Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Apprentice
    xdbuix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    26
    Posts
    217
    Rep Power
    51
    Points
    156 (0 Banked)

    How to boost your wireless signal to ur ps3.

    http://everybodyloveslen.com/Blog/2007/11/13/22/

    i had doubts about this homemade antenna esp since its homemade with a piece of paper and some tinfoil, but I made one. I started with a 47% wifi strength as stated from the Ps3 network connection test. After I made the antenna, I added it onto my router and surprisingly got and extra 20% boost in wifi strength. I took off the antenna and checked several times jsut to make sure it's not a fluke or anything and sure enough there is a noticable difference.

    So if u guys want an extra boost in wifi strength check it out! I was so happy about this i decided to make a thread bout it. My very first thread btw!

    -Dan

  2. #2
    Superior Member
    eeyore151's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    29
    Posts
    640
    Rep Power
    51
    Points
    26 (0 Banked)
    I'm definately going to give this a try. I've already tried using tin foil on its own, but this takes it a whole step further. Good first thread.

  3. #3
    karbineftw
    Guest
    Congrats on your first thread
    I have tried this before but with a tin. It failed lol.
    But now I have a new router it's all fine

  4. #4
    Sony samurai
    Lirion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,938
    Rep Power
    75
    Points
    42 (0 Banked)
    What about those wireless routers that have their antennas insdie?

  5. #5
    Provehito in Altum
    V3nom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,667
    Rep Power
    79
    Points
    2,156 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lirion View Post
    What about those wireless routers that have their antennas insdie?
    exactly

    tin foil? nah, i'll not be giving that a try!

    Rangers - Arsenal - Real Madrid - Loyal

  6. #6
    Still NOT Better Than Cuguy
    VintageElise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Super place called Wales.
    Age
    22
    Posts
    26,511
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    98,082 (0 Banked)
    Items Bruce WillisBrad PittChristian BaleInfinity WardGoogle ChromeModern Warfare 3AppleFacebook LogoUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    That worked for my friend aswell. Handy little tip.

    Add me on Steam: VintageElise

  7. #7
    karbineftw
    Guest
    I have the orange live box. Yes boo me boo me. But it's working great with ps3 lately and that doesn't have an external ariel/arial

  8. #8
    Forum Elder
    Lionel Hutz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    25
    Posts
    2,964
    Rep Power
    68
    Points
    269 (0 Banked)
    You can also try installing DD-WRT on your router and boosting the signal. Just make sure you can cool it - overclocking routers FTW! Just make sure you do so legally .

    EDIT - Looks like the comments on that site suggested my idea. I guess I'm not that original...
    60GB PS3 on 11/17/06
    40GB PS3 on 11/17/07
    120GB PS3 Slim 10/1/09

  9. #9
    Newbie
    PYRO-610's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Age
    21
    Posts
    47
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    121 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz View Post
    You can also try installing DD-WRT on your router and boosting the signal. Just make sure you can cool it - overclocking routers FTW! Just make sure you do so legally .

    EDIT - Looks like the comments on that site suggested my idea. I guess I'm not that original...
    ur idea is great i agree with every thing u said

  10. #10
    Master Guru
    UberNerD20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    32
    Posts
    6,375
    Rep Power
    91
    Points
    1,527 (0 Banked)
    ...your post really sticks out.

    Quote Originally Posted by NYFAN75 View Post
    I am jealous cause your Hippo dances better than me And I am about the same size...

  11. #11
    Dedicated Member
    Paper Shredder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,297
    Rep Power
    51
    Points
    131 (0 Banked)
    Sure, wire it

    I did wireless for awhile and though it was a pain, I finally wired it and the internet is 5x better and smooth now

  12. #12
    Veteran
    MiThRaZoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    22
    Posts
    4,300
    Rep Power
    80
    Points
    861 (0 Banked)
    I tried that. It didn't work. But umm.. Is tinfoil the same as normal foil?
    "This life is not real. I conquered the world and it did not bring me satisfaction." -Muhammad Ali

  13. #13
    Apprentice
    xdbuix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    26
    Posts
    217
    Rep Power
    51
    Points
    156 (0 Banked)
    yea i think tinfoil is the same as normal foil lol.

    but yea like alot these ppl saying wires > wireless any day. This is just a tip to improve upon wireless that worked well for me. I like how my PSN store is fast now =)

  14. #14
    Dedicated Member
    Judgegeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,062
    Rep Power
    47
    Points
    6 (0 Banked)
    You have many options, upgrade router (or firmware), homeplugs, or wired.

    Never had a problem with wireless, or the signal.


  15. #15
    Master Poster
    Danny2304's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Age
    26
    Posts
    3,343
    Rep Power
    59
    Points
    1,616 (0 Banked)
    Items LiverpoolModern Warfare 3
    I made a windsurfer a while ago they actually work quite a bit

    "Raise your weapon, one word and it's over"

  16. #16
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,228
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    103,562 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by PYRO-610 View Post
    ur idea is great i agree with every thing u said

  17. #17
    Veteran
    MiThRaZoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    22
    Posts
    4,300
    Rep Power
    80
    Points
    861 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by xdbuix View Post
    yea i think tinfoil is the same as normal foil lol.
    Well it didn't work for me. I used 2 different types. One of em said aluminum foil and the other was heavy duty. I'm pretty sure mines didn't work cause the foil was different. But yeah, I'm going to have to try this again to see if it works.
    "This life is not real. I conquered the world and it did not bring me satisfaction." -Muhammad Ali

  18. #18
    BigC3
    Guest
    nice one, i will definitely give this a try

  19. #19
    Elite Member
    GhostFox61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,502
    Rep Power
    63
    Points
    1,999 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by xdbuix View Post
    http://everybodyloveslen.com/Blog/2007/11/13/22/

    i had doubts about this homemade antenna esp since its homemade with a piece of paper and some tinfoil, but I made one. I started with a 47% wifi strength as stated from the Ps3 network connection test. After I made the antenna, I added it onto my router and surprisingly got and extra 20% boost in wifi strength. I took off the antenna and checked several times jsut to make sure it's not a fluke or anything and sure enough there is a noticable difference.

    So if u guys want an extra boost in wifi strength check it out! I was so happy about this i decided to make a thread bout it. My very first thread btw!

    -Dan

    One caution with this setup. It appears they are simply using a parabolic to turn an omnidirectional antenna into a directional antenna.

    While in some cases that may not be an issue, if you need wireless access in all areas of your house it could cause problems.

  20. #20
    Veteran
    MiThRaZoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    22
    Posts
    4,300
    Rep Power
    80
    Points
    861 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostFox61 View Post
    One caution with this setup. It appears they are simply using a parabolic to turn an omnidirectional antenna into a directional antenna.

    While in some cases that may not be an issue, if you need wireless access in all areas of your house it could cause problems.
    Well, not many people actually put their router in the middle of their house so this would be good for them.
    "This life is not real. I conquered the world and it did not bring me satisfaction." -Muhammad Ali

  21. #21
    Power Member
    Kopkiwi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    29
    Posts
    15,968
    Rep Power
    109
    Points
    6,467 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I tried this a little while back, as well as the cut up the coke can, but it never did anything.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.