Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 11 ... LastLast
    Apprentice
    To all those wondering about wireless connections... i can say it extremely boosted my d-load speeds. very happy with it. it messes with some websites on the PC when i use it, so i just turn off privoxy while i surf. Then again i set up my browser to use privoxy and some websites no-likey.

PS3 + 40" Samsung 1080p + Sony Bravia 1000w Home Theatre System X Poor = Happy

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by AG1 View Post
    The results are in!

OK so read my above post if you dont know what im talking about.

Downloading Wheelman Demo Test - 11:30am Morning when there is least possible traffic, e.g. everyone work/school

With Privoxy - 2mb a second
    Without Privoxy - 2mb a second

So in my case i guess it didnt improve it as i was already getting my advertised 2mb a second download from Virgin Media.

But, what it did do was give me a good 1mb a second at night when the traffic is high, and when i also had others on the network. (i normally get 1mb every 5 seconds)

So Privoxy is definitley worth it for speeds lower than 20mb i guess, especially if your on wi-fi it could give you a giant speed boost.

Next test: Playing Online (COD WAW) to see if running Privoxy gives me better connection (e.g. 4-5 bars everytime i play even on a average host)
    Sounds about what I was expecting since you already had good download speed (in no way do I think using this will artificially increase your download speed, only allow it to run as fast as it should)

I personally noticed that when playing W@W after using this proxy I was quite often the host of matches which I was never before. Could just be random chance, but it's a bit too much of a coincidence.

Apprentice
    I can't seem to get this to work.Might be because i'm using the 64bit version of vista.
    I changed everything,installed privoxy but when I changed the ip on my ps3 it wouldn't connect to the internet.

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by biron_w View Post
    I can't seem to get this to work.Might be because i'm using the 64bit version of vista.
    I changed everything,installed privoxy but when I changed the ip on my ps3 it wouldn't connect to the internet.
    Did you only change the IP (in your ps3 settings) when you got to the proxy setup part?
    Other than that I couldn't tell you anything about Vista... other than I don't use it

Apprentice
    Anyone know why sometimes the download speed is really fast, but then it drop down? Sometimes my download speed are where they're suppose to be which is around a 780KB download, but it drops down to around around 500KB or so. Is it just the servers and there are too many people downloading the same file that I am or it just varies? Thanks!

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by Qorious View Post
    Anyone know why sometimes the download speed is really fast, but then it drop down? Sometimes my download speed are where they're suppose to be which is around a 780KB download, but it drops down to around around 500KB or so. Is it just the servers and there are too many people downloading the same file that I am or it just varies? Thanks!
    Could be server load, internet congestion, could be a lot of things.

Thanks for the info, I've been looking for something like this for a while now. I just got it setup with vista 64bit and wireless on PC and PS3. It pretty well doubled my dl speed! I think I will eventually go wired PC and wireless PS3 though. Here is what I have going on.

Comcast 30 meg connection
    Linksys wrt-54g wireless router
    Was getting 1mb every 15-20 sec (Sunday 7:00pm)
    Now getting 1mb every 5-8 sec (Sunday 7:00pm)

The key for me was the info about the DCHP using .100-.150. I have messed with setting a static IP address in the past for PSP and TVersity connections, but I used .136. That would occasionally cause me problems I didn't understand then, and eventually ditched the static address. Now I set it to .99 and everything is wonderfull. I will let you know what changes when I go wired to the PC. Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this.

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Awesome Jeffro glad it helped you out. BTW the reason why DHCP was screwing you up, in a nuthshell, is because DHCP randomly assigns addresses to everything in your network. If one device has a static IP that the router determines is going to another device you get conflicts.

Update

I checked my dl speed at 5:00 am and saw a greater increase in speed. With low PSN traffic I was getting about 1mb/1-3sec. That is pretty close to what my PC can do. I am going to hold off on wiring my PC due to location issues. My router is in the center of the house and my PC and PS3 are on opposite ends. If I move it I will lose my 100% connection to the PS3. This has made me very happy, and it is worth the time of anyone who thinks this might help them. Even with everything on a wireless network.

I just set this up on my PSP and it seemed to increase dl speeds on that as well. Its harder to tell since the PSP does not show dl speed, just percentage.

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
    I just set this up on my PSP and it seemed to increase dl speeds on that as well. Its harder to tell since the PSP does not show dl speed, just percentage.
    Gotta warn you: As far as I know you will not be able to download from the PSP store using a proxy, I've tried repeatedly tweaking settings and it's never worked for me. It might be because my psp is hacked to all hell and all though

Yup, I just had the same problem, no psn downloads via psp1000 with proxy. I have no hacks on it. This doesn't concern me since I usually download demos with my ps3 and then transfer them to the psp. It's more convenient to just que them up on the ps3. I also noticed this helps streaming video on the ps3.

College dorm student in dorm

How does this method applies to people who lives in a dorm with Cisco (that crappy horrible network program that slowed down my computer big time)? My ps3 used to download with decent speed till about 2 weeks ago. It takes about 8 hours just to download about 300mb... However, the playing speed is fine. I can play Killzone2 online with barely any lag at all. There's something wrong, and I'm thinking the ps3 is nearing it's end even though everything but the downloading part is perfectly fine. What the hell is going on then?

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
    Yup, I just had the same problem, no psn downloads via psp1000 with proxy. I have no hacks on it. This doesn't concern me since I usually download demos with my ps3 and then transfer them to the psp. It's more convenient to just que them up on the ps3. I also noticed this helps streaming video on the ps3.
    That's what I expected (mirrors what I encountered) and I agree it's easier to download them on the ps3 though I rarely do....

Quote Originally Posted by loserkid View Post
    How does this method applies to people who lives in a dorm with Cisco (that crappy horrible network program that slowed down my computer big time)? My ps3 used to download with decent speed till about 2 weeks ago. It takes about 8 hours just to download about 300mb... However, the playing speed is fine. I can play Killzone2 online with barely any lag at all. There's something wrong, and I'm thinking the ps3 is nearing it's end even though everything but the downloading part is perfectly fine. What the hell is going on then?
    Don't worry, this does not in any way signify your ps3 dying lol

I'd assume the program you're talking about is what your problem is.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekmon View Post
    I'd assume the program you're talking about is what your problem is.
    Cisco Systems VPN client is what I believe he is talking about. It is indeed crappy. Their 64-bit support is also VERY lacking.
    60GB PS3 on 11/17/06
    40GB PS3 on 11/17/07
    120GB PS3 Slim 10/1/09

Apprentice

it's better if you're on a hard connection if possible. dl are super fast that way.

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz View Post
    Cisco Systems VPN client is what I believe he is talking about. It is indeed crappy. Their 64-bit support is also VERY lacking.
    Interesting, I don't have any experience with those systems/programs. I pretty much just mess around with stuff I can get my hands on at home

Quote Originally Posted by sherlocke View Post
    it's better if you're on a hard connection if possible. dl are super fast that way.
    Uh... I think you should go back and read the first post.

nice mate I check it out asap

Apprentice
    nice thanks mate

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by scoob1 View Post
    nice mate I check it out asap
    Quote Originally Posted by cool_nerds View Post
    nice thanks mate
    Please feel encouraged to post your results, good or bad.

Space Cowboy
    Hi I'm a mac!
    Them Crooked Vultures

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by Endless_Echo View Post
    Hi I'm a mac!
    Privoxy is available for Mac's, however I don't know jack 'bout Mac's so I couldn't help you with the whole setting a static IP on your Mac issue. Other than that I'd assume it would be pretty much the same, try it out

This is a great solution because it actually works.

I'll try and tell you how it went. Thanks for sharing!

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by orighammer View Post
    This is a great solution because it actually works.
    Yes indeed it does work!

Quote Originally Posted by subwaydesign View Post
    I'll try and tell you how it went. Thanks for sharing!
    Nice, try it out and let us know how it works for you

Thread Information