Page 218 of 263 FirstFirst ... 208218228 ... LastLast
Results 5,426 to 5,450 of 6573
    Elite Sage

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Formula 1 Thread

Fortunately I was too young to appreciate F1 over that weekend. I would've been 4.

I feel bad for Roland though, his death is over shadowed but as an article put it, if not for Senna would he still be remembered?

Nice bit of humanity there from Michael. Really hope he pulls through soon. Been almost half a year now.

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.
    Last edited by BBK..; 04-30-2014 at 15:29.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    You can also see that Hakkinen was trying to put on a brave face as well but on top of Michael's emotions pouring out even he was about to go into the same state. They really should have stopped the interviews, especially after Hakkinen asked. Ralph wasn't phased because he didn't know Senna but the other two raced along side him for 3 seasons.

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    It's a very good question, I don't think he would be remembered as well if not for Senna suffering the same fate at the same Grand Prix!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/duffman041986/profile

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Wow now this is news I have never heard before:

Luca di Montezemolo claims that he was in talks with Ayrton Senna that could have brought the Brazilian to the Ferrari Formula 1 team when he was killed in 1994.

The Ferrari president revealed on the team's website that he met with Senna four days before the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix.

He insists Senna was keen to switch to Ferrari and that ways of allowing him to move from Williams were going to be evaluated.

"He wanted to come to Ferrari and I wanted him in the team," said di Montezemolo.

"When he was in Italy for the San Marino Grand Prix, we met at my home in Bologna on Wednesday 27 April.

"He told me he really appreciated the stand we had taken against the excessive use of electronic aids for driving, which didn't allow a driver's skill to shine through.

"We spoke for a long time and he made it clear to me that he wanted to end his career at Ferrari, having come close to joining us a few years earlier.

"We agreed to meet again so as to look at how we could overcome his contractual obligations at the time.

"We were both in agreement that Ferrari would be the ideal place for him to further his career, which to date had been brilliant, even unique."

Di Montezemolo also paid tribute to Senna's approach to racing.

"I always appreciated Ayrton's style of racing," he said.

"As with all great champions, he had an incredible will to win and never tired of seeking perfection, trying to improve all the time.

"He was extraordinary in qualifying, but also a great battler in the races, when he always fought tooth and nail."

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    Fortunately I was too young to appreciate F1 over that weekend. I would've been 4.

I feel bad for Roland though, his death is over shadowed but as an article put it, if not for Senna would he still be remembered?

Nice bit of humanity there from Michael. Really hope he pulls through soon. Been almost half a year now.

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.
    I was 2 years, 11 months, old. All i know is what i've seen in the highlight reels and doco's.

I only gauge the respect he demands from the way other drivers talk about him, as in the Vid Duffman posted - Two world champions who raced along side him. My star is Schumey, i grew up watching him, i imagine it's how people feel about Senna.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

6. Likes Duffman likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Surebrec
    I witnessed both their careers, and personally, senna > schumacher. to this day, I still have my doubts about schumacher's true greatness.
    Don't waste your words I don't need anything from you.
    I don't care where you've been or what you plan to do.
    I am the resurrection and I am the light.
    I couldn't ever bring myself to hate you as I'd like.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Surebrec
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1986 View Post
    Wow now this is news I have never heard before:
    I think the only element of truth to that was that montezemolo wanted him at ferrari.

senna had his chances to go to ferrari when they were winning races, he chose not to. by the time LM was "speaking to him", the team was an utter wreck.

I think the intention was to finish his career at williams, and if things ever fell apart from there, he would have gone back to mclaren.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Surebrec View Post
    I witnessed both their careers, and personally, senna > schumacher. to this day, I still have my doubts about schumacher's true greatness.
    I don't particularly like to compare drivers across generations. Senna could have been one of the worst drivers if put in a car full of electronics. You take away a drivers feel for the car and he is lost, after all. - This is purely an exaggerated example. Merely to express the point. I don't believe Senna would've been the worst driver at all.

It's the same way i don't compare Schumacher to Hamilton or Vettel. They have different cars, different regulations, everything is different, even the race tracks are different - run-offs, and tecpro barriers.

That being said, everything Schumacher touched turned into a winning team. Bennaton, Ferrari and now the Mercs. I consider him to be one of the greats, equal to any from the past. He'd do things in the car other drivers couldn't. In 2012, he went through the swimming pool chicane in monaco using only one hand, the other hand being on the brake adjust lever. In 2002 (i think) he'd do the same around Sepang circuit - taking fast corners with only one hand on the steering wheel.

I imagine its this kind of stuff that got people to like senna, plus his determination to win, and his race craft. These are things i saw when i watched Schumacher race. On his return to the sport, he showed his race craft again, albeit in a much slower car. He raced hamilton fair a few times, and Alonso too iirc. - BUT, the guy was akin to a freaking dinosaur by F1 standards at this point
    IMO, he retired one or two seasons too early (the first time). But, c'est la vie.
    Last edited by Fijiandoce; 04-30-2014 at 19:55.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Surebrec
    by "car full of electronics", I assume you mean active suspension, traction control, semi auto gearboxes etc? if so, senna drove cars full of electronics. he also drove in a period where there were none of the above, and equally excelled.

senna made the switch to mclaren after outstanding stints at both lotus and toleman, to challenge who he and the rest of the world saw as the then greatest driver in modern times, and in doing so, effectively destroyed him mentally.

the luxuries schumacher had that senna didn't. is that he drove in an era where he genuinely didn't have any peers. wherever he went, the team was built around him and he hand picked his team mates, whose sole role was to effectively play rear gunner for him. several team mates over the years attested to the one-sidedness of how the teams were set up around schumacher. the information flow within benetton and to a lesser extent ferrari was very one directional.

one notable example being that he had the freedom to view his team mates telemetary, but the same courtesy was very rarely afforded, ir ever.

and as for everything schumacher touching turning to gold, that was more down the the personnel back at the factory doing all the spadework than it was michael.

the brains that made ferrari dominant from the mid 90's onward, was largely the same that was responsible for benetton's supremacy. it's no coincidence that once the benetton workforce had got their feet under the tables at ferrari, the upturn in performance came soon after.

and yes, I can compare the two, they did share a couple of seasons racing together, and prior to 1994, in lesser machinery, senna made the better use of it.

for the large part of his career, schumacher didn't have team mates of the same calibre than senna had, and I strongly believe the field of talent was closer in the mid 80's to early 90's than it was after. from the point of senna's demise, to the advent of alonso, raikkonen, hamilton etc, he was peerless.

I'm not saying schumacher isn't a great, he is, but personally, I refuse to say or even acknowledge he is the greatest. too many odds were stacked in his favour.

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Great Autosport report on Senna, well worth a read:

Ayrton Senna was the most committed man I ever met.

The sheer depth of his approach to his profession was something few ordinary people could truly understand. We speak of breathing, eating and sleeping a subject; well, Ayrton did just that but nothing else mattered so much to him in the world.

He even subjugated his first marriage, and for a long time thereafter avoided serious relationships, just to pursue the on track excellence that he so often displayed and which was so vital to him.

His need for it was like his religion. And the commitment he brought to achieving it was fearsome and, at times, frightening.

Writing these words, I keep recalling times when his passion would bring tears welling into those deep brown eyes, which could sparkle with warmth at you, or rake you so coldly and disdainfully that you felt touched by an arctic wind.

In Adelaide in 1989, when he pleaded for the media's help to battle FISA ogre Jean-Marie Balestre, the tears were there.

"You have a lot of things behind you when you follow a passion," he said. "Anyone who prevents an athlete from going to the highest place strikes a major blow to his mind and motivation. In that situation everything goes against you in your heart."

It was an uncomfortable feeling to watch a man so plainly exposing his feelings, and not even his detractors drew any satisfaction from seeing him so vulnerable.

At Jerez in 1990 he was literally spellbinding as he spoke of why he visited Martin Donnelly, as he lay crumpled on the racetrack, and how he then went out and lapped faster than ever.

Later that year in Adelaide I asked him why he had done that. Had he deliberately ventured to the edge of the pit and looked over to learn something, to prove something to himself?

There was a long long pause, and again his eyes grew damp. Finally, his voice was just a croaky whisper that you had to strain to hear.

"For myself," he said. "I did it because anything like that can happen to any of us. I didn't see anything and I didn't know how bad it was. I knew it was something bad, but people just go crazy and say all kinds of stupid things. I wanted to go see for myself. Afterwards I didn't know how fast I could go. Or how slow."

There was another long pause, and I asked him if he felt he had to be brave to do that. His mind was totally focused on the grim events of that afternoon, and now his eyes were swimming.

"As a racing driver there were some things you have to go through, to cope with. Sometimes they are not human, yet you go through it and do them just because of the feelings that you get by driving, that you don't get in another profession. Some of the things, you have to face them."

Whatever personal test he put himself through that day in Spain, he came through it with honour. The unenlightened may say a driver should never perform in such a condition, but what Senna did that day was abnormally brave.

It was Neville Duke breaking the sound barrier at Farnborough in 1952, to keep the crowd from panicking immediately after his friend John Derry had plunged to his death when the experimental De Havilland DH110 had broken up.

It was Jimmy Carruthers standing on the gas in his Eagle for 10 miles at 195mph at Indianapolis in 1973 the day his friend Art Pollard perished.

It was pure, cold anger and courage combined to produce an almost supernatural performance. I never admired Ayrton more than I did that day.

The trouble was, there were two Ayrton Sennas. The one, and sadly I never did more than scratch its surface or peek within its shadows, was an intense, funny, loyal and warm character. But the other could be a monster, the bully of the track. The intimidator.

I met him in 1982 when he came into Formula 3 and walked away with the non-championship race at Thruxton on the first run for ****ie Bennetts. But when his championship campaign got under the way the following year I illustrated my report with a photo of him spinning. Both caption and text explained that this was the sole mistake he made all weekend, the rest was appositely complimentary. Ayrton didn't like that. A little note went in his mental card index.

As race followed race, there was nothing one could write but how brilliant he was; it was clear from the outset that he was destined for greatness, and after we'd done the usual cautious bit about waiting for everyone else to reveal their natural pace after the first few races, it was clear that only Martin Brundle had the ghost of a chance of staying with him.

The trouble was that Ayrton often felt that the British press was against him even then, not because he was paranoid, but because he was a shy, unworldly kid who was learning about life in a tough environment.

As it happened, he was wrong, but he was the sort of person who could not really take criticism. Either you were with him all the way, or you weren't. For or against.

If you were critical, he became suspicious of your motives. The trust began to break down. In the middle of 1983 I interviewed him at Silverstone for our British GP meeting build up. We stood by his modest silver AlfaSud and he struck me then as a vulnerable character who would cloak that inner sensitivity with a hard outer shell. When things got tough on the personal front he would retreat into that shell, and over the years and as he became ever more successful, it became more and more impervious.

Though we had our spats, I liked the first Senna immensely. It was impossible not to. Time spent in his company was never wasted, was always interesting. He had that way of considering every word, not because he was unfamiliar with the English language (God knows, he was so fluent he could use all sorts of complicated expressions) but because he wanted to get his thoughts across precisely. You began to understand what he must be like at debriefs. By legend, he went on for hours at McLaren.

The second Senna I didn't like, the arrogant character who could completely blank from his emotions people that he didn't like or trust. But if I'm honest his was the most forceful style one would subconsciously adopt whenever racing karts or whatever. I'm not talking about speed, but about aggression and stealing a rival's track space. Mentally you would want to be Prost, all smoothness and grace; actually you were a very pale (virtually transparent) Senna, of course lacking his skill, but intimidators, fire breathing... Hypocritical maybe, but true. That's the way it was.

But I was always saddened that a man who was so clearly possessed of an awesome talent should resort to such tactics. Tuggers might, yes, as a means of trying to hide their basic inadequacies, but he really didn't need to, and that was the awful thing.

He will be remembered as a wonderful driver, a man whose sheer artistry at the wheel could be a joy to watch, but also as the one who set the tone whereby hard driving - and at times, it has to be said, dirty driving - has become an acceptable part of motor racing.

At Estoril in 1988 he had demonstrated the dark side of his character by deliberately swerving at Prost as they raced wheel to wheel down the pit straight at 190mph. Afterwards Prost told him: "If you want the world championship badly enough to die for it, you are welcome."

Time and again Senna's blend of impetuosity and self-righteousness led him into trouble. He railed against exclusion from victory the 1989 Japanese Grand Prix after that famous collision with Prost, accusing the sport's governing body of cheating him out of a second title. He was forced to make an apology of sorts to Balestre before he was granted a licence for the following year.

By then Prost had left for Ferrari, and the two fought for the championship again at Suzuka. There, in the move that prompted many to question his equilibrium and the depths to which his sheer competitive intensity would drive him, he smashed into the back of Prost's Ferrari when the Frenchman beat him to the first corner. With both retiring on the spot, he clinched his second championships at Prost's expense.

Two weeks later when I showed him a series of photographs of the incident, and asked him why he had apparently driven Prost off the road, he refused pointblank to accept the damming evidence in front of us, denying even the physical positions of the of the cars despite what the photographer had recorded.

A year later, in an extraordinary, expletive-peppered outburst following victory in the Japanese Grand Prix, which had clinched his third world championship, he finally admitted what we all knew: that he had deliberately driven Prost off the track, that it had been *** for tat for what he had seen as Prost's role in his 1989 downfall.

Born of wealthy parents in Sao Paulo in 1960, Ayrton Senna da Silva began racing karts when he was four, with the encouragement of his father Milton. Such was his progress through the motorsport ranks that he was one of those rare individuals: a man so clearly marked for greatness that a world championship was inevitable.

When he arrived in Britain in 1981 he raced with the colourful Dennis Rushen.

"He was so quiet," Rushen recalled, "that he was always the guy you found standing shyly in the kitchen at parties."

He remained thus for many years, although it was only a short time before his English improved to the point where he no longer could be duped into greeting fresh acquaintances with earthy Anglo-Saxon that the team had coached him in...

Such was that extraordinary level of commitment that he brought to his motor racing, that clashes with fellow rivals and the media was inevitable. He had a towering self-belief that sometimes bordered on zealotry.

The first manifestation of that came at Cadwell Park in 1983. He'd won nine consecutive F3 races, but crashed heavily in practice for this 10th round.

But even while his car was out of control, he kept his foot hard on the power. He would never surrender anything without a fight.

He won the championship that year and immediately sprang into Formula 1 with the Toleman team for 1984.

He scored his first world championship point in only his second grand prix, when despite heat exhaustion he brought his car home sixth in South Africa. Two races later he would have won in Monaco in the wet if there had been any justice in the world.

Later that year came more signs of the other side of his nature, when he left the team in acrimonious circumstances to join Lotus.

Alex Hawkridge was the manager of Toleman, and once the news of Senna's impending defection had been revealed, he suspended him from the Italian Grand Prix before the end of their relationship. Senna was stunned.

"I did it," Hawkridge revealed, "because it was important to teach him that for every negative action you perform in life there is a penalty."

It was a lesson that Senna never forgot, even if he never came to approve of any sanction against himself.

With Lotus he won his first grand prix, in Portugal in 1985, but by 1987 he had lost patience as he covetously eyed Alain Prost's situation at McLaren.

Their partnership there in 1988 would eventually make all other sporting feuds look like kindergarten kids scrapping over Lego blocks, but by the end of that season the first world championship had been delivered, in true Senna style.

He stalled his car at the start of the Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka, before storming home to win on a track rendered greasy by rain. On the way he beat Prost soundly. The rest, of course, we know.

Without question Ayrton Senna was an extraordinary individual. The kinder Senna was the sort of man who would give up his seat to usher an old lady down the stairs while once waiting for an appointment with Professor Syd Watkins, that great character who admired him so much and for whom we all felt so much as he ultimately had to administer to him at the Tamburello corner which claimed his life.

In his homeland Senna was lionised, and he made significant charitable donations which he never remotely attempted to publicise. He loved children, too. "They are the honest ones," he once said.

If he didn't like you, you knew it; in 1986 he was at war with the British press after preventing Derek Warwick from joining him at Lotus. Over the years that animosity mellowed, but often the feeling he nurtured that his trust had been betrayed causing flare-ups.

He was roundly condemned last year for striking rival Eddie Irvine - again, almost inevitably, at Suzuka - and the cold war began again.

But whatever some of his failings may have been, he was a man with whom you always knew where you stood, and though his tactics on the track were frequently and deliberately intimidatory, he was without question one of the greatest racing drivers the world has ever known. To see Senna on a quick lap was to be awed by majesty.

On Friday afternoon he took pole position for the race in which he died, to increase his record to 65. With a commanding success in his last race for the McLaren team in 1993 he had taken his total of grand prix victories to 41, second only to arch-rival Prost. It still seems utterly inconceivable that more will not follow.

When Jim Clark died at Hockenheim in 1968 his passing stunning the motor racing world. Chris Amon, one of the few men with the talent to challenge the brilliant Scot, summarised every other driver's feelings when he said: "We were all left feeling totally exposed, vulnerable. We all felt, 'If it can happen to Jimmy, what chance have we got?'" Jackie Stewart said that his death was to motor racing what the atomic bomb had been to the world.

The cruel events of last weekend at Imola have set the sport back 30 years in terms of the public's perception of its safety, and have plunged it back into such nightmares.

Ayrton Senna's death during the San Marino Grand Prix has had precisely the same effect as Jimmy's. People are genuinely frightened for the same reasons, for Ayrton had always exuded such an air of mastery and total invincibility, and been able to command the best equipment, that we had always expected him to defy the sort of odds that took Gilles Villeneuve, who so often had to drive beyond the limit to make his cars competitive.

Cruelly, it is as if Ayrton's career ended when he left McLaren, for 1994 had already been a nightmare before he went to Italy.

Some will say he was rattled by the progress Michael Schumacher and Benetton had made, that he was pushing just that bit too far. But that was precisely his make up. Push, push, push. Never give up.

"I am not designed to finish second or third," he once said. "I am designed to win."

He never gave an under-par performance in his life, and would never do anything less than reach out for a new ultimate. That was why he set that record of 65 poles, which may never be challenged. Why he took those 41 grand prix triumphs. Why he was out front, pushing, when he died.

Alain Prost was the only man in Formula 1 who could truly match him at times on all levels, not just sheer speed but smoothness, car control and the depth of technical feedback and analysis. All he lacked was Ayrton's sheer aggression.

Of course they had their differences, many of them laced with bitterness, but Prost was in tears as he commentated for the French TF1 network on Sunday afternoon.

Senna had the mind of a computer and the emotions of a Latin. He was still the yardstick by which all other racers were judged. More than that, he was the yardstick by which they judged themselves.

To the real stars, matching or even beating Senna was the greatest possible triumph. An endorsement of one's own greatness.

Few could ever achieve that, let alone aspire to it. Prost could. Mansell could. Berger, Schumacher and Alesi could. At times.

But more often than not he had a race won before it had started. To lesser lights, finishing second to him was as good as a victory.

When he and Frank Williams finally consummated their long-running romance for 1994, he spoke of the need for a fresh challenge, and at Imola he was determined to redress the points imbalance between himself and Schumacher that had made the season so exciting after the first two races.

His outstanding ability to relate to his engineers precisely what his machinery was doing at any given point on a circuit, on any given lap, has passed into grand prix legend, and he was making progress.

At Suzuka last year we all went to a small gathering where Honda was giving out books to commemorate its grand prix involvement. We asked several of the guys there to sign them. This was pre-Irvine, but at times our relationship had again been uneasy in 1993. I proffered my book and smiled, and said: "You don't have to if you don't want to." He smiled back, relaxed, care-free, forgiving.

"Time," he said as his left hand went to work, "is the big thing." How little we knew.

Perhaps we never really knew him at all, perhaps we knew parts of him too well. I'm just grateful that we were acquainted, and that in my dotage I will be able to tell my grandchildren with pride and misty eyes, "Yes, I saw Senna race."

A flawed genius he undoubtedly was, but last weekend, just as in 1968 and again in 1982, motor racing lost one of the greatest kings it will ever know. To many - especially those with whom he worked - Ayrton Senna will always be the greatest.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Surebrec View Post
    by "car full of electronics", I assume you mean active suspension, traction control, semi auto gearboxes etc? if so, senna drove cars full of electronics. he also drove in a period where there were none of the above, and equally excelled.
    I imagine all of what you said was based around this premise, and as i said, i merely used it as an example. you could switch in any driver, and any component/car tech. Could use Juan Manuel Fangio if you wanted.

All i wanted to point out was it is unfair to equally compare drivers of different generations/eras. Heck, you could say it's unfair to compare even during a generation given the way formula 1 evolves.

and yes, I can compare the two, they did share a couple of seasons racing together, and prior to 1994, in lesser machinery, senna made the better use of it.
    Didn't Senna race in Two Williams and a Mclaren during Schumacher's early years? surely Schumacher had the lesser car during his early races? im not proving a point im just seeking clarity. The Mclarens and Williams of that time were the Mercs and RedBulls of the current circuit iirc....as i say, i was 2 years old at this point and this stuff was years, and years away

This is why i don't say one is greater than the other. Juan Manuel fangio, Sir Jim Clarke, Senna, Schumacher are all greats of the sport. that's where my distinction ends, i simply enjoy Schumacher more as i got to watch him race live
    Last edited by Fijiandoce; 05-01-2014 at 12:11.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    They where all greats of their era, just like Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel and Riakonnen are great of their era because when Schumacher returned in 2010 he rarely even managed to beat his team mate let alone any other top class driver. He was the best back then but the new breed are better now!

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Surebrec
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    I imagine all of what you said was based around this premise, and as i said, i merely used it as an example. you could switch in any driver, and any component/car tech. Could use Juan Manuel Fangio if you wanted.

All i wanted to point out was it is unfair to equally compare drivers of different generations/eras. Heck, you could say it's unfair to compare even during a generation given the way formula 1 evolves.

Didn't Senna race in Two Williams and a Mclaren during Schumacher's early years? surely Schumacher had the lesser car during his early races? im not proving a point im just seeking clarity. The Mclarens and Williams of that time were the Mercs and RedBulls of the current circuit iirc....as i say, i was 2 years old at this point and this stuff was years, and years away

This is why i don't say one is greater than the other. Juan Manuel fangio, Sir Jim Clarke, Senna, Schumacher are all greats of the sport. that's where my distinction ends, i simply enjoy Schumacher more as i got to watch him race live
    senna raced for williams in 3 races, completing none of them. the chassis for the 94 season was beset by handling issues. it was only well into the second half of the season where they started to get on top of them. the B194 on the other hand, was generally the more superior than the FW16. it is widely believed to have been legally questionable in certain areas. right from the start of the season is was somewhat apparent that they had some form of advantage from standstill, the B194 killed the FW16 off the grid and during pit stops. williams was even asked by senna to protest, which they refused to do because they didn't have any firm basis to do so other than driver suspicion.

later in the season it became more apparent, and at the start of the french GP, it was about as obvious that it could get. a heavier B194, with an inferior ford engine leaving the williams renault for dead.

I think it was sometime after that that flavio briatore came out and admitted the benetton did indeed have the TC software installed, but not "activated". not many people believed him of course, it really just confirmed what a lot of people thought beforehand.

the mclarens of 93, and to a lesser extent 92 were not as good as the benetton of the same seasons. mclaren were also at the disadvantage of not having full technical support from ford, whereas benetton did. there was a measurable HP advantage between the 2 engines, despite them both being ford engines.

and just in case you thinks I am a senna fan, I'm not. I'm as much a supporter of senna as I was of schumacher, in other words not very much.

that gives me the advantage of viewing the situation through unbiased eyes.

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Hmm Azerbaijan claims 2016 European Grand Prix Formula 1 deal.....

Azerbaijan claims that it has signed a deal that will result in it hosting Formula 1's European Grand Prix in 2016.

The country's capital Baku has been linked with F1 for several months, but local political chiefs now suggest a contract has been agreed with Bernie Ecclestone to hold a street race in two years' time, a year after the former Soviet republic hosts the inaugural European Games.

Azad Rahimov, Azerbaijan's Minister of Youth and Sports, was quoted as saying by the Inside the Games website that an official announcement confirming the race will be made imminently.

"We have signed the deal with Bernie Ecclestone and will announce it officially with an event in Baku shortly," he said.

Baku has hosted Azerbaijan's first international motor races over the past two years: the non-championship Baku City Challenge took place on a 1.33-mile street circuit in 2012 and last year it held the FIA GT Series finale on a new 2.72-mile layout.

The city is scheduled to host the final round of this year's Blancpain Sprint Series, which takes over from FIA GTs, this November.

It has yet to emerge whether the grand prix would run on the streets of Baku or on an all-new F1 facility near the city.

Baku would need to come up with a completely new circuit for Formula 1.

Neither of the tracks laid out on the streets of the Azerbaijan capital for its end-of-season GT races in 2012 and '13 could form the basis of an F1 venue.

The point-and-squirt circuit used in year one was under a mile and a half in length and offered little challenge, while last season's 2.72-mile track was only $#@!logated to FIA grade 3 and would be unsuitable for anything much faster than a GT3 car.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    Jordie-SCO-
    Its a nice location, but not sure if the fan base is there to make it work. Mind you, that's not stopped F1 before.....
    Nico Rosberg Sergio Perez Kevin Magnussen

Superior Member

PSN ID
    Jordie-SCO-
    Btw, Senna is on tonight on ITV4 at 10:30

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    IS it just me or is Europe getting larger?

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by JordieDAFC View Post
    Btw, Senna is on tonight on ITV4 at 10:30
    I watched it a few days ago so I'm not going to bother. While I was close to shedding a tear towards the end of this it was nothing compared to 1: Life on the Limit. To be honest Senna wasn't that good of a documentary.

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    I watched it a few days ago so I'm not going to bother. While I was close to shedding a tear towards the end of this it was nothing compared to 1: Life on the Limit. To be honest Senna wasn't that good of a documentary.
    I've still not seen that 1: Life on the Limit yet, really need to watch that!

Superior Member

PSN ID
    Jordie-SCO-
    So, Mclaren are rumored to be testing a new nose which is of the same design as the Lotus nose.

Mercedes are testing an "exhaust megaphone" in an attempt to make the cars louder...

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Yep, it's all happening at the Spanish GP, this usually is the time when teams bring in some significant upgrades to their cars! Let's hope McLaren's make a real difference! Looks like it's still Hamilton setting the pace, second and seventh for McLaren though so hopefully that's a good sign although it's only first practice!

Pos Driver Team Time Gap Laps
    1. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1:27.023s 17
    2. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1:27.891s +0.868s 26
    3. Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull-Renault 1:27.973s +0.950s 21
    4. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1:28.128s +1.105s 23
    5. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1:28.168s +1.145s 9
    6. Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari 1:28.337s +1.314s 19
    7. Kevin Magnussen McLaren-Mercedes 1:28.423s +1.400s 27
    8. Pastor Maldonado Lotus-Renault 1:28.744s +1.721s 34
    9. Sergio Perez Force India-Mercedes 1:28.779s +1.756s 18
    10. Felipe Massa Williams-Mercedes 1:28.791s +1.768s 13
    11. Daniil Kvyat Toro Rosso-Renault 1:28.792s +1.769s 24
    12. Nico Hulkenberg Force India-Mercedes 1:28.828s +1.805s 17
    13. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso-Renault 1:28.859s +1.836s 24
    14. Felipe Nasr Williams-Mercedes 1:29.272s +2.249s 15
    15. Adrian Sutil Sauber-Ferrari 1:29.688s +2.665s 16
    16. Jules Bianchi Marussia-Ferrari 1:29.820s +2.797s 22
    17. Romain Grosjean Lotus-Renault 1:29.444s +2.421s 21
    18. Giedo van der Garde Sauber-Ferrari 1:30.440s +3.417s 21
    19. Max Chilton Marussia-Ferrari 1:30.748s +3.725s 19
    20. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1:30.942s +3.919s 4
    21. Kamui Kobayashi Caterham-Renault 1:30.997s +3.974s 22
    22. Marcus Ericsson Caterham-Renault 1:31.421s +4.398s

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    As long as my boy does well and mclaren do poor its all good

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Who's watching Qualifying today then?

Elite Sage

Silly question Duffman I shall be enjoying the first qually of the season I haven't had to get up ridiculously early for

BBK.. Tapatalking

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    12am, not missing qually or race this weekend

Tapatalking
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Thread Information