP | Midnight Club: LA | GHWT | Resistance 2 | Mirrors Edge | Skate 2 | Crash Commando | RDKF: FoP| HP and the HBP | Fat Princess | Shatter | Burn Zombie Burn | Flower | NFS: Shift | FIFA 10 | U2

Elite Member
    Would this address for the PS3 ever change? Because I think my ISP gives me a dynamic IP address???
    NO ... leave your router alone!
    Basically your router acts as a DHCP ... so when you connect any device to it ... the router will automatically assign a network address to it i.e. 192.168.2.2.
    Now from time to time ... the router will assign a address ... so you would then need to change your settings again.
    To avoid this ... in your PS3 instead of letting the router assign the IP ... simply type in the address yourself ... i recommend using the one it has already been assigned.
    Forgetting all of this ... if your router allows you to port forward to named machines instead of network address than you don't have to worry about any of this!

Platinum # 5 - AC2 !

Apprentice
    Ok, great! Thanks, kopkiwi and XxwastedxX. I'll give it a try tonight.

Apprentice
    Ok. Successfully changed my PS3 to a static IP.

But would there be any security concerns about setting up my PS3 as a DMZ?

Elite Member
    none that i am aware of ... but my advice would only to channel the ports you need to ... which i believe to be quicker in my experience

Platinum # 5 - AC2 !

Red Herb Addict
    Ok, great! Thanks, kopkiwi and XxwastedxX. I'll give it a try tonight.
    Ok. Successfully changed my PS3 to a static IP.

No worries mate, glad it all worked for ya.

Lunar_Chaos
    Yup, always do it.

Do it for my friends also.

Thread Information