Page 212 of 266 FirstFirst ... 202212222 ... LastLast
Results 5,276 to 5,300 of 6646
    PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Autosport
    The FIA Court of Appeal's hearing of Red Bull's attempt to overturn Daniel Ricciardo's disqualification from the Australian Grand Prix was a test case for Formula 1's new fuel-efficiency regulations.

By rejecting it, the court ensures the viability of the fuel-flow sensor to police both the 100kg/h maximum fuel flow and the 100kg-per-race fuel allowance.

As the FIA's legal representative, Andrew Taylor argued, competition cannot be allowed to become the "wild west".

That does not mean Red Bull's appeal was frivolous. While the media is not privy to the written testimony and data, based on yesterday's six-hour hearing in Paris, there are grounds to believe Red Bull did not exceed the fuel-flow limit.

It was crucial to Red Bull's case to be able to prove this with certainty. This was difficult given data gathered from the fuel rail on which the injectors are mounted still needs to be run through software to calculate the flow rate.

You can understand why Red Bull wanted to rely on its own, likely more accurate data.

This was not a case of cheating, because it was done in plain sight. But it was a clear challenge to the policing of the regulations.

These ultrasonic sensors are new technology. While measuring flow in stable conditions is relatively straightforward, to do so instantaneously in a moving car under demanding conditions is not.

The FIA has established a calibration protocol and the error bars are big enough to ensure that only clear cases of going over the fuel-flow limit as measured by the meters are punished.

In the long-term, the technology does need to improve to be as precise as is required for F1. All teams have encountered problems and there are discrepancies between their own data and what the sensors say.

It's tempting to cast Red Bull as the bad guy in all this, trying to pull a fast one. But it had a legitimate case and the hearing cast light on the current state of this technology.

No verifiable reason was given for why the fuel-flow meter it used during the race in Australia had started reading higher than before after the first three runs of free practice two.

And as Red Bull's legal team pointed out, the sensor in question was in the possession of the FIA but without any subsequent testing to understand exactly why there was this difference.

All of this points to more analysis and development being necessary because there are question marks about just how level this playing field is and whether race results will be distorted by the accuracy of any given sensor.

For now, while the sensors are not perfect, they are necessary. It's not ideal, but self-policing is even more dangerous.

This is why the verdict was probably the best one for F1.
    Source: Autosport

Good.

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    This is why the verdict was probably the best one for F1.
    Agreed, think other teams might have kicked up a $#@! storm if Red Bull had won the appeal, shame for Riccardo but at the end of the day none of the blame lies with him!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/duffman041986/profile

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    I hand my last assignment in today, in 15 hours to be exact. after which, my mid term break will more or less have started. what better way to start it than an F1 weekend

Oh, im going to laze on my couch for as many days as i can get away with!

On topic though:
    Good to see some integrity maintained by the FIA.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Yep, Chinese GP this weekend, would quite like to see Rosberg win, he goes well round Shanghai!

Good news!

Not that Red Bull lost, but now there can be no arguing it, the FIA says you use their flow meter then you bloody well use it lol.

Looking forward to the Chinese GP. Want to see another merc show down. Hamilton had it in the bag ( i think ) before the safety car came out. I want to see them go toe to toe on a level playing field, no tyre differences. I'd like to see Hamilton win again, he deserves another championship, but I wouldn't be complaining if Rosberg took it.

What would be interesting is seeing some one else able to keep them a little more honest. But don't see how anyone can close that 2 second a lap gap they had at the end of the last race in such a short space of time. The Red Bull does look to have a good chassis again, but Renault need to sort there $#@! out.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Yesterday I was playing F1 2013 and decided to give a try out with the 1992 Williams and I forgot how much grip active suspension gave the car! That thing was glued to the road, I can see why Williams thrashed everyone that season now. Then I decided to have a look at Autosport and this is what I read (posted 2 days ago):
    Quote Originally Posted by Autosport
    Formula 1 teams are considering lifting the ban on active suspension as part of a move to control costs, AUTOSPORT has learned.

With F1's Strategy Group having decided against a cost cap, it is instead looking at alternative ways to keep spending under control.

And one of the proposals being evaluated is to allow active suspension back in F1 for the first time since 1993 (pictured).

The belief is that the electronic technology would actually be more cost effective for teams in terms of achieving the optimum car set-up than the current complicated mechanical-only systems.

The move is being considered for 2017, and could come in at the same time as a switch to 18-inch tyre rims.

AUTOSPORT understands that a number of other short and long-term proposals are being evaluated by the Strategy Group for implementation over the next few years.

They include efforts to simplify parts of the car where there is currently vast expense, including in the fuel system, crash structures, the front wing design, inter-connected front and rear suspension, and brake ducts.

There could also be tweaks to the GP weekend curfew hours and further reductions on staff numbers allowed at races.
    Source - Autosport

Make it happen! The front wing is really horrible and I hate it, have done since they started doing extravagant designs around 2003 onwards. Active suspension will negate the need for an inter-connected suspension too. Removing brake ducts would be an interesting one though, there would be a lot of brake failures I would have thought which would mean back to the old fashioned brake management and coasting to corners.

edit: Interesting reason why Mercedes is so much faster than the other customer teams:

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    This makes me laugh, just remove Maldonado from the race track and there will be hardly any collisions to penalize

Pastor Maldonado fears that Formula 1 drivers could get too scared to battle hard wheel-to-wheel if the FIA continues to hand out penalties for racing incidents.

The Venezuelan faces a five-place grid drop at this weekend's Chinese Grand Prix for having tipped Esteban Gutierrez into a roll in Bahrain a fortnight ago.

But after putting the Sakhir incident down to a simple misunderstanding, Maldonado thinks there is a danger of FIA punishments acting as a deterrent to hard battles.

"The rules are the same for everyone, so you need to avoid incidents," he said. "But at the same time [the threat of penalties means] you cannot race, you need to only stay on track and wait for problems.

"If you attack and your manoeuvre is not that clear, or the guy is defending the place and you have a gamble, and you are fighting, you can be penalised.

"So they [the FIA] need to be slightly more flexible.

"We are racing drivers and we are always taking risks. If you are competitors and you can overtake, you need to take risks - but at the same point the rules are going against the spectaculars.

"Ten years ago everyone was fighting and touching each other, because there were no penalties. Now we need to adapt ourselves."

CRASH WAS 'SOFT'

Maldonado said he had spoken to Gutierrez after the crash to go through what happened.

And he thinks that perhaps too much was made of the incident because of the freak circumstances that resulted in the roll.

The Lotus driver argued that Jules Bianchi's clash with Adrian Sutil, which was dealt with via an in-race penalty alone, was comparable.

"It was a soft crash," he said. "In my opinion it was a normal race contact - but because of the low nose as soon as I touched his sidepod he took off immediately.

"So it was a bit shocking from that point of view, and I didn't expect him to fly like that. But that is what we have.

"I think the penalty was related to the magnitude of what we saw, but not because of the contact.

"In my opinion, it was exactly the same as [Jules] Bianchi. It was normal race contact."

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    he says that, yet at the front we were subject to a great battle where two drivers fighting for the win didn't need to "touch", as he so generously puts it.

where's that vid i put of all his "touchings"..i'm sure its only a few pages back
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    He's just a liability on the track in my eyes, about time he retired from F1 and went into banger racing

Superior Member

PSN ID
    Jordie-SCO-
    Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg will discuss with Lewis Hamilton his concern their fight for victory at the Bahrain Grand Prix went "over the line".

Hamilton won the race, and Rosberg said it had been "respectful racing" except for one incident in which he felt his British team-mate was too aggressive.

"It's normal when, as a team you have races where there are intense battles, you sit down and discuss," he said.

"That's important. We are doing that to be able to put it behind us."

The incident in question happened at Turn Two on lap 18, as Hamilton cut across the front of his German team-mate to retain the lead.

Hamilton said he had to do it to ensure he was better placed to defend his position on the run down to Turn Four.

Rosberg felt the speed at which Hamilton came across in front of him was "above the limits - the rate at which it was pushing me out".

He added: "If the rate is too fast, I will struggle to avoid the accident."
    Play media

Mercedes duo's desert duel

The two men will review the race with their team on Thursday, ahead of practice at the Chinese Grand Prix on Friday.

But Rosberg underlined it was not a big concern and said he did not expect it to be a problem for the drivers.

He added: "It's likely it will continue to be a close battle. It was a big thrill and an enjoyable fight, that is what racing is about.

"You need to learn from what has happened. It is not the first time we've had a battle, or the first time it's been a little bit close. We have had so many right back to 12 years old.

"There can be intense discussions afterwards, but we always move on with the necessary respect. That's the way it's always worked and I think it will work in the future."

Hamilton said he had watched a re-run of the race after returning to the UK from Bahrain.

"It was quite an exciting race," he said. "I got to spend some time at home with the family at the weekend and we watched the highlights.

"It was quite interesting to see the duel between each team and between team-mates. It was a bit more like a go-kart race. Whether or not it will always be like that… I hope there are more races like that through the year."

This one's quite a long article so here's the URL http://www.pitpass.com/51371/Formula...asters-series?
    Nico Rosberg Sergio Perez Kevin Magnussen

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Surebrec
    I find it somewhat ironic rosberg being critical of another driver's aggrssive actions, especially considering his own in the past which were considerably more dangerous.
    Don't waste your words I don't need anything from you.
    I don't care where you've been or what you plan to do.
    I am the resurrection and I am the light.
    I couldn't ever bring myself to hate you as I'd like.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1986 View Post
    This makes me laugh, just remove Maldonado from the race track and there will be hardly any collisions to penalize
    Maldonado is a plonker, the nose had nothing to do with the car flipping over.

22MB
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Video/mald.avi
    If I upped this to youtube I bet it would get flagged and blocked.
    Last edited by keefy; 04-17-2014 at 18:41.

Elite Sage
    That time again gents. A brine waking up/staying up for FP1? I will be

Which Silver arrow will win? Rosberg has had a bit of success around this track and he has also a point to prove so
    I think it belongs to him.

Mercedes also have a new short nose

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Ugh those times! Well I guess I'll catch FP2 tomorrow and Quali for sure before work. Time to set my alarm!

Superior Member

PSN ID
    Jordie-SCO-
    Gonna try and stay up for P1. Probably not worth it but hey ho, i've not heard or seen an F1 car for 2 weeks :P
    Nico Rosberg Sergio Perez Kevin Magnussen

Elite Sage
    Yup, I'm up for FP1 but I've been playing BF4 with about 6 of us so the time flew by. Impressed by where Alonso has dragged his Ferrari so far but obviously FP times mean nothing

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    1..2..3.. Maldonado LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

Can't believe it's uploaded already!

18. Likes BBK.. , Duffman likes this post
    Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    He did a 2007 Hamilton!

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Except unlike Hamilton, Maldonado's was in the dry, Hamilton skidded on a very wet track with wet tyres that had no tread left on them.

Oh and Hamilton didn't hit the wall, that's Maldonado's job.

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Ok, it was more or less what Hamilton did, smart ass

I am going to miss qualifying tomorrow morning as I will be at work

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1986 View Post
    Ok, it was more or less what Hamilton did, smart ass

I am going to miss qualifying tomorrow morning as I will be at work
    Don't you have the weekend off duff? It's easter.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Again with the rain -_-

Tapatalking
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Surebrec
    vettel getting bossed by ricciardo once again

oh, completely average, wherefor art thou?
    Don't waste your words I don't need anything from you.
    I don't care where you've been or what you plan to do.
    I am the resurrection and I am the light.
    I couldn't ever bring myself to hate you as I'd like.

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Naive people thinking Nico would touch Lewis this weekend! Nico will ONLY best LEWIS if he has a car issue or ****s up his own lap!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Quote Originally Posted by 33x View Post
    Naive people thinking Nico would touch Lewis this weekend! Nico will ONLY best LEWIS if he has a car issue or ****s up his own lap!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    Let me just quote you a little paragraph from the Autosport qualifying report:

Rosberg had looked set to take provisional pole away from Hamilton on his second run, but he carried too much speed into the hairpin, running wide and preventing him from improving.
    I like Hamilton as much as the next guy and more than happy he got pole but you have to give Nico some credit for what he is doing battling with a better teammate, not saying he still would have beaten Lewis but shows you what could have been!

Great for Riccardo out qualifying Vettel again, really has stepped up to the mark since his move and even then some!!

Thread Information