Page 192 of 266 FirstFirst ... 182192202 ... LastLast
Results 4,776 to 4,800 of 6649
    Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    It will be Mercedes Petronas leading the way. Not the other fake Mercedes teams

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Superior Member

PSN ID
    Jordie-SCO-
    I didn't realise the other teams were trying to be Mercedes...

Nico Rosberg Sergio Perez Kevin Magnussen

Elite Sage
    Yeah I can see Rosberg getting his first WDC this year!

/trolling 33x

Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    Yeah I can see Rosberg getting his first WDC this year!

/trolling 33x
    going off of testing, that might not be far off. I'd love to see hamilton win again but anything is better than another vettel wdc.

just not getting my hopes up yet, I'll wait and see how the first couple of races go.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Susie Wolff is getting more time at the helm of an F1 car this year. She'll be participating in Practise sessions throughout the year. She's practically on the doorstep of a drive now

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/26303405

On a side note:

Ross Brawn raised the mercedes team to where they are. Paddy Lowe better be competent in his position. Ditching Ross at this time could come back to bite the mercs upper managment in the future.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    I must admit it would be nice to see a female F1 driver even if it is for 1 season, would be a nice change in pace!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/duffman041986/profile

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Surebrec
    it's only a matter of time, I've been saying it for a while now. to be honest, I'm surprised one of the back teams hasn't picked up on the gimmick factor before now.

any female driver would be more marketable for a back-of-the-grid team than the likes of chilton, purely for the gimmick factor, even if they are ultimately worse in terms of ability. I'm sure the team that did take the leap first would get a fair lump of financial backing from fashion labels, beauty products etc.

it's going to happen sooner rather than later, but I really think it will be for the wrong reason.
    Don't waste your words I don't need anything from you.
    I don't care where you've been or what you plan to do.
    I am the resurrection and I am the light.
    I couldn't ever bring myself to hate you as I'd like.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    There is a reason why the sponsors are mostly man things. Not because there are no women in the sport but because mostly men watch it.

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Nice round up of the Bahrain test for your enjoyment:

Nico Rosberg set the fastest time of the week in Formula 1 testing in Bahrain, as reigning champion Red Bull suffered another torrid four days of pre-season running.

Rosberg topped the final day of the test, during which Mercedes-engined teams dominated the timesheets.

Force India's Nico Hulkenberg and McLaren's Kevin Magnussen set the pace across the first two days, before Lewis Hamilton and Rosberg each took a turn to lead the way for the works team.

Rosberg's final benchmark of 1m33.283s put him within a second of his own pole time from last year's race at the same venue.

However, the team did find a number of issues with the F1 W05 over the course of the test, showing that even the more comfortable teams are not immune to the difficulties of mastering this new formula.

While there were plenty of positives for the four Mercedes-powered squads (Williams was so advanced in its programme that it spent day three doing pitstop practice, while McLaren set top-four times on each day with Magnussen and Jenson Button driving), there was more disquiet at Renault outfit Red Bull.

The team suffered problems with its RB10 throughout the test, limiting Daniel Ricciardo and world champion Sebastian Vettel to a combined total of 116 laps, with a best lap time of 1m39.837s set by Ricciardo on the final day.

By contrast, Rosberg's best lap time of the week was over 6.5 seconds faster, while Mercedes completed a grand total of 315 laps between its two drivers.

The other Renault-powered teams encountered plenty of difficulties too.

Lotus looked in deep trouble early on, and Romain Grosjean cut a dejected figure in the paddock during the first two days.
    But 59 laps for Pastor Maldonado on the final day (which still featured plenty of technical issues) gave the team cause for greater optimism.

"Major" technical problems for Toro Rosso, and Caterham only logging decent mileage by turning the engine down on days one and three, made for many a furrowed brow among the other teams using Renault propulsion.

Meanwhile, Ferrari completed a solid if unspectacular amount of running with Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen.

The Scuderia amassed nearly 300 laps across four days, despite a telemetry issue restricting Raikkonen to just 44 laps on Friday before he crashed the car at the end of the final day.

Apart from Esteban Gutierrez (who racked up 151 laps and set the eighth fastest time of the test), drivers in the Ferrari customer teams endured a difficult test.

The Mexican's team-mate Adrian Sutil clocked 82 laps on day one, but only seven on the final day, when the Swiss team discovered a chassis problem on the C33.

Marussia arguably endured the worst test of all the teams, completing less than 30 laps across four days, thanks to IT, engine and fuel system difficulties.

Combined times:

Pos Driver Team Time Gap

1. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m33.283s

2. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1m34.263s +0.980s

3. Kevin Magnussen McLaren-Mercedes 1m34.910s +1.627s

4. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1m34.957s +1.674s

5. Nico Hulkenberg Force India-Mercedes 1m36.445s +3.162s

6. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m36.516s +3.233s

7. Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari 1m36.718s +3.435s

8. Felipe Massa Williams-Mercedes 1m37.066s +3.783s

9. Esteban Gutierrez Sauber-Ferrari 1m37.180s +3.897s

10. Valtteri Bottas Williams-Mercedes 1m37.328s +4.045s

11. Sergio Perez Force India-Mercedes 1m37.367s +4.084s

12. Felipe Nasr Williams-Mercedes 1m37.569s +4.286s

13. Pastor Maldonado Lotus-Renault 1m38.707s +5.424s

14. Daniil Kvyat Toro Rosso-Renault 1m38.974s +5.691s

15. Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull-Renault 1m39.837s +6.554s

16. Kamui Kobayashi Caterham-Renault 1m39.855s +6.572s

17. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1m40.224s +6.941s

18. Adrian Sutil Sauber-Ferrari 1m40.443s +7.160s

19. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso-Renault 1m40.472s +7.189s

20. Romain Grosjean Lotus-Renault 1m41.670s +8.387s

21. Marcus Ericsson Caterham-Renault 1m42.130s +8.847s

22. Max Chilton Marussia-Ferrari 1m42.511s +9.228s

23. Robin Frijns Caterham-Renault 1m42.534s +9.251s

24. Jules Bianchi Marussia-Ferrari no time

Distance by driver

Pos Driver Team Laps Km

1. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 174 941

2. Valtteri Bottas Williams-Mercedes 171 925

3. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 169 914

4. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 161 871

5. Esteban Gutierrez Sauber-Ferrari 151 817

6. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 141 763

7. Nico Hulkenberg Force India-Mercedes 137 741

8. Kevin Magnussen McLaren-Mercedes 127 687

9. Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari 126 681

10. Marcus Ericsson Caterham-Renault 102 552

11. Adrian Sutil Sauber-Ferrari 89 481

12. Felipe Nasr Williams-Mercedes 87 470

13. Pastor Maldonado Lotus-Renault 85 460

14. Kamui Kobayashi Caterham-Renault 83 449

15. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso-Renault 77 416

16. Sergio Perez Force India-Mercedes 76 411

17. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 73 395

18. Robin Frijns Caterham-Renault 68 368

19. Felipe Massa Williams-Mercedes 65 351

20. Daniil Kvyat Toro Rosso-Renault 62 335

21. Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull-Renault 43 232

22. Romain Grosjean Lotus-Renault 26 140

23. Max Chilton Marussia-Ferrari 21 113

24. Jules Bianchi Marussia-Ferrari 8 43

Distance by team

Pos Team Laps Km

1. Williams 323 1748

2. Mercedes 315 1704

3. McLaren 296 1601

4. Ferrari 287 1553

5. Caterham 253 1369

6. Sauber 240 1298

7. Force India 213 1152

8. Toro Rosso 139 752

9. Red Bull 116 627

10. Lotus 111 600

11. Marussia 29 156

Distance by engine manufacturer

Laps Km

1. Mercedes 1147 6207

2. Renault 619 3350

3. Ferrari 556 3009

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Surebrec
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    There is a reason why the sponsors are mostly man things. Not because there are no women in the sport but because mostly men watch it.
    you missed the point I was making.

female viewing figures are higher than a lot of people might realise. an article I read a year or so ago put the estimate at between 30-35% of global viewers being female, higher than at any time before. the addition of a female driver to the mix would probably add a few extra % onto that number over a period of a couple of seasons.

there IS a market targeting female viewers to be cornered, but it's only a market that would be attractive to a bottom team. for a team that is struggling for funding, with not many options, the gimmick of a female driver may not necessarily be a worse choice than some of the current pay-to-drive ones. I'm just surprised someone has not come up with the idea already.

the reason why mostly men watch it, is because it's still a man's sport, despite the occasional woman popping up here and there.

more women drivers in F1 would lead to more females watching, just as more black people have tuned on to it since the arrival of hamilton, and more spaniards getting onboard with the advent of alonso.
    Don't waste your words I don't need anything from you.
    I don't care where you've been or what you plan to do.
    I am the resurrection and I am the light.
    I couldn't ever bring myself to hate you as I'd like.

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Seems like Kobayashi might go back to GP2

Kamui Kobayashi believes that a GP2 car would be quicker than his Caterham F1 machine in its current state after two pre-season tests.

The Japanese racer ended the first Bahrain F1 test with a best lap of 1m39.8s, which is four tenths of a second slower than last year's GP2 pole at the same circuit for 2013 champion Fabio Leimer.

While most Renault-powered teams are focusing on making their cars reliable at the moment, Kobayashi is keen to help Caterham find some more speed at next week's final pre-season test.

"We are not in race conditions here, but if we were in race conditions I think I should bring a GP2 car," Kobayashi told reporters in Bahrain.

"The lap time is still quicker in GP2. We need to work, but in this moment if we were to race, I think it's not Formula 1.

"When you look at the lap time, I need to be worried. I cannot be happy, but I have to think about what we can do.

"Time is very limited, and we need to think about reliability, but also performance. We have to try as much as we can."

The ex-Toyota and Sauber man added that he is not particularly interested in having to rely purely on reliability for Caterham to land more competitive results than it has experienced so far in F1.

When asked by AUTOSPORT if a slow car that was reliable could enable the team to score its first points, Kobayashi said: "I am not looking for that.

"I'm looking more for the potential for us to catch up. This is the most important part of why I am here.

"I'm not just thinking about finishing the race, of course I also need performance.

"This year is the biggest chance for this team.

"There is a lot of chance and possibility, but at the moment we are a little bit off the pace compared with the other teams on the development side."

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Really good to see Williams doing so well in testing, especially if they're doing pit stops! I honestly have a good feeling coming into this season that Williams will be at the back of the front runners now, or perhaps even occasionally encroaching for possible podiums.

Mercedes and McLaren though seem to be the ones to beat with Ferrari not far behind if they can work out some of the problems they have. Force India I'm unsure about but it does show one thing, Nico Hulkenberg is without a doubt someone to keep an eye on in this season.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    Jordie-SCO-
    Guy on Youtube who does analysis of F1 cars thinks that all the Mercedes teams are ahead of the Ferrari ones so Williams could be back on the podium
    Nico Rosberg Sergio Perez Kevin Magnussen

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Quote Originally Posted by JordieDAFC View Post
    Guy on Youtube who does analysis of F1 cars thinks that all the Mercedes teams are ahead of the Ferrari ones so Williams could be back on the podium
    Would be nice to see Williams score some more podiums, would be funny if Massa scored more podiums then Kimi Riakonnen

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Speaking of Williams, they've got another person on board and I think it was going to be obvious on who it is: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112640

Felipe Massa's former race engineer Rob Smedley has joined Williams in the newly-created role of head of vehicle performance.

Williams has confirmed that Smedley "will strengthen the trackside team whilst also supporting the development work back at the factory".

While Massa has also joined the team from Ferrari, he will not be race engineered by the Briton.

AUTOSPORT understands that the need to ensure the factory is best serving the race team has been targeted as an area of improvement for Williams since chief technical officer Pat Symonds took over last year.

Smedley will be key to this process, effectively assuming a senior role in the garage that will ensure the link between track and base works as effectively as possible.

Williams has also confirmed that Richard Lockwood has joined from Marussia, where he worked as a tyre/strategy engineer. He has been appointed head of race strategy to work with incumbent strategist Randeep Singh.

These are the latest in a series of moves to push the team back up the grid following the recruitment of Rod Nelson to run the testing operation and Jakob Andreasen as head of engineering operations.

"Williams is undergoing change and these new appointments reflect how high our ambitions are," said Symonds.

"We have a number of senior people joining us to assist us in the pursuit of those ambitions and I am extremely excited to welcome them on-board.

"2014 gives us the biggest change to the technical regulations that I have seen in my career, and so it will be important to add further depth to the talent we already have here as we head into the new season.

"Williams has always prided itself on engineering excellence and this latest announcement is part of our continued goal to bring success back to the team."

The team has also confirmed that Pastor Maldonado's 2013 race engineer, Andrew Murdoch, will work with Massa with Jonathan Eddolls continuing with Valtteri Bottas.

Xevi Pujolar, chief race engineer at Williams last year, has moved to Toro Rosso where he will work with Jean-Eric Vergne.

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    2014 could be a very good year for Williams!

Can't wait to see what they look like with the Martini colours.....
    Last edited by Duffman; 02-25-2014 at 20:46.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce

Teams Power Ranking following Bahrain

11. Marussia:

10. Red Bull:

9. Toro Roso:

8. Lotus:

7. Caterham:

6. Sauber

5. Force India

4. Ferrari

3. Williams

2. McLaren

1. Mercedes

Source

Would be sweet if Williams and Ferrari were racing together xD

Hope this is Maldonado's final season too. guy sucks monkey nutts.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Not too long now and we will really see what the running order is, can't wait!!

This could be the best season for quite a few years

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    McLaren vs Williams is what I would love to see the most, such a famous historic rivalry between the two. 1984 to 1998 WCCs were won by none other than those two constructors (except for Benetton in 1995). Utter domination and I would love for that to happen again. Mercedes though is going to make things difficult for either of them to win a championship. I am just so damn happy that Williams is right back up there again - in testing at least.

14th March can't come soon enough!

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    McLaren vs Williams is what I would love to see the most, such a famous historic rivalry between the two. 1984 to 1998 WCCs were won by none other than those two constructors (except for Benetton in 1995). Utter domination and I would love for that to happen again. Mercedes though is going to make things difficult for either of them to win a championship. I am just so damn happy that Williams is right back up there again - in testing at least.

14th March can't come soon enough!
    Cool the F1 season starts on my birthday

Apparently the USA grand Prix is the same day the NAscar races
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/gossage...1399--spt.html
    Last edited by keefy; 02-26-2014 at 14:54.

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    I shall be getting up just before 7 to watch it, cannot be missed!!

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Think its too soon to say Williams are back, very much doubt they are. Everyone suspected Mercedes would be the team to beat once the the rules/engines kicked and so far its looking like they may be. Driver line up aint to shabby either!

This isnt just the fact im a Lewis fan too.

As for Mclaren, JB and KM arent good enough drivers to win anything....unless their car is summit special!

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Quote Originally Posted by 33x View Post
    Think its too soon to say Williams are back, very much doubt they are. Everyone suspected Mercedes would be the team to beat once the the rules/engines kicked and so far its looking like they may be. Driver line up aint to shabby either!

This isnt just the fact im a Lewis fan too.

As for Mclaren, JB and KM arent good enough drivers to win anything....unless their car is summit special!
    Your only saying that because you hate McLaren

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Button excels with a tough team-mate, Magnusson seems to have the speed so I'm sure JB will be wanting to keep him behind for sure. Williams though I believe are back simply because all Mercedes powered teams are way ahead of everyone else and Williams have had some key F1 figures move to them in the last year.

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Autosport seem to think so as well Varsh:

The curry club is back. With the success of a Formula 1 team so dependent on how its individuals come together, a great spirit within a squad can often provide the catalyst for some pretty sensational things.

Get the right collection of people in place, and the magic flows. Just look at Williams.

If you wanted to single out one team that has landed on its feet in 2014 - through a combination of hard work, good fortunes and others getting it wrong - then you need look no further than Williams.

How smart do the boys and girls at Grove look after making the switch from Renault to Mercedes? And how satisfied must they be to have the bright talent of Valtteri Bottas alongside the vastly experienced Felipe Massa?

How relieved are they to have got rid of the frustrations surrounding Pastor Maldonado without his departure actually hurting their finances much? And how excited must they be to know that they have a hugely ramped-up technical structure under the wise guidance of Pat Symonds?

The good news has kept rolling in, with a host of top-quality staff joining over the winter.
    Pat Symonds Williams F1 2014
    Symonds and Nelson with Flavio Briatore at Benetton © LAT

One of those has been the hugely respected Rod Nelson from Lotus, as the team's new chief test and support engineer.

His arrival marks the reunion of a triumvirate with Symonds and chief designer Ed Wood.

"It's great to be back with Pat and Ed; we were all at Benetton so it's very good," said Nelson.

"We're curry club us three; we go for a curry every three months and have a bit of a boys' night. It's very nice..."

The mojo that comes from that kind of bonding should not be underestimated.

And neither can having the kind of engineering brainpower that deputy team principal Claire Williams worked hook and crook to convince to come to Grove and turn the team around.

Before the 2014 generation of F1 cars had left the factories to head to Jerez, one senior engineer from a rival operation suggested that the start of the campaign would be the perfect stomping ground for some of F1's 'wise old men' such as Symonds to really shine in delivering a solid car that would produce results.

It was no surprise, then, that the early indications from the FW36 on display at the Jerez test were positive - it lapped pretty reliability and was swift too. The smile radiating from Massa could not be wiped away.

And yet it was from under the skin, and in the power-unit data figures, that perhaps the most impressive piece of news emerged.
    Could superior cooling lift Williams to the front of the pack?

This is a year when cooling is going to be important for success, and Red Bull showed at Jerez exactly what happens when you get it wrong.

One of the eye-opening suggestions from Jerez was that the most impressive cooling figures out of all the Mercedes teams were not being produced by the cars from Brackley.

Instead, they were from those blue machines. Things could be very interesting, then, when the temperatures hot up at the start of the season.

That may prove to be a new dawn for Williams, with brighter things on the horizon too, for before the campaign gets underway there's likely to be a further double dose of good news.

On the staffing side, Rob Smedley's arrival when he is finally released from his Ferrari contract will be a boon to further bolster the brainpower.

And in terms of finances - and delighting fans with what could become the best paint scheme on the grid - a title sponsorship deal with Martini Racing is set to be announced before the start of the season.

That will be a huge statement of intent about why Williams is back.

Curry and Martini have never been typical bedfellows. But in 2014, they could well be a recipe for Williams success.

Thread Information