Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 515 ... LastLast
    Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    Just got these:

Private Peaceful I loved when I read it like 6 years ago, its the Divergent series I'm excited to read
    The Divergent books are REALLY good. I read them last year. The third one comes out in a month so you have some time to finish them.
    It's funny that in this day in age people can steal as long as they have a reason too. Even if that reason is created by the thieves themselves.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by TEJ2025 View Post
    The Divergent books are REALLY good. I read them last year. The third one comes out in a month so you have some time to finish them.
    Thats why I bought them now (also the movie comes out next year) so I wanted to read them before that

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Just started on this.

~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

4. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Forum Guru
    Currently reading 4th book of Wheel of Time.
    Will read Inferno next for a change of pace. (then most likely some Wheel.. and perhaps some Gregg Bear as distraction..)
    -------
    Couple of nice blog posts about OpenGL.
    The Truth on OpenGL Driver Quality
    Things that drive me nuts about OpenGL

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Just finished Divergent and Insurgent.

My Thoughts:
    The series is over rated plain and simple. The elephant in the room is the comparison with The Hunger Games trilogy which I consider to be far superior in all aspects. With that said it is STILL a good read. Contrary to popular opinion I found the second book to be better than the first because it discusses the aftermath of some events and shows the characters trying to deal with it. The second book also has MUCH more plot twists that make it more intriguing (dat ending).

My major complaint with the series is the protagonist. She is selfish, arrogant and cowardly in the most ironic sense as she tries to be brave. Most disliked character. The writing gets too cheesy sometimes and its evident sometimes its written by an amateur girl because of the overuse of lovey dovey scenes

Overall I rate:
    Divergent 3/5
    Insurgent 4/5
    Last edited by Itachi; 08-04-2013 at 05:11.

PSN ID
    Auctopus
    The Hunters - James Salter.

Decided to start reading him after a lot of publications created buzz for him preceding his new novel. Though that book hasn't supposedly reached the heights of his older works, 'The Hunters' is apparently the best place to start.

I can't complain so far, the book follows a handful of fighter pilots during the tail-end (I think) of the Korean War. I'm only about 70(/200) pages in and nothing much has happened but I'm enjoying it. Which I suppose is a sign of good writing.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Finished King of Thorns and can't wait to start the third book. Honestly anyone who likes fantasy should gives this trilogy a look, this guy is a brilliant writer

In the mean time I'm gonna go back and finish Excession (RIP Iain Banks) and maybe another of the Culture novels, since I have most of them.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Ordered 2 books yesterday:
    No god but God
    Shatter Me

Arrived:

Last edited by Itachi; 08-14-2013 at 20:38.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    I'm reading a random novel called "Carrier". It's pretty good.
    Currently Playing: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire for the Nintendo 3DS

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post
    Just started on this.

I bought it about one or two months ago. I just haven't gotten around to it.
    Currently Playing: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire for the Nintendo 3DS

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    F.A. Hayek- The Road to Serfdom.
    excellent book for resurfacing economic ad political trends. if there's anyone into that stuff besides me lol

moving on tapatalk

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Libra-75
    Just finished the fourth (fifth if you count Shadow of the Scorpion) book about Ian Cormac by Neal Asher, "Polity Agent". As usual I really like his style of writing. The world building and focus on technology really speaks to me.

Right now I've started reading Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith. Watched the film quite recently and thought I should read the book too, to compare the two. I have had the book lying around for a while, so it's about time I got around to reading it.

PSN ID
    scogg34
    Day of the Dragon book one ( World of Warcraft). Hate the PC game, but love the lore involved. Waiting patiently for book 6 of SOFAI, but I know its still a long wait. Re-read Fight Club last month... Love that book.

El Presidente
    Deception Point -Dan Brown

I like it so far and its a thick book so I imagine it will be a bit before I finish it.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

El Presidente
    Ok question for Batman fans here. I have never read a single Batman comic book, ever. I want to but I have no idea where to start. I do love Batman but I feel I'm not a very good fan if I haven't read at least some of the comics. Suggestions on where to start?

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Quote Originally Posted by podsaurus View Post
    Ok question for Batman fans here. I have never read a single Batman comic book, ever. I want to but I have no idea where to start. I do love Batman but I feel I'm not a very good fan if I haven't read at least some of the comics. Suggestions on where to start?
    Boy oh boy did you post in the correct place. I was you 6 months ago. Zero experience in comics and the only thing I wanted was to read Batman (my favourite superhero) so I looked into it. DC rebooted all their comics in 2011 so all of them have of issues in the 20s. In fact Batman#24 was released today.

So start Batman (New 52). If you like physical copies than 2 volumes are out (Vol1 - Collects 1-7 , Vol2 - Collects 7-13 and Vol3 - 13-17 got delayed to november 5th)

NOTE: Vol1 and Vol2 cover one big story arc so I suggest you buy them together like I did

if you can't wait for physical books then buy them monthly in digital form at Dc's site or comixology. Its currently the best DC comic out right now, period
    Last edited by Itachi; 10-10-2013 at 17:01.

El Presidente
    Sweet itachi thanks! I added them to my wishlist on amazon so I'll order then soon.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Libra-75
    I've finished two books since the last time I wrote in this thread. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith and Line War by Neal Asher.

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was a very enjoyable read. The book and the movie is two quite different beasts. The main theme and plot is the same, but the book takes you alot deeper in to the universe and focuses alot more on the drama. The movie is pretty much just action. Good Read.

Line War is the last book of five (six if you count the prequel, Shadow of the Scorpion) about agent Ian Cormac. I think Neal Asher did a really good job finishing this series. It's probably my favourite book of the series. When I look back in the rear view mirror I think it was good idea to read the prequel before the main series. It gives you more info about who Cormac is and where he comes from. I really love the style of these sci-fi books and the way Asher tells his stories. Definitely want to read more of his books.

Right now I just started reading Mainspring by Jay Lake. A steam punk book that I really hope is good.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Donna Tartt's new novel The Goldfinch. If you loved The Secret History but were disappointed in The Little Friend, The Goldfinch, though completely dissimilar in plot, is back close to The Secret History track. If you liked both her previous novels, you'll probably love The Goldfinch. If you've never read any Donna Tartt, read this one. It's exceptional.

I recently tried reading Of Dice And Men, a sort of Dungeons & Dragons primer and personal memoir written for people who don't play Dungeons & Dragons. It's pretty bad. It shines a bit early on during a brief history of more the sophisticated, lasting board games, and war strategy and battle reenactment games, but alas that's not where it should shine. It should, I think, provide some sort of eloquent, at least passionate, explanation of some people's undying if erratic love for D&D. The writer is a self-admitted super nerd, which is fine, but he writes like a self-admitted super nerd. His tone and style are off-putting, the book ecstatic where it should be disciplined and stone dull where it should be frenetic.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    have Allegiant (Divergent Finale) on my shelf but too busy to read
    Need to also read "The Ocean at the End of the Lane"

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Mistborn. Awesome book
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Finally You Are Free
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I finished 'The Name of the Wind' recently. It was enjoyable, though I wish the pacing has been a bit faster. It's the first book of the series though, so it's understandable. I'm moving onto its sequel:

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Libra-75
    I Recently finished Mainspring by Jay Lake. It was ok. I thought (and hoped) that it would be more heavy on the steam punk and sci-fi theme, but it was leaning more towards adventure with a touch of steam punk. Not bad, but definitely not great either.

Right now I'm reading Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (The Windup Girl). I liked The Windup Girl, so I hope this one is good as well.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Currently reading Full Black by Brad Thor. Maybe I'm a suckered for politics and espionage books, but his stories never disappoint

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    It's been a while since I posted in here. Let's see, where did I leave off...

I finished this and I didn't really enjoy it. It's a novel about the apocalypse and it tries to incorporate real-world conspiracies and spirituality into an over-the-top story, but I felt it ended up unfocused and mediocre.

This was a solid autobiography. It's about the singer/guitar player of Megadeth. If you're into rock/metal and interested in reading about the lifestyle, check it out.

I was pretty bored with this to be honest. It spends too much time on sub-genres I'm not interested in. Also, the author is too biased towards metal when discussing other genres.

He was my favorite athlete growing up. I enjoyed it a decent amount, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who isn't a fan. He spends quite a bit of time recapping many of the games he played.

This is just Penn telling interesting and funny stories from his life, mixed with some discussion on atheism. I enjoyed it a lot, simply because he tells some very interesting stories and his views are refreshing (although I don't necessarily agree 100%).

Now I'm starting this. Should be fun.

Thread Information