yeah...i tryed and failed. i give up.

it kept saying dialing up connection and stuff
    Steam - [UK]Tom1525
    Nobody Ever Reps Back

The Derailer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1525 View Post
    yeah...i tryed and failed. i give up.

it kept saying dialing up connection and stuff
    Did it ever give a fail error of any sort?

If it jsut says dialing up connection, just give it a few minuites.
    this forum is dumb.. you get infracted for posting a pic of a sexy lady with a barley see through top on, yet its ok to post video of interspecies sexual assault
    --scottscorpion

karbineftw
    Spyro I have got that far. I have done the 127.0.0.1 and 8118 thing. Now what? THanks

The Derailer
    Quote Originally Posted by karbineftw View Post
    Spyro I have got that far. I have done the 127.0.0.1 and 8118 thing. Now what? THanks
    If you use Firefox, after you enter all that stuff, simply click on and exit the browser. Go onto your PS3, and go into Network, right to the bottom and configure your network settings. Get to the part where it tells you if you want to use a proxy say yes. It should detect Privoxy then jsut complete that setup process, test connection and then it should be all done.
    this forum is dumb.. you get infracted for posting a pic of a sexy lady with a barley see through top on, yet its ok to post video of interspecies sexual assault
    --scottscorpion

karbineftw
    Ok I go to my connection settings and what information do I enter into the 2 boxes? Should they automatically have info in them because they do not. And am I right in saying that the two boxes in firefox internet settings the HTTP and HTTPS (SSL) bot need to have 127.0.0.1 for the address and 8118 for the port?

xVagrantWadex
    Please help! what program is the proxy he uses? Some people must know because they are asking for the information...
    a "proxy" is a server address...not a program.

karbineftw
    Quote Originally Posted by xVagrantWadex View Post
    a "proxy" is a server address...not a program.
    Well technically I installed it like I would any other program so technically..
    I'm new to this sort of stuff. I'm usually the physical guy building computers

The Derailer
    Ok I go to my connection settings and what information do I enter into the 2 boxes? Should they automatically have info in them because they do not. And am I right in saying that the two boxes in firefox internet settings the HTTP and HTTPS (SSL) bot need to have 127.0.0.1 for the address and 8118 for the port?
    the HTTP proxy obviously is the 127.0.0.1 for the first top box and then add 8181 in the top right hand 'port' box.

Do the same for SSL. Then exit.
    --scottscorpion

karbineftw
    Thats what I did. But it's not picking it up, upstairs on my ps3.

xVagrantWadex
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyroViper View Post
    the HTTP proxy obviously is the 127.0.0.1 for the first top box and then add 8181 in the top right hand 'port' box.

Do the same for SSL. Then exit.
    For clarification, the 127.0.0.1 is just a loopback address.

karbineftw

Is this right?

The Derailer
    Quote Originally Posted by xVagrantWadex View Post
    For clarification, the 127.0.0.1 is just a loopback address.
    Yeah, because it goes back to Privoxy to help with add blocking etc.

Perhaps the OP could shed some light on how he managed it without any errors. I'll try when I get home but thats not for another 4 hours.

Now I know how tech support feels lol.

Karbine, have you made sure than you've enabled Proxy support on your PS3 and it has picked up the correct address?
    --scottscorpion

karbineftw
    Yeah, because it goes back to Privoxy to help with add blocking etc.

Perhaps the OP could shed some light on how he managed it without any errors. I'll try when I get home but thats not for another 4 hours.

Now I know how tech support feels lol.

Karbine, have you made sure than you've enabled Proxy support on your PS3 and it has picked up the correct address?
    Check my attached pic.
    My ps3 doesn't pick up the adress. THats the thing.
    I'm manually entering "127.0.0.1" and "8118" into the ps3 connection seettings when shouldn't it auto be picking it up?

The Derailer

Is this right?
    That's right. Now go to your PS3's Network Tab, configure your network and all that stuff untill you get to the Proxy part where it asks yes or no. Selet yes and the next screen should have the 127.0.0.1 then jsut complete that and run the test connection.

**edit**

it should pick it up right off the bat, just like it did in the video. That's very strange if it didn't. Try flushing your browser's cache and see if that helps.

I found this on the website:

2.1.3. Windows

Just double-click the installer, which will guide you through the installation process. You will find the configuration files in the same directory as you installed Privoxy in.
    Version 3.0.5 beta introduced full Windows service functionality. On Windows only, the Privoxy program has two new command line arguments to install and uninstall Privoxy as a service.
    Arguments: --install[:service_name]
    --uninstall[:service_name]

After invoking Privoxy with --install, you will need to bring up the Windows service console to assign the user you want Privoxy to run under, and whether or not you want it to run whenever the system starts. You can start the Windows services console with the following command: services.msc. If you do not take the manual step of modifying Privoxy's service settings, it will not start. Note too that you will need to give Privoxy a user account that actually exists, or it will not be permitted to write to its log and configuration files.
    --scottscorpion

Still NOT Better Than Cuguy
    Items Bruce WillisBrad PittChristian BaleInfinity WardGoogle ChromeModern Warfare 3AppleFacebook LogoUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    ****** that.

I'm pretty good with stuff like that but for some reason that seems to involve to much work

Add me on Steam: VintageElise

karbineftw
    That's right. Now go to your PS3's Network Tab, configure your network and all that stuff untill you get to the Proxy part where it asks yes or no. Selet yes and the next screen should have the 127.0.0.1 then jsut complete that and run the test connection.

**edit**

it should pick it up right off the bat, just like it did in the video. That's very strange if it didn't. Try flushing your browser's cache and see if that helps.

I found this on the website:
    Ok I understand that after a couple of read throughs. I need to uninstall then install with something open? But I kinda didn't get that last part of what I actually need to do..

The Derailer
    It's only because reading instructions take longer lol. Try it. It's a 10 min jobby at best, the hardest part is the command prompt but it even tells you how to do that lol!

Or you could get a mac where Privoxy is easier than that to set up! Lol.. Us mac users get it too easy at times lol.
    --scottscorpion

karbineftw
    Yes but Ugh what do I need to do?! This is so frustrating. I have everything good it's just that last part..
    ou will need to bring up the Windows service console to assign the user you want Privoxy to run under, and whether or not you want it to run whenever the system starts. You can start the Windows services console with the following command: services.msc. If you do not take the manual step of modifying Privoxy's service settings, it will not start

The Derailer
    Ok I understand that after a couple of read throughs. I need to uninstall then install with something open? But I kinda didn't get that last part of what I actually need to do..
    TBH with you, that's pretty much it. Just boot up the services console (in the run menu (start>run>) then type --install and that should install. how to set up a user profile etc, I don't know. It doesn't give good instructions on that on the page and I'm mainly an OS X/UNIX guy myself.

I will continue looking and see if I can help further though. I'm kinda obsessive about this stuff lol!
    --scottscorpion

KarbineFTW
    Items PlayStation
    does it matter if it is wireless? (i.e the pc you use is not wired but wireless)

Do you have to be on the main computer?
    Steam - [UK]Tom1525
    Nobody Ever Reps Back

The Derailer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1525 View Post
    does it matter if it is wireless? (i.e the pc you use is not wired but wireless)

Do you have to be on the main computer?
    You would need admin rights to access the service console I think, yeah. Wireless or Wired, does not matter.
    --scottscorpion

Apprentice
    If this helps anybody you should post what ISP you use. It seems that the reason that this helps is that several ISPs are throttling the crap out of PS3 traffic. Comcast seems to be the main offender mentioned. It would definitely help people that stumble across this know if it will help.

To the tech geeks out there, is there any other reason that a proxy would help speed up PS3 traffic other than bypassing throttling issues?
    R:FoM | NG: Sigma | Heavenly Sword | Motorstorm | Time Crisis 4 | Uncharted | R&C: FToD | DMC4 | Burnout Paradise | Conan | GTAIV | Merc 2 | SCIV | Orange Box | DW6

karbineftw
    i'm using orange isp

KarbineFTW
    Items PlayStation
    my info right...

Im with O2, using safari, all wireless, when im loading pages on safari the Privoxy icon goes green and works, its just the pc to the ps3 its not picking up.
    Steam - [UK]Tom1525
    Nobody Ever Reps Back

karbineftw
    my privoxy icon doesn't even turn green

Thread Information