Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    That Band Is Awful
    PSN ID
    pasta_fire

Best Way To Kill Mirelurks? [Fallout 3]

Having a lot of trouble with mirelurks in Fallout 3. Anyone have any tips besides a shotgun to the face which I am doing? I am in the Nuca Cola factory and they are absolutely everywhere.

Elite Member
    I know you're already doing it but a shot to the face is the best way to take them down. Wait for them to do their charge and dodge it by moving backwards when they throw their head up enter vats and you'll have a high chance of hitting their face.

You could also try grenades and mines as they do heavy damage.

Master Sage
    How about flamers?
    There is one raider equipped with it in a raider house near Arefu.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Gaddesreinhart
    Items PS3 FatVita
    Mines. Thanks to the "Brilliant Radiant A.I" the lurks will simply charge you stepping on the mines and making them a joke to fight, or if you in tight areas, just pull out the combat shotgun, and shoot them in the face. It will usually kill them in 1-2 shots.
    Retired FFXI player. FFXIV player, Malboro Server.

Earthbound
    Items Final Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy IX
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Combat Shotgun to the face a few times, that drops them.

Mines FTW too.

Sniper Rifle to the face also works, but once they start to move its not as good, best trying for a Sneaking Crit.
    Quote Originally Posted by neoxthexone View Post
    DC is the hero PSU deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll ban him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a single guardian, a watchful protector. The DC.

Gaming Guru
    Keep shooting them at a far distance and when they get close, enter VATS (there health should be already low) and shoot them in the face as many times as you can and they should drop in one shot.

Veteran
    You need to shoot them in the eyes, that is their weak point. The best thing is a VAT to their face but you have to wait until they lift their head to fully expose their eyes. If their head is looking down and you do a VAT to the face, it isn't effective. Even assault rifles at a distance to the eyes is pretty effective. Just keep backing up and if close, a couple shotgun VAT to the eyes will take them down.

Superior Member
    I just use any gun and aim for the face, usually the eyes

Elite Guru

You don't have to worry about the Mirelurk attack all you have to do is recognize when it is coming and strafe as they begin their lunge. Usually this will cause them to miss.

Best way to kill them is to have some distance at first. Stop them cold with a shot to the face making them stunned for a second and then having at their legs. Cripple the legs and you will have no problems at all keeping them away while you blast their weak spot.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    I always try to get close, and V.A.T. aim to that small area between shell and the torso. My choice of weapons are combat shotgun or rifle. Both works well in close range. Remember, shoot 'em right in the face.

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    i found melee weapons to be pretty effective

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Ultimate Veteran
    A shot to the face - particularly sniper rifles (any rifles actually) are quite effective. They are susceptible to fire, but still take way too long to kill with fire weapons.

Melee attacks are good - but IMO, what you're doing - shot to the face - is probably the best way.

Like Deathclaws, they're just tough to kill! (Thankfully not as quick )

AUSSIE RED FACTION: GUERRILLA CREW | AUSSIE GHOSTBUSTERS CREW

...There's never been a better time to be a gamer...

Superior Member
    I use flamers and mine as much as I ca, but normally resort to a shotgun or hunting rifle because of their power. They are a ***** and a half to kill.

Sig by THUGGEDOUT

REFLEX
    Best weapon against Mirelurks is a high powered laser rifle. Kills them every time.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Harrow
    With any enemy that uses melee and lunges at you the best way to fight them is hit them with a poison dart. That is the first thing you should do as it automatically cripples its legs no matter where you hit it. It will be slow and wont be able to lunge at you. Then you can just backpedal and blast them. I like using the flamer.

This technique works wonders for Deathclaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaddes View Post
    Mines. Thanks to the "Brilliant Radiant A.I" the lurks will simply charge you stepping on the mines and making them a joke to fight, or if you in tight areas, just pull out the combat shotgun, and shoot them in the face. It will usually kill them in 1-2 shots.
    Just FYI about the AI, I have had fireants sidestep my mines and come at me so some enemies will avoid mines.

The Hero From Vault 101
    Yeah mines work pretty well but I like to use the Shieskebab (sorry I don't know how to spell it but its the custom flame sword you can make.)
    PS3: Uncharted 2 /// 360: Modern Warfare 2

That Band Is Awful
    PSN ID
    pasta_fire
    Well it seems no one reads the original post anymore because about 70% of people said to shoot them in the face. I DID THAT I NEEDED OTHER METHODS. Anyway, I got The Terrible Shotgun from a vendor and it pretty much owns everything so no more mirelurk worries for me.

Super Elite
    I use the flammer and that does the trick for me,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Views and opinions of forum member cpitt, do not represent the views and opinions of ps3forums and any known associates, mods

Veteran
    I used to use a laser weapon more often than not for the longer range then as they'd get closer I was able to get more shots off with it before my AP ran out.

Best thing is to get them uphill from you (bit difficult in a factory) then you can shoot them in the face easier.
    My game scores, based on how much I enjoyed playing 'em: Resistance: 93% Motorstorm/PR: 90%/90% RB6V: 45% NGS: 30% Oblivion: 30% COD3: 55% SC Double agent: 25% Full Auto: 0% Ridge Racer 7: 10%. Darkness: 88% FEAR: 70% Fight Night R3: 30% GRAW2: 78% Heavenly Sword: 84% Warhawk: 85% COD4: 92% Uncharted: 103% Everbody's Golf: 93% Haze 66% MGS4 72% GT5p+G25=100% Fallout 3 92% Infamous 100% U2AT: 115%

Forum Elder

I went through the depths of the Nuka Cola factory at an early level and usually just ran from them when my ammo started getting low. I got the Nuka Cola receipe, though I didnt do anything with it....

reaper of souls
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    I tend to use grenades and then get into V.A.T.S with the combat shotgun or the hunting rifle and get em in the face. The assult rifles work well too but dont use pistols against them because it takes too many shots and they're bound to hit you then. Getting them in the face is about the only thing which harms them the most really.

Superior Member
    lol @ the Mirelurk king.....what loser.....3 shots with a magnum to the face and he was dead...

i remember the first time i was about to fight him i saved the game and loaded up on ammo and health to fight him

Super Elite

Well, for me when I first spot them, I lay some mines between me and the Mirelurk(s). Then I shot the Mirelurk and after it detonates the mines I normally run up to it with a shotgun (The Terrible Shotgun, pwnage) and just give it a shot to the face (In V.A.T.S mode)
    PSN ID = samuraiUNITED and me if you want

Elite Member
    Items User name style
    Pulse rifle Kills them quickly for me, Use VATs aim for the head,

Superior Member
    You gotta shoot them in the head

Thread Information