Latest PSU headlines:

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 313 ... LastLast
    For some reason, this actually made my downloads go slower. Not really sure why, but they went from about 1MB to 500kbps when I did this. I suppose my speed was pretty good before I did it though, so it's not gonna get much faster than 1MB. Thanks for the thread though bro, was worth a go.
    NOW PLAYING:
    PlayStation 3 - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Socom US Navy Seals: Confrontation + inFamous
    XBOX 360 - Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Forza Motorsport 3 + FIFA 10

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by Flam3Thr0w3r View Post
    For some reason, this actually made my downloads go slower. Not really sure why, but they went from about 1MB to 500kbps when I did this. I suppose my speed was pretty good before I did it though, so it's not gonna get much faster than 1MB. Thanks for the thread though bro, was worth a go.
    Try making sure the proxy program has an exception in your pc's firewall. Other than that it sounds like you were already getting good speeds before using the proxy and probably don't need it.

Andrei122
    is this still working for ps3 slim at the newest firmware?

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrei122 View Post
    is this still working for ps3 slim at the newest firmware?
    I wouldn't see why not.

Apprentice
    i did all the downloading but ps3 cant connect to net and pc wont go to privoxy because something is in the same port

S. Vettel challenges on GT5- 3 Golds, all using DS3
    I think that makes me the best DS3 user on GT5 in the whole PSU, but I'm open to challenges

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by adamp93 View Post
    i did all the downloading but ps3 cant connect to net and pc wont go to privoxy because something is in the same port
    Running Utorrent eh

You can change the port number in the privoxy setup, just like when you edit the pc's address) just make sure to use the correct port number in your ps3 setup as well.

Hope that clears up your problem.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekmon View Post
    After you've edited the file click the the 'file' option at the top, hit "save", and then 'file' again and 'exit'. (I'd recommend exiting privoxy and restarting it to make sure these changes take effect)
    turns out this bit didn't want to happen, so i deleted privoxy and tried again and its working on ps3 now. however, i tested how fast 4megs (GOWIII demo) downloaded before and after and now its slightly slower, but the speed i tested online has gone up but upload speed has gone down and it took absolutely ages to load the page, irony.

S. Vettel challenges on GT5- 3 Golds, all using DS3
    I think that makes me the best DS3 user on GT5 in the whole PSU, but I'm open to challenges

Apprentice
    Except what they don't tell you is that certain online games suffer with bad performance if you use this.

Fairy tail fights is one of them.

Master Guru
    Not sure if this is necro bumping if it is sorry but it kind of a useful thread...
    And this is for wireless right? like absolutely no point if it wired connection right?
    "Everything that has ever happened has been leading up to this very moment"

"What happened to bros before hoes?" "Well, this one isn't a hoe, so she's first."

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by higgos22 View Post
    Not sure if this is necro bumping if it is sorry but it kind of a useful thread...
    And this is for wireless right? like absolutely no point if it wired connection right?
    It works for wireless or wired, I've seen improvements using both types of connections.
    Unfortunately (well, sorta) I've since moved and where I'm located at now I no longer suffer from slow PSN downloads anymore. Coincidence? Perhaps.

yea verry slow

I will rep you but I have given out too much rep within 24 hours.

CitizenCope
    cool, will give this a try next time DL bogs down

ALOFOKE_SKILLZ
    Nice

EA Wolf
    nice

EA Wolf
    this is nice for those 1gb updates

underthetable

Made a video about this today showing my results (I used a proxy server on my pc for the ps3 to connect to the internet through) Please excuse my speech, I'm burnt out from today and I have a bad case of stage fright as well

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15wNA9TeXRc"]Here's the link to the video on youtube[/ame]

I'll be back later tonight or tomorrow.

What we're going to do here is create a local web proxy on your pc for your ps3 to connect to the internet/psn through rather than straight through your router
    Amazing. I really wish PSN was up and running!

psn will be up around tuesday. yes!! new update che playstation blog

.O. thnx A Bunch

you can. how
    ''Official Naruto Fan''

Thanks a lot. Everything's running smooth now

Clankbot9
    Cool

Error

[I]
    {disclaimer: I did not come up with this workaround on my own, a recent blog post by a friend of mine made me realize that it may come off that way. I had the idea of doing this and searched around and found someone had already done what I was looking to do. Full credit goes to a poster named Moofed on the official PS forums}

Made a video about this today showing my results (I used a proxy server on my pc for the ps3 to connect to the internet through) Please excuse my speech, I'm burnt out from today and I have a bad case of stage fright as well

I'll be back later tonight or tomorrow.

What we're going to do here is create a local web proxy on your pc for your ps3 to connect to the internet/psn through rather than straight through your router

What you'll need:
    • A decent pc (nothing too old, any moderately powerful pc should be able to handle this)
    • At least a 10/100 router (most are), a 10MB switch might not be able to handle all the network traffic this will cause.
    • A static IP address on your PC (if you don't know how to do this click the reveal tab for LionelHutz's guide on setting a static IP address in Windows.) You'll need to know this address later on.
    • A program called 'Privoxy', very small and only uses 5k ram.
    • A little bit of reading and time, not much don't worry.

How to set a static IP in windows: [reveal]1. Start > Run > cmd

2. Type ipconfig /all. You will see:[reveal]
    [/reveal]

3. Leave this window open (you will need the information in it to set up a static IP).

4. Start > Right Click "My Network Places" > Properties: [reveal]

[/reveal]

5. You will see a section called, "LAN or High-Speed Internet". In that section, right click the icon representing your active connection (you may only have one icon). Then choose properties: [reveal]

[/reveal]

6. Under the heading, "This connection uses the following items:", highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)". Then, click "Properties".
    [reveal]
    [/reveal]

7. Circle the bubble "Use the following IP address" [reveal]

[/reveal]

8. In "IP address", enter the static IP address that you would like, typically you want to change only the last set of numbers of the IP address. To avoid problems with DHCP in your router I recommend using an address that is not near the one that your computer is currently using (as shown in the CMD.exe window you opened in the first few steps). Typically routers will use xxx.xxx.x.100 to xxx.xxx.x.150 as the DHCP range, setting your address outside of this range (.99 or lower or .151 or higher) should avoid any IP address conflicts that would result from DHCP

9. Under "Subnet mask," enter it exactly as you see it in the CMD.exe window.

10. Under "Default gateway", enter it exactly as you see it in the CMD.exe window.

11. Under "Preferred DNS server", enter it exactly as you see it under "DNS servers" in the CMD.exe window. Note, you may only have one DNS server listed in the CMD.exe window. If so, leave the "Alternate DNS server" blank. If you have two in the CMD.exe window, enter the second under "Alternate DNS server".

12. Click "OK"

13. Click "OK"

Hope this helps some people![/reveal]

How to install and configure privoxy and your PS3[reveal]

Okay First up you can download privoxy HERE (choose your operating system)
    After you download it just install it, you should have a privoxy program window pop open.

1. In the privoxy program window that's opened up now you'll need to go to the Options menu and select 'Edit Main Configuration', this will open a notepad window.
    2. Scroll down the window till you see a line that says "listen-address 127.0.0.1:8118" (this will be one without the # in front of it)
    3. Now you'll need to edit the "127.0.0.1" with your PC's computer's IP address, the :8118 part should stay.
    4. After you've edited the file click the the 'file' option at the top, hit "save", and then 'file' again and 'exit'. (I'd recommend exiting privoxy and restarting it to make sure these changes take effect)

If you have a firewall on your computer you need to allow access to Privoxy on port 8118. If you still have trouble connecting try turning the firewall off to test the proxy (you might need to configure your firewall or use a different one)

1. Now go to your ps3, open the Network settings tab then to edit your internet connection settings, you'll leave them the same *until* you hit the option "Use Proxy Server".
    2. When you get to this option click YES.
    3. Now under the next window you'll need to punch in your PC's IP address in the top window.
    4. On the bottom window you'll need to enter "8118" for the port.
    5. Finish up your settings, click save and then test. You should get internet connection, psn connection, all that stuff as 'successful'.
    6. If you don't double check the file editing you did earlier, your firewall, and your ps3 settings and try again.

Now that you're all setup hit the playstation store and try a download, make sure you go to the download management section under network to actually see how fast your download is going. I personally noticed a very nice jump in speed and consistency, I downloaded the lego batman demo for the psp (59MB) in about 50 seconds flat which works out to about 1.1MB/s... and this download speed hasn't waivered since I've done this. [/reveal]

Now you might be wondering why this works... and why some people report great speeds all the time and why some don't. Personally I'm not too sure but I think it might have something to do with ISP throttling people's bandwidth over certain ports/protocols. My other guess is the PS3 is picky about the data it receives (size of data chunks perhaps?) and maybe something happens to it coming through the internet for some people and thus slows the download speed down. I'm not sure as I said, anybody who understands networking better than I do feel free to chime in.

I'm also not too sure how this will affect your online gaming, I personally noticed a little less 'hiccups' while trying out SFIIHDR CoD:WaW. I think that due to the way the traffic is routed you will probably see a small increase in ping times (probably about 10ms or so) Keep in mind that if this doesn't work for you or it screws you speeds up you can just redo your network connection and change the proxy setting to 'NO' to return it to normal (don't forget to uninstall privoxy if you don't need it) The other downside to this is that you'll need your PC running to be able to access the net/network on your ps3.

Alrighty guys, try it out and please post your results up here. Good luck!

I entered my Ip address in the listen address part in the Privoxy, i save and exit. When i open Privoxy up again an error comes up sayin " Fatal error : can't bind to (my ip address):8118 : WSAEADDRNOTAVAIL - Cannot assign requested address."
    Could i please get some help

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Teh info is most likely outdated and Sony may have blocked this type of proxy to acess the PSN.
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by Manny339 View Post
    [I]

I entered my Ip address in the listen address part in the Privoxy, i save and exit. When i open Privoxy up again an error comes up sayin " Fatal error : can't bind to (my ip address):8118 : WSAEADDRNOTAVAIL - Cannot assign requested address."
    Could i please get some help
    Sorry it took me awhile to get back to this thread, I've been busy having just bought a house and getting everything going the right way!

Anyways you most likely have another program already using port 8118, likely culprits are torrent programs. Also make sure your firewall allows the privoxy program access through your firewall. You could also just use a different port, like for example 8119...

Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Teh info is most likely outdated and Sony may have blocked this type of proxy to acess the PSN.
    No they have not blocked this, I've been using it for my PS3's (currently on wireless) since I don't have my new house wired with gigabit yet..

Thread Information