Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Elder

PS3 controller patented in 1999

I guess that sony was actually speaking the truth, when they said that they were already thinking (back in 1999) on the inclusion of motion sensing on the playstation controllers.

Patent number: JP11099284
    Publication date: 1999-04-13
    Inventor: KOBAYASHI HIROAKI; YORIZUMI MINEO
    Applicant: SONY CORP
    Classification:
    - international: G06F3/033; G06F3/033; (IPC1-7): A63F9/22; G06F3/033
    - european:
    Application number: JP19970265541 19970930
    Priority number(s): JP19970265541 19970930

View INPADOC patent family

Abstract of JP11099284
    PROBLEM TO BE SOLVED: To instruct an operation by the movement of a small controller that is close to the movement of a character by making the controller movable, detecting its movement and outputting a signal, and switch-recognizing the direction of the movement on the basis of the outputted signal. SOLUTION: The controller detects an angular speed by a detection section provided in a connecting section that connects the right and left operating sections of a controller unit 82. For example, rotation in the direction of rolling in relation to the right and left operating buttons 55, 56 of the left operating section is detected as an angular speed in the direction of rotation in the XY plane by the detection section 70 with the Z axis as the central axis. The detection section 70 is comprised of a movement detection section 71 made up of an angular speed sensor 72 and an amplifier 73, and a direction detection section 74 made up of movement direction recognition switches 79, 80. Therefore, movement can be instructed by the movement of the controller without operating the operating buttons 55, 56, etc.

[/url]

Link: http://v3.espacenet.com/textdoc?DB=E...QPN=JP11099284
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Studios come and go, but good games last forever"

Azukimo
    They actually mentioned that they've had this idea since 1994, though it's interesting they had a patent for this since 1999. I know Microsoft had a similar Sidewinder gamepad around the same time - I wonder what the difference in their technology is?

Still, you have to wonder why they didn't introduce this with the PS2 if they had the technology back then. Only Sony can answer, but seems like they were doing pretty well with the DualShock and likely went with the DS over the motion control when they had a choice.

Forum Elder

Completely different from the Wii remote, I hope this puts those annoying rumors to rest
    "For though we may pledge fanboy alliegances to different flags, we all have one master...one king and his name is gaming! FOREVER MAY HE REIGN!" Kevin Butler, E3 2010 Sony press conference

Superior Member
    I kinda suspected, but never felt like seeking proof. How long did it take to find that one? :P

PSN: n00body
    Spending most of my time in R:FoM right now. Give me a holler if you want, my list is still empty.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog

Re: PS3 controller patented in 1999

Quote Originally Posted by Angelcurio
    I guess that sony was actually speaking the truth, when they said that they were already thinking (back in 1999) on the inclusion of motion sensing on the playstation controllers.

Patent number: JP11099284
    Publication date: 1999-04-13
    Inventor: KOBAYASHI HIROAKI; YORIZUMI MINEO
    Applicant: SONY CORP
    Classification:
    - international: G06F3/033; G06F3/033; (IPC1-7): A63F9/22; G06F3/033
    - european:
    Application number: JP19970265541 19970930
    Priority number(s): JP19970265541 19970930

View INPADOC patent family

Abstract of JP11099284
    PROBLEM TO BE SOLVED: To instruct an operation by the movement of a small controller that is close to the movement of a character by making the controller movable, detecting its movement and outputting a signal, and switch-recognizing the direction of the movement on the basis of the outputted signal. SOLUTION: The controller detects an angular speed by a detection section provided in a connecting section that connects the right and left operating sections of a controller unit 82. For example, rotation in the direction of rolling in relation to the right and left operating buttons 55, 56 of the left operating section is detected as an angular speed in the direction of rotation in the XY plane by the detection section 70 with the Z axis as the central axis. The detection section 70 is comprised of a movement detection section 71 made up of an angular speed sensor 72 and an amplifier 73, and a direction detection section 74 made up of movement direction recognition switches 79, 80. Therefore, movement can be instructed by the movement of the controller without operating the operating buttons 55, 56, etc.

[/url]

Link: http://v3.espacenet.com/textdoc?DB=E...QPN=JP11099284
    I was debating whether I should create a topic on this. I'm glad you did. Hopefully the Ninty fanboys will actually read this and realise all their "you copied us" comments we're debunked way before Nintendo even introduced the darned wiimote.

I believe this thread should not be locked by mods for one simple reason. Members tend to skip a few replies in a thread and miss out on valuable information such as this one if it's not written by the OP. You can see this in the controller sticky. Many have posted about the registered patents but the ninty fanboys still come around with their uneducated comments. In this particular thread, the "copy, borrowed etc.." remarks are debunked with the OP research and statements. From this point on, the ninty fanboys who come up with this ridiculous claim that Sony "copied" the controller will only look stupid.

Master Guru
    Firmly attached to Ayane's boobies WAHAHAHAHAHA!
    PSN ID
    ShinMaruku
    That's kinda funny, thye covered their ass in so many ways, still doubters will exist, this will just rile them up.

SuperSJ-PS3
    very interesthing... good find.. i like it

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinMaruku
    That's kinda funny, thye covered their ass in so many ways, still doubters will exist, this will just rile them up.
    Doubters will remain because Sony decided to incorporate it in the controller as a last minute thing. It made many believe that Sony copied the wiimote as a result. You can't teach new tricks to an old monkey... Or in this case, you just can't educate stubborn fanboys.

Master Guru
    Firmly attached to Ayane's boobies WAHAHAHAHAHA!
    PSN ID
    ShinMaruku
    I just keep reminding them of the facts and if it burns them then I care not if they run off their mouths because I made the truth burn them.

atv
    I'm glad you made a thread for this, I posted the information earlier in the controller thread but I think most missed it. It's interesting to note that the controller diagram doesn't have the dual analog sticks on it even though that was introduced in '96. Maybe this design was shelved in favor of making the dual analog sticks a standard feature.

Power Member
    Makes you wonder how many other things Sony came up with that they have not used yet , but possibly Nintendo or M$ (or even Sega in the past) have. Very good find and bookmarked for future proof.

the new ps3 contorller needs to have triggers like xbox
    PS3 Funds...WII Funds Xbox 360 Funds << Unlimited >> solution? Credit Card =]

Elite Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Sypher57
    the new ps3 contorller needs to have triggers like xbox
    it does

i saw it from a weird angle where i saw triggers (L2 and R2)

Master Poster
    Maybe the technology was too expensive at that time or it could not be implemented very well. Iím happy that both Sony and Nintendo decided to make use of tilt and motion sense technology. Iím really excited about these features! :P

Nice one

[color]There is a 5 word minimum on these forums. Read the rules. ~Perfect Sin[/color]

Veteran
    i think people just bashed sony because they heard the idea from nintendo first, its just sad that people didn't really take the time out to look into the situation.

The Bloodline Clan: Apply now for LBP, SOCOM, Killzone, COD4 and/or Resistance gaming.
    We Welcome Casual and Hardcore gamers alike.

Dedicated Member
    LOL the sketches look so childish-like.

Nice find, Angelcurio. Surely gonna shut them fanboys.
    The only thing that separates an avid gamer from a hardcore gamer is the selection of gaming platforms. For the hardcore, there is no selection.

Enjoying the FULL HD experience with a 42'' 1080p Philips HDTV, Playstation 3, Xbox 360, Wii and a Yamaha 6.1 surround setup!

Superior Member
    Hopefully it shuts down those Wii theft allegations.

But, to be honest, I dought it. Nay sayers hold onto the "sony is a copy cat" argument like their lives depended on it.

Superior Member

No matter how long they had the patent, they still threw it in last minute after Nin introduced a similar feature on the Wii. Besides, I think it's really gimmicky and something I don't plan on using. When I want to exercise, I'll go for a run. When I want to play games, I'll sit on my couch not looking like a dumbass.
    Nintendo Fanboy: 42%
    Sony Fanboy: 28%
    Microsoft Fanboy: 42%
    Periods. Not just for women, they're for your sentences too.

Super Bias Moderator
    The device that makes this possible is in my sig...it wasn't new back then.

Wii # 2775 0778 3886 7989

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lordmadjack
    Completely different from the Wii remote, I hope this puts those annoying rumors to rest
    It did for this Forum, but other gaming forums their still saying sony is copying off of wii itll never be true when sony is using 1 controller now if sony released having speakers in their controller like the wii thats copying.

Now that i think of it , it would of been cool if sony had a speaker in their tilt controller im glad their not going to do that but if u think about it you could be laying down having the tv's volume not as loud but sorta loud on your controller. Well im glad that sony is happy thats all that matters.

kuchite-shimatta yuri no hana
    naze konna ni setsuna no unmei

Quote Originally Posted by Azukimo
    They actually mentioned that they've had this idea since 1994, though it's interesting they had a patent for this since 1999. I know Microsoft had a similar Sidewinder gamepad around the same time - I wonder what the difference in their technology is?

Still, you have to wonder why they didn't introduce this with the PS2 if they had the technology back then. Only Sony can answer, but seems like they were doing pretty well with the DualShock and likely went with the DS over the motion control when they had a choice.
    Maybe because now there are bluethooth = wireless more confort and maybe the prices for this tech is now cheap.

Azukimo
    Yeah it could be a cost issue, though I'm more inclined to believe they had to reach into their bag of tricks to find something to replace vibration after they lost the Immersion lawsuit.

This seemed an obvious thing since they already had the patent and Nintendo was getting so much hype about their controller, which is totally different technologically, but similar in concept (at least to the consumer).

I don't think Sony "stole" the idea from Nintendo (as this patent proves), but I think they were obviously influenced by them to include this feature now because of the Wii-mote.

SuperSJ-PS3
    hey everyone I found an update to this article... check

http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=5630

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Azukimo
    They've probably mentioned it in '94 but it probably took like 5 years to validate the patent.

And I think the SideWinder didn't have a 6 degree thing. Probably more than that or something. But if you think this feature in the controller will fail like the SideWinder controller then you're (not you Azukimo, just people in general) mistaken. Because the SW was for PC, and no one really uses controllers for PCs.

Still, you have to wonder why they didn't introduce this with the PS2 if they had the technology back then.
    When they patent something, it's still an idea in those stages. Not yet developed and tested or anything.

Remember back when some patent surfaced on these boards from Sony. It was something like sending Ultraviolet waves to your brain so you could control something virtual.

Yeah, they've patented it, but they don't have the technology no where near a physical form to use. They're still researching it.
    "This life is not real. I conquered the world and it did not bring me satisfaction." -Muhammad Ali

Thread Information