Latest PSU headlines:

Page 160 of 215 FirstFirst ... 150160170 ... LastLast
Results 3,976 to 4,000 of 5363
    Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yes was only by their skill and a bit of luck the drivers didnt have more serious accidents.

This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Gutted for Lewis, had a victory taken from him through no fault of his own..............

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Elite Member
    What is Pirelli's chances of being F1 tyre manufacture in 2014 now?? Silverstone was shocking all the years iv watched F1 an iv not seen so many problems with the tyres like that before.

Would they bring back Bridgestone or other Tyre Manufacture's?

I hope they make changes to the tyre's or some what we will see teams boycott the next race & from my point of view this will look utter evil for the sport fans wont like it 1 bit like we seen in the US years ago with only 4 teams racing!!! the sport seems its getting worse too many problems, too many rules ect

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nextgen3 View Post
    What is Pirelli's chances of being F1 tyre manufacture in 2014 now?? Silverstone was shocking all the years iv watched F1 an iv not seen so many problems with the tyres like that before.

Would they bring back Bridgestone or other Tyre Manufacture's?

I hope they make changes to the tyre's or some what we will see teams boycott the next race & from my point of view this will look utter evil for the sport fans wont like it 1 bit like we seen in the US years ago with only 4 teams racing!!! the sport seems its getting worse too many problems, too many rules ect
    I know I will not be putting any Pirelli tyres on any car in the near future.
    Best tyres I have ever used are Michelin.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Surebrec
    it's all too easy to lay the blame for these failures at the feet of pirelli, which certain people people from inside and outside of the sport are doing. several of the teams that have been pointing the finger of derision at pirelli for manufacturing tyres that are falling apart, are the same ones that have vetoed the suppliers desire to return to the more durable method that has been used prior to 2013.

as for whether they will still be providing F1 with tyres for next season, well they have the same chance as the other tyre manufacturers that have been linked with the task.

it has to be put out to tender, the FIA can't just pick a supplier and unless the rules have changed, the teams will have the final say.
    Don't waste your words I don't need anything from you.
    I don't care where you've been or what you plan to do.
    I am the resurrection and I am the light.
    I couldn't ever bring myself to hate you as I'd like.

Elite Member
    German Grand Prix: Drivers threaten boycott if Silverstone tyre problems repeated

GPDA drivers "shall immediately withdraw" if there are more blow-outs in Germany

Formula One drivers will boycott this weekend's German Grand Prix if there is a repeat of Silverstone's tyre problems.

Four drivers suffered blown tyres during a chaotic British Grand Prix last Sunday, forcing manufacturers Pirelli to revert to Kevlar-belted models for the Nurburgring.

A new tyre will then be introduced for the remainder of the season, and the planned changes have been welcomed by drivers including World Champion Sebastian Vettel.

But the Grand Prix Drivers' Association met on Thursday night and have now made it clear that any further incidents will not be tolerated.

A statement read: "The drivers of the Grand Prix Drivers' Association wish to express their deepest concerns about the events that took place at Silverstone.

"We trust that the changes made to the tyres will have the desired results and that similar problems will not occur during the German GP weekend.

"We are ready to drive our cars to the limit, as we always do, and as it is expected by our teams, sponsors and fans.

"However, the drivers have decided that, if similar problems should manifest themselves during the German GP, we shall immediately withdraw from the event, as this avoidable problem with the tyres endangers again the lives of drivers, marshals and fans."

In general, drivers displayed relaxed demeanours when quizzed on the subject of tyre safety in the paddock on Thursday afternoon.

As expressed in the GPDA statement, the consensus was that changes the FIA and Pirelli are introducing from this weekend should prove more than sufficient to prevent a repeat of the high-speed blowouts.

"I have to trust the FIA and Pirelli. I'm not someone that dwells on something so I just forgot about it generally," said Lewis Hamilton, who was the first driver to suffer a tyre failure whilst leading his home race.

Jenson Button, who is a Director of the GPDA, said: "We haven't seen an issue with this type of construction. As far as I know, it's very similar to what we had last year, using Kevlar instead of metal in the tyre. We didn't have any issues last year.

"I'm happy that they're able to bring this tyre; three or four days to sort the tyres out and bring a completely different construction is fantastic."

The McLaren driver added that the British Grand Prix was "a tough weekend for Pirelli and a tough weekend for all of us really - especially the drivers".

Button's words perhaps shed a light on the strongly-worded statement: that the situation may be bad for Pirelli from an image point of view but it's not the Italian company putting itself on the front line.

Romain Grosjean, whose Lotus was following Jean-Eric Vergne's Toro Rosso when its left-rear tyre blew at approaching 190mph on Silverstone's Hangar Straight, described his feelings on Thursday afternoon.

"When we were behind the Toro Rosso on the Hangar Straight and we've got the tyre blowing in front of us, it's a bit scary to imagine that, at 300km/h, you can have pieces of rubber flying into your head," he said.

Vettel is a Director of the GPDA alongside Button while its Chairman is Ferrari test driver Pedro de la Rosa.

However, membership is not compulsory and - however unlikely a boycott might be - it does raise the question of whether some drivers would continue to take part while others withdraw.

Indeed, the statement does not make crystal clear exactly when any boycott might start. Although most of last weekend's blow-outs came in the race, McLaren's Sergio Perez also suffered one during practice.

The statement includes the word 'event' which in F1's rulebook is defined to mean, practice, qualifying and the race itself.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surebrec View Post
    it's all too easy to lay the blame for these failures at the feet of pirelli, which certain people people from inside and outside of the sport are doing. several of the teams that have been pointing the finger of derision at pirelli for manufacturing tyres that are falling apart, are the same ones that have vetoed the suppliers desire to return to the more durable method that has been used prior to 2013.
    That is a straw man's argument.

You forget that it was Pirelli who made the bad tyre to begin with and had it not been for repeated failures at other tracks the question of changing tyre construction would never have been brought up in the first place. Ultimately there is no excuse for ever having put a tyre with such faults into production in the first place, but then again the tyre situation has always been a bit of a joke since Bridgestone lost exclusivity as a provider.

Let us not forget that the whole reason Pirelli is making F1 tyres now is because of the problems Michelin had. The 2005 US GP was a farce because of them.

Apprentice

PSN ID
    Jordie-SCO-
    I think people forget that these tyres are made on guess work and estimations, due to Pirelli using a 2/3 year old F1 car which produces nowhere near as much downforce as the 2013 cars do, and get very limited access to the current cars. And it doesn't help when you have the teams ignoring the pressure guide lines.

Sorry but, F1 needs to help Pirelli to avoid blowouts ect.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Surebrec
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    That is a straw man's argument.

You forget that it was Pirelli who made the bad tyre to begin with and had it not been for repeated failures at other tracks the question of changing tyre construction would never have been brought up in the first place. Ultimately there is no excuse for ever having put a tyre with such faults into production in the first place, but then again the tyre situation has always been a bit of a joke since Bridgestone lost exclusivity as a provider.

Let us not forget that the whole reason Pirelli is making F1 tyres now is because of the problems Michelin had. The 2005 US GP was a farce because of them.
    pirelli made the bad tyres to begin with, yeah, but they didn't know they had done so until the failures started appearing.

as has been stated, it's difficult, if not impossible to accurately gauge current tyre wear and performance with equipment that is 2 years old. there is no substitute for hard track data, with current technology. it's one of the few areas of a car that cannot be entirely accurately modeled on a simulator.

with regards to bridgestone losing exclusive tyre provider status, that's not how my recollection of it is.

they didn't so much lose it as they plain decided not to renew the contract.
    Don't waste your words I don't need anything from you.
    I don't care where you've been or what you plan to do.
    I am the resurrection and I am the light.
    I couldn't ever bring myself to hate you as I'd like.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surebrec View Post
    pirelli made the bad tyres to begin with, yeah, but they didn't know they had done so until the failures started appearing.

as has been stated, it's difficult, if not impossible to accurately gauge current tyre wear and performance with equipment that is 2 years old. there is no substitute for hard track data, with current technology. it's one of the few areas of a car that cannot be entirely accurately modeled on a simulator.
    And yet no other tyre manufacturer has had this many problems and these types of problems, even on cars that are faster than F1 cars.

with regards to bridgestone losing exclusive tyre provider status, that's not how my recollection of it is.

they didn't so much lose it as they plain decided not to renew the contract.
    They didn't renew the contract because the FIA expanded the number of cars by 40%, added two more races to the schedule, and didn't offer any more money for the expanded tyre supply those changes demanded. They didn't "lose" the contract so much as they were forced out by the economics of the contract that was offered.

Either way you look at it, the FIA basically got rid of them by deliberately not offering Bridgestone enough money to supply tyres.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    half way through the season and Mercedes are finally coming around to the way of thinking that i proposed during pre-season testing
    http://www.formula1.com/news/technic.../902/1084.html

i don't know if i posted here but i singled out Ferrari as having very good downforce compared to the other top teams.

the F1 W04 has a nose similar to Ferrari and a rear similar to Red Bull, with unquestionably the best powertrain in F1.
    that latter one however could be the reason for their tyre deg problems! i don't fully understand torque maps but maybe they aren't as effective with their engine mapping as some of the other established teams? they've obviously played with them for this season though, the W04 has less drive off corners compared to the W03.

the race today should be very interesting. Merc of Hamilton was significantly faster then the red bulls at silverstone, i don't think they'd have gotten hamilton if his tyres didn't go!
    but the gap in Q3 yesterday was as tiny as you'd ever want to see. Expect Vettel to be in the lead after the first few laps. Hamilton's ONLY hope is to break the 1 second DRS and hold the distance. the team will need to do the rest from there
    if not hamilton will be looking at another fourth or third place sadly....
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Elite Member
    Well that was shocking with Webber's wheel hitting a camera man!! :O

Apprentice

PSN ID
    Jordie-SCO-
    Tyre bowling

I guess that its going to be Pirelli's fault too....

Elite Member
    Well this is some race.

Near miss in pits with Di Resta & Torro Rosso car

Webber's tyre comes off hits a camera man

Bianchi car blows smoke then cause's a fire then stops on a hill then car rolls backwards down the track by its self

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Alonso gets DQ'd doesn't he!?
    didn't the FIA state that cars must make it around to the pits after a race, ie, they need to keep enough fuel in reserve to do so?
    very interesting race all the same. Mercs both came back at the end (though this should be expected) they clearly have major balance issues with high fuel. either they carry to much or they can't 'fit' it where they would ideally want it....

how many races this year have ended this way? there has been some amazing last few laps to some of the GP's this year! there was hamilton in china for third, silverstone....and these are off the top of my head.

did any one else catch Ben Edwards saying that next year cars will ONLY have 100L of fuel to go racing! da fuq the FIA doing? o_O dem turbo chargers better be something special!

i know its not right to laugh at the accident (those tyres are heavy as ****), but when webbers wheel came off i looked to see who it might hit and singled out the camera man who was facing the wrong way (oh how clichéd). irrespective of my obviously skewed perspective, i hope he wasn't too badly hurt.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Apprentice

PSN ID
    Jordie-SCO-
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    did any one else catch Ben Edwards saying that next year cars will ONLY have 100L of fuel to go racing! da fuq the FIA doing? o_O dem turbo chargers better be something special!

i know its not right to laugh at the accident (those tyres are heavy as ****), but when webbers wheel came off i looked to see who it might hit and singled out the camera man who was facing the wrong way (oh how clichéd). irrespective of my obviously skewed perspective, i hope he wasn't too badly hurt.
    Charlie Whiting reckons the cars will be around 3 seconds slower at the start of 2014. Obviously that time will come down over the seasons. New regs sound pretty naff, and the engine sounds crap aswell.

Your not alone in your wee giggle at the tyre. They said on the TV that we can expect Red Bull to get a huge fine or points deduction or even a special penalty. Watching it back, the guy with the jack at the back of the car dropped Webber down, so he obviously thought he could go.

Elite Member
    Force India fined €5.000 for an unsafe pit release

RedBull Also fined for unsafe release with tyre incident when it left a British camera man with a broken collarbone & broken ribs they were fined €30.000

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Sigh.....FFS

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Power Member
    The Sky commentator more concerned about Webbers race being ruined than the guy that got hit by the tyre.

I always thought the camera men wore what the mechanics wore and I am surprised t find out they do not.
    Last edited by keefy; 07-08-2013 at 12:27.

Elite Member
    Cameramen to stand on pit wall at Formula 1 races after German GP tyre incident
    Bernie Ecclestone says change to be introduced from Hungary

Television crews must stand on the pit wall in future races after the injuries suffered by a cameraman in Germany on Sunday.

Paul Allen was hit by a bouncing wheel that came off Mark Webber's Red Bull. It bounced past several mechanics in the Ferrari, Lotus and Mercedes pits before hitting Allen.

Allen, employed by Bernie Ecclestone's Formula One Management, suffered a broken collarbone and two broken ribs. He is expected to make a full recovery.

At present, current rules allow up to a maximum of six FOM camera crews unlimited pitlane access during qualifying and the race.

In addition, six photographers are allowed to take photographs from the pit wall.

But from the next race - which takes place in Hungary in three weeks - the snappers will be joined by the television crew.

Ecclestone said: "I've been in close contact with everybody who has been dealing with the matter.

"It's a terrible thing to say, but it was just one of those things. There was a whole bunch of mechanics and the tyre could have hit any one of those guys.

"The cameraman just happened to be looking the wrong way at the wrong time. In future, all our camera crews will only be allowed to film from the pit wall."

As from next year it will be mandatory for all team personnel working on a car in a pit stop to wear head protection, paving the way to the suggestion others should follow suit.

Mercedes team principal Ross Brawn said: "On the basis of what we have seen we should be thinking that all people in the pitlane are properly dressed and equipped

"Everyone in the pitlane should have a helmet on. It is certainly worth reviewing the whole thing."

Red Bull were fined £26,800 following the incident and he said: "Mechanics have to wear safety gear and helmets, and maybe it's time some of the other operational people in the pitlane have some safety equipment as well."

It is something the FIA and Ecclestone may look into.

"If the camera guys are on the pit wall, then that's normally higher than the track," added Ecclestone.
    well for the sounds of all this, we may not see a up front pit stops from now on an we will only get a side view of cars in pit stops!! an that small cam that's above the pits.

Glad the camera man is ok could of been a lot worse if he'd be facing forward at the time he may of dodged the tyre imo but why I didn't anyone help him from getting hit that's what I wanna know!! an all the talk (commentators) was how Webber's race was ruined cause pit crew couldn't get his tyre on, no1 cared about the camera man!
    Last edited by nextgen3; 07-08-2013 at 16:51.

Power Member
    Most Peoples first reaction is to get out of the way themselves. The instant it did happen lots of people ran over to help him though.

Elite Member
    Sauber have announced partnerships with three Russian institutions

Deals appear to secure Swiss team's long-term future - and also pave way for teenager's F1 debut?

Sauber have announced partnerships with three Russian institutions in a move that appears to have secured their long-term future.

The partnerships with the Investment Co-operation International Fund, the State Fund of Development of North-West Russian Federation and the National Institute of Aviation Technologies will enable promotion of Formula 1 in Russia as well giving Sauber access to technology solutions.

"With the National Institute of Aviation Technologies, one of the leading scientific research institutions in Russia, the Sauber F1 team will benefit from the advanced know-how of the front-end Russian scientists and engineers," a statement from the Swiss team read on Monday.

"The objective of the partnership is to open up new perspectives and revenue streams by commercialising jointly developed technologies."

The promotion aspect of the agreements comes ahead of Russia's inaugural grand prix, which is scheduled to take place in Sochi next year.

Sauber are to play a role in "attracting the talented young Russian generation towards motorsport" and are to take on driver Sergey Sirotkin with a view to him being handed a race seat for next season.

Sirotkin, who turns 18 next month, currently contests the Formula Renault 3.5 series and lies eighth in the standings. His father, Oleg, is Director General of the National Institute of Aviation Technologies.

Sauber have found the going difficult both on and off the track this season: placed eighth in the Constructors' Championship, they have also been struggling to pay suppliers.

Founder and owner Peter Sauber has sold up once before, to BMW in 2005, and refused to rule out the prospect again. Indeed, there had already been links with Russia: Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich was named as a possible owner as was Boris Rotenberg, who owns SMP bank along with brother Arkady.

Speaking after the recent German GP, Team Principal Monisha Kaltenborn told Autosport: "We have very openly said that this is a difficult time for us, but we are doing all we can to come out of this situation.

"I am confident that we will soon be out of this situation and that is all there is to say about it."
    Looks like Guttierrez is losing his seat!!

just a reminder I posted a thread on new F1 game releasing September! here's the link:
    http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...-videos-inside
    Last edited by nextgen3; 07-15-2013 at 19:39.

Apprentice

PSN ID
    Jordie-SCO-
    I'll need to advertise my racing league then :P

Forum Sage

Ricardo is taking the seat at the YDT. Looks like he is their replacement. Good on him, he's had a good season so far.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by nextgen3 View Post
    Sauber have announced partnerships with three Russian institutions

Deals appear to secure Swiss team's long-term future - and also pave way for teenager's F1 debut?

Looks like Guttierrez is losing his seat!!

just a reminder I posted a thread on new F1 game releasing September! here's the link:
    http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...-videos-inside
    would he though?

according to reports, Sauber haven't paid nico anything for months. its likely he will be looking for a new team.

Guttierrez is in the same boat as the Russian kid though, he's brought n a lot of money from mexico. Sauber will likely run Guttierez and the russian guy simply for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    Ricardo is taking the seat at the YDT. Looks like he is their replacement. Good on him, he's had a good season so far.
    indeed, i'd like to see someone put Vettel under pressure properly, and the only way to do that is in the same car and to finish in a higher position.

Also, Cosworth's long heritage in F1 seems to be at an end. Marussia have signed with Ferrari for their 2014 engines:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula-one/23335006
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Thread Information