Page 180 of 247 FirstFirst ... 170180190 ... LastLast
Results 4,476 to 4,500 of 6165
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Surebrec
    you're thinking of pre-qualifying which was done away with in the early 90's, this was a session in its own right for the worst teams of the grid to fight it out to see who would get into the 2 main qualifying sessions.

the 12 laps max had been in place even longer than that.

the 107% rule has only existed in F1 with the single qualifying session setup.
    Don't waste your words I don't need anything from you.
    I don't care where you've been or what you plan to do.
    I am the resurrection and I am the light.
    I couldn't ever bring myself to hate you as I'd like.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Surebrec
    duplicate~

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Looks like Lotus are missing the first test:

Lotus is to miss the first 2014 Formula 1 pre-season test at Jerez in Spain.

Just three weeks before the new 2014 cars are scheduled to run for the first time, Lotus has revealed that its E22 will not join the other outfits in the test that starts on January 28.

Lotus technical director Nick Chester said that the team instead planned to launch its car after Jerez, prior to it running for the first time at the subsequent Bahrain test that begins on February 19.

"We're going to keep our car under wraps a little longer than some other teams," he said. "We've decided that attending the Jerez test isn't ideal for our build and development programme.

"We are likely to unveil the car before attending the Bahrain tests, and in Bahrain we should really be able to put the car through its paces in representative conditions."

Chester added that Lotus had passed some of the mandatory FIA crash tests with its new car and only needed to complete the nose crash test now.

"We've undertaken chassis fits for Romain [Grosjean] and Pastor [Maldonado]. Certainly, our partners who have seen the car have reported themselves to be very impressed with the layout and various solutions to the new technical challenges."

Although missing the Jerez test will cost Lotus the chance to get valuable mileage on the 2014 car, Chester said he was still upbeat about the potential of the E22.

"From our perspective the figures look promising and development has been positive," he said. "That said, we are very much working with very little idea of what the other teams are doing.

"This is the first year of radically different regulations which means that all teams are developing their cars along potentially quite different avenues.

"It's fascinating for us engineers and I hope it is fascinating for the fans too. We think we have a very good solution to the challenge and hopefully this will be seen when the E22 turns its wheels in anger."
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    McLaren have announced the new car reveal date:

McLaren is to unveil its 2014 Formula 1 car with an online launch on January 24, four days before the first test begins at Jerez.

Although a majority of teams are expected to wait until arriving in Spain before launching their cars, McLaren has opted to go public beforehand.

The team announced on Tuesday that it will hold a digital-only launch at midday on Friday January 24 to reveal its new MP4-29.

The Woking-based outfit hopes that the new car will help it return to the front of the grid, following a disappointing 2013 campaign where it failed to secure a podium finish.

Mercedes is the only other team to have announced its launch plans, with the team set to roll out its W05 at Jerez on January 28.

So that's McLaren and Mercedes so far, wonder who will be next....

Superior Member

PSN ID
    Jordie-SCO-
    Sky Sports were saying that Mclaren are meant to be running a new livery for 2014.

Hope its Volcano Orange!!!

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Quote Originally Posted by JordieDAFC View Post
    Sky Sports were saying that Mclaren are meant to be running a new livery for 2014.

Hope its Volcano Orange!!!
    That will be interesting to see if it's true!

Caterham have now announced their car reveal date:

Caterham will unveil its 2014 Formula 1 car on the morning of the opening winter test at Jerez.

The team joins Mercedes in holding a roll-out immediately prior to the start of testing in Spain on January 28.

Caterham's announcement confirms that its new chassis will be ready for the first test.

Earlier this week Lotus revealed that it would not run its car until the Bahrain tests in February.

Apart from Caterham and Mercedes, the only other F1 team to announce its 2014 launch plans so far is McLaren, which is doing an online unveiling on January 24.

Caterham will retain Renault power for 2014, but has yet to reveal its driver line-up.

2014 PRE-SEASON F1 DATES

Car launches

Team Date
    McLaren January 24
    Mercedes January 28
    Caterham January 28

Testing

Venue Date
    Jerez January 28-31
    Sakhir February 19-22
    Sakhir February 27-March 2

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    This driver choosing their own numbers thing is a bit odd?!

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12...he-2014-season

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Not the first time it's been done, plus Moto GP have done it for years now but it is a bit strange they have decided to do it for F1....

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Only 2 seats open now and both at Caterham, Chilton has secured his seat for another year:

Max Chilton will line up alongside Jules Bianchi again in 2014, after Marussia confirmed it will retain the Briton for a second Formula 1 season.

The 22-year-old made his grand prix debut with the team last year, taking a best finish of 14th in Monaco.

He set an F1 rookie record by finishing all 19 races, and made it into Q2 for the first time at the Belgian Grand Prix.

Chilton's capture of the second Marussia seat was officially announced at this year's AUTOSPORT International.

AUTOSPORT International live blog

"I'm so glad to make the announcement," said Chilton. "I'm really thankful that Marussia believed in me and gave me a second year.

"Continuity for me is absolutely key. I did three years in GP2, the first year I learnt well and the second year we pushed on. We could go for poles and wins and the whole atmosphere changed.

"Hopefully that will happen with Marussia."

Marussia sporting director Graeme Lowdon said the team had been keen to have stability on the driver front, particularly with such major changes being ushered in for the 2014 season.

"There were two things that we were looking at," Lowdon told AUTOSPORT.

"One is that we have never had continuity of both drivers from one season to another during our stint in F1.

Max Chilton, Marussia, Brazilian GP 2013, Interlagos

"With the technical rule changes that are coming through, that is important.

"There was [also] real solid improvement from Max last year, particularly from the break onwards.

"We have known Max for a long time. Look at his performance in the lower formulas. He hasn't jumped from formula to formula quickly, he has stayed in a formula and learned.

"You can see that from mid-season onwards there were some really impressive improvements so he pretty much ticked all of the boxes for us to go forward in 2014."

Chilton's appointment means just two seats remain open on the 2014 F1 grid, both at Caterham.

Current 2014 F1 driver line-up:

Red Bull-Renault Sebastian Vettel Daniel Ricciardo
    Mercedes Lewis Hamilton Nico Rosberg
    Ferrari Fernando Alonso Kimi Raikkonen
    Lotus-Renault Romain Grosjean Pastor Maldonado
    McLaren-Mercedes Jenson Button Kevin Magnussen
    Force India-Mercedes Nico Hulkenberg Sergio Perez
    Sauber-Ferrari Adrian Sutil Esteban Gutierrez
    Toro Rosso-Renault Jean-Eric Vergne Daniil Kvyat
    Williams-Mercedes Felipe Massa Valtteri Bottas
    Marussia-Ferrari Jules Bianchi Max Chilton
    Caterham-Renault tba tba

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Surebrec
    I wonder how much his dad paid for his seat this year.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    I think he deserves a second season to be honest, one season for a rookie just isn't enough in my view unless they are really under-performing!

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Surebrec
    being outqualified by another rookie in the same equipment to the tune of 17-2, and being beaten in the races themselves where both drivers have finished 12-1, well that's about as conclusive as it gets. that's not down to underperforming, that's just sucking donkey balls in terms of pace and ability. I think on average, he was close to being consistantly half a second slower than bianchi when it mattered.

I just don't think he's good enough, and without his dad's funding, he wouldn't have come close to F1.

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    I agree with Sub, regardless if he drives for a bottom team, he is just plan $#@!!

Does anyone know why Lewis chose 44? Was that cos JB got 22 1st so he just doubled it?!

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Forum Sage
    Someone needs to fill that P22

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Surebrec View Post
    being outqualified by another rookie in the same equipment to the tune of 17-2, and being beaten in the races themselves where both drivers have finished 12-1, well that's about as conclusive as it gets. that's not down to underperforming, that's just sucking donkey balls in terms of pace and ability. I think on average, he was close to being consistantly half a second slower than bianchi when it mattered.

I just don't think he's good enough, and without his dad's funding, he wouldn't have come close to F1.
    Finishing every race is just as important. not like his team mate scored more points than him is it.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864

You could say that about many past and present drivers though, how do you know he won't have a better second season and outrace his team mate?? Yes granted it probably won't happen but in F1 anything is possible!

And Hamilton chose 44 because he shot to fame winning the Champions of the Future series in his junior career with the No 44 adorned on his kart, and he's hoping for similar success when the new campaign begins in Australia in March.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Surebrec
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Finishing every race is just as important. not like his team mate scored more points than him is it.
    finishing every race in the points is important, finishing every race at the back is meaningless, if anything, it offers the suggestion that a driver is not pushing the car to anywhere near its breaking point, whether that is due to not trying to, or bot being able to.

it's not about scoring points when you are in a car that is incapable of doing so, it's how you stack up against the one other person on the grid, the driver that has the exact same equipment at their disposal as you.

the worst driver of 2013 for me by a long shot, is chilton. the sad thing for him as far as I can see, is that there is no light at the end of the tunnel, if anything, I can see chilton being even further behind his team mate in 2014, that's because he doesn't have the ability to improve at the same rate as bianchi.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    finishing every race in the points is important, finishing every race at the back is meaningless, if anything, it offers the suggestion that a driver is not pushing the car to anywhere near its breaking point, whether that is due to not trying to, or bot being able to.

it's not about scoring points when you are in a car that is incapable of doing so, it's how you stack up against the one other person on the grid, the driver that has the exact same equipment at their disposal as you.

the worst driver of 2013 for me by a long shot, is chilton. the sad thing for him as far as I can see, is that there is no light at the end of the tunnel, if anything, I can see chilton being even further behind his team mate in 2014, that's because he doesn't have the ability to improve at the same rate as bianchi.
    He did make it through to qualifying 2 though, that's an achievement in itself for a back of the grid team!

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Surebrec
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1986 View Post
    You could say that about many past and present drivers though, how do you know he won't have a better second season and outrace his team mate?? Yes granted it probably won't happen but in F1 anything is possible!

And Hamilton chose 44 because he shot to fame winning the Champions of the Future series in his junior career with the No 44 adorned on his kart, and he's hoping for similar success when the new campaign begins in Australia in March.
    I can't think of many, especially in the modern era that were so far off the pace of a rookie team mate. if he was so far off the pace of bianchi while both were rookies, I don't see him getting close to overhauling the deficit that was there last season, let alone the deficit that may very well exist in 2014 due to an improving bianchi.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Surebrec
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1986 View Post
    He did make it through to qualifying 2 though, that's an achievement in itself for a back of the grid team!
    so did bianchi, who outqualified him.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    I can't think of many, especially in the modern era that were so far off the pace of a rookie team mate. if he was so far off the pace of bianchi while both were rookies, I don't see him getting close to overhauling the deficit that was there last season, let alone the deficit that may very well exist in 2014 due to an improving bianchi.
    True, I can see Bianchi moving on quickly as he is a decent driver and the best rookie last year, where as I can see Chilton in for one more year then finding somewhere else to race unless he has suddenly developed real talent over the winter period lol

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Very sad breaking news:

John Button, the father of Formula 1 driver Jenson Button who enjoyed success in his own career in rallycross, has passed away. He was 70.

"It is with great sadness and regret that I can confirm John Button passed away at his home in the south of France on Sunday," Button's management team said in a statement.

"Whilst we await confirmation, initial signs would indicate a suspected heart attack. A close friend who was visiting John on Sunday was the first to discover the tragic news.

"John's children Jenson, Natasha, Samantha and Tanya and the rest of the family are clearly devastated and ask for their privacy to be respected during this extremely difficult time."

Having become a near ever-present during his son's grand prix career, John was a hugely popular figure in the F1 paddocks over the past 15 years.

John's passion for motor racing had been with him throughout his life, having competed successfully in rallycross during the 1970s.

He was a runner-up in the 1976 RAC British Rallycross Championship and famously competed in a VW Beetle that due to its striking colour scheme became known as a 'Colorado Beetle.'

It was natural for him to push his son Jenson - named after rallycross friend Erling Jensen - into motor racing when his own career ended, and John became a strong force in helping Jenson reach the very top.

John missed only one of Jenson's F1 races but, as well as being his son's biggest fan, it was his enthusiasm for motor racing as a whole that really shone through.

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh, who got to know John well since signing Jenson at the end of his title winning 2009 campaign, was one of the first to offer his condolences.

"In my long Formula 1 career, I've encountered many drivers' fathers, but I think it's safe to say that John was perhaps more devoted to his son than any of them," said Whitmarsh.

"Ever since Jenson was a boy, racing go-karts, his dad has been at his side, helping him, supporting him, finding the money for the next race.

"As Jenson grew older, and continued to win in cars, still John was always there, his most steadfast helper and supporter.

"And, even now, in recent years, during which Jenson has become the consummate Formula 1 world champion that he is, the most experienced driver on the Formula 1 grid in fact, still John has been ever-present, as loyal and as loving as ever, a benign and popular member of Jenson's small and intimate entourage.

"This coming season will be Jenson's fifth as a McLaren driver. I believe John has attended every grand prix over the past four seasons, and over that period he's become a unique and, I think it's fair to say, irreplaceable part of the McLaren 'family'.

"He was not only a great dad, but also a lovely man, and he'll be enormously missed by Jenson, of course, by all at McLaren, and indeed by the Formula 1 community at large.

"I'm sure that everyone at McLaren, and indeed everyone in Formula 1, will join me in sending our heartfelt condolences to Jenson, to the Button family, and to their many friends."

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Ferrari will unveil its 2014 Formula 1 car on the weekend before the first pre-season test begins at Jerez in Spain.

The Italian outfit has announced that images of its new challenger will be revealed on January 25 - just 24 hours after McLaren becomes the first team to launch its car.

Ferrari has also asked fans to help choose the designation of the car that Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen will race this year.

It has asked supporters to pick their preferred choice out of five options: F14 T, F14 Maranello, F14 Scuderia, F166 Turbo or F616.

Fans have until next Friday to choose their favourite on Ferrari's official website, with the winning option being announced on January 24.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I would laugh my arse off if everyone votes F14T

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    I think F166 Turbo has a very nice ring to it!

Thread Information