View Poll Results: Sci-Fi or Realism in Shooters?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sci-Fi Shooters

25 28.74%
  • Realistic Shooters

57 65.52%
  • I don't like FPS games

5 5.75%
Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Fister Roboto
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

FPS Shooters: Sci-Fi or Realistic? Which Do You Prefer?

Which do you prefer?

I noticed alot of people that like the Sci-Fi shooters and what they like about them is the same exact thing that drives me away. For example: Health is a minor concern in the Sci-Fi shooters. You can take multiple shots and survive. I've never liked that for some reason. I just feel like it's more of a challenge to be on a limited lifeline as opposed to Absorbing almost a whole clip.

There's other reasons like guns and the intensity of the game. I just like the realistic weapons more than the lasers and such. While I do play both kinds, I just have more fun with games like Socom and COD 4. I'm most likely going to love KZ2 as well. What's your take?

"The Secret Ingredient Is Phone"

All-Knowing RPG Tyrant

Fantasy

Superior Member
    You forgot to include the a 'BOTH' option.

Dom102
    Biblical.

Fister Roboto
    Quote Originally Posted by You grazhny bratchny View Post
    You forgot to include the a 'BOTH' option.
    No I didn't.

The question is Which do you prefer? I know there's people that like both, but I'm wondering which is favorited

Elite Sage

I like a nice realistic shooter with a little sci-fi twist. Killzone 2 fits that description perfectly. It's just a normal war with a very realistic approach, yet it has it's sci-fi elements, such as the Helghast.

To be honest, I'm really a fan of any FPS games, as long as they're good. Resistance 2, Killzone 2, Call of Duty - all great games, yet they all have very distinct aspects.

For the sake of the poll though, I'll take realistic shooters.

Superior Member
    Eh, I like 'em both about the same. Sometimes I get sick of playing one type so I'll go for the opposite. Like after playing R2 for awhile, I was at a buddies house recently and we popped in some classic Conflict. Fun But for the sake of the poll I'll hafta go w/ realistic.
    40" Samsung HDTV | 5.1 Surround Sound | 60G PS3 | 32+ PS3 games | 42 PS2 games |
    12 classic PS games.

"They say fortune favors the bold... lucky me"
    "My vengence is everything"

Veteran
    Hmm.. Realistic I suppose..

While I don't find anything wrong with regenerating health after a few seconds of no damage, there's nothing more thrilling to me than being nearly blind in Battlefield: BC 'cause I'm on 15 health, camping in a bush somewhere, hardly able to see enemies, knowing that at least on of the people I killed has some idea where I am.

Also I generally am not that great of a fan of energy weapons either. The sound of laser or plasma shots just doesn't give me as great a sense of danger as say gunfire with bullets whistling by, clanging as it hits metal or crunching wood behind you.

Superior Member
    well, I like both equally.

Fister Roboto
    Quote Originally Posted by triggap View Post
    Hmm.. Realistic I suppose..

While I don't find anything wrong with regenerating health after a few seconds of no damage, there's nothing more thrilling to me than being nearly blind in Battlefield: BC 'cause I'm on 15 health, camping in a bush somewhere, hardly able to see enemies, knowing that at least on of the people I killed has some idea where I am.

Also I generally am not that great of a fan of energy weapons either. The sound of laser or plasma shots just doesn't give me as great a sense of danger as say gunfire with bullets whistling by, clanging as it hits metal or crunching wood behind you.
    1) Just to clarify, in my post, I directed the health thing towards the amount of damage that one can take and not so much the regeneration. Regeneration is a huge part of most games and even the "Realistic" FPS' have that. But I agree

2) I agree as well. I actually feel the urgency when I hear shots whistle. I tend to get into the game more.

I'm A Monster!
    Items User name style
    realistic..atleast for online...resistance was great but i hated the online....cod games love the online...cod 4's single player was amazing...cod 5's single player is ok

Sig By FinalReaper.
    Socom/Trophy Card.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethalmind View Post
    1) Just to clarify, in my post, I directed the health thing towards the amount of damage that one can take and not so much the regeneration. Regeneration is a huge part of most games and even the "Realistic" FPS' have that. But I agree
    Well I actually prefer games that don't let you do that much self regeneration like Battlefield games for instance or Half-life 2. You actually have to find either a medic, or a healing station to recover (if I remember right for the latter)

Even still, takes quite a fair number of shots to down someone in say COD4 but considering that they can just hide in a corner and recover some that by the time you get there, they'll have enough to get back at you, kinda annoys me lol

Regeneration doesn't necessarily break realism, but it doesn't help it either and while I do enjoy it in certain instances, being helpless in a corner in one game definitely makes me more aggressive and ready to deal damage when I respawn than if I just healed, killed my pursuer, and then ran off to do some more damage.

Going back to amount of damage, well, that's really.... subjective (for a lack of a better word) considering where bullets strike, the amount of body armor your avatar possesses, how far your enemies are shooting from or what kind of weapon they possesses. Ultimately a lack of regeneration will make the amount of damage you take and deal matter just a little bit more than if you could heal it, no sweat, in a few seconds.

Not sure why I wrote so much, but I have the free time and Imma do it lol ^^

Fister Roboto
    Quote Originally Posted by triggap View Post
    Going back to amount of damage, well, that's really.... subjective (for a lack of a better word) considering where bullets strike, the amount of body armor your avatar possesses, how far your enemies are shooting from or what kind of weapon they possesses.
    I understand but even then, there's a big difference towards your Sci-Fi and Realistic shooters. I was just going by your standard body shots. Say in R2 you're shooting someone in the chest with a Bullseye, It would take much more bullets than an M4 Carbine would in COD 4.

I do agree about the Health thing. It adds a greater challenge which is why I play Socom so often (I know it isn't an FPS, but this is just in reference). You don't have much energy and once you die, you don't come back until next round. Your decisions have to be constantly reviewed because one mistake, and you're a goner.

They put Health Regeneration in the majority of shooters so I wasn't really counting that

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethalmind View Post
    I understand but even then, there's a big difference towards your Sci-Fi and Realistic shooters. I was just going by your standard body shots. Say in R2 you're shooting someone in the chest with a Bullseye, It would take much more bullets than an M4 Carbine would in COD 4.

I do agree about the Health thing. It adds a greater challenge which is why I play Socom so often (I know it isn't an FPS, but this is just in reference). You don't have much energy and once you die, you don't come back until next round. Your decisions have to be constantly reviewed because one mistake, and you're a goner.

They put Health Regeneration in the majority of shooters so I wasn't really counting that
    Well going by that, completely agree ^^

Boils down to how well a game mixes and matches that though in the end I think (referring to amt. of damage and regeration etc) and so far I like the combinations the more realistic games come out with in the end better generally : )

Elite Member
    I love FPS games but if I have to pick one then it's easily realistic. One of the reasons I didn't like Resistance was the weapons used were way to unrealistic. It just didn't seem like they put in enough thought into the human side. I can understand the Chimera but why don't humans have more realistic weapons (besides the carbine).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Power Member
    Sci-Fi, if I want real i'll hire a war movie. It's a lot more fun playing in something that has no chance of happening.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    It's funny that you ask this, because I just got done playing both some Killzone 2 and some Resistance 2. And I have to say they're both excellent at what they try to do.

Resistance 2 is a great arcade FPS. The combat is extremely visceral, the color-palette is wonderfully vibrant, the story is over-the-top with it's scope and intrigue, and the arsenal of weapons is cool and wacky.

Killzone 2 is a great realistic FPS (even though it's a Sci-fi game). The combat is weightier and has a more tactical pace, the color-palette is grittier, the story is somewhat grounded and relates to our history, and the weapons are similar to their real-life inspirations (but have a nice Sci-fi touch).

And so therefore....I cannot answer your poll. If a FPS executes it's goal to a Tee, then I will greatly enjoy it.

But if you're talking about Fiction VS Non-fiction, then I would have to go with fiction. And that's mainly because of what Kopkiwi just said.

saso_7
    i can't decide because i'm a fan of FPSs period, i like both equally cod4 is a great game, but i also love R2...they both have their quirks & perks, i don't like to limit myself when it comes to FPSs....unreal tournament 3 is a great sci-fi FPS as well

TwentyThree
    damn.. i like both.. but if i had to choose one... it have to be Realistic.. i love the online modes more on a Realistic type game..
    less healths, guys arent jumping 20 feet up in the air, ect ect...

Elite Sage
    Items Manchester United
    well as far as multiplayer goes... def realistic...

i hate halo and R2 online... and those types of games...

where as CSS and Socom are GREAT

single player i would say both, i love socom single player and i love R2 single player...

but realistic wins overall
    Love United
    --------

Master Poster
    I love realistic combat with scifi or fantasy settings. So, Killzone 2 has it bang on for me.
    Poop, scoop and shoot.
    My band: http://soundcloud.com/nionabeo

Master Sage
    I prefer Realistic shooter.
    COD4 is a great example.
    A timeline between WW2 and 2015-20 would be enough for me.
    But the type of shooter based on Sci-fi like Killzone 2, Gears of war or Resistance is all right.

Dedicated Member
    I love both for different reasons. I will play any game really...

I survived the apolalyps3 of 1999!

Apprentice

I much prefer realistic. I didn't enjoy the Resistance games as much as I have the COD games.

Master Poster
    I've been brought up on Doom and Quake so I tend to lean towards fanstasy/sci fi shooters, my favourites being Deus Ex and Half Life. But I still like a good realistic FPS now and then.

Thread Information