Page 176 of 248 FirstFirst ... 166176186 ... LastLast
Results 4,376 to 4,400 of 6178
    Forum Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I've just never enjoyed Silverstone. I've seen a F1 race there back in 2007 and while it was good (I imagine any live race is good) I just don't like the circuit. It's flat and boring! I'm not saying skip the British GP but we should get a better circuit.

Only good thing it has going for it that it is a relatively fast track. Other than that though I don't have much love for it.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    I've just never enjoyed Silverstone. I've seen a F1 race there back in 2007 and while it was good (I imagine any live race is good) I just don't like the circuit. It's flat and boring! I'm not saying skip the British GP but we should get a better circuit.

Only good thing it has going for it that it is a relatively fast track. Other than that though I don't have much love for it.
    That's fair enough, so if you where the FIA which British circuit would you hold it at? Plus if money was no problem would you revamp it to come into line with modern day F1 circuits and facilities?
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Forum Sage
    If money where no object I'd demolish Castle Combe and build a good track on top of it as it's my nearest circuit

Seriously though. Brands Hatch would get my vote. Maybe extended it a little bit as it is a little too short as Varsh said. Current cars could probably do it in a minute which is too quick for F1. A few extra corners would make it a good candidate.

Donnington isn't a bad circuit but it's a bit too simple for F1. Not even sharp turns and it all flows too much.

Really the actual layout of Silverstone is good. It's just the flat nature of it that bothers me. I'm a big lover of elevation in circuits (probably why Eau Rouge is in my eyes one of the best turns) which Silverstone has very little of. If they could create a few hills/banks then I might like it.

Unfortunately though, Silverstone is the only circuit in the UK that can actually host a race of the magnitude that F1 usually gets.

What we need to do is copy Suzuka and put it in Bristol. Perfect

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Bristol version of Suzuka, could work

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    I've been to Castle Coombe several times, a weeeeee bit too short though!

Knockhill would be amazing in an F1 car but most of the track is virtually full of blind corners and would be a nightmare for an F1 driver to know where he's going.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Now that would make for some exciting racing lol!

Few stories on Autosport I thought where worth sharing:

McLaren tips Mercedes as 2014 Formula 1 favourite

McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh believes Mercedes will be the team to beat when Formula 1's new regulations begin in 2014.

The German manufacturer and Ferrari will be the only teams racing with engines of their own design, in a season that will mark the return to V6 turbos following the end of F1's V8 era.

Mercedes was Red Bull's main challenger for most of the 2013 season, the team winning three races on its way to second place in the constructors' championship.

Whitmarsh, whose team will end its Mercedes engine partnership after next season as it switches to Honda, reckons the German carmaker has all the ingredients to take advantage of the rule changes and start 2014 as the strongest outfit.

"Anyone who says at any team, even Red Bull, that they are super confident they are going to win the world championship, you cannot be," Whitmarsh told AUTOSPORT.

"My suspicion is that Mercedes will be strongest.

"I am saying it because I am probably a bit biased, but I also have some reasonable knowledge of the budgets of the three companies.

"I think Mercedes has got a good budget, good facilities and good people. I have no real insight and I think nobody has, but I think I have a slightly better insight than most.

"But if you had an absolutely free choice of which one to go for next year, I would say go for Mercedes-Benz next year."

NEW RULES AN OPPORTUNITY FOR MCLAREN

Martin Whitmarsh

The McLaren boss also reckons the new rules are a good opportunity for his team to getting back to winning after its dismal 2013 season.

"To be honest, do I think we can win next year? Yes," said Whitmarsh.

"Is everything we are doing and everything we are focused on to do that? Yes. So we can do it. Do I know we will? No.

"We like change. I think it is a great opportunity, I see it as an opportunity. It is pretty exciting, very exciting.

"There is always that tingle of what is happening over the winter, but we have really got it this year. When those cars are unveiled, we will all be crawling all over them..."

And this one also as most of us think it's a shame he's no longer in F1:

Bruno Senna to race in Brazilian Stock Car finale

Bruno Senna will make his debut in the Brazilian Stock Car Championship at Interlagos on December 15.

The ex-Williams, Lotus and HRT Formula 1 driver has secured a guest drive in the Stock Cars season finale, which offers a prize of R1,000,000 (255,000) to the winner.

Senna will drive a Peugeot 408-bodied machine entered under the GT Team Raizen banner alongside team-mates Valdeno Brito and Popo Bueno.

This is the second-year in succession a big-name Brazilian has made a one-off appearance in this race after Rubens Barrichello did so last year, before committing full-time to the category in 2013.

"This is going to be a landmark in my career as it will represent my first race in a domestic championship," said Senna.

"It is going to be a tough challenge given the level of the drivers and the competitiveness of the series."

Senna has raced for Aston Martin in the World Endurance Championship this season and is confident he will be able to adapt to the V8-powered silhouette machine he is driving at Interlagos.

"I've been racing in GTE so a car with a roof is not totally unknown for me," he said.

"I already know the track, which is good news, but of course I will look for the guys who also raced in Formula 1 to get some tips and ideas."

This will be the first time a Senna has raced in a domestic car racing category in Brazil.

Ayrton Senna, Bruno's uncle, started car racing in the UK, while Bruno's debut was in Formula BMW GB in 2004.

Source: Autosport

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Really do wish Bruno came back but I get the feeling Williams was the last time we saw of him. So glad he's doing amazingly well in GTE though with a few wins under his belt and lying 3rd in the championship.

As for Castle Combe, found this really nice full race on--board cam

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Looks awesome, have you been round it yourself?

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    I've walked it a few times. I love walking circuits as it gives you a real sense of elevation and camber. When I walked Circuit de Gilles Villeneuve (Montreal) back in 2007 I saw the quick concrete they put down at the chicane that the drivers were complaining about during the previous season. On the TV it looked a little grainy here and there but not too bad, but in person it was atrocious! The wall of champions was pretty cool too. The most amazing thing though is that some of the chicanes they take at ~100mph are unbelievably tight, especially where the wall of champions is, and the sausages kerbs there are friggin' HUGE! I wouldn't even want to walk over it let alone drive a car over it, it would break the suspension - speed bumps, what are they?!

As for Silverstone, it does look pretty flat but it's not actually that flat. The new section is very flat but around Stowe and Luffield it's quite a big difference, especially when going around Stowe into Club Corner. The new Farm Curve actually has a slight inclination to it and the drive down initially goes downwards and then steeply rises upwards to Stowe. You can't really see it on the TV or in the car much but if you walk it you can really feel the difference.

Spa's a bit of a cheat as it's set on a mountain but there's a reason that's one of my all time favourite tracks and it's because of the crazy amount of variation. I don't like the new Bus Stop but it has provided much better racing.

Donnington though is a bit too free flowing like what BBK said but they were working on the infield section to shake things up a bit. It has two hairpins right at the end and a single chicane. Sad that the circuit never came to fruition but ever so glad the owners sorted the track out and put it back to how it was originally otherwise the circuit would've been dead.

Oh another track I would love to have on the calender would be Oulton Park, that circuit is mental and bloody fast!

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    lol I have cycled round the old Silverstone but that's about it, done a few trackdays on the new Silverstone but getting my racing license next year so will be exciting to go to a few more UK circuits!

Another Autosport story worth sharing:

Caterham hoping to land established star for 2014 F1 line-up

Caterham is hoping it can sign an established Formula 1 star to lead its 2014 line-up alongside a less experienced team-mate.

The team hired race winners Heikki Kovalainen and Jarno Trulli for its maiden campaign - under the Team Lotus banner - in 2010, but this season had rookie Giedo van der Garde alongside second-year driver Charles Pic.

Kovalainen stayed on as a reserve driver after losing his race seat this season, but has been strongly linked to a return to a frontline Caterham drive next year.

Van der Garde is believed to have a better chance than Pic of being kept on.

AUTOSPORT understands Mexican Esteban Gutierrez visited Caterham's Leafield base on Wednesday.

Caterham team boss Cyril Abiteboul said the aim is to have a balanced driver pairing for 2014.

"A combination of experience and younger blood is something that will make sense," he told AUTOSPORT.

"As Caterham, we are committed to young people, to young talent. So I think that will stay.

"Experience is nice to have because it gives everyone confidence in terms of feedback and analysis, because next year we will be completely blind at the start.

"Of course there will be plenty of data, but there will be so much information to digest that it may be useful to have a driver who gives proper orientation just to save you time.

"What I don't want to have is the excuse that 'it is not the car, it is the driver'.

"A driver who we know is capable is something we would like to have."

SURPLUS OF EXPERIENCED DRIVERS

Abiteboul said Kovalainen was not the only experienced driver on Caterham's radar, as he expects others to find themselves without seats.

Heikki Kovalainen

"Heikki is one of the options and you see that there is a lot of movement in the paddock," he said.

"I know we are not considered as a priority where we are by some experienced drivers, but maybe there will be more experienced drivers than there are seats available.

"You have [Daniil] Kvyat entering the sport, you have [Kevin] Magnussen entering the sport, you only have one retirement which is [Mark] Webber, so something has to happen.

"We are open to talent, and proven talent, and there are very capable drivers both inside and outside of F1, and lots of discussions going on.

"What I would like is to have something sorted out very quickly."

Also confirmed line ups so far for next season:

Red Bull

Sebastian Vettel Daniel Ricciardo

Mercedes

Lewis Hamilton Nico Rosberg

Ferrari

Fernando Alonso Kimi Raikkonen

Lotus

Romain Grosjean Pastor Maldonado

McLaren

Jenson Button Kevin Magnussen

Force India

Nico Hulkenberg TBA

Sauber

TBA TBA

Toro Rosso

Jean-Eric Vergne Daniil Kvyat

Williams

Felipe Massa Valtteri Bottas

Massuria

Jules Bianchi TBA

Caterham

TBA TBA

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Good luck on getting your licence! I would've killed to get one of those a good 10 years ago but getting into Motorsport is so expensive.

I'll just stick to beating everyone in a Go-Kart.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Cheers mate, it's something I have wanted to do for a long time and now finances are right I am going to go for it, plus I also have a close friend who is going to do it with me so we can half the costs which will help a lot!

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Not F1 related I know but great news after facing closure:

Mallory Park plans 2014 racing return with new operator

Mallory Park is set to resume hosting motor racing in 2014, with the new circuit operator confident it can resolve all issues.

Real Motorsport Limited, set up by British Superbike team boss Stuart Hicken and Eddie Roberts, has taken over the day-to-day running of the circuit.

The future of the Leicestershire circuit had looked bleak after a long-running noise dispute with its local council resulted in the previous leaseholder of the land - and organising club - the British Automobile Racing Club walking away from negotiations.

That led to then-operating company Mallory Park Motorsport Limited being put into administration, before being liquidised last month, a move that allowed control of the land to be placed back into the hands of landowner Titan Properties on December 3.

Hicken and Roberts, who have already met with Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council executives, were awarded the 15-year lease the following day.

"We had to act," Roberts told AUTOSPORT. "The one thing that couldn't happen was it going on for months.

"A lot of people seem to think we've been given a free deal with it but it is out of our own pockets. More to the point, there's going to be more financing needed as we get into it.

"The council would like to see the same things as us. There were some figures [for operating days] shown that made me think that's not too bad, but nothing is official."

BOSSES CONFIDENT OVER AGREEMENT

A forced reduction of on-track activities to two days per week, as per a noise agreement put in place in 1985, was blamed by MPML for its financial difficulty.

Despite its failure to agree an increase in the number of days per year that the circuit is allowed to operate for - originally a maximum 44 days of racing plus testing on Wednesdays - Titan's Ian Wright is confident a successful arrangement can be reached.
    Mallory Park

"The council has agreed in principle a much more flexible agreement," he told AUTOSPORT. "The operators will have a lot more days than they had before - 128 days has been suggested, and it may be expanded."

It is also believed that a new organising club will need to be found before a full racing calendar can be put in place, but Roberts - who is targeting a spring-time resumption of racing - did not rule out working with the BARC again the future.

"We want races running in March but we've got to see what we need to do," he added. "I have no issues with the BARC or previous management. What they've left behind is irrelevant.

"The BARC has already sent us good wishes and we are talking with them in a professional way."

Source: Autosport

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Ha this makes for funny reading:

Pastor Maldonado says his driving in 2013 F1 season was best yet

Pastor Maldonado believes his 2013 Formula 1 season performance was his best yet, despite struggling at the back of the field with Williams.

The Venezuelan, who won last year's Spanish Grand Prix for the team, managed just one point this season thanks to a 10th-place finish in the Hungarian GP.

Maldonado finished behind rookie team-mate Valtteri Bottas in the standings, and was outqualified by the Finn 12-7 by the end of the year.

Despite that, Maldonado, in his third season in F1, feels 2013 was the best he has driven so far.

"Thinking about the results and thinking about what I experienced in F1 for the past three years, I think this is my best year, even though the results are not there," Maldonado told AUTOSPORT.

"I learned a lot from all the mistakes, especially from a technical point of view, and I think I will help the team where I will be [Lotus] not to make the same mistakes. I feel experienced, I feel ready.

"I had so many good races this year with good pace, no penalties. I was in a good learning process.

"The speed was always there because even in my first year I was quicker than Rubens [Barrichello], who was very quick and very experienced. Still the speed is there, you don't get stupid overnight!

"I just need to have a good car, good support from the team and try to improve myself in every way."

Maldonado is now leaving Williams to drive for Lotus in 2014 alongside Romain Grosjean.

The Venezuelan believes his ability to adapt quickly to new conditions and rules will help him shine from the start next season.

"It is the same for everyone so I don't see the point in being worried about it," he added.

"We need to adapt ourselves, both team and driver, for these conditions and I think I am quite good at adapting myself quickly to new things and I hope to be competitive from the beginning."

Doesn't bode well if he thinks that was he best season yet

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Most of the houses around the Mallory Park were built after the track was established.
    And its not liek they do it all through the night, probably finished just before dusk.
    Council $#@!ers.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    The same happened with Rockingham and Ascar, people complained so it got cancelled before it even really took off!

Superior Member

PSN ID
    Jordie-SCO-
    Heard Gutierrez may be going to Caterham...

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    I though he was already booked in for next season with Sauber....

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    for those who don't watch sky (like me) here is a run down of all the changes to the cars coming next year:

also some regulation changes including double points for last race (o_O)
    Formula One Regulation Changes
    FIA Formula One World Championship

MON 09.12.13

Paris – 9 December 2013

Following a meeting of the F1 Strategy Group and the Formula One Commission in Paris today, the following items have been unanimously approved:

• Cost cap

The principle of a global cost cap has been adopted. The limit will be applied from January 2015.

A working group will be established within the coming days comprising the FIA, representatives of the Commercial Rights Holder and Team representatives.

The objective of the working group will be to have regulations approved by the end of June 2014.

• Pirelli Tyre test – Bahrain, 17-19 December, 2013

The F1 Commission agreed to a change to the 2013 Sporting Regulations, on safety grounds, allowing the Formula One tyre supplier to carry out a three-day test in Bahrain from 17-19 December, 2013. All Formula One teams have been invited to take part in the test and six have accepted: Red Bull Racing, Mercedes, Ferrari, McLaren, Force India and Toro Rosso.

• Driver numbers

Drivers will be asked to choose their race number, between 2 and 99, for the duration of their career in the FIA Formula One World Championship. Number 1 will be reserved for the current World Champion, should he choose to use it.

If more than one driver choses the same number, priority will be given to the driver who finished highest in the previous year’s championship.

• New penalties

The principle of a five-second penalty for minor infringements was agreed. In what form such a penalty will be applied will be discussed with Formula One’s teams in order that a new regulation be introduced for 2014 season.

• Points for the last race

Double drivers’ and constructors’ points will be awarded at the final race of the Formula One season in order to maximise focus on the Championship until the end of the campaign.

These changes are immediately applicable, given the mandate assigned to the FIA President at the last World Motor Sport Council meeting, held on 4 December in Paris.

FIA Formula One Press Office
    http://www.fia.com/formula-one-regulation-changes

On maldonado....what a piss poor choice. watch him cost the team $20 million in car damages. hope grojean demolishes him!
    Last edited by Fijiandoce; 12-10-2013 at 05:03.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Drivers choosing their own numbers is pretty cool and a good idea, not sure about double points in the last race though, I think it might be worth seeing how it works at the end of the year and if it does keep the title fight alive till the final race or it would have otherwise been over it will probably work, but if the title has already been decided both ways then it will be a bit pointless!

Forum Sage
    Some interesting rules there. I don't really like change though. Double points sounds stupid.

So Leonardo DiCaprio owns a Forumla E racing team

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Some interesting rules there. I don't really like change though. Double points sounds stupid.

Yep, so do Virgin racing, should be an interesting first season!

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Surebrec

double points is just a stupid gimmick, whoever it is that is thinking these ideas up is turning the sport into a mockery. I like the idea of personalised car numbers though. they should have done that years ago.
    Don't waste your words I don't need anything from you.
    I don't care where you've been or what you plan to do.
    I am the resurrection and I am the light.
    I couldn't ever bring myself to hate you as I'd like.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    double points means double the deficit. 14 point difference between 1st and 2nd, that's the current gap between 1st and 3rd. The gap to third will be 20 lol.

we're down one race next year aren't we? i guess this is just to make up for that loss maybe? :/

Im quite interested in watching the formula E series. should be quite interesting hearing cars making very little sound, bring on that tire squeal!

I wan't to see the redbull design for next year too! damn winter break!
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    I love waiting for the teams to unveil their cars, always makes me wonder if anyone majorly changes their livery, no one seems to have done that in a while!

Thread Information